* [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 10:53 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-03-12 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,
I have a Slackware installation running on my box. On top of it, I
often use qemu to run plan9, but it's inconvenient to constantly keep
track of the things I do there, like C programs, because many of them
are also useful under Slackware (then I compile them under linux with
p9p's 9c). So the approach I've taken is to run 9vx and invoke
% aux/listen1 -tv tcp!192.168.1.2!12345 /bin/exportfs
from there. Then, from plan9 inside qemu, I run
% import -A tcp!192.168.1.1!12345 /usr/hugo /n/temp
and then bind anything I want inside /n/temp to my namespace in plan9.
That way I don't need to keep track of anything I do inside qemu.
But the next step I want to take is to run just a terminal with qemu,
probably using the plan9 iso image, and have 9vx as my fileserver. Do
you know if this is even possible? I'm not sure it is since 9vx is not
actually plan9. Can you offer me some hints on how to do it?
Saludos a todos,

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 12:37 ` maht
From: maht @ 2010-03-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/03/2010 10:53, hugo rivera wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a Slackware installation running on my box. On top of it, I
> often use qemu to run plan9, but it's inconvenient to constantly keep
> track of the things I do there, like C programs, because many of them
> are also useful under Slackware (then I compile them under linux with
> p9p's 9c). So the approach I've taken is to run 9vx and invoke
> % aux/listen1 -tv tcp!192.168.1.2!12345 /bin/exportfs
> from there. Then, from plan9 inside qemu, I run
> % import -A tcp!192.168.1.1!12345 /usr/hugo /n/temp
> and then bind anything I want inside /n/temp to my namespace in plan9.
> That way I don't need to keep track of anything I do inside qemu.
> But the next step I want to take is to run just a terminal with qemu,
> probably using the plan9 iso image, and have 9vx as my fileserver. Do
> you know if this is even possible? I'm not sure it is since 9vx is not
> actually plan9. Can you offer me some hints on how to do it?
> Saludos a todos,

I use u9fs and run it on my Linux / BSD machines using tcpserver (though
inetd works too)

I run them with -a none :) but it's a private LAN. Auth does work but I
don't use it.

You can also run u9fs on the end of ssh, e.g.

tcpserver localhost 564 ssh remote u9fs -a none

see http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/4/u9fs for more details

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 15:44 ` yy
From: yy @ 2010-03-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/3/12 hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>:
> But the next step I want to take is to run just a terminal with qemu,

Since it looks like you have the option, I would not suggest to use a
qemu image as your terminal. Instead, make 9vx or drawterm your
terminal and you will have access to your host file system for free
(and to the clipboard!). I have not used qemu images extensively, but
the few times I have, I found much better to use drawterm or cpu into
it from 9vx than running rio inside qemu.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 16:53   ` ron minnich
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Unless there's some compelling reason to use qemu (I can't think of
one) why not just use 9vx exclusively? I've made a transition over the
years:
qemu
xen
kvm
lguest
9vx

And am stuck at 9vx ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 17:02     ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-03-12 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9vx crashes on me quite often, and qemu doesn't. That's the only
reason I use qemu, otherwise I'd also be stuck with 9vx too :-)

--

@ 2010-03-12 18:48       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM, hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com> wrote:
> 9vx crashes on me quite often, and qemu doesn't. That's the only
> reason I use qemu, otherwise I'd also be stuck with 9vx too :-)

GSOC proposal: build tool to make 9vx failures easier and improve the
reliability of 9vx

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 23:04     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2010-03-12 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless there's some compelling reason to use qemu (I can't think of
> one)

Debugging the kernel.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 23:10       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-12 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless there's some compelling reason to use qemu (I can't think of
>> one)
>
> Debugging the kernel.

believe it or not, I even do that on 9vx. For many things, esp. things
in port, it's good enough for me. In fact I did a "curried pipe" in
9vx just to try some things out.

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 23:31       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-03-12 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 9vx crashes on me quite often, and qemu doesn't. That's the only
> reason I use qemu, otherwise I'd also be stuck with 9vx too :-)

Are you running the latest from sources, or are you using
the prebuilt binary?  There are important stability fixes
in the sources that aren't in the binary (unless its been updated
recently).

> Hugo

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-12 23:50         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-12 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> believe it or not, I even do that on 9vx. For many things, esp. things
> in port, it's good enough for me. In fact I did a "curried pipe" in
> 9vx just to try some things out.

i find development to go very fast on plan 9.

now that /dev/reboot $kern is working for me, i
can restart the kernel in less time than it takes the
monitor to reset.  (0.5s) of course kenc is faster than
gcc.  the added benefits are that i can debug
device drivers and use regular kenc style or gcc's
different % rounding and the little differences
between 9vx and the regular kernel.

i've found it very comfortable for building some
rather large systems.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-13  1:29           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2010-03-13  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i find development to go very fast on plan 9.

depends how many machines you have.

> gcc's different % rounding

hmm?

russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-13  2:11             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-13  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > gcc's different % rounding
>
> hmm?

i'm sorry.  totally wrong.  i thought i remembered and i
didn't.  it was a different problem entirely.

i found i had to make loads of changes like the following

/sys/src/9/ip/devip.c:47,53 - /mnt/term/home/quanstro/hg2/vx32.old/src/9vx/a/ip/devip.c:47,53
  #define TYPE(x) 	( ((ulong)(x).path) & Masktype )
  #define CONV(x) 	( (((ulong)(x).path) >> Shiftconv) & Maskconv )
  #define PROTO(x) 	( (((ulong)(x).path) >> Shiftproto) & Maskproto )
- #define QID(p, c, y) 	( ((p)<<(Shiftproto)) | ((c)<<Shiftconv) | (y) )
+ #define QID(p, c, y) 	( ((uint)(p)<<(Shiftproto)) | ((uint)(c)<<Shiftconv) | (y) )

  static char network[] = "network";

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-13 14:02         ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-03-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/3/13, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net>:
> Are you running the latest from sources, or are you using
> the prebuilt binary?  There are important stability fixes
> in the sources that aren't in the binary (unless its been updated
> recently).

Prebuilt binary, downloaded on Feb/22/2010.

--

@ 2010-03-13 18:09           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I build 9vx from source and routinely have it running for days, until
I need an ubongo reboot in fact. Don't know how to figure out what's
different but I do know that gcc/glibc/distros in linux universe are
so variable, literally week to week, that the build environment is
very unstable. That might be an issue with any prebuilt version, or a
version you build yourself -- you really can't win.

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-13 19:38     ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-03-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, ron minnich

> Unless there's some compelling reason to use qemu (I can't think of
> one) why not just use 9vx exclusively? I've made a transition over the
> years:
> qemu
> xen
> kvm
> lguest
> 9vx
>
> And am stuck at 9vx ...

So, are you more interested in 9vx than lguest?  Or have I misinterpreted what
you ment by stuck ;-)

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-13 21:00       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:

> So, are you more interested in 9vx than lguest?  Or have I misinterpreted what
> you ment by stuck ;-)

Just going by performance and portability, 9vx is a way better way to
go than lguest.

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-14  1:20         ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-03-14  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich, ebo; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > So, are you more interested in 9vx than lguest? �Or have I
> > misinterpreted what you ment by stuck ;-)
>
> Just going by performance and portability, 9vx is a way better way to
> go than lguest.

I have to take a look at it later then.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on qemu and 9vx
@ 2010-03-14 11:24             ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-03-14 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It seems that 9vx has become a lot more stable than before. The last
time I used it to write anything in C was like 8 months ago, and the
instability issues I had in mind are dated from back then. So I'll
give it another try and perhaps it will become my main plan 9
platform.

--
Hugo