Announcements and discussions for Gnus, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
@ 2021-01-16 18:51 physiculus
  2021-01-16 20:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-16 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus

Hello,
i reconfigured my gmail account from splitting INBOX to All Mails.
The reason was duplicated mails in folder INBOX IMPORTANT STARRED.
I read about it and one solution should be the change from folder INBOX
to All Mails.
But after that change splitting is not working properly anymore.
Most mail are not splitted automatic. If i respool, it works ?? Strange.

I dont know what to do. Perhaps someone has an idea.

here is my config:
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(
(nnimap "GMail"
                                              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                              (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
                                              (nnimap-user "xxx@googlemail.com")
                                              (nnimap-stream ssl)
                                              (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
                                              (nnimap-expunge 'immediately)
                                              ;;(nnimap-record-commands t)
                                              (nnimap-split-methods default)
                                              (spam-autodetect-recheck-messages nil)
                                              (nnimap-split-download-body t)
                                              (spam-process ((spam spam-use-bogofilter)
                                                             (ham spam-use-bogofilter)))
                                              (nnmail-split-fancy
                                               (&
                                                (&
                                                 (: spam-split "regex-spam" 'spam-use-regex-headers)
                                                 (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
                                                 (: spam-split)
                                                 )
                                                (|
                                                 (any ".*xxx@haus\\.de" "Linz")
                                                 (any ".*xxx@haus\\.de" "Linz")
                                                 (any ".*xxx@haus\\.de" "Linz")
                                                 (any ".*xxx@gmail\\.com" "Linz")
						                         (any ".*xxx@haus\\.de" "Linz")
                                                 )
                                                (&
                                                 (any ".*emacs-orgmode@gnu\\.org" "OrgDigest")
                                                 (any ".*info-gnus-english@gnu\\.org" "gnus")
                                                 (any ".*n3\\.nabble\\.com" "notmuch")
                                                 (any ".*mu-discuss@googlegroups\\.com" "mu")
                                                 (any ".*pinterest\\.com" "Pinterest")
                                                 (any ".*bbdb-user-request@nongnu\\.org" "bbdb")
                                                 (any ".*emms-help-request@gnu\\.org" "emms")
                                                 (any ".*ebay\\.com" "EBay")
                                                 (any ".*ebay\\.de" "EBay")
                                                 (any ".*@correctiv\\.org" "Correctiv")
                                                 ))
                                               "INBOX")
                                              ;;(nnimap-split-methods default)
                                              (get-new-mail t)
                                              (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-imap)
                                              )
)

Regards
Paul

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-16 18:51 Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten") physiculus
@ 2021-01-16 20:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
  2021-01-17 14:17   ` physiculus
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-01-16 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> i reconfigured my gmail account from splitting INBOX to All Mails.
> The reason was duplicated mails in folder INBOX IMPORTANT STARRED.
> I read about it and one solution should be the change from folder INBOX
> to All Mails.
> But after that change splitting is not working properly anymore.
> Most mail are not splitted automatic. If i respool, it works ?? Strange.
>
> I dont know what to do. Perhaps someone has an idea.
>
> here is my config:
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(
> (nnimap "GMail"
>                                               (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                               (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
>                                               (nnimap-user "xxx@googlemail.com")
>                                               (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                               (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
>                                               (nnimap-expunge 'immediately)
>                                               ;;(nnimap-record-commands t)
>                                               (nnimap-split-methods default)

If you've got split methods set to `default', won't it ignore your fancy
splitting? I thought this was supposed to be set to `nnimap-split-fancy'.


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-16 20:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
@ 2021-01-17 14:17   ` physiculus
  2021-01-18  4:53     ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-17 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
Hello,
yes thanks i know that.
But unfortunately after changing it, the problem remains.
For a further detailed look i will describe a bit more.

Usually i use folders on my gmail imap account to split incoming mails.
Currently most splitting works in that way, that the article is shown in
the new folder. Therefore i think, that initial splitting works.
BUT
After the split, a look inside gmail All Mails shows the original message
AND the same message exists in the new folder.
So i think, that gnus not move the message, gnus copy the message.
Therefore i had to press B DEL inside the all mails folder to delete
this message.
BUT after a new refresh pressing g the message is there again
(sometimes).
Finally i think, that something inside gnus splitting process is not
completely move the message.

Hope my problem is described a bit clearer now.

PS: I use emacs 28 on fedora 32.

Regards
Poul


> physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>> i reconfigured my gmail account from splitting INBOX to All Mails.
>> The reason was duplicated mails in folder INBOX IMPORTANT STARRED.
>> I read about it and one solution should be the change from folder INBOX
>> to All Mails.
>> But after that change splitting is not working properly anymore.
>> Most mail are not splitted automatic. If i respool, it works ?? Strange.
>>
>> I dont know what to do. Perhaps someone has an idea.
>>
>> here is my config:
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(
>> (nnimap "GMail"
>>                                               (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                                               (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
>>                                               (nnimap-user "xxx@googlemail.com")
>>                                               (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>                                               (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
>>                                               (nnimap-expunge 'immediately)
>>                                               ;;(nnimap-record-commands t)
>>                                               (nnimap-split-methods default)
>
> If you've got split methods set to `default', won't it ignore your fancy
> splitting? I thought this was supposed to be set to `nnimap-split-fancy'.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> info-gnus-english mailing list
> info-gnus-english@gnu.org
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-17 14:17   ` physiculus
@ 2021-01-18  4:53     ` Bob Newell
  2021-01-18 13:42       ` Lars-Johan Liman
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-01-18  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aloha,

If I understand what you're saying correctly, this is a quirk
(feature?) of gmail. EVERYTHING (except Trash and Spam) is
ALWAYS in the "All Mail" folder. You can apply labels all you
wish and it will never, ever go out of "All Mail" unless you
delete it altogether by sending to Trash or Spam.

What I do is simply leave it alone. There is no harm done at
all.

In fact I leverage it to my advantage when creating org-mode
links to a mail item. I use an advising function to ensure
that the link points to the "All Mail" entry --- then no
matter how I relabel the mail item, the org-mode link will
always work (unless the mail is moved to Trash or Spam).

I have often thought about moving away from Gmail but to me
the All Mail concept is a killer feature.

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-18  4:53     ` Bob Newell
@ 2021-01-18 13:42       ` Lars-Johan Liman
  2021-01-18 18:17         ` Bob Newell
  2021-01-19  9:43         ` physiculus
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-01-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: info-gnus-english

(At the risk of being a besserwisser ... apologies in advance.)

Could your problem stem from what I have been told and believe to be
true, that Gmail doesn't have the concept of "mailboxes" or "folders"?

AFAIK, your mail in Gmail is just one big pool off messages, to which
Gmail assigns tags. It will tag the messages that you consider to be in
your folder "inbox" with the tag "inbox", and the ones in your folder
"work" with the tag "work".

When you access your mail using IMAP (which, as a protocol, relies on
the concept of mail folders) and you ask to have your "work" folder
listed, it will filter out the messages with the tag "work" and show
them to you, but they are still in the big pool.

So, to Gmail, a "folder" is just "a filtered view of the pool, according
to some combination of tags".

With this as background, is your problem possible to explain?

				Best regards,
				  /Lars-Johan Liman

bobnewell@bobnewell.net 2021-01-17 18:53 [-1000]:
> Aloha,

> If I understand what you're saying correctly, this is a quirk
> (feature?) of gmail. EVERYTHING (except Trash and Spam) is
> ALWAYS in the "All Mail" folder. You can apply labels all you
> wish and it will never, ever go out of "All Mail" unless you
> delete it altogether by sending to Trash or Spam.

> What I do is simply leave it alone. There is no harm done at
> all.

> In fact I leverage it to my advantage when creating org-mode
> links to a mail item. I use an advising function to ensure
> that the link points to the "All Mail" entry --- then no
> matter how I relabel the mail item, the org-mode link will
> always work (unless the mail is moved to Trash or Spam).

> I have often thought about moving away from Gmail but to me
> the All Mail concept is a killer feature.

> -- 
> Bob Newell
> Honolulu, Hawai`i

> - Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-18 13:42       ` Lars-Johan Liman
@ 2021-01-18 18:17         ` Bob Newell
  2021-01-19  9:24           ` Lars-Johan Liman
  2021-01-19  9:43         ` physiculus
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-01-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Johan Liman; +Cc: info-gnus-english

You are 100% right, I believe. Gmail pretends to have folders
but really doesn't, it just has labels. The issue for me is
how this is reflected in the gnus structure, which sees things
as folders. So I treat "All Mail" as a folder which I know
will contain everything, and do org-mode links to All Mail
rather than to some specific pseudo-folder (which is really a
label).

This must be the original poster's problem. He tries to remove
the "All Mail" label. This gets reflected locally in gnus
until his next update at which time the All Mail label returns
because gmail will never take it away until the mail is
actually deleted.

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-18 18:17         ` Bob Newell
@ 2021-01-19  9:24           ` Lars-Johan Liman
  2021-01-19 18:46             ` Jeffrey DeLeo
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-01-19  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Ah. Yes, I can see that that can create problems.

I use ... err ... correction: the company I work for in my $dayjob ...
uses Gmail. It's not my choice and I'm not a fan in any way, but I
manage to live with it. I only use it as a store-and-forward IMAP
respository. I do _nothing_ in Gmail. I download everything to my Gnus
machine and split the mail into folders there. Gmail knows nothing about
my folders. It just stores my mail until I download it. This may or may
not work for others.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

bobnewell@bobnewell.net 2021-01-18 08:17 [-1000]:
> You are 100% right, I believe. Gmail pretends to have folders
> but really doesn't, it just has labels. The issue for me is
> how this is reflected in the gnus structure, which sees things
> as folders. So I treat "All Mail" as a folder which I know
> will contain everything, and do org-mode links to All Mail
> rather than to some specific pseudo-folder (which is really a
> label).

> This must be the original poster's problem. He tries to remove
> the "All Mail" label. This gets reflected locally in gnus
> until his next update at which time the All Mail label returns
> because gmail will never take it away until the mail is
> actually deleted.

> -- 
> Bob Newell
> Honolulu, Hawai`i

> - Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-18 13:42       ` Lars-Johan Liman
  2021-01-18 18:17         ` Bob Newell
@ 2021-01-19  9:43         ` physiculus
  2021-01-19 10:52           ` Lars-Johan Liman
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-19  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Johan Liman; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
Hihi, "besserwisser" this is a german word. Is it merged into the
english language?

> (At the risk of being a besserwisser ... apologies in advance.)
>
> Could your problem stem from what I have been told and believe to be
> true, that Gmail doesn't have the concept of "mailboxes" or "folders"?
>
> AFAIK, your mail in Gmail is just one big pool off messages, to which
> Gmail assigns tags. It will tag the messages that you consider to be in
> your folder "inbox" with the tag "inbox", and the ones in your folder
> "work" with the tag "work".
>
> When you access your mail using IMAP (which, as a protocol, relies on
> the concept of mail folders) and you ask to have your "work" folder
> listed, it will filter out the messages with the tag "work" and show
> them to you, but they are still in the big pool.
>
> So, to Gmail, a "folder" is just "a filtered view of the pool, according
> to some combination of tags".
>
> With this as background, is your problem possible to explain?
Thank you, this is explained enough for me.
BUT
my main problem is not solved with it.
As far as i understand, move a message in gnus into my local folders not
reachable in imap, have to delete this message in gmail All mail?
Am i right?
If not, perhaps i have to use another command, or another split rule, or
anything advanced?

Any idea?

Regards
Poul


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-19  9:43         ` physiculus
@ 2021-01-19 10:52           ` Lars-Johan Liman
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-01-19 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: info-gnus-english

physiculus@gmail.com 2021-01-19 10:43 [+0100]:
> Hihi, "besserwisser" this is a german word. Is it merged into the
> english language?

LOL! So much for me trying to avoid sounding like a "better-knower"!!
What a disgraceful defeat! :-) :-) There is simply no way out of this
for me, is there? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
>> (At the risk of being a besserwisser ... apologies in advance.)
>> 
>> Could your problem stem from what I have been told and believe to be
>> true, that Gmail doesn't have the concept of "mailboxes" or "folders"?
>> 
>> AFAIK, your mail in Gmail is just one big pool off messages, to which
>> Gmail assigns tags. It will tag the messages that you consider to be in
>> your folder "inbox" with the tag "inbox", and the ones in your folder
>> "work" with the tag "work".
>> 
>> When you access your mail using IMAP (which, as a protocol, relies on
>> the concept of mail folders) and you ask to have your "work" folder
>> listed, it will filter out the messages with the tag "work" and show
>> them to you, but they are still in the big pool.
>> 
>> So, to Gmail, a "folder" is just "a filtered view of the pool, according
>> to some combination of tags".
>> 
>> With this as background, is your problem possible to explain?

> Thank you, this is explained enough for me.
> BUT
> my main problem is not solved with it.
> As far as i understand, move a message in gnus into my local folders not
> reachable in imap, have to delete this message in gmail All mail?
> Am i right?
> If not, perhaps i have to use another command, or another split rule, or
> anything advanced?

> Any idea?

Sorry. Can't help you there. I haven't dealt with that problem myself,
as I never "sync" with Gmail. I only download. It's a one-way
transaction for me.

I never delete anything in Gmail (at least not through IMAP) and I don't
care what Gmail has in store. The only thing I ever do over IMAP is to
download new mail. (To me it might as well have been a POP3 server -
which would have made some things easier ...) _EVERYTHING_ else I do on
my local machine. Yes, that means that I cannot view my folders using
Gmail's web interface nor from any other IMAP client, but I don't care.
I have it on my local machine, and that's where I deal with e-mail.

This said, I would _like_ to delete the mail I have downloaded, but I've
given up on that. It seems as Gmail doesn't follow the semantics of the
IMAP protocol. I use ':fetchflag "\\Deleted"' for all my various mail
sources, and that deletes the downloaded mail from the IMAP server in
every case ... except Gmail. I have spent too many hours trying to
figure out how to do it, but Google has alarms on your account, so if
you to "too many weird things" in a given time span, you're account is
locked for some time. So I gave up. It's not my personal mail, and my
employer has a different view on content security than I have, so I let
Google just hang on to my mail. They will delete it after 2(?) years if
I dont touch it, I think. Fine.

I understand that this is not everybody's cup of tea, and that YMMV. I'm
just describing how I live with the situation, to offer an alternative.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-19  9:24           ` Lars-Johan Liman
@ 2021-01-19 18:46             ` Jeffrey DeLeo
  2021-01-20 20:06               ` Bob Newell
  2021-01-21 11:43               ` Lars-Johan Liman
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2021-01-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:

> respository. I do _nothing_ in Gmail. I download everything to my Gnus
> machine and split the mail into folders there. Gmail knows nothing
> about my folders. It just stores my mail until I download it. This may

Do you have gnus split the gmail messages to local folders? Would you
share your splitting code?

My experience is this: to copy a gmail message into a local nnml folder
I need to first copy the message into the folder, then move the message
to gmail trash. If I just move the message to the local nnml folder it
never gets deleted from gmail.  I haven't worked out write split code in
gnus that could do this for me - but I would be delighted if someone
else had...


_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-19 18:46             ` Jeffrey DeLeo
@ 2021-01-20 20:06               ` Bob Newell
  2021-01-21  7:37                 ` physiculus
  2021-01-21 11:43               ` Lars-Johan Liman
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-01-20 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: info-gnus-english

  I haven't worked out write split code in
> gnus that could do this for me - but I would be delighted if someone
> else had...

I don't do splitting but I do use the following to delete Gmail

(gnus-summary-move-article nil "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash" nil)

This only works from the summary buffer but the concept may be
adaptable for splitting to a local folder and deleting from Gmail
after the split.

Note to the OP: this is the ONLY way to get stuff out of All Mail
(along with moving to Spam). Retagging in any other way will always,
always, always leave something in Gmail. And if you add a tag and then
delete it from All Mail, it will be gone, tag and all. If it's not in
All Mail it doesn't exist.
-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Via Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB.

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-20 20:06               ` Bob Newell
@ 2021-01-21  7:37                 ` physiculus
  2021-01-21 20:20                   ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-21  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: Jeffrey DeLeo, info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

>   I haven't worked out write split code in
>> gnus that could do this for me - but I would be delighted if someone
>> else had...
>
> I don't do splitting but I do use the following to delete Gmail
>
> (gnus-summary-move-article nil "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash" nil)
Hello,
unfortunately i dont understand.
Is it an configure option an your .gnus file?
Or a split line?
Could you please describe a little bit more.

Regards
Poul

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-19 18:46             ` Jeffrey DeLeo
  2021-01-20 20:06               ` Bob Newell
@ 2021-01-21 11:43               ` Lars-Johan Liman
  2021-01-21 21:43                 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-01-21 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi, Jeffrey,

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
>> respository. I do _nothing_ in Gmail. I download everything to my Gnus
>> machine and split the mail into folders there. Gmail knows nothing
>> about my folders. It just stores my mail until I download it. This may

JeffreyDeLeo@gmail.com 2021-01-19 18:46 [+0000]:
> Do you have gnus split the gmail messages to local folders? Would you
> share your splitting code?

After having written a looong message with that ^^^, I read your
following section once more:

> My experience is this: to copy a gmail message into a local nnml folder
> I need to first copy the message into the folder, then move the message
> to gmail trash. If I just move the message to the local nnml folder it
> never gets deleted from gmail.  I haven't worked out write split code in
> gnus that could do this for me - but I would be delighted if someone
> else had...

I do mail splitting successfully, but as I mentioned in _my_ previous
message:

>>> I never delete anything in Gmail (at least not through IMAP) and I
>>> don't care what Gmail has in store.

You seem to use the IMAP session more interactively than I do - moving
things around rather than just downloading unread messages. This
implicates that you use more than one e-mail client to handle your mail.
That is, of course, absolutely fine, but it means that your setup is
probably more complicated than mine, and that you may find it more
important to actually "do housekeeping" in the Gmail repository so that
other clients present a consistent view of your stored email. This is
all good.

For me Gmail is a FIFO. Mail arrives, I pick it up. I never use Gmail to
process my mail, nor do I use any other clients. That's my choice, and I
have all respsect for other people who choose differently.

So, *I* can live with leaving old irrelevant mail in a big "unsorted"
pile in Gmail. In my GNUS reader everything looks fine (... or, ahem ...
well ... ;-) ).

So, I can't help you with deleting the mail at Gmail. I wish I could,
because I would also like to know how it's done, but I've given up. And
TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if Google has deliberately omitted that
part of the IMAP spec. They are the biggest, so they do what they like -
standard or not. I suck it up and choose different providers whereever I
can influence the choice. :-(

			Best regards to you, and less so to Google ;-)
			  /Liman

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-21  7:37                 ` physiculus
@ 2021-01-21 20:20                   ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-01-21 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english


>> I don't do splitting but I do use the following to delete Gmail
>>
>> (gnus-summary-move-article nil "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash" nil)
> Hello,
> unfortunately i dont understand.
> Is it an configure option an your .gnus file?
> Or a split line?
> Could you please describe a little bit more.

I wrap this line of code in a little function to delete
(actually move Trash) a mail item. The item deleted is either
the one point is on in the Summary Buffer (which must be the
current buffer) or, if the Summary Buffer has items processed
marked, it trashes all of the marked ones.

It's not a split line. I don't split in Gnus. In my workflow,
there's no reason for me not to let Gmail apply labels and
avoid the overhead of splitting in Gnus, although then I do
add the overhead of using IMAP to fetch multiple Gmail groups.

However if you want to split and then delete all your Inbox in
Gmail, there should be some sort of hook to call a function
after splitting (I don't offhand know what it is as once
again, I don't split in Gnus).

Here is my full function for deleting EVERYTHING from a
Summary Buffer. If you bring up the Gmail Inbox in a Summary
Buffer, you can move it all to Trash. This will get it out of
All Mail. (This could be dangerous! I have a confirmation,
which you would want to remove if you fully automate this.)

In summary:

1. Do your split (to non-Gmail groups).
2. Bring up Gmail INBOX in a Summary Buffer.
3. Call this function.

(Note: I am not responsible for lost information, use at your
own risk!)

;;; Trash all.
    (defun rjn-gnus-trash-all () (interactive)
      (if (yes-or-no-p "Really trash everything")
	   (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-summary-mode)
	  (progn
	    (setq-local gnus-show-threads nil)
	    (gnus-uu-mark-buffer)
         (gnus-summary-move-article nil "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash" nil))
	(message "Must be in summary buffer"))))

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-21 11:43               ` Lars-Johan Liman
@ 2021-01-21 21:43                 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
  2021-01-22  2:43                   ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2021-01-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thank you to Bob and Lars for your comments.

Lars: setup a little complicated - offlineimap syncs gmail to local file
system; gnus talks imap protocol using dovecot to local file system. Means I
never have to wait for anything in gnus, which is where I do all mail
activity.

Bob, I do as you say, explicitly moving messages to
"nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash" when I want to delete them. I
would like to splitting in gnus since one can do all sorts of things in
gnus.

Once before I spent time playing with Fancy Mail Splitting, but I
could not get it to do what I wanted. Which is: *copy* a message into a
local nnml group and then delete it by *moving* it into
"nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash".

This is gnus, of course it is possible. Just haven't worked out how yet!
The problem that stopped me before as I recall was this: could not work
out how to have the split *copy* instead of *moving*.



_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

* Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
  2021-01-21 21:43                 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
@ 2021-01-22  2:43                   ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-01-22  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Once before I spent time playing with Fancy Mail Splitting, but I
> could not get it to do what I wanted. Which is: *copy* a message into a
> local nnml group and then delete it by *moving* it into
> "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Trash".

Not tested, but I wonder if the following ruse would work. I see your
issue in that you split, and the mail moves out of the Inbox, at least
as far as Gnus thinks.

But it should still be in All Mail, even by Gnus' reckoning.

So if you do your split and then use Gnus to bulk delete from All Mail
(not Inbox), as I do in the function I posted, would that work?

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Via Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB.

_______________________________________________
info-gnus-english mailing list
info-gnus-english@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnus-english

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-22  2:43 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 16+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-01-16 18:51 Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten") physiculus
2021-01-16 20:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
2021-01-17 14:17   ` physiculus
2021-01-18  4:53     ` Bob Newell
2021-01-18 13:42       ` Lars-Johan Liman
2021-01-18 18:17         ` Bob Newell
2021-01-19  9:24           ` Lars-Johan Liman
2021-01-19 18:46             ` Jeffrey DeLeo
2021-01-20 20:06               ` Bob Newell
2021-01-21  7:37                 ` physiculus
2021-01-21 20:20                   ` Bob Newell
2021-01-21 11:43               ` Lars-Johan Liman
2021-01-21 21:43                 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
2021-01-22  2:43                   ` Bob Newell
2021-01-19  9:43         ` physiculus
2021-01-19 10:52           ` Lars-Johan Liman

Announcements and discussions for Gnus, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/info-gnus-english

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 info-gnus-english info-gnus-english/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/info-gnus-english \
		info-gnus-english@inbox.vuxu.org
	public-inbox-index info-gnus-english

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.emacs.gnus.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git