* iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25  6:19 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2020-03-25  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit rotted out?

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 11:19 ` Kim Lassila
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Kim Lassila @ 2020-03-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>
> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit rotted out?

Drawterm is quite slow at reading and writing pixels on the screen. I learned this when I started recording screen in Plan 9 (https://github.com/9d0/screencast <https://github.com/9d0/screencast>).

Instead of porting drawterm to different platforms I would like to see vncs improved to support the latest version of the Remote Framebuffer Protocol (RFC 6143). This would allow a standard VNC client to connect to a Plan 9 terminal, support screen resizing, local mouse cursor, and deliver all key strokes and mouse chords accurately. VNC is optimized to work over a large variety of different networks including high latency links and it will therefore offer a better user experience than drawterm, especially over wireless.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 12:41   ` Jeremy O'Brien
From: Jeremy O'Brien @ 2020-03-25 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 07:19, Kim Lassila wrote:

>> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>>
>> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit rotted out?
>
> Drawterm is quite slow at reading and writing pixels on the screen. I learned this when I started recording screen in Plan 9 (https://github.com/9d0/screencast).
>
> Instead of porting drawterm to different platforms I would like to see vncs improved to support the latest version of the Remote Framebuffer Protocol (RFC 6143). This would allow a standard VNC client to connect to a Plan 9 terminal, support screen resizing, local mouse cursor, and deliver all key strokes and mouse chords accurately. VNC is optimized to work over a large variety of different networks including high latency links and it will therefore offer a better user experience than drawterm, especially over wireless.
>
> Kim

http://man.9front.org/1/vnc ?

Unless you're talking about legacy Plan 9?

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 16:32     ` Kim Lassila
From: Kim Lassila @ 2020-03-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mar 25, 2020, at 14:42, Jeremy O'Brien <neutral@fastmail.com> wrote:

> http://man.9front.org/1/vnc ?
>
> Unless you're talking about legacy Plan 9?

Yes, I have tested vncs and vncv in 9front. They were written for the old protocol version 3.3 which does not support local mouse cursor or resizing the screen. It would improve the usability quite a bit if support for the latest protocol was added to these programs. Mouse cursor drawn by vncs is red, choppy and lags the real hardware cursor. It would be a lot better if vncs supported the local mouse cursor extension available in the newer protocol version.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 17:25   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2020-03-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

VNC is great for what it is, and I certainly wouldn’t object to seeing vncs upgraded, but it is not a replacement for drawterm. It does not expose local devices in a plan 9 friendly way. In addition to just using drawterm as a straightforward terminal, an iOS version would be a very good platform for playing around with exposing other capabilities that the device has to plan 9. I played around with this a little bit with the original port. VNC buys us none of this.

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 04:21, Kim Lassila <kim.lassila@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>>
>> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit rotted out?
>
> Drawterm is quite slow at reading and writing pixels on the screen. I learned this when I started recording screen in Plan 9 (https://github.com/9d0/screencast).
>
> Instead of porting drawterm to different platforms I would like to see vncs improved to support the latest version of the Remote Framebuffer Protocol (RFC 6143). This would allow a standard VNC client to connect to a Plan 9 terminal, support screen resizing, local mouse cursor, and deliver all key strokes and mouse chords accurately. VNC is optimized to work over a large variety of different networks including high latency links and it will therefore offer a better user experience than drawterm, especially over wireless.
>
> Kim
>
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 17:40       ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-03-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kim.lassila, 9fans

> Yes, I have tested vncs and vncv in 9front. They were written for the old protocol version 3.3 which does not support local mouse cursor or resizing the screen. It would improve the usability quite a bit if support for the latest protocol was added to these programs. Mouse cursor drawn by vncs is red, choppy and lags the real hardware cursor. It would be a lot better if vncs supported the local mouse cursor extension available in the newer protocol version.

When did you test? Support for resizing landed in the client, at least, in
2018, and works fine for me.

	changeset:   6677:5b0b9082b2c3
	user:        cinap_lenrek@felloff.net
	date:        Mon Aug 20 19:23:42 2018 +0200
	summary:     vncs: support for desktop resize extension, update devdraw

I use it regularly when I need to view web pages -- I VNC into a Vultr VPS
running Chrome.

I can't speak to the server side support, though, since I usually just use
rcpu when speaking to plan 9 systems, or drawterm when on Unix. Especially
over fast networks, I find it much more responsive, and exposing local
devices through /mnt/term makes using it much nicer.

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 17:49     ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

how about vnc + drawterm -G; 2 connections? just a wild suggestion. -G (no graphics) is a feature of 9front's drawterm, but i think it should connect to labs.

red cursor is a little 9front hack; it's transparent to red only. i'm sure it could be reverted fairly easily, but the cursor is too small when the dpi is very high. client-side cursor would be much larger on my windows machines, presumably others too.

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-25 17:51   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-03-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rummaging around /mnt/term when using drawterm might be enlightening.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:20 AM Kim Lassila <kim.lassila@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>
> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS
> drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit
> rotted out?
>

> Drawterm is quite slow at reading and writing pixels on the screen. I
> learned this when I started recording screen in Plan 9 (
> https://github.com/9d0/screencast).
>
> Instead of porting drawterm to different platforms I would like to see
> vncs improved to support the latest version of the Remote Framebuffer
> Protocol (RFC 6143). This would allow a standard VNC client to connect to a
> Plan 9 terminal, support screen resizing, local mouse cursor, and deliver
> all key strokes and mouse chords accurately. VNC is optimized to work over
> a large variety of different networks including high latency links and it
> will therefore offer a better user experience than drawterm, especially
> over wireless.
>
> Kim
>
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T69dec3540d033863-M0322b1152190d9107a821115>

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-27  5:51     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2020-03-27  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I mean, c’mon, now it practically *needs* drawterm...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-OctqFhNnB/?igshid=rmqsml1hwqck

@ 2020-03-27 12:21       ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-27 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020, at 5:51 AM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> I mean, c’mon, now it practically *needs* drawterm...
>
> https://www.instagram.com/p/B-OctqFhNnB/?igshid=rmqsml1hwqck

It also needs to be mounted vertically in a case which looks like the Blit. :D

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-27 12:25     ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2020-03-27 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I agree. Besides, drawterm isn't that bad even over high-latency
VPN. I experimented a bit by running drawterm at work against a plan9
server at home, and it was quite usable, and much better than Emacs running
over X using the same connection. Of course, Emacs IS notoriously bad at
this...

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 6:28 PM Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> VNC is great for what it is, and I certainly wouldn’t object to seeing
> vncs upgraded, but it is not a replacement for drawterm. It does not expose
> local devices in a plan 9 friendly way. In addition to just using drawterm
> as a straightforward terminal, an iOS version would be a very good platform
> for playing around with exposing other capabilities that the device has to
> plan 9. I played around with this a little bit with the original port. VNC
> buys us none of this.
>
> On Mar 25, 2020, at 04:21, Kim Lassila <kim.lassila@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>
> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS
> drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit
> rotted out?
>

> Drawterm is quite slow at reading and writing pixels on the screen. I
> learned this when I started recording screen in Plan 9 (
> https://github.com/9d0/screencast).
>
> Instead of porting drawterm to different platforms I would like to see
> vncs improved to support the latest version of the Remote Framebuffer
> Protocol (RFC 6143). This would allow a standard VNC client to connect to a
> Plan 9 terminal, support screen resizing, local mouse cursor, and deliver
> all key strokes and mouse chords accurately. VNC is optimized to work over
> a large variety of different networks including high latency links and it
> will therefore offer a better user experience than drawterm, especially
> over wireless.
>
> Kim
>
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T69dec3540d033863-M9f0ca03599a57293298a1e8c>

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-31  8:52 ` yy
From: yy @ 2020-03-31  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 07:40, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> With iOS getting first-class mouse pointer support, I’m looking at the iOS drawterm port again. Has anyone touched this since the old GSoC project bit rotted out?

In case there is any interest, I would be glad of helping to port
devwsys: https://bitbucket.org/yiyus/devwsys-prev/src/default/

Even if the goal is to have drawterm, this may be an easier middle
step, since it would allow you to get something working first, and
later you could use the same devices from drawterm.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] iOS drawterm
@ 2020-03-31 10:58   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-31 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020, at 9:52 AM, yy wrote:

> In case there is any interest, I would be glad of helping to port
> devwsys: https://bitbucket.org/yiyus/devwsys-prev/src/default/
>
> Even if the goal is to have drawterm, this may be an easier middle
> step, since it would allow you to get something working first, and
> later you could use the same devices from drawterm.

indeed. it could be bound to drawterm -G if android or ios lets them talk to each other.