* Verifying GPGP signed messages: mailcrypt bug or Gnus configuration problem?
@ 2000-11-21 16:00 Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm trying to find out if I have a mailcrypt bug or if it's something
on my Gnus configuration.

Whenever I receive a message gpg signed with Mutt, and some other
mailers, the checking fails if the message contains diacriticals. I
think that's because of the way that letters appears to Gnus before
the message is processed (with, e.g., those =FA codes).

How can I see the full message without any post-processing
(i.e. beautification after receiving the message) from Gnus? I want to
cut the message, cut the signature and try running gpg by hand.

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.

* Re: Verifying GPGP signed messages: mailcrypt bug or Gnus configuration problem?
@ 2000-11-21 16:19 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:

> Hi!
>

> I'm trying to find out if I have a mailcrypt bug or if it's something
> on my Gnus configuration.
>
> Whenever I receive a message gpg signed with Mutt, and some other
> mailers, the checking fails if the message contains diacriticals. I
> think that's because of the way that letters appears to Gnus before
> the message is processed (with, e.g., those =FA codes).

> How can I see the full message without any post-processing
> (i.e. beautification after receiving the message) from Gnus? I want to
> cut the message, cut the signature and try running gpg by hand.

C-u g

ShengHuo

* Re: Verifying GPGP signed messages: mailcrypt bug or Gnus configuration problem?
@ 2000-11-21 21:35   ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-21 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Nov 2000, zsh@cs.rochester.edu wrote:
> Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
>
>> How can I see the full message without any post-processing
>> (i.e. beautification after receiving the message) from Gnus? I want
>> to cut the message, cut the signature and try running gpg by hand.
>
> C-u g

Thanks!

I've seen the message and there are the codes I thought there would
be, e.g.,

,----
| =C9, sim. N=E3o tem word-wrapping ou coisa parecida ligada a=ED?
| Estou assinando de novo.
`----

instead of

,----
| É, sim. Não tem word-wrapping ou coisa parecida ligada aí?
| Estou assinando de novo.
`----

I think this is because there's no description of what encoding to use
for the body on the headers. These are the relevant parts of it:

,----
`----

(I've inserted that elisp to change the mutt signature from MD5 to
SHA1, but this didn't help)

Is there any way to tell Gnus to always use ISO-8859-1 for messages it
don't receive any other encoding instruction?

Thanks!
--

@ 2000-11-21 21:45     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:

[...]

> Is there any way to tell Gnus to always use ISO-8859-1 for messages it
> don't receive any other encoding instruction?

Gnus verifies the QP encoded text. It doesn't matter what the charset
is. Do the MTAs munge the content-transfer-encoding?

ShengHuo

* Re: Verifying GPGP signed messages: mailcrypt bug or Gnus configuration problem?
@ 2000-11-21 23:06       ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-21 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Nov 2000, zsh@cs.rochester.edu wrote:
> Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Is there any way to tell Gnus to always use ISO-8859-1 for messages
>> it don't receive any other encoding instruction?
>
> Gnus verifies the QP encoded text. It doesn't matter what the
> charset is. Do the MTAs munge the content-transfer-encoding?

No, they don't. For my MTA, I can get messages with diacriticals that
I've written to myself (they go out from my MTA to Conectiva's MTA and
comes back to me, passing through my MTA again).

The MTAs involved with messages (and that I'm sure have 8 bit support
enabled) are: Postfix, exim, sendmail and qmail.

See you,
--

@ 2000-11-22  1:09         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-22  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:

> On 21 Nov 2000, zsh@cs.rochester.edu wrote:
> > Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Is there any way to tell Gnus to always use ISO-8859-1 for messages
> >> it don't receive any other encoding instruction?
> >
> > Gnus verifies the QP encoded text. It doesn't matter what the
> > charset is. Do the MTAs munge the content-transfer-encoding?
>
> No, they don't. For my MTA, I can get messages with diacriticals that
> I've written to myself (they go out from my MTA to Conectiva's MTA and
> comes back to me, passing through my MTA again).
>
> The MTAs involved with messages (and that I'm sure have 8 bit support
> enabled) are: Postfix, exim, sendmail and qmail.

Is the message right if you verify it manually?

ShengHuo

* Re: Verifying GPGP signed messages: mailcrypt bug or Gnus configuration problem?
@ 2000-11-22  1:46           ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-22  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Nov 2000, zsh@cs.rochester.edu wrote:

> Is the message right if you verify it manually?

No, I've tried that. But I don't have any message that haven't been
processed by Gnus... :-(

The weird thing is that my messages, with diacriticals, are always
correctly verified.

See you,