* Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-08-31 22:05 Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2006-08-31 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could somebody please add this to pgg.el?

Thanks,

                                        Juliusz

(defun pgg-discard-passphrase-cache ()
  (interactive)
  (setq passphrase-cache (make-vector 7 0)))

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01  4:47 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Could somebody please add this to pgg.el?

> Thanks,

>                                         Juliusz

> (defun pgg-discard-passphrase-cache ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq passphrase-cache (make-vector 7 0)))

According to the User-Agent: field, you seems to be using the CVS
version of Gnus.  If so, you can do that by M-x password-reset.

That aside, I would say pgg.el obsolete.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01  7:49   ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> > Could somebody please add this to pgg.el?

> > Thanks,

> >                                         Juliusz

> > (defun pgg-discard-passphrase-cache ()
> >   (interactive)
> >   (setq passphrase-cache (make-vector 7 0)))

> According to the User-Agent: field, you seems to be using the CVS
> version of Gnus.  If so, you can do that by M-x password-reset.

Sorry, I was not aware of that the gnus-version-number of Emacs CVS was
5.11.  However, I'm against adding such a new feature at this time.  It
will be unnecessary in the future, and the Emacs release is approaching.

@ 2006-09-01  8:59   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-01  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> writes:

>> Could somebody please add this to pgg.el?
>
>> Thanks,
>
>>                                         Juliusz
>
>> (defun pgg-discard-passphrase-cache ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (setq passphrase-cache (make-vector 7 0)))
>
> According to the User-Agent: field, you seems to be using the CVS
> version of Gnus.  If so, you can do that by M-x password-reset.
>
> That aside, I would say pgg.el obsolete.

What replaces pgg.el?

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01  9:04     ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> writes:

> > That aside, I would say pgg.el obsolete.

> What replaces pgg.el?

epg.el.  I'll request inclusion of it into Emacs, after the release.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01  9:16       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-01  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

>> Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> writes:
>
>> > That aside, I would say pgg.el obsolete.
>
>> What replaces pgg.el?
>
> epg.el.  I'll request inclusion of it into Emacs, after the release.

Does it fully supersede all of pgg.el's features?  Maybe we should
include it in Gnus CVS as a start?  I think users should never have to
install external packages to get the recommended PGP solution to work.

As for Gnus 5.11 aka Gnus in Emacs 21, I suspect PGG will be the
recommended solution, so we'll probably have to support it for some
years to come (it hasn't even been released yet).

/Simon

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01  9:34         ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Does it fully supersede all of pgg.el's features?

As of now it only lacks PGP 2.x/5.x support, but is it still needed?

> Maybe we should include it in Gnus CVS as a start?

Please do not!  There is no review process among Gnus developers and
someone might check his kludge in CVS without my permission.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63038

I don't want to repeat pgg.el mistake.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 10:04           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-01 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

>> Does it fully supersede all of pgg.el's features?
>
> As of now it only lacks PGP 2.x/5.x support, but is it still needed?

I'm not sure.  I don't care about it.  Anyone else?

Are there any advantages with epg.el over pgg.el?  S/MIME support
through gpgsm?

>> Maybe we should include it in Gnus CVS as a start?
>
> Please do not!  There is no review process among Gnus developers and
> someone might check his kludge in CVS without my permission.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63038
>
> I don't want to repeat pgg.el mistake.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to recommend an external package for
PGP support again.  Practically, that makes it more difficult to use
PGP with Gnus, which defeats the goal of supporting PGP.  What do
others think?

I'd really want whatever PGP package we use to either be part of Gnus
CVS or Emacs CVS.  Automatically copying the files into Gnus CVS from
epg.el's CVS would work fine, I think.  Would that be OK?  Then all
changes to epg.el has to go through you before they hit Gnus CVS.

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 10:20             ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> >> Does it fully supersede all of pgg.el's features?
> >
> > As of now it only lacks PGP 2.x/5.x support, but is it still needed?

> I'm not sure.  I don't care about it.  Anyone else?

> Are there any advantages with epg.el over pgg.el?  S/MIME support
> through gpgsm?

Yes, and other notable features,

- It provides a way to examine the verification result, which helps
  verify a message signed with multiple keys.

- It can ask a user which private key to be used for encryption/sign.

- It can handle PGP messages in the binary format as well as the
  ascii armor format.

- Dired integration.

- Transparent file encryption/decryption.

- Key signing.

> >> Maybe we should include it in Gnus CVS as a start?
> >
> > Please do not!  There is no review process among Gnus developers and
> > someone might check his kludge in CVS without my permission.
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63038
> >
> > I don't want to repeat pgg.el mistake.

> I'd really want whatever PGP package we use to either be part of Gnus
> CVS or Emacs CVS.  Automatically copying the files into Gnus CVS from
> epg.el's CVS would work fine, I think.  Would that be OK?  Then all
> changes to epg.el has to go through you before they hit Gnus CVS.

Since epg.el is a general purpose PGP library, I think it should be a
part of Emacs (not Gnus) from the beginning.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 10:32               ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-01 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

>> > As of now it only lacks PGP 2.x/5.x support, but is it still needed?
>
>> I'm not sure.  I don't care about it.  Anyone else?
>
>> Are there any advantages with epg.el over pgg.el?  S/MIME support
>> through gpgsm?
>
> Yes, and other notable features,
>
> - It provides a way to examine the verification result, which helps
>   verify a message signed with multiple keys.
>
> - It can ask a user which private key to be used for encryption/sign.
>
> - It can handle PGP messages in the binary format as well as the
>   ascii armor format.
>
> - Dired integration.
>
> - Transparent file encryption/decryption.
>
> - Key signing.

Ok, neat.

>> > Please do not!  There is no review process among Gnus developers and
>> > someone might check his kludge in CVS without my permission.
>> >
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63038
>> >
>> > I don't want to repeat pgg.el mistake.
>
>> I'd really want whatever PGP package we use to either be part of Gnus
>> CVS or Emacs CVS.  Automatically copying the files into Gnus CVS from
>> epg.el's CVS would work fine, I think.  Would that be OK?  Then all
>> changes to epg.el has to go through you before they hit Gnus CVS.
>
> Since epg.el is a general purpose PGP library, I think it should be a
> part of Emacs (not Gnus) from the beginning.

Makes sense.  That will probably help it end up in the proper Emacs
directory too, i.e., not in emacs/lisp/gnus/ where many
non-Gnus-specific packages correctly resides.

I think that for Emacs versions that doesn't have epg, Gnus should
continue to recommend PGG for the PGP implementation, because it comes
with both Emacs and Gnus.  EPG would continue to work as an option, of
course.  Perhaps Gnus should even default to epg, if it is available?
That may help in getting epg more widely tested.

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 10:36               ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2006-09-01 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

* Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org>:

Hi!

> Since epg.el is a general purpose PGP library, I think it should be a
> part of Emacs (not Gnus) from the beginning.

How would you support (S)XEmacs users?

Would you like to have it as a separate xemacs package (or part of an
existing one)?

Thanks,
norbert.

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 10:38             ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2006-09-01 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding, Simon Josefsson

 || On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:04:21 +0200
 || Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

 sj> I'm not sure it is a good idea to recommend an external package
 sj> for PGP support again.  Practically, that makes it more difficult
 sj> to use PGP with Gnus, which defeats the goal of supporting PGP.
 sj> What do others think?

I agree with this assessment.

That pgg.el no longer is the recommended way is surprising to me, and
indeed I'd never have found out if I hadn't been following this
discussion by pure chance.

So if epg.el replaced pgg.el, the former should be added to the
distribution, and the latter should be moved/renamed in a way that
makes it clear this is deprecated and may disappear in future
versions.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve@fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 (http://fsfeurope.org)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 306 bytes --]

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 12:14               ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-01 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daiki Ueno, Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve@fsfeurope.org> writes:

>  || On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:04:21 +0200
>  || Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:
>
>  sj> I'm not sure it is a good idea to recommend an external package
>  sj> for PGP support again.  Practically, that makes it more difficult
>  sj> to use PGP with Gnus, which defeats the goal of supporting PGP.
>  sj> What do others think?
>
> I agree with this assessment.
>
> That pgg.el no longer is the recommended way is surprising to me, and
> indeed I'd never have found out if I hadn't been following this
> discussion by pure chance.
>
> So if epg.el replaced pgg.el, the former should be added to the
> distribution

I agree.

> and the latter should be moved/renamed in a way that makes it
> clear this is deprecated and may disappear in future versions.

We are not very good at removing features in Gnus.  For example,
Mailcrypt and gpg.el are still supported as PGP backends...  We
haven't even labeled one of them as unsupported yet.  We probably
should.

I don't think we can reasonable mark PGG as obsolete until at least
Emacs 23 is released (I'm assuming Emacs 23 will be the first release
that ships with epg.el).

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 12:25                 ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2006-09-01 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

 || On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:14:18 +0200
 || Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

 >> and the latter should be moved/renamed in a way that makes it
 >> clear this is deprecated and may disappear in future versions.

 sj> We are not very good at removing features in Gnus.  For example,
 sj> Mailcrypt and gpg.el are still supported as PGP backends...  We
 sj> haven't even labeled one of them as unsupported yet.  We probably
 sj> should.

I think it would be good to provide some kind of:

  * This is what we recommend

  * This is what is now outdated

  * This is what will disappear

classification for users, which would make it much easier to figure
out what to use.

Side note: As a result of this thread, I now installed epa.el (it is
packaged in Debian as easypg, which makes it easy to install) and also
pgg-epa.el, which I'm now using.

As a result, I can now look at my own emails again that I sent out
encrypted. The downside is that the encrypted/signed buttons now do
not contain any more information from GnuPG and all signatures are
always listed as "failed".

Oh well, you can't have everything, I guess.

Regards,
Georg

--

@ 2006-09-01 13:51                   ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

> Side note: As a result of this thread, I now installed epa.el (it is
> packaged in Debian as easypg, which makes it easy to install) and also
> pgg-epa.el, which I'm now using.

> As a result, I can now look at my own emails again that I sent out
> encrypted. The downside is that the encrypted/signed buttons now do
> not contain any more information from GnuPG and all signatures are
> always listed as "failed".

It looks strange.  (setq epg-debug t) and could you send me the contents
of the " *epg-debug*" buffer (please notice that the first character is
SPC)?

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 14:15                     ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2006-09-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

 || On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:51:58 +0900
 || Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> wrote:

 du> It looks strange.  (setq epg-debug t) and could you send me the
 du> contents of the " *epg-debug*" buffer (please notice that the
 du> first character is SPC)?

I just tried this, with strange results.

When epg-debug is set, the " *epg-debug*" buffer is only created when
I look at my own encrypted emails. It is not created for encrypted
emails by others, and it is not created for signed emails by myself or
others.

So I sent you in private email the content of " *epg-debug*" when
looking at my own encrypted emails, as this is the only thing I can
supply.

When looking at signed emails, I have found a few cases in which it
seems to check the signature correctly. In others -- including my own
emails -- I see the "PGP Signed Part" button expand to:

[[PGP Signed Part:Failed]
(pgg-epg-lookup-key)]

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Georg

--

@ 2006-09-01 14:43                       ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

>  du> It looks strange.  (setq epg-debug t) and could you send me the
>  du> contents of the " *epg-debug*" buffer (please notice that the
>  du> first character is SPC)?

> I just tried this, with strange results.

> When epg-debug is set, the " *epg-debug*" buffer is only created when
> I look at my own encrypted emails. It is not created for encrypted
> emails by others, and it is not created for signed emails by myself or
> others.

> When looking at signed emails, I have found a few cases in which it
> seems to check the signature correctly. In others -- including my own
> emails -- I see the "PGP Signed Part" button expand to:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]
> (pgg-epg-lookup-key)]

Does the following change fix it?

diff -u -r1.24 pgg-epg.el
--- pgg-epg.el	28 Jul 2006 02:59:23 -0000	1.24
+++ pgg-epg.el	1 Sep 2006 14:35:31 -0000
@@ -265,6 +265,12 @@
 	       "From unknown user")))
     "From unknown user"))

+(defun pgg-epg-lookup-key (string &optional type)
+  "Search keys associated with STRING."
+  (mapcar (lambda (key)
+	    (epg-sub-key-id (car (epg-key-sub-key-list key))))
+	  (epg-list-keys (epg-make-context) string (not (null type)))))
+
 (provide 'pgg-epg)

 ;;; pgg-epg.el ends here

If so, I'm sorry that pgg-epg.el is not well maintained since Gnus CVS
has a native EPG binding and pgg-epg.el is not necessary with that
version.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-01 15:04                         ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2006-09-01 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

 || On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:43:55 +0900
 || Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> wrote:

 >> [[PGP Signed Part:Failed]
 >> (pgg-epg-lookup-key)]

 du> Does the following change fix it?

Yes, this looks much better, thank you.

 du> If so, I'm sorry that pgg-epg.el is not well maintained since
 du> Gnus CVS has a native EPG binding and pgg-epg.el is not necessary
 du> with that version.

In that case I think I'll try switching to the Gnus CVS version.

Is there anything that should be done to integrate epg into the CVS
version of gnus? I did not see much info on http://www.easypg.org or
http://www.gnus.org.

Regards,
Georg

--

@ 2006-09-01 17:10                         ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2006-09-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Georg C. F. Greve, Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> writes:

> If so, I'm sorry that pgg-epg.el is not well maintained since Gnus CVS
> has a native EPG binding and pgg-epg.el is not necessary with that
> version.

Could somebody please summarize what the right way is to use easypg
with current Gnus CVS - for me it required pgg-epg but perhaps I did
something wrong...

Thanks,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj/
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-02  1:48                           ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-02  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

>  du> If so, I'm sorry that pgg-epg.el is not well maintained since
>  du> Gnus CVS has a native EPG binding and pgg-epg.el is not necessary
>  du> with that version.

> In that case I think I'll try switching to the Gnus CVS version.

> Is there anything that should be done to integrate epg into the CVS
> version of gnus? I did not see much info on http://www.easypg.org or
> http://www.gnus.org.

(setq mml2015-use 'epg)

Other options which affect the EPG binding are

mml2015-signers
mml2015-encrypt-to-self
mml2015-cache-passphrase
mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry
mml2015-verbose

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

@ 2006-09-02  7:39       ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2006-09-02  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which means there'll still be no way to discard your passphrase in
Emacs 22?

                                        Juliusz

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-02 14:15                             ` Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2006-09-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek, ding

 || On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:48:24 +0900
 || Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org> wrote:

 >> Is there anything that should be done to integrate epg into the
 >> CVS version of gnus? I did not see much info on
 >> http://www.easypg.org or http://www.gnus.org.

 du> (setq mml2015-use 'epg)

 du> Other options which affect the EPG binding are

 du> mml2015-signers
 du> mml2015-encrypt-to-self
 du> mml2015-cache-passphrase
 du> mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry
 du> mml2015-verbose

Ah, excellent. Thanks a lot.

Seems to work here just fine, will keep testing it.

Regards,
Georg

--

@ 2006-09-04  8:07                 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-04  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

> * Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org>:

> > Since epg.el is a general purpose PGP library, I think it should be a
> > part of Emacs (not Gnus) from the beginning.

> How would you support (S)XEmacs users?

> Would you like to have it as a separate xemacs package (or part of an
> existing one)?

I'll propose a new package based on epg-0.0.5 shortly.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-04  8:57         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-09-04  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> Which means there'll still be no way to discard your passphrase in
> Emacs 22?

I think we should install your proposed patch.  Unless there is some
other better way to discard the passphrase in Emacs 22?

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-04  9:07           ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-04  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> > Which means there'll still be no way to discard your passphrase in
> > Emacs 22?

> I think we should install your proposed patch.  Unless there is some
> other better way to discard the passphrase in Emacs 22?

I think we should not since it is an addition to the API.  Are any other
users really reluctant to add tiny function in their ~/.emacs?

By the way, I oppose to install Juliusz's patch because it doesn't clear
passphrases in passphrase-data.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-13 21:28             ` Juliusz Chroboczek
From: Juliusz Chroboczek @ 2006-09-13 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the late reply.

>>> Which means there'll still be no way to discard your passphrase in
>>> Emacs 22?

>> I think we should install your proposed patch.  Unless there is some
>> other better way to discard the passphrase in Emacs 22?

> I think we should not since it is an addition to the API.

Unless such a function is added, there is no documented way in Emacs
22 to discard a PGP passphrase.  That is a problem.

Ideally, we'd get epg into Emacs 22, but I'm assuming that's not going
to happen.

> By the way, I oppose to install Juliusz's patch because it doesn't clear
> passphrases in passphrase-data.

Could you please send me a corrected version?

                                        Juliusz

* Re: Please add pgg-discard-passphrase-cache
@ 2006-09-14  9:25               ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2006-09-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Unless such a function is added, there is no documented way in Emacs
> 22 to discard a PGP passphrase.

I know.  However, which can be seen as intended by design because
passphrase caching in Emacs is risky, and pgg-passphrase-cache-expiry
should not be extended to the value where people have to discard their
passphrase manually.

> That is a problem.

The proposed patch is not a problem fix but a feature enhancement, since
PGG has not provided the way to discard PGP passphrases in Emacs for 7
years.  I don't welcome such a change.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno