* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 16:18 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

how did we get here? "personal oppertunities"?

all i'm saying is that it is not true that using a computer is now
slower than it used to be.

who rembers pc 5¼" disk drives? sppppt chunk chunk chunk ...
spppppt chunk chunk chunk brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf. all for 64k.

@ 2006-02-11 19:41 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> how did we get here? "personal oppertunities"?

Oh, I'm obscurely asking whether in fact your faster computer does
provide the additional time and opportunity one might expect it to.
In my experience, it doesn't.  Not only, but the additional
unreliability (fans conking out topping a peculiarly rich list of
failure modes) leads to frustration and stress, at least in my case.
And very poor productivity.

> all i'm saying is that it is not true that using a computer is now
> slower than it used to be.

Yes it is.  Just hunting down a floppy that has no bad sectors
consumes significant fractions of my working day.  Even out the box.
CD-ROMs seem to develop faults and brand new drives can't read them.
Memory is unreliable and unavailable for any but the latest models of
motherboards, not to talk of CPUs and adapters.  And a friend whinged
that ATA is no longer supported on recent motherboards.  He's just
invested in 6 swappable trays, so he's got good reason to be miffed.

Hell, I was thinking that gaming had improved considerably, but my
favourite game recently managed to hang the system the first time I
tried it on a fresh Win'98 installation.

> who rembers pc 5¼" disk drives? sppppt chunk chunk chunk ...
> spppppt chunk chunk chunk brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf. all for 64k.

I wish I still had my Osborne model II to prove that I can still read
90K floppies with working versions of SuperCalc, WordStar and DBase2,
whereas I have no ways of running mountains of Windows software
because my best available platform is a 400MHz Celeron with only 64MB
of RAM.

In fact, Ubuntu Linux takes exception of my 2.4GHz Celeron board that
has only 128MB of RAM and runs about as fast as it does on the above,
which is perfectly unusable.

++L

PS: I warrant that conditions here are hardly the norm, but I am a
sophisticated computer user and only rarely do I get the benefits of
Moore's law, whereas I am constantly reminded of the corollary you
reject.  Perhaps I ought to have been less specific about software
bloat, but hopefully I'll have explained why I believe all these
"advances" are not progress.

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 20:47 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-02-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> who rembers pc 5¼" disk drives? sppppt chunk chunk chunk ...
> spppppt chunk chunk chunk brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf. all for 64k.

Don't need to remember -  got one right here:

cpu% ls -l /dev/fd1*
--rw-rw---- f 0 miller miller      0 Dec 22 10:19 /dev/fd1ctl
--rw-rw---- f 0 miller miller 368640 Dec 22 10:19 /dev/fd1disk
cpu% cat /dev/fd1ctl; echo
5¼DD
cpu% time cat /dev/fd1disk >/dev/null
0.00u 0.03s 20.37r 	 cat /dev/fd1disk

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-12  5:46   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-12  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

a 600MHz P3 is adequate (my old single brain-dead config as
mr chaote called it).  my 3GHz cpu server is blindingly fast.

for a terminal a P1 is fine.

brucee

@ 2006-02-12  3:57 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-12  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-12  3:16   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-12  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

doesn't help if you are doing remote video surveillance of many
things 12,000km away.

brucee

@ 2006-02-12  3:11 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-02-12  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-11 23:38           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-02-11 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9fans are so nice, even the flaming is civilized.
who said "tact sucks"?!

@ 2006-02-11 22:47             ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-11 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i can't think of something to flame about.  oh yeah it's
overcast and i was planning on brunch.

brucee

@ 2006-02-11 22:34         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-11 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> you're absolutely right, russ. sorry.

actually, you weren't (thanks uriel).
sorry, not paying enough attention.

russ

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 22:26       ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2006-02-11 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 22:24     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-11 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-11 22:17   ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2006-02-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-02-11 20:10 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 11 13:54:32 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> > all i'm saying is that it is not true that using a computer is now
> > slower than it used to be.
> >
> Yes it is.  Just hunting down a floppy that has no bad sectors
> consumes significant fractions of my working day.

i'm not going to ask why you're looking for a floppy.

> In fact, Ubuntu Linux takes exception of my 2.4GHz Celeron board that
> has only 128MB of RAM and runs about as fast as it does on the above,
> which is perfectly unusable.

there are lots of solutions here, if you choose to take them.

i've got gentoo running on a 128M ibm thinkpad 570. i'm sure you
could get gentoo running on your celery machine or, now here's a thought,
plan 9.

> PS: I warrant that conditions here are hardly the norm, but I am a
> sophisticated computer user and only rarely do I get the benefits of
> Moore's law, > whereas I am constantly reminded of the corollary you
> reject.

suit yourself.  i'm pretty sure things have gotten better since
dos TSR programs and sneaker nets.

- erik

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 15:52 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i worked on a project for years that used a format equivalent
> to XML or ASN.1, but we thought simplier.
>
> naming the entities presented no efficiency problems for us.
> i spent 6 months in several stints profiling that system
> and for a 10k result set, the tcp overhead was greater than
> the packing and unpacking overhead, but neither represented
> 1% of the runtime of any end-to-end process that i looked at.

Thing is, the ITU-T could not put a simpler design into their
recommendations: as Geoff correctly points out, that is not how PTTs
operate, they have long before anyone else been the leaders in
globalisation.  The Internet has shaken those foundations, but we'll
be paying a price for that before long, when ISP consolidate into a
monopolistic mass.  In case you want to know where I'm coming from, my
belief is that the cooperative nature of the Internet will be lost to
econmies of scale that will quickly suffer from diminishing returns
and escalating costs.  The role played by the small participant is
already insignificant, soon it will become unwanted.

As an indicator, I use the metric that twenty years ago, without much
financial backing, I could engineer adapters for the PC that were in
demand and could be built by a small team at a reasonable price.
Since the advent of PCI, the entry bar has been raised considerably.

@ 2006-02-11 14:38 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-11 14:37 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wire, format?, lucio, 9fans

@ 2006-02-11 12:10         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If we wanted to inconvenience everyone equally, the
> attribute names could be gibberish.

Or binary.  Even your argument goes full circle.  And because we're
talking about information on the wire, why not stick to what the end
points process best?

Not that ASN.1 should be defended, but your argument needs its holes
poked :-)

> If
> you're thinking of binary-decimal conversion overheads, one could
> insist upon using octal representation (as tar does), which can be
> converted more quickly than decimal, though that does make it a little
> less human-friendly.

The human-friendly bit is a chimera, It's data on the wire, it was
never the intent of CCITT (I presume) to treat it as anything else.
Much as you can't detect the magnetic properties of core to decide
what is in memory, you need some sort of translator to inspect the
data on the wire.  In CCITT terms, that isn't a problem as cost was
never a consideration when investing in projects with 30- to 50-year
life spans.  It's the urgency of new technology that forces costs all
the way down and deprives R&D departments of multi-digit budgets.

> There has to be mapping between message format and something like a C
> struct (some internal representation).  ASN.1 attempts to describe
> both, as I understand it, to facilitate conversion between the two.

I'm not an ASN.1 guru, never will be.  But I think ASN.1 is intended
to be the permanent representation, with ephemeral internal formats as
dictated by processing.  I'm not sure where in the ITU-T
recommendations I'd have to look to contradict you, however.

It is perfectly possible for the ITU-T committee to have decided to
intrude where they did not belong.  They certainly mirrored the
computer architectures of the time, with various predefined integer
sizes as well as a variable length alternative, so they are guilty of
parochial thinking.

++L

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11  9:16       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-02-11  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I implemented both in ozinferno.  ASN is almost ludicrous.
XML was remarkably easy but ruthless.  anyhow my XML
parser does parse the XML spec (written in XML) and i'm
yet to find a commercial product that does.

brucee

@ 2006-02-11  8:55     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-02-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-11  8:44       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-11  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmm, the old language-specific argument.  The usual solution to this
is to use a binary encoding, the theory being that by avoiding words,
you avoid chauvinism.  I'd still rather have a textual format, even if
the attribute names have to be translated for speakers of other
languages (they'd have to translate a binary encoding into their own
language anyway).  If we wanted to inconvenience everyone equally, the
attribute names could be gibberish.

I'm not convinced that the slight inefficiency matters, particular for
a message format.  We do build indices in /lib/ndb to speed searches,
but that's for searching, not just encoding for transmission.  If

@ 2006-02-11  8:06     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So why not /lib/ndb format: textual attribute=value pairs
> with grouping?

Because (a) they are language/alphabet specific and (b) they are
inefficient.

Before you jump down my throat, I am aware that the inefficiencies
smack of premature optimisation, but in ASN.1 days they were mere
failures of vision.  And I do maintain that saving processor cycles
and storage is not a futile quest.  The corollary to Moore's Law is
"Software bloat exceeds any gains in processor performance even before
such gains can be exploited".

It also strikes me as remarkable that you'd think ASN.1 is intended to
represent C structures.  I would think the intent was to be a message
format on the wire and the internal representation was left as a
matter of implementation.  The latter, of course, is where it all fell
apart because (a) there were issues that could not be finalised
without conflict and (b) there were mistakes that were only discovered
once different implementations could not interoperate.

In the latter case, I have to concede that the IETF is better geared
for the laying down of standards.  Skip is right in that standards
ought not to be accepted until there has been an implementation, but
of course that sword has two edges, too.

++L

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11  7:53       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-02-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> i think any committee that comes up with a proposed standard should
>> individually be responsible for implementing it.
>
> That's not how PTTs do things!  How do you think they came up with
> crap like OSI (X.400, X.500)?  Sheesh, get real, kid!  ☺

what i meant to say was "if i was philosopher-king in charge of the world i
would make any committee ..."

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11  7:53       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That's not how PTTs do things!  How do you think they came up with
> crap like OSI (X.400, X.500)?  Sheesh, get real, kid!  ☺

Come, come, Geoff!  They did precisely as they needed to.  It probably
has a lot in common with the urethra doubling back into the prostrate
gland.  Has anyone produced a better mouse trap yet?  I note with
horror that internationalisation is creeping into LDAP.

++L

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11  7:09     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-11  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-02-11  7:04   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-02-11  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think any committee that comes up with a proposed standard should
individually be responsible for implementing it.  note that this would
work for large or small efforts.  if the committee is able to
implement it and it works, then it would be adopted.

specific to the question, i like the S-expression approach I've not
used it for anything so my advice is as good as the random committee
member.

@ 2006-02-11  6:54   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-02-11  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> "What is a better option for the conveying of platform-independent
> data than ASN.1 or XML?"

A somewhat-flippant answer would be text strings and numbers expressed
as strings.  But what ASN.1 (or BER) and XML seem to be trying to do
is to permit the export and later import of essentially arbitrary C
structs in a manner that will be portable across processor
architectures.  /sys/src/libsec/port/x509.c seems to be mostly
concerned with ASN1 and it's 2,559 lines long, and that's short
compared with the openssl ASN1 routines, which total 16,071 lines in
my copy.  So why not /lib/ndb format: textual attribute=value pairs
with grouping?

* ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11  6:04 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-02-11  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> isn't this the "i don't trust new software" argument resurrected?
> let's all install V7 from mag tape on our pdp-11s. ;-)
>
> sorry. i couldn't resist.

You're welcome, but I think you're off the mark.  X.680 is less than
100 pages and is written in that peculiar jargon that CCITT/ITU-T have
evolved to make sure that the real niggly faults are well hidden where
they can only be discovered in the most painful fashion.

Perhaps it is seriously flawed, but I have only a single paper by Carl
Ellison entitled ASN.1 Misuse (September 15, 1995) to back that
argument:

	"The ASN.1 standard (Abstract Syntax Notation 1) is
	proliferating, in spite of cries of anguish by computer
	professionals who are faced with implementing to those
	standards.  The standard is flawed.  Some of those flaws come
	from its complexity and ambiguity - a product most likely of
	having started down the wrong path and been subject to
	corrections by various interested parties along the way.  It
	has acquired various warts and is apparently the result of a
	committee effort.  Other flaws come from its misuse, and those
	are the one addressed in this paper."

I note I'm missing pages 5 to 6 (of 6 :-).  Thing is, XML is not 100
pages long, is nothing like less "complex or ambiguous" and is still
work in progress.  How much can one add to such a beast before its
camel back breaks?