* [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-27 21:45 Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2013-08-27 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,

Is this the place where I would go to get help on the 9GridChan images and
software? I have asked a number of times on FreeNode IRC, to no avail.

Even though I know the documentation is developing, it is a bit vague in
most concepts - I have a 9worker image running with "gui" but I am unable
to Drawterm in. Auth server is mentioned in the documentation as "-a
dead.ip" - surely thats a typo?

With help, I would be willing to write docos for the community, I enjoyed
the exposition on the editing of the Plan 9 wiki with Acme. Seems so
simple, compared to everything else.

Thanks in advance for any help that may be given.

Shane.

* Re: [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-28  3:00 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2013-08-28  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think this list and #plan9 on freenode are your best options. I
don't believe many people are using the 9gridchan stuff directly
at this point, but all the fundamentals are the same as any other
Plan 9 system. It may require a bit of poking, but I'm sure folks in
one of those two places can help you out.

#plan9 on freenode can be a great place to get help, but like any
small IRC channel, it's sort of hit-or-miss who you get. If nobody
in the room at the moment can help, try again later. I haven't seen
any 9gridchan questions recently.

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-28  3:10   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2013-08-28  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you for the reply. Of course I should've tried #plan9 - I must've
switched off higher reasoning. Too excited to play Plan 9 again perhaps?

Of another question, do many members of the list run Plan 9 on VIA systems?
We all know their support for Linux can be a bit woeful, but they say (in
the specs) the newer USB3.0 systems have specific Linux support. I suppose
the question should more be "Do many members use QEMU on VIA systems for
Plan 9?" And perhaps this isn't exactly the place... for the list to decide.

Thanks again, I'll connect XChat to #plan9 when I return home this evening.
On Aug 28, 2013 1:03 PM, "Anthony Sorace" <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> I think this list and #plan9 on freenode are your best options. I
> don't believe many people are using the 9gridchan stuff directly
> at this point, but all the fundamentals are the same as any other
> Plan 9 system. It may require a bit of poking, but I'm sure folks in
> one of those two places can help you out.
>
> #plan9 on freenode can be a great place to get help, but like any
> small IRC channel, it's sort of hit-or-miss who you get. If nobody
> in the room at the moment can help, try again later. I haven't seen
> any 9gridchan questions recently.
>
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-28  3:21     ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-08-28  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I haven't heard anything from mycroftiv in a while. I think the best option would be to email him directly.

On Aug 27, 2013, at 23:10, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. Of course I should've tried #plan9 - I must've switched off higher reasoning. Too excited to play Plan 9 again perhaps?
>
> Of another question, do many members of the list run Plan 9 on VIA systems? We all know their support for Linux can be a bit woeful, but they say (in the specs) the newer USB3.0 systems have specific Linux support. I suppose the question should more be "Do many members use QEMU on VIA systems for Plan 9?" And perhaps this isn't exactly the place... for the list to decide.
>
> Thanks again, I'll connect XChat to #plan9 when I return home this evening.
>
> On Aug 28, 2013 1:03 PM, "Anthony Sorace" <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>> I think this list and #plan9 on freenode are your best options. I
>> don't believe many people are using the 9gridchan stuff directly
>> at this point, but all the fundamentals are the same as any other
>> Plan 9 system. It may require a bit of poking, but I'm sure folks in
>> one of those two places can help you out.
>>
>> #plan9 on freenode can be a great place to get help, but like any
>> small IRC channel, it's sort of hit-or-miss who you get. If nobody
>> in the room at the moment can help, try again later. I haven't seen
>> any 9gridchan questions recently.
>>
>> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-28  3:33     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-08-28  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Of another question, do many members of the list run Plan 9 on VIA
> systems?  We all know their support for Linux can be a bit woeful, but
> they say (in the specs) the newer USB3.0 systems have specific Linux
> support.  I suppose the question should more be "Do many members use
> QEMU on VIA systems for Plan 9?" And perhaps this isn't exactly the
> place...  for the list to decide.

until recently, we ran plan 9 on native via.  they were ok terminals.
but for $99 in 2008, not bad at all.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9GridChan
@ 2013-08-28  3:37       ` Shane Morris