* [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-15 17:11 Joel C. Salomon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2010-04-15 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My computer died, so I'm in the market for a new one.  I figure I'd
like to get back into hacking on Plan 9 so I plan to install it
beneath a VM in whatever machine I buy.  I'm even considering Windows
7 Pro with Virtual PC, but I think I'd prefer Xen or one of the
Linux-based things (VirtualBox, etc.).

Ease of installation is important, as is the ability to run a somewhat
normal (Windows or Linux) host OS.  Are there any recommendations?

—Joel

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-15 18:35 ` Gabriel Díaz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabriel Díaz @ 2010-04-15 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

If you want to buy a desktop computer, and feel like running native plan9, I've got this machine (desktop) two/three weeks ago and run Plan9 reasonably well, and of course the other "mainstream" OS like win7 and linux. As for VM, i've used vmware server 2.0 (free) and runs quite well, 9grid.es was a plan9 hosted in that vm and was running quite well for some years.

Case: A model of Coolermaster with no blinking lights and no nothing but the chassis
Power supply: 750W
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE
Memory: 4GB 1333MHz
Processor: Core i7-920
Video card: ATI HD5750 (two of them)
Hardisk: WDC WD3200AAJS-55M0A0 (westerdigital 7200rpm 320gb sata)
Monitor: Samsum P2250
Soundcard: USB ALTEC Lansign speakers

I've got on ebay long ago the IBM/lenovo 3 buttons mouse, and a random keyboard.

Price ~950€ plus tax, i guess you can get more or less the same for 950$.

So far in native plan9 i've got working:
- sata with 9atom.iso (booting and installing fine)
- sound seems to be recognized but not tested,
- usb mouse,
- usb disk
- lan (realtek RTL8168c/8111c),
- video vesa 1280x1024x8, i can't get more than 8 bit. . .which is a pity. . i guess some vbe digging could solve this. When i change the color depth the screen show weird things, but still showing only 8 bit color weird things.
- 4 cores works

main issue is interrupt count does not go below 4000. . .need to dig more into this, probably to compose a mail to the list :), but it does not hurt too much, at least for now.

slds.

gabi

@ 2010-04-15 18:44   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> main issue is interrupt count does not go below 4000. . .need to dig more into this, probably to compose a mail to the list :), but it does not hurt too much, at least for now.

that shouldn't be happening unless you're doing a lot of disk/network
io.

if you're using 9atom, one would expect ~1100 interrupts/sec since
HZ is set to 1000.  this makes timing work better and doesn't cost much
performance.  in 9atom, /dev/irqalloc has an extra field that is the count
of total interrupts.  i'm guessing that you have a ringing ide interrupt.
but irqalloc should let you know who's the culprit.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-15 18:56 ` Federico G. Benavento
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-04-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
the slowest

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-15 18:56 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-04-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i would think that 9vx is the logical choice for linux.  the free
vmware player works well on vista and win7. i used qemu
for a while and it seemed stable and usable.

@ 2010-04-15 18:58   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-15 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Apr 15 14:57:21 EDT 2010, benavento@gmail.com wrote:
> vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
> the slowest

there are relatively easy things we could do to make virtual box better,
but as it doesn't run well on linux, it's hard to find the motivation.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-15 20:43     ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2010-04-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello erik,

>> main issue is interrupt count does not go below 4000. . .need to dig more into this, probably to compose a mail to the list :), but it does not hurt too much, at least for now.

> that shouldn't be happening unless you're doing a lot of disk/network
> io.

> if you're using 9atom, one would expect ~1100 interrupts/sec since
> HZ is set to 1000.  this makes timing work better and doesn't cost much
> performance.  in 9atom, /dev/irqalloc has an extra field that is the count
> of total interrupts.  i'm guessing that you have a ringing ide interrupt.
> but irqalloc should let you know who's the culprit.

> - erik

yes,  clock  is  the  one which has the count higher. . .other devices
are getting lower numbers by many orders.

gabi

--
Best regards,
 Gabriel                            mailto:gdiaz@rejaa.com

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-15 21:59 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-04-15 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ymmv, but here are two configurations I use:

VMware fusion on Mac -- but only to run cpu/fs/auth -- I use either drawterm or ACME-sac to get into it.  It is very snappy.  Easily as snappy (for me) as my standalone Plan 9 equivalent and I do basically all my work in this environment.  I do not run Venti on it, the plan was to use venti running on the host, linux box, or on the actual plan 9 box to back up the vm, but I never got around to setting it up.

Plan 9 running on kvm on Intel with a similar configuration (no graphics, just cpu/fs/auth) and without venti.

I've also dabbled with looking at using underlying Linux or MacOSX file systems to host files for the root of the Plan 9 system to make things even easier.  As it is my source directory is bound from /mnt term even though my root is from fossil on the virtual disk.  There are probably better file server configurations, but essentially I don't really trust fossil from a performance or stability standpoint.

Ron has his lguest stuff, that seems to work pretty well too, but he's in the process of fixing it for more recent kernels as the underlying platform is still a bit of a moving target.

    -eric

@ 2010-04-15 22:27   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-15 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There are probably better file server configurations,
> but essentially I don't really trust fossil from a performance
> or stability standpoint.

it's curious that fossil is typically considered the only choice.
what about ...
- kfs
- cwfs
- ken's fs in another vm.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-16  6:19   ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2010-04-16  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am agreed with Federico,

vmware. Do not spend time with other emulators.

El 15 de abr de 2010, 9:02 p.m., "Federico G. Benavento" <
benavento@gmail.com> escribió:

vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
the slowest

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com>
wrote: > My computer died...
--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-16 14:50   ` Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2010-04-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My computer died, so I'm in the market for a new one.  I figure I'd
>> like to get back into hacking on Plan 9 so I plan to install it
>> beneath a VM in whatever machine I buy.  I'm even considering Windows
>> 7 Pro with Virtual PC, but I think I'd prefer Xen or one of the
>> Linux-based things (VirtualBox, etc.).
>>
>> Ease of installation is important, as is the ability to run a somewhat
>> normal (Windows or Linux) host OS.  Are there any recommendations?
>>
> vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
> the slowest

How about Xen?  Has anyone here had luck wit it?

—Joel C. Salomon

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-16 16:40     ` Patrick Kelly
>vmware. Do not spend time with other emulators.

The only emulator you're spending time on is Qemu, the rest are virtualizers or simulators, and there is a significant difference.
Emulators are much slower, because of what they have to do.

@ 2010-04-16 16:42     ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-16 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >> My computer died, so I'm in the market for a new one.  I figure I'd
> >> like to get back into hacking on Plan 9 so I plan to install it
> >> beneath a VM in whatever machine I buy.  I'm even considering Windows
> >> 7 Pro with Virtual PC, but I think I'd prefer Xen or one of the
> >> Linux-based things (VirtualBox, etc.).
> >>
> >> Ease of installation is important, as is the ability to run a
> >> somewhat normal (Windows or Linux) host OS.  Are there any recommendations?
> >>
> > vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being the slowest
>
> How about Xen?  Has anyone here had luck wit it?

I haven't tried, but I was going to see if Hyper-V was possible. I've already stated VirtualPC works (conditionally), there's a possibility Hyper-V might too.

@ 2010-04-16 17:07       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-04-16 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 16 Apr 2010, at 17:40, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> [...]

Qemu is capable of full emulation, but when host & guest architecture
match (or are compatible, e.g. x86_32 guest and x86_64 host) it's a
virtualizer. Given x86 on x86, there is a world of difference between
Bochs's performance and Qemu's.

Qemu's display is slow, whatever other factors exist. Drawterm to a
qemu cpu server is very much faster. I can't speak for disk IO except
to say it seems fast under my light usage.

Also, to nit-pick, don't all virtualisers emulate peripheral hardware?

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-16 17:48         ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-16 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

> > The only emulator you're spending time on is Qemu, the rest are
> > virtualizers or simulators, and there is a significant difference.
> > Emulators are much slower, because of what they have to do.
>
> Qemu is capable of full emulation, but when host & guest architecture match (or are compatible, e.g. x86_32 guest and x86_64 host)
> it's a virtualizer. Given x86 on x86, there is a world of difference between Bochs's performance and Qemu's.

It's mostly full and not completely accurate.
I don't use Qemu so this may be wrong, but I was under the impression Qemu was an emulator unless you used kqemu, and then it lost emulation capability's.

> Qemu's display is slow, whatever other factors exist. Drawterm to a qemu cpu server is very much faster. I can't speak for disk IO
> except to say it seems fast under my light usage.
>
> Also, to nit-pick, don't all virtualisers emulate peripheral hardware?

For peripheral hardware, emulators and virtualizers are mostly the same, but that isn't the main reason most people use them, it's about the execution environment, which involves how the CPU is handled. Seeing as you didn't bring up a single full system emulator, I doubt you care more about peripherals.

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-16 19:00     ` James Chapman
From: James Chapman @ 2010-04-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This afternoon I downloaded a trial version of VM Fusion (Version
3.0.2 (232708)) and a fresh plan9.iso.bz2 and installed it on my core
2 due macbook running OS X Leopard (Version 10.5.8).

It works quite nicely, graphics and networking are both working. The
only things that tripped me up were I had to delete the IDE emulating
hard disk image and create a SCSI emulating before installation and
choose xga instead of the usual vesa for the screen.

I have had parallels working on several occasions in the past but a
recent attempt to get it working again failed. I couldn't even get it
to boot the installer.

James

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Rodolfo (kix) <kix@kix.es> wrote:
> I am agreed with Federico,
>
> vmware. Do not spend time with other emulators.
>
> El 15 de abr de 2010, 9:02 p.m., "Federico G.  Benavento"
> <benavento@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
> the slowest
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com>
> wrote: > My computer died...
>
> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 19:51       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-04-16 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have had parallels working on several occasions in the past but a
> recent attempt to get it working again failed. I couldn't even get it
> to boot the installer.

I just did a Parallels 5 on Snow Leopard a few days ago. To get anywhere
you have to use a 9atom ISO. I have a terminal instance installed but
haven't had time to do any serious banging on it. I have noticed that
twice now 9pcf has panicked while the VM instance was sitting idle. I
don't remember the panic message, but I should be able to reproduce it
easily enough.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 19:56         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-04-16 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also, "echo -n 'accelerated 0' > /dev/mousectl" is required to get the
mouse under control.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 20:25           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-16 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr 16 15:57:33 EDT 2010, lyndon@orthanc.ca wrote:
> Also, "echo -n 'accelerated 0' > /dev/mousectl" is required to get the
> mouse under control.

i've turned off mouse accelleration completely in 9atom.  i do
the multplication in the kernel, rather than relying on the
mouse to do it correctly.  i've found that kvms tend to screw
this part of the protocol up.  and really, why go to the trouble
of programming a mouse to do a multiplication?

- erik

From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-16 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just did a Parallels 5 on Snow Leopard a few days ago. To get anywhere
> you have to use a 9atom ISO. I have a terminal instance installed but
> haven't had time to do any serious banging on it. I have noticed that
> twice now 9pcf has panicked while the VM instance was sitting idle. I
> don't remember the panic message, but I should be able to reproduce it
> easily enough.

please send the panic message.  would like to fix.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 20:50           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-04-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> please send the panic message.  would like to fix.

panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
dumpstack disabled
cpu0: exiting

(the panic line does print twice)

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 21:04             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-16 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr 16 16:55:02 EDT 2010, lyndon@orthanc.ca wrote:
> > please send the panic message.  would like to fix.
>
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
> dumpstack disabled
> cpu0: exiting
>
> (the panic line does print twice)

please turn off *nodumpstack.  i'll need a full backtrace.
error is being called from an interrupt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-16 22:06               ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2010-04-16 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hmm. I'm using parallels 5 on leopard (not snow) and it works just fine with the
std distribution.

@ 2010-04-16 23:10           ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-04-16 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 16 Apr 2010, at 18:48, Patrick Kelly wrote:

>>> The only emulator you're spending time on is Qemu, the rest are
>>> virtualizers or simulators, and there is a significant difference.
>>> Emulators are much slower, because of what they have to do.
>>
>> Qemu is capable of full emulation, but when host & guest
>> architecture match (or are compatible, e.g. x86_32 guest and x86_64
>> host)
>> it's a virtualizer. Given x86 on x86, there is a world of
>> difference between Bochs's performance and Qemu's.
>
> It's mostly full and not completely accurate.
> I don't use Qemu so this may be wrong, but I was under the
> impression Qemu was an emulator unless you used kqemu, and then it
> lost emulation capability's.

It can virtualise better with kqemu or kvm, but... well, perhaps I
should say what I know rather than try to categorise. Take 3 set-ups.
A: arm guest, x86 host. Full emulation, kqemu cannot be used. B: x86
guest, x86 host without kqemu. C: x86 guest, x86 host with kqemu.
There is a much bigger performance gap between A and B than between B
and C.

>> Qemu's display is slow, whatever other factors exist. Drawterm to a
>> qemu cpu server is very much faster. I can't speak for disk IO
>> except to say it seems fast under my light usage.
>>
>> Also, to nit-pick, don't all virtualisers emulate peripheral
>> hardware?
>
> For peripheral hardware, emulators and virtualizers are mostly the
> same, but that isn't the main reason most people use them, it's
> about the execution environment, which involves how the CPU is
> handled. Seeing as you didn't bring up a single full system
> emulator, I doubt you care more about peripherals.

*nods* Not a big point for me right now.

--

@ 2010-04-16 23:35             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-16 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr 16 16:51:50 EDT 2010, lyndon@orthanc.ca wrote:
> > please send the panic message.  would like to fix.
>
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf01f047b addr=0x000002cc
> dumpstack disabled
> cpu0: exiting
>
> (the panic line does print twice)

looks like the vesa emulation barfs on screen blanking.
in parallels.  wierd.

the distribution doesn't have vesa screen blanking and
it is called from interrupt context (mouseclock).

here's a fix for that bug

ladd; diffy -c vgavesa.c
/n/dump/2010/0416/sys/src/9/pc/vgavesa.c:167,173 - vgavesa.c:167,176
  		u.bx = 0x0101;
  	else
  		u.bx = 0x0001;
- 	vbecall(&u);
+ 	if(!waserror()){
+ 		vbecall(&u);
+ 		poperror();
+ 	}
  }

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-17 15:37     ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-04-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Federico G. Benavento
> <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Joel C. Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My computer died, so I'm in the market for a new one.  I figure I'd
>>> like to get back into hacking on Plan 9 so I plan to install it
>>> beneath a VM in whatever machine I buy.  I'm even considering Windows
>>> 7 Pro with Virtual PC, but I think I'd prefer Xen or one of the
>>> Linux-based things (VirtualBox, etc.).
>>>
>>> Ease of installation is important, as is the ability to run a somewhat
>>> normal (Windows or Linux) host OS.  Are there any recommendations?
>>>

>> vmware, the rest just suck, qemu and virtual box being
>> the slowest
>>

> How about Xen?  Has anyone here had luck wit it?
>
> —Joel C. Salomon

Years ago i had run Plan9 inside Xen and wrote even some tutorial how to
set it up.  After finding out, that
filesystem performance was very bad i stopped perusing that project, so
i can't tell how it'd go with current
Xen.

Regards,

    Jorge-León

* Re: [9fans] Recommended emulators/VMs for P9 install
@ 2010-04-18 17:38       ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-18 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

Hyper-V is negative for 2008r2.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2010-04-19 15:30                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr 16 18:15:29 EDT 2010, nemo@lsub.org wrote:
> hmm. I'm using parallels 5 on leopard (not snow) and it works just fine with the
> std distribution.

according to my sources, parallels is a virtualizer, not an
emulator, so your milage may depend on your hardware.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2011-05-06 13:36   ` Daniel Lyons
From: Daniel Lyons @ 2011-05-06 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 6, 2011, at 1:36 AM, Anthony Sorace wrote:

> I have a VM that I created under Parallels 5 and am currently running under 6. It's several months old.

I seem to have gotten my version numbers mixed up. It's Parallels 6 over here as well.

>> 1. ps2intellimouse: scrolling works if you're scrolling down, but if you make the scroll up gesture, the mouse skitters off to the right and really doesn't scroll back up. Anyone seen this or have a tricky solution?
>
> I saw this for the first time today. In my case, scrolling up *also* creates occasional b2 presses. Weird. I haven't used the GUI on Parallels much for two years, so I can't help with when it was introduced.
>
>> 2. Ethernet card is not detected. I am not 100% sure there's nothing different in the configuration, but I've made the plan9.ini look the same in both VMs and still it fails to detect the NE2000 emulated ethernet card. There are also ominous messages about usbd: no hub during bootup that don't happen under the old one.
>
> Ethernet works here (and did under Parallels 5, as well), and I've got nothing in plan9.ini to trick it. You don't see the device at all (not just no data or whatnot)?

There's no /net/ether0, so I can't run ip/ipconfig to get any further.

>> Is there a boot log somewhere I can examine for messages I may not have seen, or any other debugging information I can go looking for?
>
> /dev/kmesg will give you the console prints so far; /dev/kprint will wait for new ones (and prevent them going to your actual console).

I don't see anything interesting there, except that it couldn't initialize usbd. Does usbd work for you?

—
Daniel Lyons

* Re: [9fans] Parallels 5
@ 2011-05-06  7:36 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-05-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-05-06  5:46 Daniel Lyons
From: Daniel Lyons @ 2011-05-06  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a rather old VM that I made under Parallels 3 that seems to work under Parallels 5. I think I installed that one in late 2009 or early 2010. As an experiment, I tried installing the current release under Parallels 5. It installs, and pretty quickly (<5 min), but there are two small issues:

1. ps2intellimouse: scrolling works if you're scrolling down, but if you make the scroll up gesture, the mouse skitters off to the right and really doesn't scroll back up. Anyone seen this or have a tricky solution?

2. Ethernet card is not detected. I am not 100% sure there's nothing different in the configuration, but I've made the plan9.ini look the same in both VMs and still it fails to detect the NE2000 emulated ethernet card. There are also ominous messages about usbd: no hub during bootup that don't happen under the old one.

Is there a boot log somewhere I can examine for messages I may not have seen, or any other debugging information I can go looking for?

I'm downloading 9atom to compare tomorrow.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Lyons