* ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 14:03 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-03-31 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quite a few of my emails are marked as ancient (with an A).

Can any one tell me:-

1) What is an ancient email?
2) How does this mark happen?
3) How do I remove it, and just have them expirable like other
   things.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 15:46 ` Christian Dietrich
From: Christian Dietrich @ 2005-03-31 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

> Quite a few of my emails are marked as ancient (with an A).

If the 'A' is realy a capital a.

> Can any one tell me:-
>
> 1) What is an ancient email?

Where did you read 'ancient'? A Mail which is marked with an A. Is a
answered Message.

> 2) How does this mark happen?
You have post an Followup or you have sent a answer.

> 3) How do I remove it, and just have them expirable like other
>    things.
Why would you remove it.

All these Things are in the Manual. So RTFM

--
Die Lust an der Macht hat ihren Ursprung nicht in der Stärke, sondern
in der Schwäche.

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 16:18 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-31 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 31 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:

> Quite a few of my emails are marked as ancient (with an A).
>
> Can any one tell me:-
>
> 1) What is an ancient email?
> 2) How does this mark happen?

"A" isn't ancient:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Read Articles") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Other Marks") ]
`----

> 3) How do I remove it, and just have them expirable like other
>    things.

(info "(gnus)Setting Marks")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 18:11   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-03-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Christian> Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

  >> Quite a few of my emails are marked as ancient (with an A).

  Christian> If the 'A' is realy a capital a.

A in a very O kind of way.

Sorry typo.

  >> Can any one tell me:-
  >>
  >> 1) What is an ancient email?

  Christian> Where did you read 'ancient'?

In the manual.

  Christian> All these Things are in the Manual. So RTFM

Personally, I never found rudeness to someone I have never met
particularly appealing.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 18:13   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-03-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Reiner> On Thu, Mar 31 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:

  >> Quite a few of my emails are marked as ancient (with an A).
  >>
  >> Can any one tell me:-
  >>
  >> 1) What is an ancient email?
  >> 2) How does this mark happen?

  Reiner> "A" isn't ancient:

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Read Articles") ] | `O' | Articles that
  Reiner> were marked as read in previous sessions and are now | "old"
  Reiner> (`gnus-ancient-mark').  `----

Sorry, typo. O for ancient, A for answered.

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Other Marks") ] | * All articles that
  Reiner> you have replied to or made a followup to (i.e., | have
  Reiner> answered) will be marked with an `A' in the second column |
  Reiner> (`gnus-replied-mark').  `----

  >> 3) How do I remove it, and just have them expirable like other
  >> things.

  Reiner> (info "(gnus)Setting Marks")

Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to determine
if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 19:31     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-03-31 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   Reiner> On Thu, Mar 31 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:
[...]
>   >> 3) How do I remove it, and just have them expirable like other
>   >> things.
[...]
> Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to determine
> if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

You talked about expirable marks.  Expirable marks don't appear
without any specific action or configuration.  You didn't provide any
information WRT this.  It might be that the expirable marks get lost
for some reason (IIRC people have observed this from time to time).

Maybe it is fixed in Gnus 5.10.x.  Using an outdated pretest version
of Emacs isn't the best idea.  Maybe you should upgrade to Emacs 21.4
(same as 21.3 plus one single security bugfix in the movemail binary).
Alas, this won't give you a significantly better Gnus version, you'll
have to download and install it separately.  Gnus 5.10.6 is the latest
stable release.  I hope that there will be 5.10.7 soon.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-03-31 21:07     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-03-31 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Mar 2005 19:13:35 +0100, Phillip wrote:

> [...]

Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Read Articles") ] | `O' | Articles that
Reiner> were marked as read in previous sessions and are now | "old"
Reiner> (`gnus-ancient-mark'). `----

[...]

> Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to
> determine if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

I may be misreading you, but are you merely asking what the 'O' mark
means? I.e. the conditions necessary for an article to be considered
ancient?

If so, the answer is right there in the info-node that Reiner Steib
quoted: an article is ancient if it has been marked read in a previous
session (not the current session). Simple as that.

Sorry if I misunderstood you and the above was obvious.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "We've reached a special place... Spiritually...             Adam Sjøgren
  ecumenically... grammatically."                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-04-01 16:23     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-04-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Mar 2005, p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk wrote:

>   Christian> All these Things are in the Manual. So RTFM
>
> Personally, I never found rudeness to someone I have never met
> particularly appealing.

I agree, that was not typical tone for gnu.emacs.gnus.

Ted

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-04-04  9:48       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-04-04  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Reiner> [...]
  >> Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to
  >> determine if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

  Reiner> You talked about expirable marks.  Expirable marks don't
  Reiner> appear without any specific action or configuration.  You
  Reiner> didn't provide any information WRT this.  It might be that
  Reiner> the expirable marks get lost for some reason (IIRC people
  Reiner> have observed this from time to time).

I use auto-expiry.

  Reiner> Maybe it is fixed in Gnus 5.10.x.  Using an outdated pretest
  Reiner> version of Emacs isn't the best idea.

No, you are right about this. I need to update. I just haven't got
around to it.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-04-04 10:04       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-04-04 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Read Articles") ] | `O' | Articles that
  Reiner> were marked as read in previous sessions and are now | "old"
  Reiner> (`gnus-ancient-mark'). `----

  Adam> [...]

  >> Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to
  >> determine if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

  Adam> I may be misreading you, but are you merely asking what the
  Adam> 'O' mark means? I.e. the conditions necessary for an article
  Adam> to be considered ancient?

  Adam> If so, the answer is right there in the info-node that Reiner
  Adam> Steib quoted: an article is ancient if it has been marked read
  Adam> in a previous session (not the current session). Simple as
  Adam> that.

  Adam> Sorry if I misunderstood you and the above was obvious.

Then I don't understand what is happening.

I use auto-expiry on my main mail box, moving stuff to an old mail box
after 30 days.

If I look at my mail box now, I have a pile of messages marked as "O",
then a set of messages marked as "!" (ticked, which I have marked so
that they stay around). And then messages marked as "E" or "EA".

If I look at the dates, those marked E (expired) are all less than 30
days old. The ones marked as "O" can be much older. They are certainly
not all of my old mail messages, most of which have expired correctly.

None of which seems to relate to messages read in previous sessions
(presumably a session being an gnus/emacs restart).

Cheers

Phil

* Re: ancient articles
@ 2005-04-04 20:53         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-04-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04 Apr 2005 11:04:55 +0100, Phillip wrote:

Adam> If so, the answer is right there in the info-node that Reiner
Adam> Steib quoted: an article is ancient if it has been marked read
Adam> in a previous session (not the current session). Simple as that.

Adam> Sorry if I misunderstood you and the above was obvious.

> Then I don't understand what is happening.

> I use auto-expiry on my main mail box, moving stuff to an old mail
> box after 30 days.

> If I look at my mail box now, I have a pile of messages marked as
> "O", then a set of messages marked as "!" (ticked, which I have
> marked so that they stay around). And then messages marked as "E" or
> "EA".

> If I look at the dates, those marked E (expired) are all less than
> 30 days old. The ones marked as "O" can be much older. They are
> certainly not all of my old mail messages, most of which have
> expired correctly.

> None of which seems to relate to messages read in previous sessions
> (presumably a session being an gnus/emacs restart).

I don't think the 'O' interacts with expiry in any way, but I'm
certainly not an expiry-expert in any way (I don't use it at home, I
use it casually at work, and I've never used auto-expire).

When investigating why some articles older than 30 days aren't expired
I would ignore the 'O', if I were you, I think.

Hopefully someone with better understanding of this can jump in and
enlighten things.

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Vilken sanning, Måns, är sann?"                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk