* ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12  6:31 Lucio De Re
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-12-12  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the Plan 9 Operating System

I'd like suggestions for some hardware on which to run Plan 9, almost
certainly expandable SSD capacity will be a must (Venti service).
Price and quality will be the biggest factors, as always.

Ideally, storage is where the value will reside, the actual processor
could be expendable.

ARM would allow me to start with Richard Miller's release, which I
believe to be a very sound foundation.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12  8:30 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2019-12-12  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We had 9legacy running on Intel NUCs at Google for our internal
development. It worked well enough, though of course wasn't an ARM based
machine. Getting it going was a little hacky, but not too bad. We were
using raspberry pi's as terminals.

I haven't looked in depth, but I suspect there's relatively little support
for SATA interfaces in Richard's BCM code. Targeting something like the
BananaPi W2 as a small server would probably be doable and the delta from
Richard's code would be smaller than an ersatz port.

        - Dan C.

@ 2019-12-12  8:54   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2019-12-12  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

With a USB3 SSD I have been able to get over 200MB/s sequential (under linux, on RPI4).
You can get a TB SSD for under $150 that can theoretically do 540MB/s (on a USB3.1 but
pi4 is usb3 so half the peak throughput). For a venti server your bottleneck will be the GBe.

I haven't been able to run Richard's latest image (may have to do with eeprom updates I did)
so no idea what 9pi does as yet.

@ 2019-12-12 12:15   ` Juan Cuzmar
From: Juan Cuzmar @ 2019-12-12 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wow I'm surprised that people are still working on plan9 to
develop things especially in google... If I could aso: what kind
of things you develop with plan9?

@ 2019-12-12 12:43     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

at google i think they are very often using acme to program web services in go
check out golang.org

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12 13:02       ` Juan Cuzmar
From: Juan Cuzmar @ 2019-12-12 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm ask because maybe if you're using plan9 maybe you could
contribute to it maturing further.

@ 2019-12-12 13:14         ` Matthew Singletary
From: Matthew Singletary @ 2019-12-12 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think you are assuming that they don't.

@ 2019-12-12 13:20 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2019-12-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: David Arnold

> On 12 Dec 2019, at 17:31, Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like suggestions for some hardware on which to run Plan 9, almost
> certainly expandable SSD capacity will be a must (Venti service).
> Price and quality will be the biggest factors, as always.
>
> Ideally, storage is where the value will reside, the actual processor
> could be expendable.
>
> ARM would allow me to start with Richard Miller's release, which I
> believe to be a very sound foundation.
>
> Thanks for any and all comments.

This is very likely overkill, but

   https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/ <https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/>
   https://www.chip1stop.com/USA/en/product/detail?partId=SOCI-0000003&mpn=SC0FQAA-B-000 <https://www.chip1stop.com/USA/en/product/detail?partId=SOCI-0000003&mpn=SC0FQAA-B-000>

It’s a µATX PC-style motherboard, with what looks like standard PC power connector.
It has a 24-core ARM8 CPU, up to 64GB RAM (4 DIMM slots), onboard 1 Gbps Ethernet, looks like two on-board SATA ports, and (most usefully) 1 PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x1 slots.

You could populate the x16 PCIe slot with an M.2 carrier board, like

   https://amfeltec.com/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-m-2-ssd <https://amfeltec.com/pci-express-gen-3-carrier-board-for-m-2-ssd>

to give you a decent amount of high-speed SSD storage?

The motherboard appears to have been sponsored by Linaro, which is some sort of Linux-on-ARM booster organisation, so it’s likely got decent documentation and/or sample drivers available.

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12 14:10     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2019-12-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Our use of plan9 was really incidental and was in support of our work on
Akaros. It was a tool we used to support our development environment, but
not a focus of development itself nor something we did development on
directly. We did contribute a few things back to 9legacy; some bug fixes
for the i218 driver where the NIC would lock up come to mind; we found a
few bugs in the 9pi USB stack that Richard fixed. I suppose that counts as
"improving" plan9.

Work on Akaros has stopped however, at least at Google.

Those that I know who use acme at Google are not, generally, writing web
services. Rather, they are working on the Go compiler and runtime. I
suppose it's possible that someone uses acme to write web services, but the
number of people doing that kind of thing is actually pretty small, even
though a lot of people think of Google as a "web" company. I dunno; I work
on kernels.

        - Dan C.

@ 2019-12-12 14:14       ` Juan Cuzmar
From: Juan Cuzmar @ 2019-12-12 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ah I see.
Thanks Dan for answer me.

@ 2019-12-12 15:14   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

generally, i would like better hardware, too. i'm especially curious
about chipsets that include QSFP or even QSFP+ with lowest possible
total power consumption in idle. not much random computation power
needed, but i want all the benefits of full throughput at 10gbit or
40gbit, speeding up sequential file transfers like backups. i.e. at
big block size.

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12 15:24     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan, does that mean you are allowed to have actual "research" projects
at google? i just never thought something like this would be possible,
and never realized akaros happened at google itself. i imagined the
involvement of universities instead, but i clearly didn't check
closely enough.
I hear only bad news from google lately, but if they give enough
freedom to also do basic research (or let's call it OS development
cause IT research is an oxymoron) that's great news to me indeed :)
And as you said all i know of google is their web site. or knew, cause
many useful services like google code search are no more. at least
google mail still works :P

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-12 15:31       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this guy "brho" seems to still work on akaros!
https://github.com/brho/akaros

* Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
@ 2019-12-13  7:08       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2019-12-13  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Google invests heavily into basic computer science reseach, and Google
researchers are well represented at respected conferences and in high
impact journals in their subfields. So yes, one can do 'actual "research"
projects' at Google. We have an entire research organization doing just
that, often in collaboration with academia: https://research.google/

However, not everyone working on experimental projects at Google is doing
what one might call "research". For some, such as myself, the line can be
blurry, but I'm firmly in a development camp, as are most people I know. To
put it succinctly for me, as for many others, the job isn't to publish
papers or present results, it's to write software of value to Google.
However, we have considerable latitude to investigate new and innovative
ways of writing that software.

Of course, that also entails taking lessons learned from systems outside of
the mainstream.

It's true that Barret still works on Akaros: it was his PhD thesis topic.
However, Google is no longer investing in it directly.

        - Dan C.

@ 2019-12-13 10:28         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans