* [9fans]   Kabini or Raspberry Pi?
@ 2014-07-01 19:37 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2014-07-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, 9fans

Thanks all.
I made order the A68N-5000 board yesterday.
I may have many difficulties to run Plan 9, (UEFI etc),
in such case I'll run windows on it.☺

By the way, I got attention to arm architecture now.
I tried to compile raspberry pi on my plan9 machine, and
got problem.

When to compile runebase.c in the port of libc, I got
runebase.c: 1255 illegal rune in string, where
the line is:
	0xfa6c,	0x242ee,	/* 𤋮 𤋮 */.

Of course ther are many similar error lines, where
all the line have 5 digit value such as '0x242ee'.
Is there any limitations arm rune definition?

Kenji

* [9fans]  Kabini or Raspberry Pi?
@ 2014-07-01 19:37 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-07-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What's the advantage for you guys to use XEN as apposed to kvm/qemu?

http://thecloudmarket.com/image/ami-cfa332ff--plan9-fossil

* Re: [9fans] Kabini or Raspberry Pi?
@ 2014-07-01  7:58 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-07-01  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if anyone has any information on Plan 9 and Xen, that would be most welcome too.

http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installing_in_Xen_3.0

This is a paravirtualised kernel which runs on xen; I've used it on an
AWS server with reasonable success.

With modern intel hardware, it's also possible to run normal native plan 9
on Xen.

> for my Plan9 CPU/Auth/File server.   Another candidate
> is raspberry pi.

The pi makes an excellent terminal but I wouldn't use one as a file server.
The only way to attach a local disk is via usb, and the usb interface is
not the strongest point of the Broadcom SoC.  It will be slow and probably
unreliable.

* [9fans] Kabini or Raspberry Pi?
@ 2014-07-01  0:28 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2014-07-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After I retired job (strictory semi-retired) I'm now running Plan9
only in my house.   Now, I'm hesitating to setup a C2D machine
as CPU/Auth/File server machine.    It eats high level of power.
Here in Japan, all the atomic power facilities is stopping.
In personal house, high performance is not so neccessary,
because most of the work will be done in terminals these days.
However, drawterm looks like very attractive for such purpose.
Then, CPU server is neccessary which is running all the day.

I found AMD Kabini based onboard energy save motherboard
called A68N-5000(Biostar), which looks like very attractive
for my Plan9 CPU/Auth/File server.   Another candidate
is raspberry pi.   However, I wonder it has such as mini-ITX
case and power?

How do you think about this?

Kenji