Computer Old Farts Forum
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
@ 2021-01-18 20:16 clemc
  2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: clemc @ 2021-01-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)


>
> When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked coworkers who have complained
> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
> wife doesn't want me to."
>
Moved to COFF ... while bearded UNIX folks do seem to be a common thread, I
think we are stretching Warren's patience a tad.   So ... I have sort of a
different story.

I had shaved in off and on during college and in the first few years I was
working but had grown it back before grad school.  I still was not sure I
liked having it, and as I got close to finishing, I mentioned to my
officemates at UCB that I'd shave it when Newton (our advisor) signed my
thesis as a signal to everyone I was done.

So the day I came into the office clean-shaven, Peter Moore looks up and
remarked, 'now I know why you wore one.'

So, I showed up at Masscomp without it and was quickly ostracized as so
many of the SW team had some sort of facial hair, I quickly grew it back.

Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
younger if I shaved it.  But at this point, I kinda like not having to
shave my neck and lower chin every day if I don't want to; so I have
ignored them.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/coff/attachments/20210118/1b090a74/attachment.htm>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
  2021-01-18 20:16 [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS) clemc
@ 2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
  2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
  2021-01-19  2:35 ` robert
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: crossd @ 2021-01-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
>> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked coworkers who have complained
>> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
>> wife doesn't want me to."
>>
> Moved to COFF ... while bearded UNIX folks do seem to be a common thread,
> I think we are stretching Warren's patience a tad.   So ... I have sort
> of a different story.
>
> I had shaved in off and on during college and in the first few years I was
> working but had grown it back before grad school.  I still was not sure I
> liked having it, and as I got close to finishing, I mentioned to my
> officemates at UCB that I'd shave it when Newton (our advisor) signed my
> thesis as a signal to everyone I was done.
>
> So the day I came into the office clean-shaven, Peter Moore looks up and
> remarked, 'now I know why you wore one.'
>
> So, I showed up at Masscomp without it and was quickly ostracized as so
> many of the SW team had some sort of facial hair, I quickly grew it back.
>
> Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
> summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
> Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.
>

When I was in the Marine Corps I shaved nearly every day (the exceptions
were extended leaves back home or occasional extra-long missions in
Afghanistan when we were outside the wire). I once tried the
permitted-but-frowned-upon "low regulation" haircut and didn't like it. I
usually opted for the Navy standard "high regulation" haircut instead of
the super-motivated USMC "high and tight", which I always thought looked
goofy, and is the haircut they give you right before you graduate from boot
camp.

When I got out, I luxuriated in not shaving for weeks at a time because I
could and, frankly, no one would yell at me. When my kids were born, it
became a nuisance I would attend to as time permitted. When my youngest was
born, I was in the habit of shaving biweekly, if that. One time I let it
grow for a couple of months and then abruptly shaved at night; I remember
being nervous that she would not recognize me in the morning, but she saw
that I was clean shaven and actually gave me a big smile and seemed rather
delighted. I was secretly relieved.

That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
> younger if I shaved it.  But at this point, I kinda like not having to
> shave my neck and lower chin every day if I don't want to; so I have
> ignored them.
>

I still alternate between clean-shaven and not; mostly I prefer
clean-shaven because otherwise I tend to get bumps and generally find it
uncomfortable. At one point when I was young I had hair down to my
shoulders but honestly, I just can't pull off long hair anymore: I keep a
relatively short haircut. I haven't seen the inside of a barber shop since
the start of the pandemic, but I've shaved my head multiple times as I'm
reasonably certain I can do that without completely messing it up, and I
have clippers that will go down to the scalp. It grows back pretty quickly,
so I only look like a conehead for a couple of days; as we used to say in
the Corps, the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is a
week.

        - Dan C.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/coff/attachments/20210118/2f6e88ad/attachment.htm>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
  2021-01-18 20:16 [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS) clemc
  2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
@ 2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
  2021-01-19  2:03   ` cym224
  2021-01-19  2:35 ` robert
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: grog @ 2021-01-19  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:16:22 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
>
> That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
> younger if I shaved it.

Don't believe them.

At linux.conf.au in Dunedin in 2006, Rusty Russell started a
fundraiser for the John Lions chair of computer science at UNSW.  By
way of encouragement, he stated that if there were enough
contributions, he would shave off his moustache.  A number of us
joined in (David Miller, Jeff Waugh and myself, but explicitly not Jon
Hall), and he ended up raising $10,000.  So the next day we were
shaved.  I was horrified: suddenly I looked like the old man that I
was.  The beard had greyed over the years, but it had hidden the
change in my face.  I let the beard grow again, and haven't seen my
chin since.

More at http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jan2006.php#27

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key.
See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 163 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/coff/attachments/20210119/d3573146/attachment.sig>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
  2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
@ 2021-01-19  2:03   ` cym224
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: cym224 @ 2021-01-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)


On 01/18/21 20:32, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote (in part):
> On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:16:22 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
>> That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look 
>> younger if I shaved it. 
> Don't believe them.
A colleague of mine has a baby-face.  As a grad student, he wore a beard 
to make himself look older.  Years afterwards, he shaved it off to make 
himself look younger.

N.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
  2021-01-18 20:16 [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS) clemc
  2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
  2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
@ 2021-01-19  2:35 ` robert
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: robert @ 2021-01-19  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)


On Mon, 18 Jan 2021, Clem Cole wrote:

> Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
> summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
> Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

When my daughter was about 2 and a half I shaved off a beard I'd had for a 
while.  She made it clear she was displeased and asked me what happened. 
I told her I'd shaved my beard off.  She immediately exclaimed "Shave it 
back on again!"

Rob


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-19  2:35 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-01-18 20:16 [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS) clemc
2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
2021-01-19  2:03   ` cym224
2021-01-19  2:35 ` robert

Computer Old Farts Forum

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/coff

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 coff coff/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/coff \
		coff@minnie.tuhs.org
	public-inbox-index coff

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.coff


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git