* Katsumi Yamaoka's CVS update of gnus/lisp (73 files)
@ 2002-02-21  3:53 Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-02-21  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I couldn't help but notice the following changelog on the gnus cvslog
group:

	* many files: Remove trailing whitespaces, replace spc+tab with
	tab, replace leading whitespaces with tabs.

Does this change suggest that gnus source code should be indented with
only tabs, not spaces, in the future?  I wasn't aware of any gnus code
conventions, but this sure looks like a step in that direction.

I think that by default, both emacsen generate a mixture of tabs and
spaces when the user hits the TAB key to indent in emacs-lisp-mode.
It is my understanding that using only tabs in emacs-lisp-mode would
(speaking for GNU emacs now) require changes to the variable
`tab-width' and `tab-stop-list'.  In other words, if all gnus
developers had to start using the "only indent using tabs" convention,
then it would require that every developer customized their
emacs-lisp-mode-hook, for example.

I'm just wondering, are there any gnus code conventions that pertain
to the "indent with tabs vs. spaces" issue, and if so, what are they?
--
Benjamin