* Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 13:54 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps it's about time I got off my fat ass and released Quassia.  So
look for it next weekend, or summink.  Unless something gets in the
way.

But more importantly, as I was lying on the veranda, listening to
_Peng!_ by Stereolab and looking at the clouds (boo hoo! It's probably
going to rain and everything the day after I cleaned up the veranda
for the first time this year and installed myself out there) that
there should be some Quassia Gnus merchandice.

As the sun (and clouds) got in my eyes and annoyed me, how about a
Quassia Gnus cap?  I envision a black cap with a gnu in green
stitching on the front.  No writing, I think.  Should be quite
inexpensive -- USD5-10 or something in that area?

What I had originally planned were some Quassia Gnus cups.  Well,
mugs, rather.  Kinda big, solid, heavy mugs suitable for sufficient
quantaties of tea and/or coffee.  I don't think those should be all
that expensive, either, but I haven't checked.  What do they normally
sell for?  USD10?  They would be more of a chore to pack and ship,
though.  Styrofoam, styrofoam, styrofoam.  But mugs would be more
useful than caps.  But caps are more summerey, while mugs are more
winterey.  I dunno.

Whadday'all say?  Cups or caps or something else altogether?  T-shirts
are always popular, but that's been done, kinda.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 16:46 ` Vinnie Shelton
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Vinnie Shelton @ 1997-07-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the cap sounds great!  My guess is it'll cost around US $10, but
I'd pay as much as $20.

I also think you're right about the mugs and their shipping hassles.  Go
for the cap!!

vin

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 16:59 ` Jason R Mastaler
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Whadday'all say?  Cups or caps or something else altogether?  T-shirts
> are always popular, but that's been done, kinda.

I like the cap idea.  It's unique.  Mugs are a very common gift in the
computing industry, and I have so many mugs from various
software/computer companies/conferences I'll probably never use them
all (despite all the tea I drink)  So, I vote for caps.
Black ones.. :-)

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 17:30 ` Justin Sheehy
                     ` (3 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-07-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Whadday'all say?  Cups or caps or something else altogether?  T-shirts
> are always popular, but that's been done, kinda.

Hrm.

I think that they sound really nifty looking, except that I don't wear
caps.  I look fairly silly in them.

I mean, everyone wears t-shirts, so they always worked.  And everybody
drinks something, so mugs are a win.  Some people just don't wear
caps.

However, if they are what we end up doing, I'll probably end up
getting one anyway.

My opinion is a little biased, as I jumped on the ding wagon just a
little after the sgnus tshirts...

I guess I can always just put a cap somewhere decorative.  They do
sound as though they would look pretty neato.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-12 18:09 ` Jens Lautenbacher
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1997-07-12 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mugs.

I look ridiculous wearing caps. I drink much tea. I don't have a good
looking Real Big Mug(tm) by now. A Real Big Mug has around half a
liter.

	jtl

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 18:21   ` Johan Danielsson
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-07-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> I think that they sound really nifty looking, except that I don't wear
> caps.  I look fairly silly in them.
>
> I mean, everyone wears t-shirts, so they always worked.  And everybody
> drinks something, so mugs are a win.  Some people just don't wear
> caps.

`Right'. I haven't used a cap since I did my military service.

/Johan

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 18:27   ` James Troup
From: James Troup @ 1997-07-12 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> I think that they sound really nifty looking, except that I don't
> wear caps.  I look fairly silly in them.
>
> I mean, everyone wears t-shirts, so they always worked.  And
> everybody drinks something, so mugs are a win.  Some people just
> don't wear caps.

Well said.  I personally detest caps and never wear them.

> However, if they are what we end up doing, I'll probably end up
> getting one anyway.

Me too.  And I'll be forced to wear it :-(

--
James

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 19:41   ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-07-12 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JS> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
 >> Whadday'all say?  Cups or caps or something else altogether?  T-shirts
 >> are always popular, but that's been done, kinda.

 JS> I think that they sound really nifty looking, except that I don't
 JS> wear caps.  I look fairly silly in them.

And a cup would look better?  They are also uncomfortable.

 JS> I mean, everyone wears t-shirts, so they always worked.  And
 JS> everybody drinks something, so mugs are a win.  Some people just
 JS> don't wear caps.

It is true that the only people I have ever seen wearing caps are
those in the military and guests on the Ricki Lake Show.  I personally
lack the sophistication necessary for a cap-wearer and don't even own a
pickup truck, but the problems in P&P costs, breakage, and the like
for cups shift my vote in favour of caps.

 JS> However, if they are what we end up doing, I'll probably end up
 JS> getting one anyway.

See how reasonable some people can be?  I'll even get a cup if it
comes to that.

--
Len

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-12 20:20   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> I think that they sound really nifty looking, except that I don't wear
> caps.  I look fairly silly in them.
>
> I mean, everyone wears t-shirts, so they always worked.  And everybody
> drinks something, so mugs are a win.  Some people just don't wear
> caps.

On the other hand, caps are more seasonal as Lars suggested and I
think this has been a trend in the past.  The Red Gnus sweatshirts
arrived right around wintertime of last year for example..

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 21:25     ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-07-12 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> On the other hand, caps are more seasonal as Lars suggested and I
> think this has been a trend in the past.  The Red Gnus sweatshirts
> arrived right around wintertime of last year for example..

Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

/Johan

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-12 22:04 ` Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1997-07-12 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Whadday'all say?  Cups or caps or something else altogether?  T-shirts
> are always popular, but that's been done, kinda.

Mug.  I never wear caps, not even the ones I've gotten for development
efforts.

Joev                            <URL:http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dubach1/>

  "While I have absolutely no love for Perl, it is one of the more
   popular languages today.  I see no reason not to use syntactical
   elements from Perl just because Perl is a Tainted Work Of Pure Evil."
          -- Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-12 22:10       ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-12 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
> rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
> hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

Quite true.  I guess I'm biased living here in New Mexico where we
get about 300 sunny days per year..

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
> rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
> hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

So we should do cups since it's winter in Australia now.  :-)

I think it looks like cups are way more popular than caps.  I guess
I'll just have to buy a non-Gnus cap for myself to wear when reading
out on the veranda.  Oh, the horrors of it all!

I've been pondering the design of the possible cup.  Howxabout
something along the lines of:

                        _    ___ _             _
                         _ ___ __ ___  __    _ ___
_____________________    __   _     ___    __  ___   __________________________
                             _           ___     _
                            _  _ __             _
                            ___   __            _
                                  __           _
                                   _      _   _
                                  _      _    _
                                     _  _    _
                                 __  ___
                                _   _ _     _
                               _   _
                             _    _
Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
_______________________    _   ________________________________________________
                         __

Print it out and wrap it around a mug and see how it looks.  :-)

(The real version won't be ascii art, of course.)

I'll probably use the Saddam Hussein of typefaces, Futura
Semicondensed Extra Bold, for the text.  I hear that Syntax is
supposed to be all cute and stuff, but I don't have that...

A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm, gold.  Unless
several different colors won't be more expensive, and we'll see about
color printing and stuff.  I'll have to ask around a bit.

Uhm.  Unless anybody has a different idea for the design.  Design
away, anybody who feels the calling...

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-13  0:25   ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1997-07-13  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens> Mugs.
Jens> I look ridiculous wearing caps. I drink much tea. I don't have a good
Jens> looking Real Big Mug(tm) by now. A Real Big Mug has around half a
Jens> liter.

I don't mind either way.  I still haven't used the vi mug that arrived
a few weeks ago (which has a vi command summary on the side - we need
an emacs one, although it might have to be one of those large Bavarian
beer mug thingies in order to fit the "quick reference" on it ;)

Of course, i'd be more lilkely to use a Gnus mug than a vi one anyway :)

Andrew (unfortunately my Stereolab CDs are at home, so i'm listening
to Coil instead :)
--
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -        >> see X-headers >>       ajc@bing.wattle.id.au
           "Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-13 13:36 ` Fredrik Glockner
From: Fredrik Glockner @ 1997-07-13 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like the cap, really.  I've always wanted to wear a cap in the
summer to avoid getting sunburn.  But somehow I've never dared going
out to actually buy one.  They all have ugly design, too.  This would
be my great chance, I figure, to finally get a nice one.

Fredrik

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14  1:40         ` Andrew J Cosgriff
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1997-07-14  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
>> rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
>> hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

lmi> So we should do cups since it's winter in Australia now.  :-)

Funny you should mention that, since when I read this post, and the
other quoted one, I look out my window and see a clear blue sky
(although it's still cold :).

Design looks cool.  I don't think i've had a green mug before
("oo-er", as my english relatives say :)

Andrew
--
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -        >> see X-headers >>       ajc@bing.wattle.id.au
       LOOK!!  Sullen American teens wearing MADRAS shorts and "Flock of

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14  3:36         ` Jason R Mastaler
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-14  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel

What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
that somewhere along the line.

@ 1997-07-14  8:34         ` Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
From: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen @ 1997-07-14  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm, gold.

Sounds good, only make it a big mug.  I drink lots of tea, and need a
big mug, so I don't have to leave the computer so often :)

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 10:03 ` Kai Grossjohann
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> [...] What I had originally planned were some Quassia Gnus
  Lars> cups.  Well, mugs, rather.  Kinda big, solid, heavy mugs
  Lars> suitable for sufficient quantaties of tea and/or coffee. [...]

All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not coffee.  Wouldn't
it be nice to make a poll and add a section to the appendix of the
Gnus manual along the lines of:

  Did you know that 75% of all Gnus users drink tea, not coffee?

Or would that be better put in the FAQ?  Or in some popup messages in
the echo area like Kyle has for VM?

Whatcha think?
kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 10:09   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (7 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

fredrigl@math.uio.no (Fredrik Glockner) writes:

> I'd like the cap, really.  I've always wanted to wear a cap in the
> summer to avoid getting sunburn.  But somehow I've never dared going
> out to actually buy one.  They all have ugly design, too.  This would
> be my great chance, I figure, to finally get a nice one.

That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

I'll look through some catalogs and visit a few cap-making places to
see if I can find some caps that 1) are cheap, 2) there is no two, 3)
don't look cheap, and 4) would not be something I'd be embarrassed to
be seen out on the street in (much).

If I can't find caps to satisfy these criteria, I'll go with cups.
But if I do caps now, I'll probably do cups for Millennium Gnus this
Xmas.

(Yes, more forehead is sunburned.  *sniffle*  And my knees as well,
but a cap wouldn't help with that.  Oh, I guess I could put caps on my
knees as well.  Problem solved!)

Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
than fabric-woven caps?

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 10:11           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
>
> What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
> that somewhere along the line.

It's the Gnus motto.  It says so in the manual, so it must be true.
(It's in the "Compatibility" section.)

It's the poem _The Bridge_ by Charles Reznikoff -- in full.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:05   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-07-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not coffee.

Uhm, no.

> Wouldn't it be nice to make a poll and add a section to the appendix
> of the Gnus manual along the lines of:
>
>   Did you know that 75% of all Gnus users drink tea, not coffee?
>
> Or would that be better put in the FAQ?  Or in some popup messages in
> the echo area like Kyle has for VM?

nnpoll?  Gnus asks a silly question when you start it; results are put
on www.gnus.org, so Gnus can download it and present statistics to the
user at random.

Sheesh, I need a holiday.

> Whatcha think?

I think you're almost as crazy as I am :-)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:14     ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
                       ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-07-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (Yes, more forehead is sunburned.  *sniffle*  And my knees as well,
> but a cap wouldn't help with that.  Oh, I guess I could put caps on my
> knees as well.  Problem solved!)

That'd be a knee cap, then.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:23     ` Fredrik Gl÷ckner
                       ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Fredrik Gl÷ckner @ 1997-07-14 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

| The cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

*Hail!*

Fredrik

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:29       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> (Yes, more forehead is sunburned.  *sniffle* And my knees as
  Lars> well, but a cap wouldn't help with that.  Oh, I guess I could
  Lars> put caps on my knees as well.  Problem solved!)

  Lars> That'd be a knee cap, then.

I've already got two of those.  Don't you, Lars?

SCNR,
kai (ambiguity intended)
--

@ 1997-07-14 11:32     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> nnpoll?  Gnus asks a silly question when you start it; results
  Lars> are put on www.gnus.org, so Gnus can download it and present
  Lars> statistics to the user at random.

Great idea!  Just send the results by mail, though.  Some people (like
me) might sit behind a firewall and can't do much where they don't
have a proxy for.  And sending mail doesn't need much setup, I'd
guess.

kai
--

@ 1997-07-14 11:38   ` Michael Huehne
From: Michael Huehne @ 1997-07-14 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

I prefer a really big  mug (0,5 liter or  more) because nearly every
standard cap   design might be  to small  for my head   (65 -  66 cm
circumfence = XXXL for helmets).  A price up to 20 US$ including p&p
would be fine for me.

Gold printing on dark green might be a  cool style :-) But how about
a well fitting saucer for  this mug project ?

Most of my  mugs do not have  a saucer (but  one). Some  times I get
some  chocolate  milk  rings  on my  papers  and  the  surface of my
desktop. A saucer might protect your documents too ?

 	Kai> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not
 	Kai> coffee.  Wouldn't it be nice to make a poll and add a
 	Kai> section to the appendix of the Gnus manual along the
 	Kai> lines of:

 	Kai> Did you know that 75% of all Gnus users drink tea, not
 	Kai> coffee?

What about the minority drinking chocolate milk like me ?

Is anybody else out there  not even drinking  tea  or coffee ?

--
   Freundliche Grüße,
   Best regards,

       Michael Hühne

   Gebietsverkaufsleiter
        Mitte/West

 ============================================  Michael Hühne
 ======= ____                            ====  Großkundenvertrieb/Sales
 ====== /      /   /   ___    ___  _/_  =====  Tel:    +49 231 972 1071
 ===== /----  /   /  /   /  /___/  /   ======  Fax:    +49 231 972 1122
 ==== /____  /___/  /   /  /___   /_  =======  E-Mail: mh@Germany.EU.net
 EUnet Deutschland GmbH, Emil-Figge-Strasse 80, D-44227 Dortmund, Germany
 ==================  Ein Unternehmen der UUNET-Gruppe  ==================

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 12:11     ` Johan Danielsson
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-07-14 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
> cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

The question is if it will still be summer when they are ready. How
about a combo-kit to make everyone happy? That would give you
something to wrap the mug in as well. No, you better make that a fur
hat. :-)

/Johan

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 13:15   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-07-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not coffee.

Not all.

I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
tea-drinkers...

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 13:35       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-07-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
> > cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)
>
> The question is if it will still be summer when they are ready. How
> about a combo-kit to make everyone happy? That would give you
> something to wrap the mug in as well. No, you better make that a fur
> hat. :-)

  Hey - I'd go for that!  As long as the bundle was < $40US

-Bill P.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 13:39     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-07-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, ding

Michael Huehne <Michael.Huehne@Germany.EU.net> writes:

>  >>>>>>> [...] What I had originally planned were some Quassia Gnus
>  >>>>>>> cups.  Well, mugs, rather.  Kinda big, solid, heavy mugs
>  >>>>>>> suitable for sufficient quantaties of tea and/or
>  >>>>>>> coffee. [...]
>
> Hi,
>
> I prefer a really big  mug (0,5 liter or  more) because nearly every
> standard cap   design might be  to small  for my head   (65 -  66 cm
> circumfence = XXXL for helmets).  A price up to 20 US$ including p&p
> would be fine for me.
>
> Gold printing on dark green might be a  cool style :-) But how about
> a well fitting saucer for  this mug project ?
>
> Most of my  mugs do not have  a saucer (but  one). Some  times I get
> some  chocolate  milk  rings  on my  papers  and  the  surface of my
> desktop. A saucer might protect your documents too ?

  Hmmm - not a bad idea, but it'll be one hell of a saucer.  Perhaps some
people don't have a desk that big. :)

>  	Kai> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not
>  	Kai> coffee.  Wouldn't it be nice to make a poll and add a
>  	Kai> section to the appendix of the Gnus manual along the
>  	Kai> lines of:
>
>  	Kai> Did you know that 75% of all Gnus users drink tea, not
>  	Kai> coffee?
>
> What about the minority drinking chocolate milk like me ?
>
> Is anybody else out there  not even drinking  tea  or coffee ?

  I typically drink ~1 gallon of milk per day (not chocolate though).
Perhaps a GNUS Millnium Udder is in order?

  I no longer drink caffeinated drinks (I had to quit cold turkey when I
realized I was drinking over a 12-pack a day[1]), and never have drunk tea
or coffee (vile stuff).

-Bill P.

[1] My company provides free soft drinks and snacks - we have hired 9 new
    people since I stopped drinking pop, and our monthly intake still
    hasn't gotten back up to where it was when I was. :)

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 13:49     ` Jason R Mastaler
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
> than fabric-woven caps?

No I don't think they are.  I think we should avoid two kinds of caps.
1) caps with a foam rubber bill covered with that shiny paint that
tends to peel off and crack 2) caps with plastic mesh anywhere on it.
Both kind of caps look really cheap and don't hold up to stress well.
Harder to wash too.  I like hard brimmed baseball style caps "one size
fits all" with an all cotton surface, or a cotton-polyester blend.

P.S. I don't own a pickup truck and have never been a guest on Rikki
Lake or of the military.  I just find caps convenient when playing
golf and tennis because of the bright sun and my long hair.  :-)

@ 1997-07-14 14:25     ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-14 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
> tea-drinkers...

"Tea, though ridiculed by those who are naturally coarse
in their nervous sensibilities...will always be the favored
beverage of the intellectual."

              Thomas DeQuincey (1775--1859)
              Confessions of an English Opium Eater

:-)

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 14:51       ` Michael Huehne
From: Michael Huehne @ 1997-07-14 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Huehne, Kai Grossjohann, ding

 	Bill> Michael Huehne <Michael.Huehne@Germany.EU.net> writes:

 >>>  Hi, I prefer a really big mug (0,5 liter or more) because nearly
 >>> every standard cap design might be to small for my head (65 - 66
 >>> cm circumfence = XXXL for helmets).  A price up to 20 US$
 >>> including p&p would be fine for me.  Gold printing on dark green
 >>> might be a cool style :-) But how about a well fitting saucer for
 >>> this mug project ?  Most of my mugs do not have a saucer (but
 >>> one). Some times I get some chocolate milk rings on my papers and
 >>> the surface of my desktop. A saucer might protect your documents
 >>> too ?

 	Bill> Hmmm - not a bad idea, but it'll be one hell of a
 	Bill> saucer.  Perhaps some people don't have a desk that
 	Bill> big. :)

Grin,

if  my desk would  be  big enough I  would  have a  place for my mug
without surrounding  paper  :-)

>From my point of view this is a typical: "What comes first problem?"

The missing  space  on my desk  or  the chocolate milk   rings on my
papers ?

Quite simple: The mug full of chocolate milk without a saucer :-))

 Kai> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not coffee.
 Kai> Wouldn't it be nice to make a poll and add a section to the
 Kai> appendix of the Gnus manual along the lines of:
 >>>
 Kai> Did you know that 75% of all Gnus users drink tea, not coffee?
 >>>  What about the minority drinking chocolate milk like me ?  Is
 >>> anybody else out there not even drinking tea or coffee ?

 	Bill> I typically drink ~1 gallon of milk per day (not
 	Bill> chocolate though).  Perhaps a GNUS Millnium Udder is in
 	Bill> order?

Whoa, thats very similar to 4 liter ... I am very impressed ! On hot
days I  am  satisfied with 2  liter of  milk  plus some coke  in the
evening during the dinner.

 	Bill> I no longer drink caffeinated drinks (I had to quit cold
 	Bill> turkey when I realized I was drinking over a 12-pack a
 	Bill> day[1]), and never have drunk tea or coffee (vile
 	Bill> stuff).

Marvelous ... your US cans are ~ 0.48 liter * 12 = ~ 5.5 liter.

 	Bill> -Bill P.

 	Bill> [1] My company provides free soft drinks and snacks - we
 	Bill> have hired 9 new people since I stopped drinking pop,
 	Bill> and our monthly intake still hasn't gotten back up to
 	Bill> where it was when I was. :)

Great service from  you company. We  get only mineral  water, coffee
and ~ 20 kinds of tea for free.

--

@ 1997-07-14 14:58         ` Dan Schmidt
From: Dan Schmidt @ 1997-07-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

| I've been pondering the design of the possible cup.  Howxabout
| something along the lines of:
|

|                         _    ___ _             _
|                          _ ___ __ ___  __    _ ___
| _____________________    __   _     ___    __  ___   __________________________
|                              _           ___     _
|                             _  _ __             _
|                             ___   __            _
|                                   __           _
|                                    _      _   _
|                                   _      _    _
|                                      _  _    _
|                                  __  ___
|                                 _   _ _     _
|                                _   _
|                              _    _
| Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
| _______________________    _   ________________________________________________
|                          __
|

| Print it out and wrap it around a mug and see how it looks.  :-)
|
| (The real version won't be ascii art, of course.)

Actually, I think the ASCII art would look really cool.

--
                 Dan Schmidt -> dfan@harmonixmusic.com, dfan@alum.mit.edu
Honest Bob & the                http://www2.thecia.net/users/dfan/

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 15:07     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Micha> Most of my mugs do not have a saucer (but one). Some times I
  Micha> get some chocolate milk rings on my papers and the surface of
  Micha> my desktop. A saucer might protect your documents too ?

But then Lars would have to send out spell-bound mugs and saucers
which would tend to gravitate towards each other in the Great Hills of
Important Paperwork on our desks, wouldn't he?

OTOH, imagine a saucer full of old chocolate milk slowly gravitating
to the bottom of one of the Great Hills (or rather, a Great Hill
growing even greater over the saucer).  That would make for some real
interesting biotopes, don't you think?

I've already done some experiments with bottles of chocolate milk but
grew bored before the inhabitants started to crawl out of it.  So it
wasn't all that interesting.

kai "this document only genuine with Real Chocolate Milk Rings"
--

@ 1997-07-14 15:27       ` Edvard Majakari
From: Edvard Majakari @ 1997-07-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >> I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
 >> tea-drinkers...

 sb> Count me as another pro-mug coffee drinker.

Shouldn't someone make a web page (Hmm... :) where would be a form
and we'd see whether we want a cap (ungh, I won't say what I think of
caps :), a mug or an umbrella. I'm a pro-mug; Gnussian mug I could
drink splendid black, ceylon tea mixture or some hot chocolate milk
from - MMmm. :)

--
//Ed               GSM: 040 5960810     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/~ed/

Dear friends, let us love one another; for love has its origin in God, and
 every one who loves has become a child of God and is beginning to know God.
 -- 1st John 4:7

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 15:28         ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-07-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, ding

Michael Huehne <Michael.Huehne@Germany.EU.net> writes:

> Bill> [1] My company provides free soft drinks and snacks - we have hired
> Bill> 9 new people since I stopped drinking pop, and our monthly intake
> Bill> still hasn't gotten back up to where it was when I was. :)
>
> Great service from you company. We get only mineral water, coffee and ~
> 20 kinds of tea for free.

  Tea - gack.  The engineers typically do the shopping, so we have
incredible amounts of, to put it lightly, crap.  Ding-dongs, coke,
spaghettios, pudding, M&Ms, anything that strikes the fancy.  The fact that
we typically make the shopping trips during lunch _before_ we eat doesn't
help matters. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 15:31         ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1997-07-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

    Lars> A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm,
    Lars> gold.  Unless several different colors won't be more
    Lars> expensive, and we'll see about color printing and stuff.
    Lars> I'll have to ask around a bit.

Can it be non-metallic, so those of us who sometimes have to reheat
their coffee (or tea) can stick the thing in the microwave?

--
Joe Hildebrand
Senior Technical Architect

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 15:45     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

  ajc> [...] I still haven't used the vi mug that arrived a few weeks
  ajc> ago (which has a vi command summary on the side - we need an
  ajc> emacs one, although it might have to be one of those large
  ajc> Bavarian beer mug thingies in order to fit the "quick
  ajc> reference" on it ;) [...]

How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of the mug?
Gives an entirely new meaning to "reading in the tea leaves"[*],
doesn't it?

[*] English is not my native language.  I'm not at all sure about the
    correctness of that idiom.  But I hope you'll understand.  What is
    the correct idiom, btw?

John: How do I list empty groups, too?
ajc:  (stares deep into the mug)
      Hm, the tea leaves tell me that you have to turn north, jump up
      and down three times, and cry out loud "I know where my towel
      is!"
      When you're satisfied that Lars the Great has heard you, you may
      type L to receive His response.

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 16:50     ` Danny Siu
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Danny Siu @ 1997-07-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

  Lars> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
  Lars> than fabric-woven caps?

The fabric-woven cap definitely looks cooler even if it doesn't feel as cool
as the plastic one.  ;-)

--
                                                                ^..^
 '/..\"                                                        ( oo )  )~

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 17:58     ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1997-07-14 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    larsi> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven
    larsi> caps cooler than fabric-woven caps?

Once upon a time I intended to look into this, but never got the
time.

The best type of caps are 6-panel cloth caps with an adjustable band
at the back (leather strap with a buckle; the adjustable plastic ones
then to breakdown over time).

Take a look at the pics at: <http://www.jplerc.org/jpl.htm> for the
caps.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 18:01     ` Steven L Baur
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-07-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-07-14 18:37       ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-07-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JRM> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
 >> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
 >> than fabric-woven caps?

 JRM> No I don't think they are.  I think we should avoid two kinds of
 JRM> caps.
 JRM> 1) caps with a foam rubber bill covered with that shiny paint
 JRM>    that tends to peel off and crack
 JRM> 2) caps with plastic mesh anywhere on it.

Only the propeller should be plastic.

--
Len

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 18:48       ` Rajappa Iyer
From: Rajappa Iyer @ 1997-07-14 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[ This is getting a little off-topic, but... ;-) ]

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
>
> > I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
> > tea-drinkers...
>
> "Tea, though ridiculed by those who are naturally coarse
> in their nervous sensibilities...will always be the favored
> beverage of the intellectual."
>
>               Thomas DeQuincey (1775--1859)
>               Confessions of an English Opium Eater

>From an old article:

[begin excerpt]
Subject:      Re: Public Space (was Re: The Conscience of the Eye)
From:         rosebowl@nwu.edu (Cognito Jones)
Date:         1996/11/15
Newsgroups:   rec.arts.books

In article <56ik2k$r6c@jeeves.usfca.edu>, jennifer@web.usfca.edu
(jennifer) wrote:

>  another obbook: _Communitas_
>  jennifer

Two others - Jane Jacobs, Life & Death of Great Cities (from memory - is
that title right?) has a good discussion of public spaces.

And there is a book called The Great Good Place that deals with the
subject. Includes coffeehouses, and was my first exposure to the Women's
Petition Against Coffee...The book, by Ray Oldenburg, prof of psychology &
contributor to Psychology Today, is about "third places," ie, gathering
places outside home & work. He devotes a chapter to coffee houses, and
refers to the Petition as follows:

 :   One of the most important of coffee house rules was
 :   *not* posted. Women were excluded from the
 :   premises...Scarcely two decades after it first
 :   appeared and emerged as exclusively male [late 1600s
 :   in England], the coffee house became the target of The
 :   Women's Petition Against Coffee....
 :
 :   Until recently the language of the Women's Petition
 :   was considered to be so obscene and vulgar as to
 :   preclude its printing....Five of those ten
 :   paragraphs....made the claim that the "base, black,
 :   thick, nasty bitter stinking, nauseous Puddle water"
 :   causes impotence in the male. Contending that
 :   Englishment were once justly esteemed the "Ablest
 :   Performers" in Christendom, the document proclaimed a
 :   new & deplorable state of affairs as brought about by
 :   coffee:
 :
 :       But to our unspeakable Grief, we find of late a very
 :       sensible *Decay* of that true *Old English Viguor*; our
 :       Gallants being every was so *Frenchified*, that they
 :       are become meer Cock-sparrows, fluttering things that
 :       come *Sa fa*, with a world of Fury, but are not able
 :       to *stand* to it, and in the very first Charge fall
 :       down *flat* before us. Never did Men wear greater
 :       Breeches, or carry less in them of any Mettle
 :       whatsoever.

(The following  excerpt from the "Women's Petition Against Coffee" appears
in Ray, O. & Ksir, C. _Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior,_ fifth edition,
page 216.  The reference is to Meyer, H: Old English coffee houses,
Emmaus, PA, 1954: The Rodale Press.)

"Our Countrymens pallates are become as _Fanatical_ as their Brains; how
else is't possible they should _Apostatize_ from the good old primitive way
of Ale-drinking, to run a _Whoreing_ after such variety of distructive
Foreign Liquors, to trifle away their time, scald their _Chops,_ and spend
their _Money,_ all for a little _base,_ _black,_ _thick,_ _nasty_ _bitter_
stinking,_ _nauseaous_ Puddle water..."

Hope this stirs things up....

CJ
[end excerpt]

;-)
--
Rajappa Iyer <rsi@lucent.com>		#include <std_disclaimer.h>
	They also surf who only stand on the waves.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 20:25     ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-07-14 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I'd rather have that cup, but for me a cap would be useful for
rainy days, as well as the sunny ones. A cap works perfectly as to
protect my glasses from raindrops! It's most likely more useful than
to protect them from sun (especially when biking).

--
drug, n:
	A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 20:28       ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-07-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> P.S. I don't own a pickup truck and have never been a guest on Rikki
> Lake or of the military.  I just find caps convenient when playing
> golf and tennis because of the bright sun and my long hair.  :-)

Caps are almost necessary when painting a house in warm
weather. Especially if your hair is kinda long. It helps to keep hair
out of your face, as well as stopping the sweat from dropping all over
your face. :-)

--
Westheimer's Discovery:
	A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 22:12       ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1997-07-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

sb> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:
>> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>>> All the pro-mug people here seem to drink tea, not coffee.

>> Not all.

>> I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
>> tea-drinkers...

sb> Count me as another pro-mug coffee drinker.

Me Too(tm) :P

(I do have a fair bit of tea at home, but it doesn't really compete
with the percolator I share with a coworker here in my office ;)

--
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -        >> see X-headers >>       ajc@bing.wattle.id.au
       UH-OH!!  I put on ``GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN COLLISIONS of the 50's''

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 13:08       ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1997-07-15 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> > I probably drink enough coffee to make up for all of you silly
> > tea-drinkers...
>
> Count me as another pro-mug coffee drinker.

I drink both. The biggest problem with coffee would be size. There is
not much room to print that funny logo on an expresso-cup. We are
talking real coffee are we?

Jan

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 14:18             ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-07-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:
>
> > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> >
> > > Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
> >
> > What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
> > that somewhere along the line.
>
> It's the Gnus motto.  It says so in the manual, so it must be true.
> (It's in the "Compatibility" section.)

Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.

> It's the poem _The Bridge_ by Charles Reznikoff -- in full.

Cap, mug or both, I'm buying.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 15:31         ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1997-07-15 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> "Jan" == Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

    Jan> I drink both. The biggest problem with coffee would be
    Jan> size. There is not much room to print that funny logo on an
    Jan> expresso-cup. We are talking real coffee are we?

Size doesn't matter.

BTW, I too am pro-coffee, although not anti-tea.  I tend to drink tea
more as a social event, and coffee when I really need to power down
the caffeine.  In a pinch, one can drink expresso from a large mug,
assuming one has a large enough room (or at least one with padded
walls) so as to avoid vibration-induced personal injury.  I wonder if
coffee injuries are covered by our workman's comp insurance?

--
Joe Hildebrand
Senior Technical Architect
Research and Development
Interlink Group, Inc.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-15 16:39     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-15 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

| That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
| cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

Hear hear! My Sun Microsystems mug will hold until x-mas (though it
has one crack..)

	/andy

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 16:41           ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-15 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@mindspring.com> wrote:

| Can it be non-metallic, so those of us who sometimes have to reheat
| their coffee (or tea) can stick the thing in the microwave?

Naah think of the fireworks that you will be able to watch while
zapping your drinks..

	/a

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 20:18               ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-15 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.

Search for it in the info pages Index.

==================

File: gnus, Node: Compatibility, Next: Conformity, Prev: Why?, Up: History

Compatibility
-------------

Gnus was designed to be fully compatible with GNUS.  Almost all key
bindings have been kept.  More key bindings have been added, of course,
but only in one or two obscure cases have old bindings been changed.

Our motto is:
                         In a cloud bones of steel.

All commands have kept their names.  Some internal functions have
changed their names.

The `gnus-uu' package has changed drastically. *See Decoding
Articles::.

One major compatibility question is the presence of several summary
buffers.  All variables relevant while reading a group are buffer-local
to the summary buffer they belong in.  Although many important variables
have their values copied into their global counterparts whenever a
command is executed in the summary buffer, this change might lead to
incorrect values being used unless you are careful.

All code that relies on knowledge of GNUS internals will probably fail.
To take two examples: Sorting `gnus-newsrc-alist' (or changing it in any
way, as a matter of fact) is strictly verboten.  Gnus maintains a hash
table that points to the entries in this alist (which speeds up many
functions), and changing the alist directly will lead to peculiar
results.

Old hilit19 code does not work at all.  In fact, you should probably
remove all hilit code from all Gnus hooks (`gnus-group-prepare-hook' and
`gnus-summary-prepare-hook').  Gnus provides various integrated
functions for highlighting.  These are faster and more accurate.  To
make life easier for everybody, Gnus will by default remove all hilit
calls from all hilit hooks.  Uncleanliness!  Away!

Packages like `expire-kill' will no longer work.  As a matter of fact,
you should probably remove all old GNUS packages (and other code) when
you start using Gnus.  More likely than not, Gnus already does what you
have written code to make GNUS do.  (Snicker.)

Even though old methods of doing things are still supported, only the
new methods are documented in this manual.  If you detect a new method
of doing something while reading this manual, that does not mean you
have to stop doing it the old way.

Gnus understands all GNUS startup files.

Overall, a casual user who hasn't written much code that depends on GNUS
internals should suffer no problems.  If problems occur, please let me
know by issuing that magic command `M-x gnus-bug'.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16  1:17                 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-07-16  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.
>
> Search for it in the info pages Index.
>
> ==================
>
> File: gnus, Node: Compatibility, Next: Conformity, Prev: Why?, Up: History
>
> Compatibility
> -------------

[...]

Thanks.
--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16  9:50           ` Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
From: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen @ 1997-07-16  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

DS> Actually, I think the ASCII art would look really cool.

Especially in gold, yes :)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-16 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of the mug?

:-)

Is that at all possible?  I'll ask around while getting quotes for
caps.

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16 19:40         ` Mats L÷fdahl
From: Mats L÷fdahl @ 1997-07-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
> > How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of the
> > mug?
>
> :-)
>
> Is that at all possible?

Heck, I own a "Norwegian mug" (bought in Sweden, of course) that has
the _handle_ on the inside... :-)

--
Mats L÷fdahl                                + Voice: +1 (415) 424-4001
Advanced Technology Center, O/H1-52, B/254G +

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16 22:02           ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-07-16 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Mats> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
 >> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
 >>
 >> > How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of
 >> > the mug?
 >>
 >> :-)
 >>
 >> Is that at all possible?

 Mats> Heck, I own a "Norwegian mug" (bought in Sweden, of course)
 Mats> that has the _handle_ on the inside... :-)

Can Quassia Gnus Klein Bottles be far behind?

--
Len

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16 23:03             ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-07-16 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leonard Blanks <ltb@haruspex.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Can Quassia Gnus Klein Bottles be far behind?

They should also be large enough for everyone. :-)

/Johan

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-17  6:04           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-07-17  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>>
>> > How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of the
>> > mug?

>> Is that at all possible?

> Heck, I own a "Norwegian mug" (bought in Sweden, of course) that has
> the _handle_ on the inside... :-)

Keep this up, and the next version of Gnus will have a "Swede
Detector",... with interesting results.  Have you put it on the TODO
list yet, larsi...?

- Steinar

* Re: Qua Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-17  9:10         ` Frank D. Cringle
From: Frank D. Cringle @ 1997-07-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> How about printing the Gnus reference card on the *inside* of the mug?
>
>:-)
>
>Is that at all possible?  I'll ask around while getting quotes for
>caps.

If the reference card won't fit, how about "No Gnus is horrible Gnus"
on the inside base.

--
Frank Cringle,      fdc@cliwe.ping.de
voice: (+49 2304) 467101; fax: 943357

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-18  7:22             ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-18  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Schmidt, ding

/ Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@rlyeh.net> wrote:

| DS> Actually, I think the ASCII art would look really cool.
|
| Especially in gold, yes :)

On second thoghts, why not green on a black background, honouring the
old text-terminals with the same appearance.. (Hmm quassia for me is
green.. probbaly due to some association to cucumber, but naah keep to
gold)

	/Andy