* Question regarding the new multiplaned x-face
@ 2002-01-12 20:27 Torsten Hilbrich
From: Torsten Hilbrich @ 2002-01-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tested the new x-face support using commands like the
following code:

  ;; With higher depth, unfortunatly the compability is not good
  (defun th-insert-xface ()
     (gnus-convert-image-to-gray-x-face
      (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/ich.gif") 3))

  (add-hook 'message-header-hook
            'th-insert-xface)

The problem is, the X-Face part is IMO too ugly to be used for older
readers supporting only that header.  In the example I tried all white
pixel in the original picture are drawn black basicly inverting the
image.

It would be nice if the X-Face part would be the same as the old
bitmap one and the additional planes are used to improve the picture.
Or is the code supposed to do this and I'm doing something wrong.

I tried a grayscale gif picture (using the full color map) and a user
defined color map with 8 entries (bit depth set to 3).

        Torsten

BTW: I have inserted the new x-face as a demonstration of my problem.
Just invoke '{ echo '/* Width=48, Height=48 */'; uncompface; } |
icontopbm | display -' and paste the X-Face header contents to see the
"inverted" image.