* [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05  0:12 Michael Andronov
From: Michael Andronov @ 2008-02-05  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As I'm moving slowly via installing/configuring Plan 9 node... another
question appeared:

Can somebody navigate towards document describing installation/configuration
of wireless card under Plan 9?

(I guess I have seen something briefly why checking archives, but lost
it....
 Network Configuration article provides some briefs on network installation
itself, but not wireless in particular... )

Thanks for your advice and kind attention to this matter.

Michael.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05  0:14 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-05  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

man -P plan9.ini

and see if your wireless device is listed in the ETHERNET section.

@ 2008-02-05  1:23   ` Michael Andronov
From: Michael Andronov @ 2008-02-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot! It's answering a lot of questions.
Now I have only to  find plan9.ini on my machine... :)

Another question is about USB... I have 'an old machine', where USB is
provided as separate PCI card...
Unfortunately,  'man plan9.ini' does not provide too much 'options'/examples
about USB card drivers...
Any useful trick here?

Michael.

@ 2008-02-05  1:44     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-05  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

	9fat:
	cd /n/9fat
	acme plan9.ini

For USB, add this to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile, above the
switch but below the other bind lines:

	bind -a '#U' /dev
	usbd

Type

	man -t usb usbd usbdisk | page

for more information on all you can do with USB.

@ 2008-02-05  1:46       ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-02-05  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 4, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

> For USB, add this to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile, above the
> switch but below the other bind lines:
>
> 	bind -a '#U' /dev
> 	usbd

Scratch that. There is a line in /usr/$user/lib/profile that reads

	switch($terminal){

Above that, add

	bind -a '#U' /dev
	usbstart

usbstart sets up everything, including USB-based audio and the mouse.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05  1:48     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2008-02-05  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fat:
cd /n/9fat
ls

you should see plan9.ini

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05  4:23         ` Michael Andronov
From: Michael Andronov @ 2008-02-05  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

First, thanks a lot for the advices and help;

However, the theory to practice step seems  to be a bit longer :)

1. about network:
   - following your advice, found plan9.ini
   - i managed to modify it with sam, ( for some strange reason, when I'm
editing the file in ACME, the 'Put' option appears as soon as I modify the
file - and that is expected; but after I select 'Put' and press button2-
nothing happens.... Actually seems like commands within ACME toolsbar do not
want to react to button2 (?) ).
   - no matter what I put inside,  while booting Plan9 I can see the card
was detected, elkn3 was used, and media was set to 10Base... (And the card
is working fine after...) But the card is 100Base, and my intention was to
set it to be 100BaseTX...
   The line I added at the end of the plan9.ini reads:
   ether0=type=elnk3 media=100BaseTX  force100 fullduplex

So, that configuration step is still won by Plan9 :)

2.  I followed your advice on USB...
( By the way, the card I am trying to use - "Belkin Components/eTek Labs,
Model #F54220" ).

I put the lines you told me just above switch($services){...
The idea was to see the mouse connected to USB operational...

But I do not even see detection of USB card during start up...

So, that configuration step is also won by Plan9 :)

So, the current score is 2:0... But I still have a hope to win it one day.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Michael.

@ 2008-02-05  6:47           ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2008-02-05  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 04:23:18 -0000, Michael Andronov
<michael_andronov@sd-kyber.com> wrote:

> First, thanks a lot for the advices and help;
>
> However, the theory to practice step seems  to be a bit longer :)
>
> 1. about network:
>    - following your advice, found plan9.ini
>    - i managed to modify it with sam, ( for some strange reason, when I'm
> editing the file in ACME, the 'Put' option appears as soon as I modify
> the
> file - and that is expected; but after I select 'Put' and press button2-
> nothing happens.... Actually seems like commands within ACME toolsbar do
> not
> want to react to button2 (?) ).

You are probably pressing the wrong button. To Plan 9, button 2 is the
"middle" mouse button not the right button (the usual "button 2" on, say,
Windows) which is likely a depressible wheel on your mouse.

> On Feb 4, 2008 8:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 4, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
>>
>> For USB, add this to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile, above the switch
>> but below the other bind lines:
>>
>> bind -a '#U' /dev
>> usbd
>>

>> Scratch that. There is a line in /usr/$user/lib/profile that reads
>>
>> switch($terminal){
>>
>> Above that, add
>>
>> bind -a '#U' /dev
>> usbstart
>>
>> usbstart sets up everything, including USB-based audio and the mouse.

USB add-in cards usually have OHCI host controllers, which Plan 9 does not
support out-of-the-box. The supported host controllers on Plan 9 are
EHCI/UHCI. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

Assuming I am not wrong with that point, there must be some sort of
unofficial/contributed drivers for OHCI on Plan 9. Instructions on how to
install/configure them will be useful, I suppose.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05 12:39             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-05 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Assuming I am not wrong with that point, there must be some sort of
> unofficial/contributed drivers for OHCI on Plan 9. Instructions on how to
> install/configure them will be useful, I suppose.

not that i'm aware of.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...
@ 2008-02-05 16:58             ` Michael Andronov
From: Michael Andronov @ 2008-02-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>>>You are probably pressing the wrong button....
I have a 2 button mouse, and I was using CTL+right button...
Seems like it is working everywhere - sam, rio... and even ACME ( except
toolbars...?)
It is really strange behavior...  Or I was really too tired ... :)

But SAM saved me from that....

Michael.

@ 2008-02-05 17:35               ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-02-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ed(1) is worth learning (and often the fastest way to do small edits).
And there is always cat(1), which with hold mode is almost a full
fledged editor.

uriel