* [9fans] wiki...
@ 2011-04-23  4:43 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-23  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11 Apr 2011, at 2:51 pm, David Leimbach wrote:

> I posted some on the wiki about how I got the guruplug working for
> me...

How do you find things on the wiki? I came across this today. My
first thought was to look in the other_hardware page where I found
mention of the Shevaplug and Guruplug but no links so I looked in the
news page and only found a link to Nemo's home website... :)

Google simply can't find the word "guruplug" anywhere on
www.plan9.bell-labs.com despite there being a clear link chain to a
wiki page which has it, so that's no use.

I guess I can mount and search the wiki, when it's up. I hope that
works. :)

If I can find the pages and edit the wiki I'd make links and maybe
fix up some obsolete info too. Do I need an account to edit the wiki?
I would check but sources went down in between my mounting it and cd-
ing into it. That's the 2nd time that's happened in the last few
weeks. I think the other time was when I tried to mount the wiki too.

* [9fans] acme design (long)
@ 2004-06-07 13:02 cej
From: cej @ 2004-06-07 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

DEBATE CONTINUES ;-)

++pac:

> Now ETHZ is ending new core of Aos. It becomes real-time.
> That's great news!

what does it mean "real-time" ? I heard it many times but still dont know...

> > nevertheless, shared libs are not true objects. I'm not the proper
> > person to discuss pros and cons of OO paradigm. I was
> pursuaded I can
> > live w/o objects :-)
>
> Oh, no! It's just a mirage! I can assure you 101% :o) I can't
> live w/o
> objects! Nobody can! :o) Unix was so successful because of it was
> defined one very useful and common OBJECT - "FILE"... :o))))

yes...

> And I wont
> speak about graphical library. May be you can't inherit from
> library's
> object but the ideology ot those libraries is object.

++pac:
> is it really just a GUI to complete  Bluebottle functionality?? So I
> can get rid of all those colourful windows and buttons?

Hmmm... Of Course I can understand first reaction of a man who went from
Unix world! :o))) But I can say: You have CLI anywhere you want! :o) May be it is just a case of a habit?

Wlad:
> What is it CLI? Commandline interface?
> Do I have "Command.command ^ selected arguments~ middleclick" in BB,
> too? Anywhere?

Yes. Where you want and where it is compfirtable for you.

Module.Procedure ^ - take "arguments" in the last selection (in any
window, not just from the same window)

Module.Procedure * - take marked object (may be whole window as a
"parameter", more friquent it is used for compilation for example. For
instance we can mark (by pressing F1) window with program source text
and type "Builder.Compile /s *"...)

Module.Procedure arg1 arg2 arg3 ... argN ~ - just simple command with
its arguments. "~" means the end of argument list. Any command doesn't
require it.

> We have similar "text-command-in-one-place arguments-elsewhere
> middleclick-leftclick" in p9, however in AcmeUI only.

No-no. IN OBERON YOU CAN INPUT COMMANDS ANYWHERE YOU WANT!

> In an alternative, but concurrent, Rio (terminal) window you can only
> select command together with its arguments and "send" it (via menu) to
> execute...

"Menu items" in Oberon are just "carriers" of links to "commands". It
has been done just for convenience.

> we have basically two GUIs in p9, that can run concurrently: one is
> normal windowing environment, Rio, with a terminal window for each
> process, capable of displaying text and graphics, and driven by menu,
> and an AcmeUI, which is much like old Oberon UI, but runing within a
> Rio window like frames, or panes, and driven via text commands
> (pre)written anywhere.

Its just the question of you wish. You can open "desktops" with usual
overlapped windows. But they remain "oberonish" window where you can do
the same things as at tiled window GUI.

> Well, most importantly, do I have scripting in BB? With "if" and
> loops? which languege, Oberon?

The main biuty is due to architecture of Oberon system you don't have
separate languges for different goals. You just create modules. You even
do not differentiate "sustem" and "user" modules. You just expand system
functionality by adding new developed modules or change it by replacing
its default modules with yours.

* [9fans] wiki
@ 2004-01-25 14:09 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-01-25 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I backed up the top page to the morning before mr cranium
added his pointers.  I was wondering how long it would take
before someone did that.

I guess it's a victory of the Internet that the change was
made by a Moldovan IP address and pointed to a cyrillic
web page in a Samoan domain.

* [9fans] Wiki..
@ 2001-02-02 14:49 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-02-02 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am waiting for some somebody to add to `Using Acme' link. I know
that info is available in papers but have had no success with it. After
spending a week-end only thing I have been able to achieve is equivalent
of cd and text editing. Maybe someone with expertise can give pointers
with real examples?

- ishwar