* announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-11  5:18 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-11  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

<URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu./nnmaildir/>
nnmaildir is a maildir backend for Gnus.
Changes:
  - use 'address in gnus-declare-backend
  - don't throw an error for repeated numbers in ranges

paul

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18  8:37 ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-09-18  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Any reason why nnmaildir isn't distributed with Gnus?

--
(TMDA - http://tmda.sourceforge.net)
 (SPAM reduction for qmail systems)

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 15:01   ` Paul Jarc
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-18 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: prjware

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1001493463.d642fe@mastaler.com> wrote:
> Any reason why nnmaildir isn't distributed with Gnus?

I asked how that might happen when I first started and got no
response.  I gather that it would require copyright assignment or
placing it in the public domain; I don't know if there are any other
obstacles.

I think perhaps the only significant benefit would be visibility,
though, and that purpose could be served just as well by adding some
links to the manual, the gnus.org site, etc., pointing to nnmaildir,
nnir, and other such useful Gnus-related bits.

paul

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 15:47     ` Jason R. Mastaler
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-09-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:

> I asked how that might happen when I first started and got no
> response.  I gather that it would require copyright assignment or
> placing it in the public domain; I don't know if there are any other
> obstacles.

I'm sure someone on this list can answer that for you, but I wouldn't
imagine that it would be very hard.  If still no response, perhaps
sending a message directly to Lars would be best.

> I think perhaps the only significant benefit would be visibility,
> though, and that purpose could be served just as well by adding some
> links to the manual, the gnus.org site, etc., pointing to nnmaildir,
> nnir, and other such useful Gnus-related bits.

Not just as well IMO.  It is much easier to give a new backend like
nnmaildir a try if it is already part of Gnus, documented in the Gnus
manual, etc. rather than first having to download, install and then
byte-compile it.

In addition to more users, you'll also get the benefit of many more
eyes on your code leading to bugfixes, enhancements, etc.

--

@ 2001-09-18 16:43     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-09-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote:

> "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1001493463.d642fe@mastaler.com> wrote:
> > Any reason why nnmaildir isn't distributed with Gnus?
>
> I asked how that might happen when I first started and got no
> response.

        I've not looked at it yet, but it seems that it should be part of Gnus
indeed. I can check it in for you. But perhaps you should also get write
access to the repository, as the primary maintainer of this package. What do
other "commiters" say ?

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 44 08 01 99   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 16:43     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-09-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1001493463.d642fe@mastaler.com> wrote:
> > Any reason why nnmaildir isn't distributed with Gnus?
>
> I asked how that might happen when I first started and got no
> response.  I gather that it would require copyright assignment or
> placing it in the public domain; I don't know if there are any other
> obstacles.

I'd like to have any Gnus contribution incorporated into the Gnus
distribution if the author is willing to assign the Gnu copyright
assignment.  And it would be better that the author writes the manual
node.  So, please say it explicitly if you want to contribute it.  For
the further development, you can ask Lars for the write permission to
the Gnus CVS.

ShengHuo

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-18 17:55     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-18 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1001493463.d642fe@mastaler.com> wrote:
> > Any reason why nnmaildir isn't distributed with Gnus?
>
> I asked how that might happen when I first started and got no
> response.  I gather that it would require copyright assignment or
> placing it in the public domain; I don't know if there are any other
> obstacles.

You need to sign a copyright assignment.  I'll send you something to
request a copyright assignment form.

One other thing would be to include its documentation in the normal
Gnus info file.

> I think perhaps the only significant benefit would be visibility,
> though, and that purpose could be served just as well by adding some
> links to the manual, the gnus.org site, etc., pointing to nnmaildir,
> nnir, and other such useful Gnus-related bits.

It would be way cool if nnmaildir was part of Gnus.  I don't use it,
but I think it's good stuff.  People ought to be able to profit from
it.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 18:18       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-18 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to have any Gnus contribution incorporated into the Gnus
> distribution if the author is willing to assign the Gnu copyright
> assignment.

I'd prefer public domain, if that's acceptable.

> And it would be better that the author writes the manual node.

I don't know texinfo, but hopefully my existing HTML can be converted
without much trouble.

> So, please say it explicitly if you want to contribute it.

Fine by me.  Let's do.

> For the further development, you can ask Lars for the write
> permission to the Gnus CVS.

Lars, what say you?

@ 2001-09-18 19:06         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

>> I'd like to have any Gnus contribution incorporated into the Gnus
>> distribution if the author is willing to assign the Gnu copyright
>> assignment.
>
> I'd prefer public domain, if that's acceptable.

Does anyone know if it is acceptable?  I'm thinking of a recent
gnus-spec.el patch.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 20:49           ` ShengHuo ZHU
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-09-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>
>>> I'd like to have any Gnus contribution incorporated into the Gnus
>>> distribution if the author is willing to assign the Gnu copyright
>>> assignment.
>>
>> I'd prefer public domain, if that's acceptable.
>
> Does anyone know if it is acceptable?  I'm thinking of a recent
> gnus-spec.el patch.

Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
accept a file without the copyright assignment.  It could go to the
contrib directory, but it may lose the original purpose and be
difficult to maintain.

As to patches, if the modification is minimal (for example, less than
10 lines as suggested), it can installed without assignment.  Gerd
suggested to list the change log with an attribution of the form "From
<you>".

ShengHuo

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 21:20             ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-09-18 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
>accept a file without the copyright assignment.  It could go to the
>contrib directory, but it may lose the original purpose and be
>difficult to maintain.

Gnus becomes part of emacs? In which way? No more support for XEmacs?
Where to get infos about this?

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 21:37             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-18 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>>> I'd prefer public domain, if that's acceptable.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is acceptable?  I'm thinking of a recent
>> gnus-spec.el patch.
>
> Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
> accept a file without the copyright assignment.

Ok.  I backed out the patch to gnus-spec.el I was thinking about.
Anyone that wants to reimplement it?  The problem is explained in
<87itf461hj.fsf@inanna.rimspace.net>.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 22:15               ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-09-18 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >> Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
 >> accept a file without the copyright assignment.  It could go to the
 >> contrib directory, but it may lose the original purpose and be
 >> difficult to maintain.

 > Gnus becomes part of emacs? In which way? No more support for XEmacs?
 > Where to get infos about this?

And will the anonymous CVS access for Gnus be removed ? I mean as there
is no emacs21 anonymous access yet, will the rule apply to Gnus also ?
Does that also mean than anyone which send patchs will have to sign
something and return it to FSF to say they give up their copyright ?
(well I don't think I'll ever be concerned about it, but who knows...)

--
Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org>
http://perso.LinuxFR.org/penso/

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-18 22:19               ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2001-09-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Frank Schmitt]

> Gnus becomes part of emacs?  In which way?

This is nothing new.  Gnus has been part of Emacs for quite a long time
now, at least, so far that I know.  By "being part", one means that Gnus
is fully included in Emacs distributions.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-19  1:29               ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-09-19  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>>> Does anyone know if it is acceptable?  I'm thinking of a recent
>>> gnus-spec.el patch.
>>
>> Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
>> accept a file without the copyright assignment.
>
> Ok.  I backed out the patch to gnus-spec.el I was thinking about.
> Anyone that wants to reimplement it?  The problem is explained in
> <87itf461hj.fsf@inanna.rimspace.net>.

Hey, I said I would do the assignment if needed. Don't get so antsy. :)

Anyway, does someone who is an author of this thing want to email me the
assignment form for a Gnus change, please? This is, according to my last
dealings with RMS on the topic, the official way to do this.

Once I get that I will fill it out and send it off to the FSF and all;
you may as well make it a form for future work as well -- that way I
only need jump through these hoops once.

        Daniel

--
It is very easy for a man who sits idle at home, and has nobody to please but
himself, to ridicule or censure the common practices of mankind.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-19  3:07                 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-09-19  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

[...]

> And will the anonymous CVS access for Gnus be removed ? I mean as there
> is no emacs21 anonymous access yet, will the rule apply to Gnus also ?

I don't think this rule will apply to Gnus.

> Does that also mean than anyone which send patchs will have to sign
> something and return it to FSF to say they give up their copyright ?
> (well I don't think I'll ever be concerned about it, but who knows...)

For non-trivial patches, yes.

ShengHuo

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-19 11:59             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-19 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Because Gnus will become part of Emacs, I don't think that FSF will
> accept a file without the copyright assignment.  It could go to the
> contrib directory, but it may lose the original purpose and be
> difficult to maintain.

I thought that assignment of copyright to the FSF was preferred, but
something having to do with public domain was also acceptable.

Hm.  I continue to forget the URL for the site that lists the various
options and how to submit forms.  Argh.

kai
--

@ 2001-09-19 12:33               ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-09-19 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought that assignment of copyright to the FSF was preferred, but
> something having to do with public domain was also acceptable.

It is, but it still requires a written disclaimer.

> Hm.  I continue to forget the URL for the site that lists the various
> options and how to submit forms.  Argh.

The gcc team (who had the page) removed it after request from RMS.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-19 14:50                 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> I thought that assignment of copyright to the FSF was preferred, but
>> something having to do with public domain was also acceptable.
>
> It is, but it still requires a written disclaimer.

Does that require a form from the FSF?  Or do I just put a comment in
the file that says "this is in the public domain"?

@ 2001-09-19 16:10                 ` Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-09-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I thought that assignment of copyright to the FSF was preferred, but
>> something having to do with public domain was also acceptable.
>
> It is, but it still requires a written disclaimer.

Aren't there additional legal risks when releasing software into the
public domain?  I thought I read something about that.

[Time passes]

Ah, here it is:

<URL:http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/05/122240>

(Search for "Public Domain".)

Sam
--
May all your PUSHes be POPped.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-19 16:44                   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Does that require a form from the FSF?  Or do I just put a comment in
> the file that says "this is in the public domain"?

The FSF has a file.  There, you fill out some blanks (the program name
and your name and address, basically), and then you print that out and
sign it (with a pen) and snail-mail it to the FSF.

kai
--

@ 2001-09-19 19:04                 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

>> Ok.  I backed out the patch to gnus-spec.el I was thinking about.
>> Anyone that wants to reimplement it?  The problem is explained in
>> <87itf461hj.fsf@inanna.rimspace.net>.
>
> Hey, I said I would do the assignment if needed. Don't get so antsy. :)

Sorry..  I didn't remember you said that, sorry.

> Once I get that I will fill it out and send it off to the FSF and all;
> you may as well make it a form for future work as well -- that way I
> only need jump through these hoops once.

Good.  Eh. Oh. So, I... eh, re-reverted the patch to CVS.  Thanks for
signing the papers.

* Re: announce: nnmaildir 2001.09.11
@ 2001-09-20 11:31                   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-09-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Does that require a form from the FSF?  Or do I just put a comment in
> the file that says "this is in the public domain"?

No way to avoid signing a paper form.  It is just a matter of which
form.

I recommend the "future changes" form, then you will only have to sign
once.  It is rather long and complicated though, but don't worry, the
sections about your "soul" and "first-born son" are just standard
legal muble-jumble, it is quite safe to ignore.  And the requirement
to use your own blood is simply a safety measure for your protection,
the DNA in the blood is guarantee against someone else forging your
signature.