* [9fans] Old Pharts Reminiscing?
@ 2003-11-17  3:45 Lyndon Nerenberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2003-11-17  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--On Sunday, November 16, 2003 10:18 PM -0500 Dan Cross
<cross@math.psu.edu> wrote:

>> but  if nobody teaches these folks the error of their ways, how can
>> it ever  stop? I don't think most of us have the energy to attempt
>> that any  more. (Or in my case, the patience.)

> More to the point, I'm not sure it's possible.  People aren't
> interested in learning how to program elegantly

I don't agree. The people who want to, or like to, learn will have this
interest. But most of the people getting into software these days
aren't interested in programming, engineering, or even learning for
that matter. It's all about padding your resume.

> (try telling Theo
> Deraadt that he could program more elegantly.  For that matter, try
> telling him he could do *anything* differently),

Quit picking on Theo. I don't agree with him much of the time, either,
but unlike the other people we're discussing here, he does engage his
brain and work for what he thinks is right (just like we do). There's
no dishonour in respecting your opponent.

> What's more, we're seeing a lot of
> people who confuse installed base and popularity with quality.

Critical Thinking as a core subject through the entire education
process? Hrmph. It's a nice dream....

> Often
> times when I tell people I use Plan 9, the first question they ask me
> is, ``why?''

I would have expected them to respond ``what?''

--lyndon