* Re: [9fans] Linuxemu
@ 2002-11-28 16:33 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> thanks a lot for linuxemu! However, I was only able to run the stuff
> included with /bin. Other linux progs (sort, bc...) did not work
> (see below). May it be they were dynamically linked with glibc?
> Thus, isn't there a dosemu around there? (Perhaps it would be easier

right, /bin is typically statically linked, while /usr/bin
is dynamically linked.  like i said, it wouldn't be too hard
to make dynamic linking work.  in theory,

	linuxemu ld-linux.so.1 bin/a.dynamic

is supposed to work, but unfortunately ld-linux.so.1
wants to be loaded where the linuxemu text segment is.
you'd need to move the linuxemu text segment somewhere
else and then segdetach it before calling elfload.  it's entirely
doable, especially since x86 code is position independent.

dosemu is much harder because you have to deal with
all the weird 16-bit processor modes.  at that point it's easier
just to simulate the 16-bit processor than to get plan 9 to
set up the processor the way you want it.  the other problem
with dosemu is that the set of system calls doesn't map as
nicely to plan 9 system calls.  i wrote one of those too, but
only enough to execute the vga bios code.  the theory was
that this might be significantly easier than the kernel support
required.  i still think that's true, but it didn't just work.  there
are some things that need certain timing to work out properly,
and the simulator is too slow.  at least, that's my theory.
i think there's still hope for it -- you could hard code certain
sequences that had to run nearer to full speed and run them
as one pseudo-op in the simulator.

* [9fans] LinuxEMU
@ 2010-01-18 19:15 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-01-18 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The SVN thread got me thinking that I had remembered seeing Ron post
something about what I thought was an in-kernel LinuxEMU that got a little
better performance on plan 9.

Is this true?  I know the currently LinuxEMU is pretty impressive and can
run a large range of programs (Web browsers even!), but that sometimes the
performance is a little bit less than what might be desired.   I believe
this was due to extra system call overheads for each linux kernel call.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just babbling away here?

Dave

* [9fans] Linuxemu
@ 2003-02-11 11:19 peter a. cejchan
From: peter a. cejchan @ 2003-02-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

would somebody be interested in doing me a favor with the following [dznamic linking] (it's too much for my limited abilities, sigh.. :-)

tia,++pac.

>>> russ Cox wrote: >>>
I made linuxemu compile again, and it seems that
it doesn't support dynamically linked binaries.  I don't
think it's hard, but apparently never did it.

http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/linuxemu.tar.gz

g% 8.out bin/a.hello
segattach(8000080,10b94)...
hello world
g%

Russ

@ 2002-11-28  8:17 Petr Cejchan
From: Petr Cejchan @ 2002-11-28  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: rsc

Hi,
thanks a lot for linuxemu! However, I was only able to run the stuff
included with /bin. Other linux progs (sort, bc...) did not work
(see below). May it be they were dynamically linked with glibc?
Thus, isn't there a dosemu around there? (Perhaps it would be easier

to make tru black dos progs run under plan9...)
[sorry again for this, but some people dislike to share their
sources, sigh]

Best regards,
++pac.

--
---
Ušetřete provoz na své internetové lince umístěním serveru do