* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 12:33 Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2012-03-20 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does anyone know about the Plan 9 support status for the Raspberry Pi ?

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 13:32 ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2012-03-20 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was just thinking about this while drinking my coffee.

A few perspective problems :

1. Broadcom drivers that are more locked down than Mr. Manson.

2. The boot process is insanely weird. It's boots by bootstrapping the GPU
or something crazy.

3. No cd-rom drive to do a CD install. Probably easy to work around (I've
only installed it this way)

Calvin
On Mar 20, 2012 8:35 AM, "Nicolas Bercher" <nbercher@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Does anyone know about the Plan 9 support status for the Raspberry Pi ?
>
> Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 14:10 ` Charles Forsyth
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-03-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You have to have got one first. My delivery note says "May" and the blog
said the initial batch had a part wrong (stopping ether from working).

@ 2012-03-20 14:19   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-03-20 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My delivery note says "May"

You're lucky.  I'm on the waiting list to be allowed onto
the pre-order queue.

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 14:59   ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2012-03-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Le 20/03/2012 15:10, Charles Forsyth a écrit :
> You have to have got one first. My delivery note says "May" and the blog
> said the initial batch had a part wrong (stopping ether from working).

OK, I'll wait.
For sure this device will stimulate some Plan 9 users!

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 15:52     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Mar 20 10:20:16 EDT 2012, 9fans@hamnavoe.com wrote:
> > My delivery note says "May"
>
> You're lucky.  I'm on the waiting list to be allowed onto
> the pre-order queue.

ooooh you're lucky. ... probablly the little jailies' pet, aren't we?
what i wouldn't give to be on the waiting list to be allowed onto
the pre-order queue.

i don't really want one.  just couldn't resist the reference.  :-)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 16:03     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2012-03-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> > My delivery note says "May"
>
> You're lucky.  I'm on the waiting list to be allowed onto
> the pre-order queue.
>

> Luxury!  There were four of us living in a brown paper bag in a septic
tank...

(sorry couldn't resist)

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-03-20 21:34   ` Stephen Wiley
From: Stephen Wiley @ 2012-03-20 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been thinking about this for a while as well (I don't have one yet though... so I haven't gone far beyond thinking)

On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> 1. Broadcom drivers that are more locked down than Mr. Manson.

There is a RiscOS port, perhaps that has something...

> 2. The boot process is insanely weird. It's boots by bootstrapping the GPU or something crazy.

Perhaps we could port 9load to RiscOS? (like the pc version on dos) It sounds like a simple cooperative multitasking os, but I'm no expert.

I'm hoping to mess with this when mine ships (again, supposedly in may).

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-01 13:21   ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2012-04-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 13:32, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just thinking about this while drinking my coffee.
>
> A few perspective problems :
>
> 1. Broadcom drivers that are more locked down than Mr. Manson.

The 3D part is - simple framebuffer should work, afaik.

> 2. The boot process is insanely weird. It's boots by bootstrapping the GPU
> or something crazy.

Not really - it's just that the GPU contains the controller chip, and
the first stage bootloader is thus written in it. It will happily load
anything that has Linux-style header and resides on first,
FAT-formatted dos partition on the SD card, afaik.

> 3. No cd-rom drive to do a CD install. Probably easy to work around (I've
> only installed it this way)

See above :)

--
Paweł Lasek
pawel.lasek@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-22 15:08   ` Jeffrey Green
From: Jeffrey Green @ 2012-04-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, a month has gone by and a slice of raspberry pi is looking more and more tempting these days, especially since "official" delivery seems to have happened last week. Has anyone yet chanced an introduction of one to plan9? I would guess the initial booting would be the biggest hurdle. What tools do we have to work with in that situation?

-jeff

@ 2012-04-22 15:17     ` Tristan
From: Tristan @ 2012-04-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So, a month has gone by and a slice of raspberry pi is looking more and
> more tempting these days, especially since "official" delivery seems to
> have happened last week. Has anyone yet chanced an introduction of one
> to plan9? I would guess the initial booting would be the biggest
> hurdle.

Not to stop anyone, but I hear getting documentation from Broadcom is a
bit of a painful project all in itself.

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-22 15:22       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2012-04-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's not easy even if you make appliances and sell a good number of their
NICs. At a company where I worked a few years ago, we had a performance
problem and it took us months to get any datasheets. When that didn't help,
it took us about the same amount of time to get errata.

It is not fun.

--dho

@ 2012-04-22 15:47         ` Jeffrey Green
From: Jeffrey Green @ 2012-04-22 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> It's not easy even if you make appliances and sell a good number of their NICs. At a company where I worked a few years ago, we had a performance problem and it took us months to get any datasheets. When that didn't help, it took us about the same amount of time to get errata.
>
> It is not fun.

I'm assuming the proprietary stuff that is the hurdle here is a ROM based boot sequence (and language). I would think that the ARM processor architecture is standard. If so about the ROM, is the general public completely in the dark about it?

-jeff

@ 2012-04-22 16:22           ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-04-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I always hope to see things like this appearing as the McGuffin in films:
"The Broadcom Errata"
(``Look! I've decoded the cryptogram in the K&R Code. It seems to give the
location of a Broadcom data sheet.
We thought they'd all been lost or destroyed!'' ``If it also has the
errata, it would be priceless! That explains why they
had to kill Fletcher to shut up his open source project.")

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-22 17:40             ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2012-04-22 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sign me up as a reviewer for your next theatrical production.  A little
radio, streaming audio, or even a youtube screening will suffice.

@ 2012-04-22 18:02               ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2012-04-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Glenda Python and the Search for the Holy Broadcom Specs

@ 2012-04-22 21:30           ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2012-04-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 22, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Jeffrey Green <atallj@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming the proprietary stuff that is the hurdle here is a ROM based boot sequence (and language). I would think that the ARM processor architecture is standard. If so about the ROM, is the general public completely in the dark about it?

There are is a binary containing the code that runs on the GPU; this is loaded by the boot loader on the GPU. Then there are libGLES.so and friends that link with your openGL ES Linux app. Not much different from what NVidia does. The "kernel" is also booted by the GPU. In some ways this is simpler. To allow kernel choice at run time, the GPU loaded "kernel" could be 9load or grub or something.

Linux driver to talk to the GPU is open source & CPU-GPU message types to implement a dumb frame buffer are documented so getting up /dev/draw shouldn't be hard.

There is a schematic for the board and a separate spec for peripherals - GPIO, UART, PWM, etc etc.

So a port should be no worse than to other ARM based SBCs. And once a port is done, you can have a ready to run SDHC card - no more fighting with installing plan9!

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-22 23:22               ` Strake
From: Strake @ 2012-04-22 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 22/04/2012, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
> Sign me up as a reviewer for your next theatrical production.  A little
> radio, streaming audio, or even a youtube screening will suffice.
>
> On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
>
>> I always hope to see things like this appearing as the McGuffin in films:
>> "The Broadcom Errata"
>> (``Look! I've decoded the cryptogram in the K&R Code. It seems to give
>> the
>> location of a Broadcom data sheet.
>> We thought they'd all been lost or destroyed!'' ``If it also has the
>> errata, it would be priceless! That explains why they
>> had to kill Fletcher to shut up his open source project.")

I hope that 9fans will get the casting call.

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-22 23:53                 ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2012-04-22 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The whole Broadcom licensing thing is a major pain at my current job
(although my overlords probably have equally painful legal shackles).

Not being able to see data sheets is pretty lame.

-joe

@ 2012-04-23  2:51                   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-04-23  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"John Connor uses his 26th century technology to travel back in time,
insisting that Sarah's destiny will be thwarted if she does not take
the errata to the desert. They blow things up - not many dead. Sarah
latches onto a Cyborg open wifi and summons - a sequel."

On 23 April 2012 09:53, Joseph Stewart <joseph.stewart@gmail.com> wrote:
> The whole Broadcom licensing thing is a major pain at my current job
> (although my overlords probably have equally painful legal shackles).
>
> Not being able to see data sheets is pretty lame.
>
> -joe
>

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Strake <strake888@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 22/04/2012, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
>> > Sign me up as a reviewer for your next theatrical production.  A little
>> > radio, streaming audio, or even a youtube screening will suffice.

>> I hope that 9fans will get the casting call.

--
Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2012-04-23 14:07                     ` Jeffrey Green
From: Jeffrey Green @ 2012-04-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 22, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> "John Connor uses his 26th century technology to travel back in time,
> insisting that Sarah's destiny will be thwarted if she does not take
> the errata to the desert. They blow things up - not many dead. Sarah
> latches onto a Cyborg open wifi and summons - a sequel."

That may be a hard sell to Disney these days....

@ 2012-04-23 14:20                       ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2012-04-23 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 23, 2012 10:07 AM, "Jeffrey Green" <atallj@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
>
> > "John Connor uses his 26th century technology to travel back in time,
> > insisting that Sarah's destiny will be thwarted if she does not take
> > the errata to the desert. They blow things up - not many dead. Sarah
> > latches onto a Cyborg open wifi and summons - a sequel."
>
> That may be a hard sell to Disney these days....
>

> > On 23 April 2012 09:53, Joseph Stewart <joseph.stewart@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The whole Broadcom licensing thing is a major pain at my current job
> >> (although my overlords probably have equally painful legal shackles).
> >>
> >> Not being able to see data sheets is pretty lame.
> >>
> >> -joe

> > --
> > Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

nah it has everything Disney loves: time travel, shitty story, and an
instant sequal. Add some princesses and you're good to go.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2011-05-07  1:32 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-05-07  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

GuruPlug display is actually very practical and usable with the stock
linux and drawterm. if graphics was natively supported under Plan 9,
it too would make a nice terminal.

I've noticed that Android based pads and tablets are getting cheaper
-- about $150 for some. It might be interesting to port Inferno or
Plan9 to these.

-Skip

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/
>
> G.

* Re: [9fans] nice terminal...
@ 2011-05-06 22:35 ` Jason Dreisbach
From: Jason Dreisbach @ 2011-05-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I saw this as well. I hope it becomes a reality. $25 seems like a bit of a
stretch though.

- Jason

On May 6, 2011, at 3:17 PM, Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/