From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
Cc: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: feature request: differentiate between read and automatically marked read
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 13:38:04 +0100	[thread overview]

dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> ESF> I use adaptive scoring and rely on it.
>
> You'd be the first person or bot I've heard say this.
>
> From Gnus Manual Section 8.6 "Initial impressions seem to indicate
> that it's [i.e., adaptive scoring] totally useless as it stands."
>
> Like most Gnus things, scoring is a bear to configure, but worse, its
> default bag-of-words approach would get it wrong most of the time.

Adaptive scoring is not a bag-of-words approach.  Usually, you'd use it
to up-score threads you have actively read (automatically, just by the
fact that you read messages in the thread) and down-score threads you
caught up without reading (again, automatically by the vitue of catching
up the summary without reading some messages).  Then, when sorting
threads according to score, you get threads of interest on top and the
others below.

Like for Eric, that has served me well for years.

Bye,
Tassilo