* [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-15  5:45 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-04-15  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Prompted by Adam's message, I tried an experiment.
I pulled the latest rpm package from Fedora for the js library,
and installed it, and it worked.
Emboldend by this, I pulled down the development package,
installed the headers, rebuilt everything,
now using just the command make rather than make
with a bunch of arguments, and built,
and ran jsrt through its paces, and it worked.

ftp://rpmfind.net
login anonymous
cd /linux/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/i386/os/Packages/m
get mozjs24-24.2.0-3.fc21.i686.rpm
get mozjs24-devel-24.2.0-3.fc21.i686.rpm

Notice it is exactly the same version we are using from source.
So the debian problem is perhaps debian specific,
and not systemic.

At this point I am tempted to remove all the js I built from source,
as it takes up almost 2 gig.

So ... this is an interesting, and I hope helpful, data point.
Edbrowse works on Fedora.
Too bad we haven't convinced redhat to carry edbrowse yet.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-15 11:10 ` Charles Hallenbeck
From: Charles Hallenbeck @ 2014-04-15 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

I just noticed that on my archlinux system, the default js library is js24, and so I tried an experiment. In the src
directoryh of edbrowse, I did a make clean, then make, and it compiled and linked without any complaints. I think that's
cool! I had also just done a git pull, so it's the latest 3.5.1 source I'm using.

--

 Chuck in Ghent, northeast of Hudson on the Hudson.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-15 12:48 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-04-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> So the debian problem is perhaps debian specific,
> and not systemic.

Yep.  It's been working on Gentoo with their mozjs 24 package for as
long as we've been working with mozjs 24.
It works out of the box on three distros now.  This is definitely a
Debian-specific issue.  I'd like to know what's wrong, because they're so
popular, and they do package edbrowse.

-- Chris

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-15 13:32   ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-04-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Hallenbeck; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 07:10:18AM -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> I just noticed that on my archlinux system, the default js library is js24, and so I tried an experiment. In the src
> directoryh of edbrowse, I did a make clean, then make, and it compiled and linked without any complaints. I think that's
> cool! I had also just done a git pull, so it's the latest 3.5.1 source I'm using.

That's good to hear. At least we can be fairly sure it's not something we're doing.
The only thing I can think of is that it's a Debian-specific patch or specific
build flags which don't match how we're building edbrowse,
however until we know more about how the debian package is built it's just
speculation.

As a long-time Debian user it's a shame for me that I can't just build against
the packaged version of mozjs. It's also slightly strange that Debian has a
(broken) mozjs 26 package as well. I'm not sure what this is based on but I'd
quite like to find out.

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-21 13:13   ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2014-04-21 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Brannon, Edbrowse-dev

Hi,

Well you won't believe it, but yes, I can work fully on edbrowse
packaging now! Sorry for the delay but I had emergencies (books, change
flat, etc) and my Debian sid didn't 9ork anymore so far.

My 1st question is: where are the changes for JS in Edbrowse? Is there a
new release? Is it in the snapshot? Are changes in 4.10? If yes I'll try
again compiling a 4.10, it's this I see on the website. Otherwise I wait
for your info. I have already a ready package for 4.10 if it contains JS
fixes.
Be sure now, edbrowse is my priority of next weeks to get a package in
Debian which works with JS!

Best regards,

Le 15/04/2014 14:48, Chris Brannon a écrit :
> Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> So the debian problem is perhaps debian specific,
>> and not systemic.
> Yep.  It's been working on Gentoo with their mozjs 24 package for as
> long as we've been working with mozjs 24.
> It works out of the box on three distros now.  This is definitely a
> Debian-specific issue.  I'd like to know what's wrong, because they're so
> popular, and they do package edbrowse.
>
> -- Chris

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

accelibreinfo, votre partenaire en informatique adaptée aux déficients visuels

Mail: texou@accelibreinfo.eu

Site Web: http://www.accelibreinfo.eu

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] debian and redhat
@ 2014-04-22 14:01     ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-04-22 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 03:13:12PM +0200, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Well you won't believe it, but yes, I can work fully on edbrowse packaging
> now! Sorry for the delay but I had emergencies (books, change flat, etc) and
> my Debian sid didn't 9ork anymore so far.

That's ok, glad to hear you're able to work on it again.

> My 1st question is: where are the changes for JS in Edbrowse? Is there a new
> release? Is it in the snapshot? Are changes in 4.10? If yes I'll try again
> compiling a 4.10, it's this I see on the website. Otherwise I wait for your
> info. I have already a ready package for 4.10 if it contains JS fixes.

The current js-related stuff is only in the git repository as far as I know.
We are awaiting the fix for Debian before we make our next release as currently
the code cannot be compiled under Debian and come out with a working program
using packaged libraries.

The git repo is available at:
https://github.com/CMB/edbrowse

> Be sure now, edbrowse is my priority of next weeks to get a package in
> Debian which works with JS!
That's great news.

Cheers,
Adam.