* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-13 13:44 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2018-12-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

no, its just rio. the global Mouse *mouse that is. its not from the
library. all these things can be easily found by grep.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-13 21:13 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-12-13 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, at 1:44 PM, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> no, its just rio. the global Mouse *mouse that is. its not from the
> library. all these things can be easily found by grep.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  I used grep.  I saw where mouse is set in rio: only at init.  I didn't find what sets the data pointed to by mouse, and how to wait for a couple more events.  I needed to know those things to implement the exit confirmation.  I kept grep-ing and Look-ing, but hadn't yet found it when I realised I was so stressed it was time to stop.  It's possible my eyesight was partly responsible for my stress, but I've tried hard to alleviate that and I still keep getting stressed.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-14 11:22   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-12-14 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, at 9:13 PM, Ethan Gardener wrote:
> so stressed it was time to stop.

I guess I ought to mention that when I lay down I found I had a lot of muscle tension.  That may well have had something to do with the stress.  I don't quite understand why, when I can play Minecraft in a relatively awkward pose: arms apart for WASD+mouse, for twice as long as typing.  Typing ought to be more comfortable.  Debugging the human body is hard.  Maybe the trouble starts when I'm thinking about the code instead of my posture, and end up typing in an awkward pose.  I'll be happy if it's fixable and external to Plan 9.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-14 11:46     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-12-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

remote-diagnostics are difficult. try to find local people of those schools that take in mind both the body and the psychis.

@ 2018-12-14 13:23       ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-12-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018, at 11:46 AM, hiro wrote:
> remote-diagnostics are difficult.

Yes indeed! :)  I said it mostly for cinap's sake, since I've been a bit difficult about "Plan 9 causing me stress".

> try to find local people of those
> schools that take in mind both the body and the psychis.

I've always associated holistic therapy with a touch of craziness, but suppose I do need something of the sort.  Doctors here try to limit fixes to one problem at a time and you only get a 10 minute interview.  I had a good doctor, but he retired.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-14 14:16         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-12-14 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

the connection between mind and body is hard to refute, and i don't
doubt that crazyness is carried more openly by people associated with
this idea.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-14 15:04           ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2018-12-14 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

what is difference (connection?) between mind and body?

it’s no problem.

sl

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-14 23:46             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-12-14 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

having had spinal problems i tried various therapists, alternative and traditional, and eventually came back to the first one i tried (physio) whit a different therapist.

if you give something a good try and it doesn't work,try something, or someone else.

don't give up.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-15 13:41               ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-12-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018, at 11:46 PM, Steve Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having had spinal problems i tried various therapists, alternative and
> traditional, and eventually came back to the first one i tried (physio)
> whit a different therapist.
>
> if you give something a good try and it doesn't work,try something, or
> someone else.
>
> don't give up.

Thanks Steve!  That's encouraging. :)  However, there is something else wrong after all.  Today I got stressed without any physical problem.  I just wanted to remind myself how to handle file read errors and EOF in C, because I haven't done it for a long time.  Part of it was vague error documentation in fopen(2) and no error documentation in read(2), so maybe I should establish the Documentation Liberation Front. ;)  I like writing, but I can have more fun and get more things done for myself with other languages and systems.

The other part was fussing about with error strings.  This wouldn't be a problem in APL, which I know and like.  APL implementations normally include simple interfaces, which is good for me.  (APLX even makes Tk look too complex!)  Much the same could be said (with less "like") for Python, and there are other languages which intrigue me and would probably be fun to learn.  At a lower level, I would like to build my own string/array library.  It would be an intriguing project, but it would fit into Forth slightly better than C due to Forth's simple extensible syntax.  I'm thinking I probably should give up on Plan 9 C.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-13 13:28 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2018-12-13 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, at 11:23 AM, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> huh? rio doesnt use event library.

i know.

> it uses mouse(2) instead, which gives
> you a Mousectl* that contains a channel. the "mouse" variable of
> type Mouse* points into that mousectl

^-- This part is completely invisible in the code.  That's my complaint.
It might not be so bad if I lived and breathed Plan 9, I suppose,
but I don't want to go that far.  Without that level of familiarity,
the code is as clear as mud.

I suppose I'm complaining about a convenience feature making it
unclear, but I just got badly stressed over it *again*.  It turns out
it's not even rio, but a library feature rio makes heavy use of.
It's certainly made me rethink my opinion of convenience features.
If the library didn't provide this, the code which uses it would have
an indication of where the data is coming from.
Even if rio assigned the "mouse" variable in exactly the way the
library presently does, I wouldn't have got stressed trying to find it.

Thank you for your clear explanation, but I don't think I'll pursue
this further with these libraries.  Various things from /sys/src/libdraw
have caused me stress, so I've put new libraries on my hobby list. :)
Maybe I'll get them done, or maybe I'll give up on programming
anything of any depth. I don't know.

* Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
@ 2018-12-13 11:23 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2018-12-13 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

huh? rio doesnt use event library. it uses mouse(2) instead, which gives
you a Mousectl* that contains a channel. the "mouse" variable of
type Mouse* points into that mousectl which caches the most recent mouse
data read from the channel. it gets updated by readmouse() which is
in libdraw.

here:

int
readmouse(Mousectl *mc)