* [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-19 15:52 Erwin
From: Erwin @ 2018-07-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Hi
my version of edbrowse : the last from git (3.7.4)
have retried with firefox and edbrowse :
- in firefox, a capcha beetween "To make sure weʼve got it right." (after the retype password form) and the checkbox "i agree..."
- in edbrowse, no capcha, only the checkbox
But, after an ub, i see line 376 :
"<div class="g-recaptcha" data-sitekey="6Ld-6gYTAAAAAAA5UVSJ43VfJNw5JB_iBpENubfg"></div>"
Erwin

* [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-20 14:48 ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-07-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Well I made several small fixes, inspired by this site; every site has something to teach us.
The submit button is disabled, and is only enabled if you agree to the terms, so that is working.
Not sure how hard I want to work to get the captcha to appear, cause even if it does, we still can't use it.
You may have to have help with the signup process, then we see if we can use it.
If you're like me, and you may not be, but if you are, you don't want to do web-based anything.
Even if it works with edbrowse, it would be awkward.
Try to access your fastmail via pop3 or imap.
That's what I do with gmail, I fetch my mail via pop3 most of the time, using edbrowse as a simple email client,
and occasionally I dip into gmail through imap, to check my spam folder, and clear it out, and clear out the trash, and other silly chores.
The imap interface is improved of late, so you can create new folders, delete folders, bulk move email, etc.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-20 15:58   ` Chuck Hallenbeck
From: Chuck Hallenbeck @ 2018-07-20 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: edbrowse-dev

Hi Karl,

My daughter with her Windows laptop created an account for me on
fastmail.com successfully.  The kapcha took a form I have never seen
before.  Instead of an image to copy to an input field,  it took the
form of a series of statements to click on, each of them reading:

I am not a robot

When she clicked the submit button, it welcomed me by name, "Hello
Chuck, Welcome to Fastmail ... " That's the good news.

On my linux desktop, I entered:

edbrowse www.fastmail.net

and got their opening page again. Selecting the Log In link this
time instead of the Sign Up link, I got to a page that said "3 lines
were replaced by line 1" and the page before me was one line long,
with no printable characters on that line.

I thyped qt on that line, returned to my shell prompt, and once
more typed:

edbrowse www.fastmail.net

and this time it opened the page where I had previously typed qt.
In other words, it bypassed the opening screen.

In order to test sending and receiving mail using the account I
had created, I had to know the format of the smtp and imap servers
(fastmail no longer supports the pop protocol) so I did a google
search for:  fastmail smtp server name

I reached fastmail documentation and found what I think is a
showstopper.

I cannot use my account password to connect to their servers. Instead,
I need to create and use an "app password".  It turns out I can only
create an app password for an app on their list of supported apps,
and of course that list does not contain any Linux apps: no mutt,
no alpine, and of course no edbrowse.

I think I have run this into the ground, and will have to look
elsewhere for an alternative to my gmail address.  Too bad. The
fastmail I knew and loved had lots of nice features and was totally
accessible.  I was mistaken to think their upgrade was now accessible
just because their opening page seemed to be.

I wonder how long it will be before google requires the use of an
"app password"?  To paraphrase our fearless leader:

HEY RUSSIA, IF YOU'RE LISTENING, FIND ME AN ACCESSIBLE EMAIL SERVICE
THAT LETS ME USE WHATEVER APP AND OS i WANT!

Chuck

--
Here too, In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-20 23:44     ` Dominique Martinet
From: Dominique Martinet @ 2018-07-20 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Hallenbeck; +Cc: Karl Dahlke, edbrowse-dev

Chuck Hallenbeck wrote on Fri, Jul 20, 2018:
> My daughter with her Windows laptop created an account for me on
> fastmail.com successfully.  The kapcha took a form I have never seen
> before.  Instead of an image to copy to an input field,  it took the
> form of a series of statements to click on, each of them reading:
>
> I am not a robot

These are google reCAPTCHA, most people only see this box... As an
annoying user I get various image challenges (for example displays a
grid of images and pick the ones with cars, street signs, store fronts
etc)
There also are audio challenges which aren't easy either, it's a track
full of white noise and someone speaking difficult words with a strong
accent -- I just tried two and I can't say I understood what they said,
so maybe I'm a robot?

Technically this is a frame that is created by js, filled by js, and
when yu're done clicking stuff in it fills in one of the forms field of
the parent page by js.
I'm not sure we want to spend time making this work with edbrowse,
honestly, it sounds easier to get help like you did unfortunately :/

> On my linux desktop, I entered:
>
> edbrowse www.fastmail.net
>
> and got their opening page again. Selecting the Log In link this
> time instead of the Sign Up link, I got to a page that said "3 lines
> were replaced by line 1" and the page before me was one line long,
> with no printable characters on that line.

The 3 lines before that one empty line are:
Sorry, your browser does not support the technologies needed to use our web interface.
Please make sure you have the latest version, and that JavaScript is enabled.
{Learn more about our browser requirements}.

Just before that I see an uncaught exception: uncaught throw: TypeError:
cannot read property 'replace' of undefined (line 1)
so I think something in our js didn't please them...

> In order to test sending and receiving mail using the account I
> had created, I had to know the format of the smtp and imap servers
> (fastmail no longer supports the pop protocol) so I did a google
> search for:  fastmail smtp server name
>
> I reached fastmail documentation and found what I think is a
> showstopper.
>
> I cannot use my account password to connect to their servers. Instead,
> I need to create and use an "app password".  It turns out I can only
> create an app password for an app on their list of supported apps,
> and of course that list does not contain any Linux apps: no mutt,
> no alpine, and of course no edbrowse.

I think there is no such thing as app-specific requirement. They say it
works with thunderbird and there is no magic there, so
mutt/alpine/edbrowse should work if we can get to the app password -
it's just a password specific to imap/smtp that they call that way to
differenciate it with the web interface password.

I'll admit I didn't try though, I stopped when they started asking for
my phone number and my curiosity stops when I have to give personal
information to these companies, but if you're willing to try maybe you
can ask your daughter to generate that password for you as well. I
believe that once it's setup it should work for classic imap/smtp and
shouldn't change

--
Dominique

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-21  0:39       ` Chuck Hallenbeck
From: Chuck Hallenbeck @ 2018-07-21  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Martinet; +Cc: Chuck Hallenbeck, Karl Dahlke, edbrowse-dev

Hi Dominique,

> Chuck Hallenbeck wrote on Fri, Jul 20, 2018:
>> My daughter with her Windows laptop created an account for me on
>> fastmail.com successfully.  The kapcha took a form I have never seen
>> before.  Instead of an image to copy to an input field,  it took the
>> form of a series of statements to click on, each of them reading:
>>
>> I am not a robot
>
> These are google reCAPTCHA, most people only see this box... As an
> annoying user I get various image challenges (for example displays a
> grid of images and pick the ones with cars, street signs, store fronts
> etc)

Amazing. I had no idea.

> There also are audio challenges which aren't easy either, it's a track
> full of white noise and someone speaking difficult words with a strong
> accent -- I just tried two and I can't say I understood what they said,

Me too. I often fail to hear them correctly.

> so maybe I'm a robot?

I doubt it. Robots are not that helpful.

That's a typo. I entered www.fastmail.com, actually.

>> and got their opening page again. Selecting the Log In link this
>> time instead of the Sign Up link, I got to a page that said "3 lines
>> were replaced by line 1" and the page before me was one line long,
>> with no printable characters on that line.
>
> The 3 lines before that one empty line are:
> Sorry, your browser does not support the technologies needed to use our web interface.
> Please make sure you have the latest version, and that JavaScript is enabled.
> {Learn more about our browser requirements}.

There was a time not too many years ago when messages like the above
were much more blunt, often ending with "It really sucks being you!"

> I think there is no such thing as app-specific requirement. They say it
> works with thunderbird and there is no magic there, so
> mutt/alpine/edbrowse should work if we can get to the app password -
> it's just a password specific to imap/smtp that they call that way to
> differenciate it with the web interface password.

interesting.

> I'll admit I didn't try though, I stopped when they started asking for
> my phone number and my curiosity stops when I have to give personal
> information to these companies, but if you're willing to try maybe you
> can ask your daughter to generate that password for you as well. I
> believe that once it's setup it should work for classic imap/smtp and
> shouldn't change

That might be worth a try.  I appreciate your attention, and
suggestions. Thanks.

Chuck

--
Here too, In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-19 14:03   ` Chuck Hallenbeck
From: Chuck Hallenbeck @ 2018-07-19 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: edbrowse-dev

> Well we need to figure out why that section of code does not appear, but in the meantime, try this: unbrowse, remove the word disabled, browse, and go.

I did that, but it was no good. However, when I unbrowsed again to
examine that area, the word Disabled" was replaced with a request to
supply the verification code.

Chuck

--
Here too, In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Crescent (47% of Full)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

* [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-19 13:27 ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-07-19 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Well we need to figure out why that section of code does not appear, but in the meantime, try this: unbrowse, remove the word disabled, browse, and go.
Not the first time I've changed html source, or even js source, to get around edbrowse limitations, or website issues, or both.
A bit ironic, since a robot could do the same thing, completely bypassing the captcha.

Karl Dahlke

* [edbrowse-dev] fastmail
@ 2018-07-19 10:06 Erwin
From: Erwin @ 2018-07-19 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

hello
I have tried with firefox and edbrowse'
- first, there is a capcha
- and a checkbox "I agree to the terms of service, including no sending of bulk or unsolicited email."
both don't appear  in edbrowse
in firefox, the submit button is disabled until the checkbox is not checked
Erwin