* Re: Offline and IMAP
       [not found] <glmlnms40r8.fsf@caffeine.mitre.org>
@ 1998-10-08 13:42 ` Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1998-10-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mark Moll <mmoll@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
> Here in the CS dept at CMU there's a program called rdeliver which
> delivers a message to a folder on a (Cyrus) IMAP server.

I turns out there are only two perl scripts needed for this. Attached
you'll find rdeliver.tgz, which contains:

   0 rdeliver/
   0 rdeliver/bin/
4956 rdeliver/bin/rdeliver
   0 rdeliver/etc/
3806 rdeliver/etc/rdeliverd
   0 rdeliver/man/
   0 rdeliver/man/man1/
1876 rdeliver/man/man1/rdeliver.1

I know nothing about perl, so these scripts might not be all that useful.
OTOH, it might not be that hard to tailor it for your IMAP server...

--
Mark

[-- Attachment #2: rdeliver.tgz --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream, Size: 4394 bytes --]

* Re: Offline and IMAP
@ 1998-10-07 18:47               ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>> The UofW software opens every file in your home directory looking
>>> for folders?

JS> Yep.  Serious bogusness.

JH> As I stated in another follow up in this thread, it's not *in* but
JH> *under* your home directory.

Which is *in* by default.
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Offline and IMAP
@ 1998-10-07 18:46             ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

JH> I don't want to seduce you to use something else than emacs/gnus,
JH> but your view on IMAP might be different,

he he...

JH> if you use Netscape Collabra or MS Outlook just a single time, to
JH> operate on *any* IMAP server.

JH> Not *in* but *under*, exactly speaking the IMAP RFC deals with
JH> even *hierarchical* folders.  so basically e.g. in Netscape
JH> Collabra, you (can) specify a subdirectory (e.g. iMail (note the
JH> difference!!!)), that carries your mail folders.

Right....  I think the *default* value if not specified by the client
should be a sub directory which is reasonable.  Yes, I can force
gnus/imap to look in one place as well, you are right.

JH> In the case of the UWASH thing, all folders besides from the INBOX
JH> are (as you found) under your home directory, resp. in a subdir thereof.

Right...  And it opens everything in existence looking for mail.
Ick.

WH> That's the impression I got by trying to run it
WH> once and finally hitting C-g 10 minutes later.

JH> That's just nnimap -- for whatever reason ...

Yes and no.  I had *no* mail in an IMAP folder yet.  It was because
the imap server defaulted to looking in my home directory for mail
folders, and it probably found some tar files, etc..., instead.

Opening nnimap for a newly created user with no home directory was
very fast.

(and nnimap is definitely slow, you're right.  Thats on purpose, from
what I understand, for development purposes).

JH> Other tools access remote IMAP folder much faster.

Of course.  elisp is not exactly an ideal programming language for
speed ;-)

WH> Actually, I want procmail to deliver mail into my imap folders,
WH> but I think this is a pipe-dream at this point...  sigh...

JH> That's exactly where I also started -- but only `wishwise'.

I have it working now actually...

(not that I read my mail using IMAP yet...)

JH> Oh, my utility sends the user's password unencrypted,
JH> because it's too hard to do Kerberos under `python circumstances'.

I haven't gotten nnimap to do kerberos yet either...  It's supposed to
work with "itest", but I haven't found (or looked for) it yet.

--

@ 1998-10-07 18:03               ` Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1998-10-07 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org wrote:

>     CRO> Wes Hardaker wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Actually, I want procmail to deliver mail into my imap folders, but I
>     >> think this is a pipe-dream at this point...  sigh...
>     >>

>     CRO> I do this.
>
> Lucky you.
>
> But not in all places you are free to install / use programs
> on the site, where your IMAP folders are.

You could have your mail sent/forwarded to a non-IMAP server, where each
message upon arrival is piped through procmail. Procmail will then use
something like dmail to deliver to an IMAP folder. Here in the CS dept at
CMU there's a program called rdeliver which delivers a message to a folder
on a (Cyrus) IMAP server. This is not part of the Cyrus distribution, but
I guess this does the same thing as dmail.

--
Mark Moll

* Re: Offline and IMAP
@ 1998-10-07 15:58           ` Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-10-07 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    WH> My ideal case would be a imap server that allows me to specify
    WH> the location in which I want to place folders.

I don't want to seduce you to use something else than emacs/gnus,
but your view on IMAP might be different,
if you use Netscape Collabra or MS Outlook just a single time,
to operate on *any* IMAP server.

    WH> The UofW software opens every file in your home directory
    WH> looking for folders?

Not *in* but *under*,
exactly speaking the IMAP RFC deals with even *hierarchical* folders.
so basically e.g. in Netscape Collabra, you (can) specify a subdirectory
(e.g. iMail (note the difference!!!)),
that carries your mail folders.

Even nnimap (and any other tool, I think) allows / expects that subdirectory.

In the case of the UWASH thing, all folders besides from the INBOX
are (as you found) under your home directory, resp. in a subdir thereof.
But AFAIK there is no user accessable option to enforce that.
Further on that facility `user+emacs.ding@mail.address'
would even be quite risky for it (only for UWASH???),
because the (trustworthy) sender of a message decides into which mail folder
a message goes.

    WH> That's the impression I got by trying to run it
    WH> once and finally hitting C-g 10 minutes later.

That's just nnimap -- for whatever reason ...

Other tools access remote IMAP folder much faster.

    WH> Actually, I want procmail to deliver mail into my imap folders,
    WH> but I think this is a pipe-dream at this point...  sigh...

That's exactly where I also started -- but only `wishwise'.
My IMAP+web space provider does not support procmail for the cheap accounts,
as I have one.
So I was stuck.

But then I wrote a utility in python
doing something comparable to procmail,
i.e. moving messages but *on* the IMAP server from one folder to other folders
depending on an expression (using functions etc.).

I find it quite readable,
and I announced it on the fetchmail list,
because it borrows code&concept from {fetchmail,fetchmailconf},
the latter one also being written in python.
But without much response.

Oh, my utility sends the user's password unencrypted,
because it's too hard to do Kerberos under `python circumstances'.
.

* Re: Offline and IMAP
@ 1998-10-07 15:57             ` Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-10-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    JS> Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:
    >> The UofW software opens every file in your home directory looking
    >> for folders?

    JS> Yep.  Serious bogusness.

As I stated in another follow up in this thread,
it's not *in* but *under* your home directory.
And you decide where this is,
e.g. in $HOME/iMail ...

Not that the UWASH would remember that later,
but it's just dealing with any home directory relative file names.
And that's not a problem, if you re-think that issue, right?
.

* Re: Offline and IMAP
@ 1998-10-07 15:56             ` Jochen_Hayek
From: Jochen_Hayek @ 1998-10-07 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)