* [9fans] Problem with drawterm.exe: "cpu: failed to chdir"
@ 2007-06-10 21:53 Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2007-06-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello.
I have just installed plan9 as a cpu/auth/fileserver in vmware. After lots
of work and hours of reinstalling and messing around with networking and
bridging I finally got drawterm to connect to it.
Here's what I get:

user: bootes
bootes@something.net password:
cpu: failed to chdir to "C:\"

When I move drawterm.exe around C:\ changes to whereever it's placed.
I use the version of drawterm.exe from http://swtch.com/drawterm/. I can
both from plan9 to windows and from windows to plan9. I use the "host-only"
network setting in vmware because I couldn't get bridging to work (well, I
could, but then something happened....)
I downloaded the iso yesterday and at the moment I'm not capable of getting
it to pull from sources.

-Patrick Kristiansen

* Re: [9fans] Problem with drawterm.exe: "cpu: failed to chdir"
@ 2007-06-10 21:59 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

drawterm, like cpu, trys to put you in the same directory on the remote
machine that you were in on the local machine.

in your case this is not possible -- there's no C:\ on plan 9.
but this should not be a problem.  you will just be plopped in bootes
home directory instead.

- erik

@ 2007-06-10 22:09   ` Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2007-06-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That was acutualy what happened. It just took 5 minutes and the first time I
gave it so long was while I was writing to 9fans.
Any idea why it takes 5 minutes for it to work?
-Patrick

@ 2007-06-10 22:39     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-06-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That was acutualy what happened. It just took 5 minutes and the first time I
> gave it so long was while I was writing to 9fans.
> Any idea why it takes 5 minutes for it to work?

i don't think chdir is causing the delay. do you have anything in
your $home/lib/profile that could take time when you sign in?

* Re: [9fans] Problem with drawterm.exe: "cpu: failed to chdir"
@ 2007-06-10 22:54     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-10 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

running snoopy on the cpu server and vmware's equivalent
(tcpdump?) might reveal who is waiting for what.

i had a similar problem, solved by adding my auth server to
/etc/hosts on a linux box that i sometimes use.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Problem with drawterm.exe: "cpu: failed to chdir"
@ 2007-06-10 23:13       ` Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2007-06-10 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs