* Meta-conjecture about MLTT
@ 2016-09-11 20:47 Martin Escardo
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Martin Escardo @ 2016-09-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

In MLTT with equality reflection, we cannot distinguish isomorphic types.

There was some agreement regarding this in previous discussions here in
this list in the past (I think).

But I don't think we actually saw a proof (have we?). As far as I
understand, we only saw that natural attempts to distinguish examples of
isomorphic types fail. There was some invokation of realizability models
to try to justify this. But I am not (yet) convinced by the arguments I
have seen so far.

Nevertheless, I am convinced that equality reflection in MLTT cannot be
used to distinguish any particular pair of isomorphic types. (Prove me
wrong.)

The meta-task is to either produce two isomorphic types in an empty
context, together with a property that one of them provably has but the
other doesn't, or to show that this is impossible.

I am strongly inclined to think that this is impossible: that so-called
extensional MLTT cannot distinguish isomorphic types.

In particular, equality-reflection has nothing whatsoever to do 5with
elementwise equality.

Of course, what makes this difficult is that MLTT with equality
reflection is inconsistent with univalence.

Martin