From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: feature request: differentiate between read and automatically marked read
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:50:14 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thursday,  3 Feb 2022 at 07:26, dick wrote:
> You'd be the first person or bot I've heard say this.

I've never been called a bot before.  :-)

> From Gnus Manual Section 8.6 "Initial impressions seem to indicate that
> it's [i.e., adaptive scoring] totally useless as it stands."
>
> Like most Gnus things, scoring is a bear to configure, but worse, its
> default bag-of-words approach would get it wrong most of the time.

Well, it works for me.  Yes, I spent some time getting the weights right
for the various actions used for scoring but, at the very least, it does
sort my emails in order of decreasing relevance/importance most of the
time.  And it does a good job of automatically marking as read emails
that I am seldom going to read.

Also works well for some of the newsgroups (e.g. emacs.help and
emacs.devel) and some rss feeds (arxiv).

For the record, my settings are:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
        '(;(gnus-kill-file-mark)
          ;;(gnus-unread-mark)
          ;; (gnus-read-mark (from 5) (subject 30))
          (gnus-replied-mark (from 50) (subject 10))
          (gnus-read-mark (from 30) (subject 10))
          (gnus-cached-mark (from 30) (subject 10))
          (gnus-forwarded-mark (from 10) (subject 5))
          (gnus-saved-mark (from 10) (subject 5))
          (gnus-expirable-mark (from 0) (subject 0))
          (gnus-catchup-mark (from -5) (subject -30))
          (gnus-killed-mark (subject -100))
          (gnus-del-mark (from -10) (subject -50)))
        gnus-default-adaptive-word-score-alist '((42 . 3) ;cached
                                                 (65 . 2) ;replied
                                                 (70 . 1) ;forwarded
                                                 (82 . 1) ;read
                                                 (67 . -1) ;catchup
                                                 (69 . 0) ;expired
                                                 (75 . -3) ;killed
                                                 (114 . -3)) ;deleted
        )
#+end_src

and I've been using these now for a few years.

I should add that I do have some fixed scores as well so, for instance,
emails to me from the PhD students I supervise always score high no
matter what the subject is.

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2