* Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-14  1:59 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2018-02-14  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Based on the man pages, it looks like 2ed shipped with it:

Oh, it might have.  Two decades ago ... my memory is a bit fuzzy.

I have the 2ed sources, but they are on an ATA disk that stopped spinning
up a few years ago, so I can't check.

But 20 years later, there is no TeX, so the manpages should be updated.

* Re: [9front] Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-14  9:15 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-02-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

why mot have tex(1) manpage which states that rex is not included by default but gives a weblink for a recommended  tex package, e.g. kertex, which is tested on an9.

this manpage would then be overwritten by the tex installation.

everyone happy (unlikely)

-Steve

@ 2018-02-18  6:55   ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2018-02-18  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 09:15:25 Steve Simon wrote:
> why mot have tex(1) manpage which states that rex is not included by default
> but gives a weblink for a recommended  tex package, e.g. kertex, which is
> tested on an9.
>
> this manpage would then be overwritten by the tex installation.
>
> everyone happy (unlikely)
>
> -Steve

If someone makes a port for some TeX package that does this I would be okay
with it. Knowing that certainly won't happen unless I do it, the references
really just should be nuked. If a package doesn't ship with 9front it
shouldn't be in they system's manpages.

--
Veety

* Re: [9front] Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-18 12:04     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-02-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

but someone did, kertex!

> On 18 Feb 2018, at 06:55, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 09:15:25 Steve Simon wrote:
>> why mot have tex(1) manpage which states that rex is not included by default
>> but gives a weblink for a recommended  tex package, e.g. kertex, which is
>> tested on an9.
>>
>> this manpage would then be overwritten by the tex installation.
>>
>> everyone happy (unlikely)
>>
>> -Steve
>
> If someone makes a port for some TeX package that does this I would be okay
> with it. Knowing that certainly won't happen unless I do it, the references
> really just should be nuked. If a package doesn't ship with 9front it
> shouldn't be in they system's manpages.
>
> --
> Veety

* Re: [9front] Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-18 14:12     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-02-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Knowing that certainly won't happen unless I do it

What entitles you to think that?

* Re: [9front] Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-18 17:18       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-02-18 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

do i need some form of entitlement to think?

i always regarded myself as empowered to think anything i like, by virtue of my existence as a sentient being..

unless you are telling me this is all a nightmare, and in the real world plan9 is the dominant operating system, following linus and bill’s acceptance of its clear superiority.

who knows, existentialism is hard to disprove.

-Steve

@ 2018-02-18 19:56       ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2018-02-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I started this mess and I'm sorry for that. Although it's not perfect, I
took the package kurt linked (tex.iso.bz2) and have adjusted the build a
bit and it is now stuffed in ports. Like steve said, there is also kertex.

Cheers,
Sean

On 02/18/2018 06:04 AM, Steve Simon wrote:
> but someone did, kertex!
>

>> On 18 Feb 2018, at 06:55, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 09:15:25 Steve Simon wrote:
>>> why mot have tex(1) manpage which states that rex is not included by default
>>> but gives a weblink for a recommended  tex package, e.g. kertex, which is
>>> tested on an9.
>>>
>>> this manpage would then be overwritten by the tex installation.
>>>
>>> everyone happy (unlikely)
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> If someone makes a port for some TeX package that does this I would be okay
>> with it. Knowing that certainly won't happen unless I do it, the references
>> really just should be nuked. If a package doesn't ship with 9front it
>> shouldn't be in they system's manpages.
>>
>> --
>> Veety

* Re: [9front] Re: TeX
@ 2018-02-19  4:32       ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2018-02-19  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:04:13 Steve Simon wrote:
> but someone did, kertex!
>
> > On 18 Feb 2018, at 06:55, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 09:15:25 Steve Simon wrote:
> >> why mot have tex(1) manpage which states that rex is not included by
> >> default but gives a weblink for a recommended  tex package, e.g. kertex,
> >> which is tested on an9.
> >>
> >> this manpage would then be overwritten by the tex installation.
> >>
> >> everyone happy (unlikely)
> >>
> >> -Steve
> >
> > If someone makes a port for some TeX package that does this I would be
> > okay
> > with it. Knowing that certainly won't happen unless I do it, the
> > references
> > really just should be nuked. If a package doesn't ship with 9front it
> > shouldn't be in they system's manpages.

I mean added to the ports tree.

--
Veety