* [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-01 17:09 Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-09-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Trying to access sources from Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil fails with
'restricted remote address'. Last time I checked, people from Belo
Horizonte - MG - Brazil could connect.

any hints?

iru

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-01 21:41 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-09-01 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It should work now.  Brazil's whois server produces non-standard
output, so we have to recognise it specially, and the output format
has changed since we last adapted to it.

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-02  1:07   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-09-02  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/1/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> It should work now.  Brazil's whois server produces non-standard
> output, so we have to recognise it specially, and the output format
> has changed since we last adapted to it.

still the same: I can't connect from Rio de Janeiro but it's ok for a
friend in Belo Horizonte.

@ 2007-09-02 11:47     ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-09-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

i can't connect now from Spain :) mount/attach disallowed

sdls.

gabi

@ 2007-09-02 16:45       ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-09-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

it works now again

thanks

gabi

@ 2007-09-02 19:28       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-09-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you think you're being denied access incorrectly, please include
your IP address(es) in your mail to us.  The mostly likely cause is
that we can't reach a whois server.

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03  2:26         ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-09-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is probably a silly question, but why should anyone be denied
access on the basis of whatever a whois server who knows where might
or might not do?

Best wishes and thanks for fixing the issues iru was having.

uriel

@ 2007-09-03  2:34           ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-09-03  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Uriel,

As long as Plan 9 is hosted in the US and contains certain software
it's illegal to export to certain countries(IIRC North Korea, Iran
etc...). To stay on the right side of American law Geoff and gang have
to do it that way.

Noah

@ 2007-09-03  3:04             ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-09-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at almost every level:

1) why would whois info matter to determine where a client is? There
are databases of ip country locations which would make much more
sense, depending on notoriously unreliable whois servers is silly both
from a security point of view and from a reliability point of view.

2) are you saying that http://groups.google.com/group/plan9changes,
kernel.org or lkml are illegal? (or prety much any site that hosts
linux ISOs)

3) this is hardly surprising given how totally unenforceable any such
laws might be, anyone can import /net from tip9ug, or use a random
http proxy and make the whole thing pointless (other than keeping out
people like iru).

I might be stupid, but this still makes no sense to me, and I would
like to know why nobody else seems to have any such problems.

Best wishes

uriel

P.S.: Note the following notice in kernel.org:

Due to U.S. Exports Regulations, all cryptographic software on this
site is subject to the following legal notice:

    This site includes publicly available encryption source code
which, together with object code resulting from the compiling of
publicly available source code, may be exported from the United States
under License Exception "TSU" pursuant to 15 C.F.R. Section 740.13(e).

This legal notice applies to cryptographic software only. Please see
the Bureau of Industry and Security for more information about current
U.S. regulations.

@ 2007-09-03 11:19             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-09-03 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the export regulations might indeed be silly or unenforceable, or the interpretation
of them overly pessimistic, but it would be an unwise person who would
ever willingly risk any contact whatsoever with that curious breed known as US federal prosecutors.

of course, that's separate from the suggestion of using better databases etc.

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03 12:41               ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-09-03 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/3/07, Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:
> the export regulations might indeed be silly or unenforceable, or the interpretation
> of them overly pessimistic, but it would be an unwise person who would
> ever willingly risk any contact whatsoever with that curious breed known as US federal prosecutors.
>
> of course, that's separate from the suggestion of using better databases etc.

as long as we all know about sources' importance, i think the use of
better sources for determining request locations is of principal
matter since, for example, the actual scheme is so non-optimal that it
was denying access to me (and who knows who else) while allowing for
other people on the same country.

@ 2007-09-03 13:12               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-09-03 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1) why would whois info matter to determine where a client is? There
> are databases of ip country locations which would make much more
> sense, depending on notoriously unreliable whois servers is silly both
> from a security point of view and from a reliability point of view.

there are?  where are these available?

> 3) this is hardly surprising given how totally unenforceable any such
> laws might be, anyone can import /net from tip9ug, or use a random
> http proxy and make the whole thing pointless (other than keeping out
> people like iru).

you are missing the point.  i don't know any of the specifics and
may be speaking out of school, but i have implemented similar
restrictions.  when i did, the point was keeping the legal department
satisfied.  there job was protecting the company's interests.  and
since i am not a lawyer, i'm not much in a posittion to challenge
their legal judgement.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03 13:48                 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-09-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> of course, that's separate from the suggestion of using better databases etc.
>>

> as long as we all know about sources' importance, i think the use of
> better sources for determining request locations is of principal
> matter since, for example, the actual scheme is so non-optimal that it
> was denying access to me (and who knows who else) while allowing for
> other people on the same country.

that's true (which is why i said the databases etc was another matter).
on the other hand, even there, the whois stuff seemed to be working for
many years, so perhaps it's just a matter of accommodating the cases
that have recently gone wrong.

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03 17:44                 ` balaji
From: balaji @ 2007-09-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> there are?  where are these available?

ftp://ftp.apnic.net/pub/stats/arin/delegated-arin-latest

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03 19:44                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-09-03 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> there are?  where are these available?
>
> ftp://ftp.apnic.net/pub/stats/arin/delegated-arin-latest

arin only covers part of the world.  i don't see any
entries for bazil in this file.  all the rirs however are
required to implement whois.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sources access from brazil
@ 2007-09-03 19:55                     ` balaji
From: balaji @ 2007-09-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/3/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> >> there are?  where are these available?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.apnic.net/pub/stats/arin/delegated-arin-latest
>
> arin only covers part of the world.  i don't see any
> entries for bazil in this file.  all the rirs however are
> required to implement whois.

ftp://ftp.apnic.net/pub/stats/
afrinic
apnic
arin
iana
lacnic
ripe-ncc

lacnic covers latin america.

* [9fans] Re: sources access from brazil
@ 2007-12-02 23:15 ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-12-02 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sep 1, 2007 3:09 PM, Iruata Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Trying to access sources from Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil fails with
> 'restricted remote address'. Last time I checked, people from Belo
> Horizonte - MG - Brazil could connect.
>
> any hints?
>
> iru

same issue again, from rio de janeiro/brazil.
maybe something related to when the site goes down?

iru