* better gnus logos
@ 2003-01-31 20:08 Wes Hardaker
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-01-31 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, so after my last attempt at a gnus logo with the oort cloud I sent
it in knowing it didn't look all that grand.  No one seemed interested
so I dropped playing with it beyond the initial 15 minutes I spent.
The Lars showed up again and committed it about 9 months later (or
something like that).  But, it still looked pretty bad.

So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud
and have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all
better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-new2.xpm --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 75228 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: gnus-eye5.xpm --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 75257 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: gnus-eye6.xpm --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 75293 bytes --]

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-01-31 20:41 ` Norbert Koch
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-01-31 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud
> and have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all
> better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

Nice work!

Just in case a vote comes up, I like these in order of occurrence,
first one best and so on :-)

norbert.

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-01-31 23:02 ` Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-31 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, wes@hardakers.net wrote:
> Ok, so after my last attempt at a gnus logo with the oort cloud I
> sent it in knowing it didn't look all that grand.  No one seemed
> interested so I dropped playing with it beyond the initial 15
> minutes I spent.  The Lars showed up again and committed it about 9
> months later (or something like that).  But, it still looked pretty
> bad.
>
> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort
> cloud and have the following better replacements to suggest.
> They're all better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

The third one looks like he's wearing plasma sunglasses, which of
course may not be a bad thing :)  I like the second one best.

Ted

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-01  1:40 ` Wes Hardaker
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-02-01  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud
Wes> and have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all
Wes> better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

I should have mentioned that there is another new color for the eye in
the last two, for which I didn't create a patch for gnus.el.

* Re: better gnus logos
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-01  8:35 ` Robert Marshall
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-02-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, wes@hardakers.net wrote:

> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort
> cloud and have the following better replacements to suggest.
> They're all better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

Hmmm, viewing one of these and then attempting to scroll the article causes
my (cvs) emacs to go into a paroxysm of beeps which I can't get out
off - have to kill off the session!

Viewers beware!

Take me to the world
A world that smiles
With streets instead of aisles

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-01  8:40   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2003-02-01  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Hmmm, viewing one of these and then attempting to scroll the
    > article causes my (cvs) emacs to go into a paroxysm of beeps
    > which I can't get out off - have to kill off the session!

Yes, i also had that effect with CVS Emacs and CVS Gnus.

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-01  8:51   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-01  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <nk@viteno.net> writes:

> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
>
>> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud
>> and have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all
>> better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.
>
> Nice work!
>
> Just in case a vote comes up, I like these in order of occurrence,
> first one best and so on :-)

Me2.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: better gnus logos
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-01 10:32 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-01 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud
> and have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all
> better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.

I like the first one best.

What about the color of the head, though?  I really like the fact that
the current head is whiteish blackish, rather than brownish.  Brownish
is too much an earth color, and Oort is not about the earth :-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: better gnus logos
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-01 16:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Ok, so after my last attempt at a gnus logo with the oort cloud I sent
> it in knowing it didn't look all that grand.  No one seemed interested
> so I dropped playing with it beyond the initial 15 minutes I spent.
> The Lars showed up again and committed it about 9 months later (or
> something like that).

Did you really think I would resist?  :-)

> But, it still looked pretty bad.

Ok, now the first one is in CVS...

* Re: better gnus logos
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-01 17:15 ` Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2003-02-01 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 2003-01-31T20:08:10Z, Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort cloud and
> have the following better replacements to suggest.  They're all better,
> but I like the 3rd the best I think.

Just a quick note: by converting the xpm files to pngs, I was able to cut
the total size from 225778 bytes to 14167 bytes.

Before:

   kirk@pooh:~$ ls -la *.xpm
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk        75257 Feb  1 10:43 gnus-eye5.xpm
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk        75293 Feb  1 10:43 gnus-eye6.xpm
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk        75228 Feb  1 10:42 gnus-new2.xpm

The conversion process:

   for i in gnus*.xpm; do xpmtoppm < $i | pnmtopng > $i.png; done

After:

   kirk@pooh:~$ ls -la gnus*.png
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk         3553 Feb  1 11:12 gnus-eye5.xpm.png
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk         4512 Feb  1 11:12 gnus-eye6.xpm.png
   -rw-r--r--    1 kirk     kirk         6102 Feb  1 11:12 gnus-new2.xpm.png
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-02  8:54   ` Xavier MAILLARD
From: Xavier MAILLARD @ 2003-02-02  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Norbert Koch spake thusly:

>  Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
>
> > So, I played around a bit more with a better version of the oort
> > cloud and have the following better replacements to suggest.
> > They're all better, but I like the 3rd the best I think.
>
>  Nice work!
>
>  Just in case a vote comes up, I like these in order of occurrence,
>  first one best and so on :-)
>
>  norbert.

Same for me :)

zeDek

@ 2003-02-03 15:54   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-02-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai> What about the color of the head, though?  I really like the fact that
Kai> the current head is whiteish blackish, rather than brownish.  Brownish
Kai> is too much an earth color, and Oort is not about the earth :-)

They're changed by gnus at display time using the xpm tags.

(I got this same question the last time I posted logos ;-)

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-03 15:55   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-02-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kirk> Just a quick note: by converting the xpm files to pngs, I was
Kirk> able to cut the total size from 225778 bytes to 14167 bytes.

Yeah, xpms suck for compression.  I think the reason for using them in
gnus is that they're supported by more Emacs versions than pngs are.

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-03 17:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> (I got this same question the last time I posted logos ;-)

Probably by me.  Argh...
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: better gnus logos
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Yeah, xpms suck for compression.  I think the reason for using them in
> gnus is that they're supported by more Emacs versions than pngs are.

And they have symbolic color names, which means that it's easy to
change the colors when you display the images.

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-07 18:00       ` Kirk Strauser
From: Kirk Strauser @ 2003-02-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 2003-02-07T12:25:05Z, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

>> Yeah, xpms suck for compression.  I think the reason for using them in
>> gnus is that they're supported by more Emacs versions than pngs are.

> And they have symbolic color names, which means that it's easy to
> change the colors when you display the images.

The main point of my xpm-png comparison was for purposes of posting sample
images to a widely-disseminated mailing list.  I imagine that n users times
i bytes could be equal to a large number.  I would not recommend png over
xpm for the actual task of installing the images in Gnus.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* better gnus logos
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-07 21:08 ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2003-02-07 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try doing a logo where the Oort cloud is neither in front of or
behind the gnu but rather in the middle, in the heart of the gnu.

Think of what the gnu would look like if it was leaping *through* the
Oort cloud. A part of it would be in front, parts of the middle would
be in the cloud and some parts would be behind the cloud.

* Re: better gnus logos
@ 2003-02-15 15:13   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-02-15 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

luis> Try doing a logo where the Oort cloud is neither in front of or
luis> behind the gnu but rather in the middle, in the heart of the
luis> gnu.

I thought about it, but hadn't (and still haven't) gotten around to it.