categories - Category Theory list
* Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-23 12:10 Paul Taylor
From: Paul Taylor @ 2024-03-23 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Obituaries of colleagues are always sad, but they become
shocking when they are for friends of exactly one's own age.

Marek was a friend, not really a collaborator, of mine.

I first met him at the Cambridge CT conference in 1986,
when we were each finishing our PhD theses.

He helped organise three of my four visits to Poland and
was an excellent host to me and my partner.  On one visit
he helped to return my spectacles to me in London,  after
I had dropped them in a town in the far NE of the country!

My first visit was in 1993, not long after the fall of
Communism.  Warsaw had been flattened by the Nazis and
was now dominated by the Palace of Culture and Science,
a "gift" from Joseph Stalin.   It was said that the best
thing about being in it was that then you could no longer
see the Palace of Culture.

By my second visit, in 2013, numerous "capitalist"
skyscrapers had sprouted up in central Warsaw, so
I asked Marek what he thought of them.

He replied, "which do you prefer, Typhoid, or Cholera?"

It is that dry sense of humour that I will always remember.

After the elections in November I asked him what he
thought and he gave a typically cynical response.
I was hoping to get a more detailed opinion once
Donald Tusk had finally got his feet under the prime
minister's desk.  Now I will not hear what Marek thought.

I know his family has deep roots in Warsaw and his uncle
died in the Uprising against the Nazis (watched by the
Red Army from across the river).  Poland is now restoring
Democracy for the fourth time.  I am very sorry that
my friend Marek will not get to see that flourish.

My commiserations to his partner Justyna, his two sons,
his family and his colleagues.

Sorry for he late reply: I was on holiday in S America.

Paul Taylor.

* Re: Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-08 19:17           ` George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2024-03-08 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Janelidze George

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I would like to repeat all good words said about Marek and, as I am sure many of you would, add my own good words... But how could such a tragedy happen? I had a friendly exchange of several messages with Marek during February 20-24, and there was no sign that he is not well (actually we agreed to do something that would take several months...).

George

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-07  8:51         ` Robin Cockett
From: Robin Cockett @ 2024-03-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tadeusz Litak, categories

I stand corrected and I certainly apologize if I caused offence ... my "dates" may well be as wrong as my "facts".  This was a shocked reaction to the news and just my very impressionistic memories of my visit to Poland, what was happening at that time, and how I first met Marek!

The "Polish People's republic" was, absolutely, an independent state (using zloti)!  It was – from the west's perspective – "behind the iron curtain" but, oh dear, not Soviet.  Most likely,  I simply mixed up Solidarity being outlawed with Lech Welesa being in prison (oh dear!).

Thank you for correcting me. While not being so happy about my insensitive blunders ... you also pointed out more brutally what repression could mean in Poland at that time.  I just wished for it not to be forgotten what a different world that was -- hopefully not to be repeated -- and yet, also, how out of that world grew Marek with his smile.

-robin

________________________________
From: Tadeusz Litak @ 2024-03-07  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Cockett, Karol Szumiło, categories

> [...]

> At the end of the meeting I still had a huge amount of zloti so Marek took me shopping.   This was an interesting experience as it consisted of joining queues to find out what they were queuing for!  Needless to say I could not spend all my zloti so I ended up giving them to Marek.   I learned that university staff were not really paid a living wage so these perks (and visiting positions in the US -- often brokered by Helena) were essential.
>
> I was always delighted to see Marek at (Category Theory) conferences and will greatly miss him.

* Re: Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-07  0:09     ` Robin Cockett
From: Robin Cockett @ 2024-03-07  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Szumiło, categories

Let me add my condolences and shock to hear of Marek's death.

I first met Marek in about 1986 -- I think he was a student in Warsaw at the time. I had been invited to talk at the Banach Center by Helena Rasiowa -- my connection to the formidable Helena was actually through her son Zbigniew Ras.  Helena led an effort to keep Polish mathematicians and computer scientists in touch with their western counterparts despite being part of the soviet union ... often through invitations to the Banach Center.

Needless to say I was very excited to travel behind the iron curtain.  Helena had appointed a "chaperone" for me: being rather ignorant I assumed it might be a member of the communist party and a requirement for visitors.  It was, however, Marek!  Not at all communist! Helena knew I was interested in category theory and had paired me accordingly.

At that time it was usual to get some local currency of the country before you travelled there:  I recall going to the bank (in the US) and being told that there was "no exchange rate" for zloti.   So when I arrived at the airport in Warsaw I naively had first in mind to get zloti.  There was a booth to exchange  money so I exchanged some dollars and got what I thought must be a very generous exchange rate.   Marek met me at the gate and the first thing he said was "I hope you did not exchange any money! They give a terrible exchange rate!"  ...  I instantly knew that I could trust Marek!

In fact, the Banach institute gave me a generous stipend in zloti and there was no need to exchange any money.

Marek was an excellent host and introduced me to a Warsaw ... still behind the iron curtain.  Lech Welesa was in prison at that time. The first experience of Soviet life (in  winter) was to discover that the communal hot water did not work as pipes from the power station had burst (actually no one said what happened or even would admit that the system had broken).   I recall Helena -- the realist -- making arrangements so that participants could have a bath in another quarter of the city.

@ 2024-03-06 21:11     ` Chris Kapulkin
From: Chris Kapulkin @ 2024-03-06 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joyal, André, Karol Szumiło, categories; +Cc: Gonzalo Reyes

Attached is a picture I took during the reception mentioned by André.
First on the left, you can see Marek with his unmistakable smile.

Best,
Chris

On 2024-03-06 11:52 a.m., Joyal, André wrote:
> Dear Karol,
>
> I am shocked to learn that Marek Zawadowski has passed away.
> I wish to express my condolances to all, especially to you Karol,
> to Justyna Grudzinska and to Krzysztof Kapulkin.
>
>   Marek was a very talented mathematician, a great teacher and a very
> kind person.
> He received is Phd from the University of Montreal in 1989 under the
> direction of Gonzalo Reyes.
> He mostly worked in mathematical logic, category theory and higher
> category theory,
> He contributed to the rebirth of the great Polish school of mathematics.
> He was passionate about the philosophical and social impact of mathematics.
> I will always remember the reception he held with his father in Warsaw
> during
> the celebration of Eilenberg's centenary in 2013.
> His father remembered the brutality of WWII.
> I wish to his express my condolances to Marek's family.
>
> André Joyal

[-- Attachment #2: P1180135.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2447097 bytes --]

* Re: Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-06 16:52   ` Joyal, André

View group files<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/E55TCWLVn6i7vJOyt6SN2_?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/wwE8CXLW6Div3w2MTVAEbi?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/jHGOCYW86EsRPrM6c9h2c3?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Marek Zawadowski
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-03-06  7:36 ` Richard Blute
From: Richard Blute @ 2024-03-06  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryszard Paweł Kostecki, categories

I’m so sad to hear this. Many years ago, Marek and I shared an office as postdocs at McGill. He was always a kind and decent soul, always willing to talk to any student who wanted his advice. I saw him again recently for the first time in many years, and it was like we were still postdocs sharing an office.

From: Ryszard Paweł Kostecki <Ryszard.Kostecki@fuw.edu.pl>
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 at 12:16 PM
To: categories@mq.edu.au <categories@mq.edu.au>
Subject: Marek Zawadowski
Attention : courriel externe | external email
With a great sadness and a feeling of a heartbreaking premature loss I
let the categorical community know that Marek Zawadowski has passed away
on Sunday, 3 March 2024.

The funeral will take place in Warszawa, on Monday, 11 March 2024.
(More detailed information is available here:
https://klepsydry.kupamieci.pl/powiadomienie/DBTQMS)<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2eRpC4QO8xSNGMWQIOlqTH?domain=klepsydry.kupamieci.pl>.

I will miss very much his kind presence, sense of humour, and approach
to many things -- in research, and in life. And I will always remain
grateful for his mentorship, which has opened my mind to mathematics.

Here is a photo of Marek from 87th PSSL at Patras (in April 2008):
https://www.fuw.edu.pl/~kostecki/photos/_cqg/marek.jpg<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/SB2hC5QP8ySmO5KQFOayrC?domain=fuw.edu.pl>
and a photo of him, walking the path with André Joyal:
https://www.fuw.edu.pl/~kostecki/photos/_cqg/marek_andre.jpg<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/LSBdC6XQ68f2xj9AsmLD_4?domain=fuw.edu.pl>

Ryszard Kostecki

@ 2024-03-06  7:21 ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2024-03-06  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Colleagues

The loss of Marek comes as a real shock to me.
I emailed him recently asking whether he would referee a paper.
He told me he was undergoing treatment but could begin a report
after June. I said I would ask other people and, if I had no suitable
report by June, I would take up his offer. He confirmed that he
was happy with that on 27 February.

I agree with all the comments about Marek's pleasant nature
and I respect his great contribution to mathematics.

Please if you can, Ryszard, convey my sincere condolences to Marek's family.

Ross

@ 2024-03-06  6:20 ` Karol Szumiło
From: Karol Szumiło @ 2024-03-06  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[...]

@ 2024-03-06  2:29 ` Chris Kapulkin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Kapulkin @ 2024-03-06  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

I was absolutely devastated to learn about Marek's passing two days ago.
I benefited immensely from his kindness, patience, and generosity,
certainly more than would be my fair share. He has been a profound
influence in my life, having shaped both who I am as a mathematician and
as a person. I looked up to him for guidance on how to be a good
researcher, an engaging teacher, and a generous supervisor.

As any of the thousands of students he taught would tell you, Marek's
signature was his real life analogies for even the most abstract
mathematical concepts, many of which I have since adopted in my
teaching. In a first year introduction to proofs course, he would
explain how the operation of taking the image preserves unions because
it has a "right friend." He was always funny in what seemed to be an
effortless way.

Although our mathematical paths diverged in recent years, we stayed in
touch and he would invite me over whenever I was able to visit Europe.
The two of us would spend hours in his apartment in Warsaw discussing
pretty much any imaginable topic from the historical development of
categorical logic to Canadian politics (which, as I learned from him, is
far more interesting than it seems!).

Marek's premature death is a great loss: of an outstanding mathematician
and simply a force for good in the world. He will be missed.

Best,
Chris

On 2024-03-05 7:57 p.m., Ryszard Paweł Kostecki wrote:
> With a great sadness and a feeling of a heartbreaking premature loss I
> let the categorical community know that Marek Zawadowski has passed away
> on Sunday, 3 March 2024.
>
> The funeral will take place in Warszawa, on Monday, 11 March 2024.
> (More detailed information is available here:
> https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/fVcnCP7L1NfYqQYJTzZxO5?domain=klepsydry.kupamieci.pl)
> <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/qS0rCQnM1WfGm7GJsP5TmU?domain=klepsydry.kupamieci.pl>.
>
> I will miss very much his kind presence, sense of humour, and approach
> to many things -- in research, and in life. And I will always remain
> grateful for his mentorship, which has opened my mind to mathematics.
>
> Here is a photo of Marek from 87th PSSL at Patras (in April 2008):
> https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2R_5CRONg6s98N9yuP3bIV?domain=fuw.edu.pl
> <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2R_5CRONg6s98N9yuP3bIV?domain=fuw.edu.pl>
> and a photo of him, walking the path with André Joyal:
> https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/LCAtCVARmOHr1MrzTJeNBT?domain=fuw.edu.pl
> <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/LCAtCVARmOHr1MrzTJeNBT?domain=fuw.edu.pl>
>
> Ryszard Kostecki
>
> You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories
> mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this
> conversation, reply all to this message.
> View group files
> <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/SslKCWLVn6i7v07Ncmxgdm?domain=outlook.office365.com>   | Leave group <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2zubCXLW6Div3mvkc9iH2b?domain=outlook.office365.com>   | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups <https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/ocXHCYW86EsRP5RjI3YI9n?domain=aka.ms>

* Marek Zawadowski
@ 2024-03-06  0:57 Ryszard Paweł Kostecki
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ryszard Paweł Kostecki @ 2024-03-06  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)