* [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 10:44 Johann Spies
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Johann Spies @ 2002-02-22 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

There is no Debian package for pcre so I compiled one in
/usr/local/src and installed it to /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre.

The compilation went without a problem after I removed the comment to
use STATIC=1 in the Makefile.  I also copied  META to the installation
directory.

Now when  try to use it in the toplevel the following happens:
-------------------------------------
$ ledit ocaml
        Objective Caml version 3.04

# #use "ocamlfind";;
Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
  #require "package";;      to load a package
  #list;;                   to list the available packages
  #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
  #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
  Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded

- : unit = ()
# #require "pcre";;
The external function `pcre_exec_wrapper_bc' is not available
# #list;;
[I removed the other lines:]
pcre                (version: 4.18-2)

# let s = "Dit lyk nou so";;
- : string = "Dit lyk nou so"
# let ss =Pcre.split s;;
Reference to undefined global `Pcre'

Any remedy?  I could use an older version of pcre in the same way.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD make his
      face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee; The
      LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee
      peace."              Numbers 6:24-26

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 11:30 ` Remi VANICAT
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2002-02-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:

> There is no Debian package for pcre so I compiled one in
> /usr/local/src and installed it to /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre.
>
> The compilation went without a problem after I removed the comment to
> use STATIC=1 in the Makefile.  I also copied  META to the installation
> directory.
>
> Now when  try to use it in the toplevel the following happens:
> -------------------------------------
> $ ledit ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.04
>
> # #use "ocamlfind";;
> Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
>   #require "package";;      to load a package
>   #list;;                   to list the available packages
>   #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
>   #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
>   Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
>
> - : unit = ()
> # #require "pcre";;
> The external function `pcre_exec_wrapper_bc' is not available

Which ocaml debian package are your using ? if you are using 3.04-9
(from unstable, only in incoming the last time I check)

the you have to make (as root)
ocaml-ldconf -a /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/

to add the dll support for pcre. (this will work only in there is
a *.so file in the /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/ directory.)

if there is no *.so, you will have to make a custom toplevel (with
ocamlmktop, I believe that findlib have some support for it).

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 12:59 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2002-02-22 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:44:52PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> # #use "ocamlfind";;
> Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
>   #require "package";;      to load a package

IIRC, '#use "ocamlfind"' toplevel directive is used to load the
definitions needed for _findlib_ package, so if pcre doesn't support the
findlib META system #require will not work with that library.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 14:08   ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2002-02-22 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:30:38PM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:

> Which ocaml debian package are your using ? if you are using 3.04-9

Yes I am using 3.04-9.

> the you have to make (as root)
> ocaml-ldconf -a /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/
>
> to add the dll support for pcre. (this will work only in there is
> a *.so file in the /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/ directory.)

:(  There is no .so file.  I could not compile it with dynamic
linking.  Why?

> if there is no *.so, you will have to make a custom toplevel (with
> ocamlmktop, I believe that findlib have some support for it).

This is bad news.

Johann.
--

@ 2002-02-22 14:48 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-02-22 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: OCAML

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Johann Spies wrote:
> The compilation went without a problem after I removed the comment to
> use STATIC=1 in the Makefile.  I also copied  META to the installation
> directory.

What is the particular problem that prevents you from compiling the PCRE
as a shared library?

> Now when  try to use it in the toplevel the following happens:
> -------------------------------------
> $ ledit ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.04
[snip]
> # #require "pcre";;
> The external function `pcre_exec_wrapper_bc' is not available

This is quite natural: since you haven't compiled the PCRE as a shared
library, the toplevel assumes that every object it needs for it is already
linked statically. This, however, is not the case: you'll have to create
a new toplevel and link it with the PCRE-library then.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 14:57     ` Remi VANICAT
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2002-02-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:30:38PM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:
>
> > Which ocaml debian package are your using ? if you are using 3.04-9
>
> Yes I am using 3.04-9.
>
> > the you have to make (as root)
> > ocaml-ldconf -a /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/
> >
> > to add the dll support for pcre. (this will work only in there is
> > a *.so file in the /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre/ directory.)
>
> :(  There is no .so file.  I could not compile it with dynamic
> linking.  Why?

the distribution of pcre include it's own pcre. You should use the one
installed by debian.

I successfully build ocaml-pcre on debian with shared suport by
- installing the libpcre3-dev package
- modifying one of the pcre-OCaml/Makefile :
replacing

shared:	byte-code-nolink native-code-nolink
	ocamlmklib -o pcre pcre.cmo pcre.cmx pcre_intf.o \
		-L../pcre-C/.libs -lpcre -rpath $(OCAML_LIB_INSTALL)
	cp ../pcre-C/.libs/libpcre.a .
	ar r libpcre.a pcre_intf.o
	ranlib libpcre.a

by

shared:	byte-code-nolink native-code-nolink
	ocamlmklib -o pcre pcre.cmo pcre.cmx pcre_intf.o \
		-lpcre -rpath $(OCAML_LIB_INSTALL)

it compile. By the way the pcre library in debian is not the same than
the pcre-C in pcre-ocaml, so there may be problems, and I have do no
further test.

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-22 16:01 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2002-02-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Johann Spies wrote:

> There is no Debian package for pcre so I compiled one in
> /usr/local/src and installed it to /usr/local/lib/ocaml/pcre.
>
> The compilation went without a problem after I removed the comment to
> use STATIC=1 in the Makefile.  I also copied  META to the installation
> directory.

If you want to use pcre as a dll, you have to build it as a dll. So you
have to investigate why the Makefile failed to build the dll ...

What is your platform / C compiler ?  OCamlMakefile uses by default cc as
the C compiler, and passes -fPIC to it. On Solaris, cc does not recognizes
this option, and I had to tell OCamlMakefile to use gcc instead. Maybe you
can try to do the same ...

Usually, I use ocamlc as a front-end to the C compiler; it seems natural
to compile C files (that have to be interfaced with OCaml) with the
compiler ocamlrun was built from. Is there any reason not to do it ?

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 16:03   ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2002-02-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:48:39PM +0100, Markus Mottl wrote:

> What is the particular problem that prevents you from compiling the PCRE
> as a shared library?

A series of messages like this:
ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma
-o cloc \                        cloc.cmo
Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared
object fi$make[2]: *** [cloc] Error 2
------------------------------------

Regards.

Johann
--

@ 2002-02-22 16:08       ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-02-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remi VANICAT; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Remi VANICAT wrote:
> By the way the pcre library in debian is not the same than the pcre-C
> in pcre-ocaml, so there may be problems, and I have do no further test.

There shouldn't be any problems concerning the interface to OCaml as long
as you use a C-library with a version > 3.  Though, if you don't use the
latest release, there may be bugs or even missing pattern features in it.

Note that you can also install the C-library shipped with pcre-OCaml
under "pcre-C" alone: it's a verbatim copy of Phil Hazel's original
distribution. If Debian's paranoid upgrade policy drives you mad, you
might consider "manual" installation.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--

@ 2002-02-22 16:17     ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2002-02-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: OCAML

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Johann Spies wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:48:39PM +0100, Markus Mottl wrote:
>
> > What is the particular problem that prevents you from compiling the PCRE
> > as a shared library?
>
> A series of messages like this:
> ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma
> -o cloc \                        cloc.cmo
> Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared
> object fi$make[2]: *** [cloc] Error 2
> ------------------------------------

This error appears when building test/example applications and it
indicates that the dll has not been successfully built; don't you have any
error message beforehand ?  Again: what is the architecture, C compiler ?
Are dll supported by your OCaml installation ?

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 16:26     ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-02-22 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: OCAML

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:48:39PM +0100, Markus Mottl wrote:
> > What is the particular problem that prevents you from compiling the PCRE
> > as a shared library?
>
> A series of messages like this:
> ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma
> -o cloc \                        cloc.cmo
> Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared
> object fi$make[2]: *** [cloc] Error 2
> ------------------------------------

This is a known issue. The latest release contains information about
it in the INSTALL-file.  In short, you'll have to install the library
before the examples can be compiled _unless_ you already have a libpcre.so
installed in some place where the loader can find it (e.g. either in a
place like /usr/lib or in some directory that is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

I know this is really inconvenient, but I don't know how to solve this
issue without adding further search paths for dynamic libraries with
-rpath to the PCRE-library. A bit overkill just for the examples...

Just do a "make install" and compile the examples again. This should work.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--

@ 2002-02-22 16:27       ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2002-02-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 05:17:23PM +0100, Alain Frisch wrote:

> This error appears when building test/example applications and it
> indicates that the dll has not been successfully built; don't you have any
> error message beforehand ?  Again: what is the architecture, C compiler ?
> Are dll supported by your OCaml installation ?

I suppose so.  It is the standard Debian installation.

Architecture :

bash-2.05a$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 334.095

bash-2.05a$ gcc --version
2.95.4

I have attached the full output of make and the Makefile.

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD make his
      face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee; The
      LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee
      peace."              Numbers 6:24-26

[-- Attachment #2: fout --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 10724 bytes --]

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for bcopy... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo...
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating pcre.h
config.status: creating pcre-config
config.status: creating RunTest
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-C'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.  ./maketables.c
mkdir .libs
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./maketables.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o maketables.o
mv -f maketables.o .libs/maketables.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./maketables.c -o maketables.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/maketables.lo maketables.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.  ./get.c
rm -f .libs/get.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./get.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o get.o
mv -f get.o .libs/get.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./get.c -o get.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/get.lo get.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.   ./study.c
rm -f .libs/study.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./study.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o study.o
mv -f study.o .libs/study.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./study.c -o study.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/study.lo study.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -o dftables -g -O2 ./dftables.c
gcc -o dftables -g -O2 ./dftables.c
./dftables >./chartables.c
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.   ./pcre.c
rm -f .libs/pcre.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcre.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o pcre.o
mv -f pcre.o .libs/pcre.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcre.c -o pcre.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/pcre.lo pcre.lo
rm -f libpcre.la
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info \
	'0:1:0' -o libpcre.la maketables.lo get.lo study.lo pcre.lo
rm -fr .libs/libpcre.la .libs/libpcre.* .libs/libpcre.*
gcc -shared  maketables.lo get.lo study.lo pcre.lo   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libpcre.so.0 -o .libs/libpcre.so.0.0.1
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcre.so.0 && ln -s libpcre.so.0.0.1 libpcre.so.0)
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcre.so && ln -s libpcre.so.0.0.1 libpcre.so)
ar cru .libs/libpcre.a  maketables.o get.o study.o pcre.o
ranlib .libs/libpcre.a
creating libpcre.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcre.la && ln -s ../libpcre.la libpcre.la)
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.  ./pcreposix.c
rm -f .libs/pcreposix.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcreposix.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o pcreposix.o
mv -f pcreposix.o .libs/pcreposix.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcreposix.c -o pcreposix.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/pcreposix.lo pcreposix.lo
rm -f libpcreposix.la
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info \
	'0:0:0' -o libpcreposix.la pcreposix.lo
rm -fr .libs/libpcreposix.la .libs/libpcreposix.* .libs/libpcreposix.*
gcc -shared  pcreposix.lo   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libpcreposix.so.0 -o .libs/libpcreposix.so.0.0.0
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcreposix.so.0 && ln -s libpcreposix.so.0.0.0 libpcreposix.so.0)
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcreposix.so && ln -s libpcreposix.so.0.0.0 libpcreposix.so)
ar cru .libs/libpcreposix.a  pcreposix.o
ranlib .libs/libpcreposix.a
creating libpcreposix.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libpcreposix.la && ln -s ../libpcreposix.la libpcreposix.la)
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.   ./pcretest.c
rm -f .libs/pcretest.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcretest.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o pcretest.o
mv -f pcretest.o .libs/pcretest.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. ./pcretest.c -o pcretest.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/pcretest.lo pcretest.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -o pcretest pcretest.o \
	libpcre.la libpcreposix.la
gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/pcretest pcretest.o  ./.libs/libpcre.so ./.libs/libpcreposix.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
creating pcretest
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -c -g -O2 -I.   -DIS_UNIX ./pcregrep.c
rm -f .libs/pcregrep.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. -DIS_UNIX ./pcregrep.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o pcregrep.o
mv -f pcregrep.o .libs/pcregrep.lo
gcc -c -g -O2 -I. -DIS_UNIX ./pcregrep.c -o pcregrep.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/pcregrep.lo pcregrep.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o pcregrep pcregrep.o libpcre.la
gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/pcregrep pcregrep.o  ./.libs/libpcre.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
creating pcregrep
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-C'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
making ._bcdi/pcre.di from pcre.mli
making ._d/pcre.d from pcre.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
ocamlc -c pcre.mli
ocamlc -c pcre.ml
cc -c -O2 -fPIC -DPIC -I../pcre-C    -I/usr/lib/ocaml \
			pcre_intf.c -o pcre_intf.o
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
making ._ncdi/pcre.di from pcre.mli
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
ocamlopt -c pcre.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
ocamlmklib -o pcre pcre.cmo pcre.cmx pcre_intf.o \
	-L../pcre-C/.libs -lpcre -rpath /usr/lib/ocaml/contrib
cp ../pcre-C/.libs/libpcre.a .
ar r libpcre.a pcre_intf.o
ranlib libpcre.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
making ._d/cloc.d from cloc.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
ocamlc -c -I ../../pcre-OCaml cloc.ml
ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma   -o cloc \
			cloc.cmo
Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [cloc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
make[1]: *** [byte-code] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/cloc'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
making ._d/count_hash.d from count_hash.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
ocamlc -c -I ../../pcre-OCaml count_hash.ml
ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma   -o count_hash \
			count_hash.cmo
Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [count_hash] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
make[1]: *** [byte-code] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/count_hash'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
making ._d/pcregrep.d from pcregrep.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
ocamlc -c -I ../../pcre-OCaml pcregrep.ml
ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma   -o pcregrep \
			pcregrep.cmo
Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [pcregrep] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
make[1]: *** [byte-code] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/pcregrep'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
making ._d/subst.d from subst.ml
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
ocamlc -c -I ../../pcre-OCaml subst.ml
ocamlc  -I ../../pcre-OCaml      -ccopt -L../../pcre-OCaml  pcre.cma   -o subst \
			subst.cmo
Error on dynamically loaded library: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [subst] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
make[1]: *** [byte-code] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/examples/subst'
make: *** [examples] Error 2

[-- Attachment #3: Makefile --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1048 bytes --]

#STATIC = 1
export STATIC

EXAMPLES = $(filter-out examples/CVS, $(wildcard examples/*))

all:	examples

.PHONY:	opt
opt:	pcre-OCaml/libpcre.a
	@for dir in $(EXAMPLES); do (cd $$dir && $(MAKE) nc); done

.PHONY:	examples
examples: pcre-OCaml/libpcre.a
	@for dir in $(EXAMPLES); do (cd $$dir && $(MAKE)); done

pcre-OCaml/libpcre.a: pcre-C/.libs/libpcre.a
	@cd pcre-OCaml && $(MAKE)

pcre-C/.libs/libpcre.a:
	@cd pcre-C && \
	  if [ $(STATIC) ]; then \
	    ./configure --disable-shared && $(MAKE); \
	  else \
	    ./configure && $(MAKE); \
	  fi

.PHONY:	doc
doc:
	@cd pcre-OCaml && $(MAKE) doc
	ln -sf pcre-OCaml/doc

.PHONY:	install
install: pcre-OCaml/libpcre.a
	@cd pcre-OCaml && $(MAKE) && $(MAKE) install

.PHONY:	uninstall
uninstall:
	@cd pcre-OCaml && $(MAKE) uninstall

.PHONY:	clean
clean:
	@cd pcre-C && $(MAKE) clean && rm -f dftables chartables.c
	@cd pcre-OCaml && $(MAKE) clean
	@for dir in $(EXAMPLES); do (cd $$dir && $(MAKE) clean); done

.PHONY:	distclean
distclean:	clean
	@cd pcre-C && $(MAKE) $@ && rm -f RunTest
	@rm -f doc

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-22 21:14         ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-02-22 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies; +Cc: OCAML

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Johann Spies wrote:
[...]
> ocamlmklib -o pcre pcre.cmo pcre.cmx pcre_intf.o \
> 	-L../pcre-C/.libs -lpcre -rpath /usr/lib/ocaml/contrib
> cp ../pcre-C/.libs/libpcre.a .
> ar r libpcre.a pcre_intf.o
> ranlib libpcre.a
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pcre_ocaml-4.20-0/pcre-OCaml'

As you can see, the library is correctly built. It's just the examples
that cannot (yet) be compiled, because the library is not yet installed
("make install").

I'll consider changing the compilation/installation procedure so that
the examples are not automatically compiled.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--

@ 2002-02-24 17:30           ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-02-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johann Spies, OCAML

> As you can see, the library is correctly built. It's just the examples
> that cannot (yet) be compiled, because the library is not yet installed
> ("make install").
>
> I'll consider changing the compilation/installation procedure so that
> the examples are not automatically compiled.

An alternative is to compile the examples with the option -dllpath to
record the location of the (not yet installed) shared library in the
bytecode executables for the examples.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem using pcre on Debian
@ 2002-02-24 20:44             ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-02-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Johann Spies, OCAML

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> An alternative is to compile the examples with the option -dllpath to
> record the location of the (not yet installed) shared library in the
> bytecode executables for the examples.

Yes, I should have considered this possibility earlier. I'll do this.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--

@ 2002-02-26 12:06               ` Johann Spies
From: Johann Spies @ 2002-02-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML; +Cc: Xavier Leroy

Thank you to all who responded.  Doing a "make install" and then
"make" again solved the problem.

Regards.

Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while
      we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
                                   Romans 5:8