* sshfs
@ 2020-07-29  2:43 thinktankworkspaces
From: thinktankworkspaces @ 2020-07-29  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

So glad to have plan9 with email working.

So what am I doing wrong with sshf here now that I can copy and paste my problem.

cpu% sshfs williamgunnells@172.27.0.68:/Users/williamgunnells $home/sshdir
ssh: dial: cs: can't translate service
sshfs: read: eof
cpu%

* Re: [9front] sshfs
@ 2020-07-29  3:33 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-07-29  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 28, 2020 10:43:16 PM EDT, thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com wrote:
>So glad to have plan9 with email working.
>
>So what am I doing wrong with sshf here now that I can copy and paste
>my problem.
>

>cpu% sshfs williamgunnells@172.27.0.68:/Users/williamgunnells
>$home/sshdir
>ssh: dial: cs: can't translate service
>sshfs: read: eof
>cpu%

i'm not at a computer, but the usage suggests your syntax may be invalid:

; sshfs                                                 usage: sshfs [-abdRUG] [-s service] [-m mtpt] [-u uidfile] [-g gidfile] [-- ssh-options] [user@]host                                 sshfs [-abdRUG] [-s service] [-m mtpt] [-u uidfile] [-g gidfile] -c cmdline                                                   sshfs [-abdRUG] [-s service] [-m mtpt] [-u uidfile] [-g gidfile] -p

check the man page for more information:

http://man.9front.org/4/sshfs

sl

* Re: [9front] sshfs
@ 2020-07-29  4:45   ` thinktankworkspaces
From: thinktankworkspaces @ 2020-07-29  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Right the manpages kind of poorly writen. Should have an example usage.
The flags should be listed similar to item of a list rather than hunt
them down.

It really starts out confusing.

If -c is specified, sshfs will instead launch thecommand specified by cmdline and if -p is specified, sshfs communicates with an SFTP server via stdin and stdout

I guess I go with -p

Unless -M is specified, sshfs will mount itself at the mountpoint specified by mtpt. Okay so I need mount point

cpu% sshfs -p williamgunnells@172.27.0.68 -m /Users/williamgunnells
\x05\x01\x03

.
sshfs: received garbage
cpu% sshfs -p -d williamgunnells@172.27.0.68 -m $home/sshdir
SFTP --> SSH_FXP_INIT
\x05\x01\x03

Why make it more complicated.

see bind(1)) with -c. -a and -b have the save function as they do with
mount. What?

So now I have to look at bind(1)

Does that have -a -b

Yes -b Both files must be directories. Add the new directory to the Beginning of the union directory represented by the old file

oh and -a is end of the untion

Hmm I wonder if there is an example in bind(1)

NOPE

It does have an example of mount /srv/boo /n/dump dump

sounds logical

What does that have to do with sshfs again now. I forgot

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3962 bytes --]

From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] sshfs
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 23:33:02 -0400

@ 2020-07-29  5:21     ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2020-07-29  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com once said:
> Right the manpages kind of poorly writen. Should have an example usage.
> The flags should be listed similar to item of a list rather than hunt
> them down.
>
> It really starts out confusing.

No, the man page is clear. It might serve you well to cultivate
a habit of experimenting before sending an email out to dozens
of people.

Start with something simple:

% sshfs user@host
% ls /n/ssh

If you want the remote tree mounted elsewhere in your
namespace:

% sshfs -m /some/other/path user@host
% ls /some/other/path

If you want to mount a remote tree other than the remote
user's home directory:

% sshfs -r /remote/tree user@host
% ls /n/ssh

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [9front] sshfs
@ 2020-07-29  5:24     ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2020-07-29  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Please just read the entire man page from start to finish rather than
trying to quickly pick out the pieces you think you need.  It's not
very long and I'll bet your luck improves as a result.

Spoiler: You do not want to be using the -c or -p options.  You also
seem to be misunderstanding what one or all of the -M, -m, and -r
options do.

* Re: [9front] sshfs
@ 2020-07-29  5:49       ` thinktankworkspaces
From: thinktankworkspaces @ 2020-07-29  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I did experiment FYI. I wasted an hour or more because I assumed you needed a colon
after the IP or domain name. That one mistake really makes things confusing.

When I removed the colon and included -r and -m it seemed I was getting further away.

Again you showed very clear concrete examples. Those examples are nowhere in the man
page. The manpage is confusing and I stand by my intial statements.

Your examples show -m and -r

When I used them on the same line I still had errors.

The man page shows a bunch of other flags which is the first step to making things
confusing. -abdRUGM

[ -- ssh-options ] [user@host | -c cmdline | -p

Normally that would be the best example and yet again I went down the wrong
direction.

Sorry for the disturbance

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4183 bytes --]

From: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:21:41 -0700

@ 2020-07-29  6:03       ` thinktankworkspaces
From: thinktankworkspaces @ 2020-07-29  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I got it working thanks to the previous reply. Nice group here. Thanks

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3556 bytes --]