* Re: [9front] Argument lists in Plan 9 man pages
@ 2018-03-15  2:57 sl
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: sl @ 2018-03-15  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 09:53:38PM -0400, sl@stanleylieber.com
wrote: >> From Tufte, Edward R (2001) [1983], The Visual Display of
Quantitative >> Information (2nd ed.), Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press,
ISBN >> 0-9613921-4-2: >> >>
http://img.stanleylieber.com:80/src/19787/img/small.1521069102.png > >
Tufte is full of it.

I agree with Tufte, at least so far as this applies to man pages.
Flag options should be presented as a table.

Compare:

	http://man.9front.org/1/rio

with:

	http://man.9front.org/4/upasfs

Both styles are distributed across the total collection of man pages.
The pages that try to describe flag options by clumping them together
into communal paragraphs require all kinds of awkward constructions
that are only slightly more legible (because flag options are printed
in an alternate font) in the fully-formatted PostScript output.  Even
then, all the extra words needed to shore up embedding them into
literary prose obscure the information the page is trying to
communicate.

The argument against my point of view is that the man pages are
supposed to be kept short enough, and programs should have few enough
flag options, that it never becomes a problem wading through tens of
paragraphs to locate the flag option you're looking for.  This
argument doesn't wash.  Parsing the big paragraphs for flag options is
cognitively disruptive and prone to error when the reader has no need
to re-digest the entirety of an already chewed over man page.

This is not a call to action.  I will not revise a single man page.  I
will continue to author new man pages that display flag options as a
table.

Thank you for your time.

sl

* Re: [9front] Argument lists in Plan 9 man pages
@ 2018-03-16  1:25 sl
From: sl @ 2018-03-16  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Furthermore, it appears Tufte is speaking specifically about
> quantitative materials.
> I'm not confident flags are quantitative.

The Tufte stuff is about not accidentally lying with pictures.  A
substantial portion of the book I quoted is devoted to recommending
text tables where graphics are commonly employed.  I think his
perspective can be applied generally to all forms of communication.

> Having said this, I agree with sl

Let's draft a time series.

sl

* Re: [9front] Argument lists in Plan 9 man pages
@ 2018-03-16  1:20 sl
From: sl @ 2018-03-16  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> I agree with Tufte, at least so far as this applies to man pages.
>> Flag options should be presented as a table.
>
> Counterpoint:
>
> Man pages should provide a full and well-articulated explanation of the
> software.  Tufte's table advocacy is more appropriate for a 'usage'
> function that might describe invocation to a user who passed a help
> flag or fucked up the initial attempt.
>
> Tufte's USA Today stuff is fine for sales brochures and nutrition
> information labels -- man pages should be the developer speaking to the
> user, and that happens in English.

I want both English and legibility. I don't think tabulating flag options
violates any of this.  Clarity shouldn't replace depth.

sl

* Argument lists in Plan 9 man pages
@ 2018-03-15  1:53 sl