* RE: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-04 13:27 Beck01, Wolfgang
From: Beck01, Wolfgang @ 2003-03-04 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Me Too.

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-05 20:36       ` Nicolas George
From: Nicolas George @ 2003-03-05 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le quintidi 15 ventôse, an CCXI, Ceri Storey a écrit :
> It looks good to me, but I don't suppose it'd be possible to have it
> extensible to other address families? Myself, i'd like getaddrinfo
> etc to handle unix addresses transparently. Admittedly this isn't
> supported in any C implementation I know of, but IMHO it'd be nice.

For Unix domain addresses, this is supported by the implementation given
by Richard Stevens in Unix Network Programming, with /unix or /local as
node name, and the path to the socket as service name. I have heard that
there were a similar system in the GNU libc, but I never checked.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-05 20:27       ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2003-03-05 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Trade

On Wednesday, Mar 5, 2003, at 04:59 US/Pacific, Ceri Storey wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:22:06AM +0100, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
>> I did some things on ipv6 too. I made a patch for the Unix library :
>>
>> http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/index.html#ipv6
>>
>> There's getaddrinfo and getnameinfo support and some other things too.
>
> It looks good to me, but I don't suppose it'd be possible to have it
> extensible to other address families? Myself, i'd like getaddrinfo
> etc to handle unix addresses transparently. Admittedly this isn't
> supported in any C implementation I know of, but IMHO it'd be nice.

Not to mention it would also be nice to get support for multicast,
IPsec, ICMP, etc.

The way I have been approaching this problem is to ditch the sockets
layer in the Unix library, and roll my own extensible sockets layer.
That way I can support new address families, socket types, protocols
and socket options without having to change the module signatures in
the existing library.  As a bonus, I get more type safety in the socket
interface and a couple of convenience functions for manipulating socket
addresses more easily.

I doubt this approach will ever be used in the standard distribution,
though.  I'm also not expecting to be able to release my code until
probably after the next OCaml release-- whenever that is.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-05 15:19     ` Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2003-03-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Anyone know if there are plans to include these patches in the standard
distribution?

>  Shawn Wagner [Tuesday 4 March 2003] :
>  >
>  > On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:29:41AM -0500, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
>  > > Any ideas if/when ipv6 support will make it into the Unix module?
> I know that there is a patch for the compiler that provides this
> functionality, but for obvious reasons it would be more convenient
> to have it in the standard distribution.
>  >
>  > I did a lot of work on this a while back, but got bogged down with
> other things. I think all that's left in what I was working on is
> adding getaddrinfo and getnameinfo support. I might blow the dust off
> in it in a bit, but it'll be a while, as I'm very busy with other
> things, and when it comes to ocaml stuff, another ocaml-mysql release
> has priority. That should, free time permitting, happen next week.
> Then I can hopefully dig out the ipv6 stuff.
>
> I did some things on ipv6 too. I made a patch for the Unix library :
>
> http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/index.html#ipv6
>
> There's getaddrinfo and getnameinfo support and some other things too.
>
> --
>    Olivier

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916 (new key as of Dec 4th)
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-05 12:59     ` Ceri Storey
From: Ceri Storey @ 2003-03-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Andrieu; +Cc: Caml List, Shawn Wagner

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:22:06AM +0100, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
> I did some things on ipv6 too. I made a patch for the Unix library :
>
> http://oandrieu.nerim.net/ocaml/index.html#ipv6
>
> There's getaddrinfo and getnameinfo support and some other things too.

It looks good to me, but I don't suppose it'd be possible to have it
extensible to other address families? Myself, i'd like getaddrinfo
etc to handle unix addresses transparently. Admittedly this isn't
supported in any C implementation I know of, but IMHO it'd be nice.
--
Ceri Storey <cez@necrofish.org.uk>

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-05  9:22   ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2003-03-05  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Shawn Wagner

@ 2003-03-04 23:51 ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2003-03-04 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:29:41AM -0500, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
> Any ideas if/when ipv6 support will make it into the Unix module?  I
> know that there is a patch for the compiler that provides this
> functionality, but for obvious reasons it would be more convenient to
> have it in the standard distribution.

I did a lot of work on this a while back, but got bogged down with other
things. I think all that's left in what I was working on is adding
getaddrinfo and getnameinfo support. I might blow the dust off in it in a
bit, but it'll be a while, as I'm very busy with other things, and when it
comes to ocaml stuff, another ocaml-mysql release has priority. That should,
free time permitting, happen next week. Then I can hopefully dig out the
ipv6 stuff.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ipv6
@ 2003-03-04 13:07 ` Francis Dupont
From: Francis Dupont @ 2003-03-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: Caml List

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Any ideas if/when ipv6 support will make it into the Unix module?  I
   know that there is a patch for the compiler that provides this
   functionality, but for obvious reasons it would be more convenient to
   have it in the standard distribution.

=> I support this idea.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr