* Re: Turning MH folders into nnml groups
       [not found] <r88uos3a.fsf@bitstream.com>
@ 2003-03-27 11:01 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <1y0s1nux.fsf@bitstream.com>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-27 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> I presume they need .overview files, but rebuilding all the groups on
> my nnml server (typing 'g' on the server in the *Servers* buffer) did
> not create these files.  Is there
>
> 1) A way to create the files, or

Maybe the files weren't created because Gnus didn't know that the
groups were there?  I think you can do `G m' to create the group.
Then M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET or the `g' trick should
create the .overview files.

* HELP!  (Was: Re: Turning MH folders into nnml groups)
       [not found]         ` <f6e2d38e.0304021034.224f2d8d@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-04-03 15:55           ` Peter Davis
       [not found]             ` <84pto2mo36.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
       [not found]           ` <87fzp0zo3p.fsf@wassern.consult-meyers.com>
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-04-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, now I'm hopelessly messed up.  I have groups with names like

    nnml:a\b\c

(I'm on Windows, so the "\" are directory separators.)

I had tried switching everything to nnmh, and then back again.  Now I
have this weird mix of names.  If I do 'F' in the *Groups* buffer, or
go to the *Server* buffer and hit 'Enter' on the nnml group, I get
this mix of "\" and "." separated group names.  (NB: Hitting 'Enter'
in the *Server* buffer gives me all the names, but they're all marked
"K".)

So, I'd like to start over again.  I have a hierarchy of MH mail
folders and files, and I'd like to turn them all into nnml groups in
Gnus.  Is there some way to do this?

Thanks *very* much,

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: HELP!
       [not found]             ` <84pto2mo36.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-04-04 15:05               ` Peter Davis
       [not found]                 ` <znn6dxgd.fsf_-_@bitstream.com>
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-04-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
> > So, I'd like to start over again.  I have a hierarchy of MH mail
> > folders and files, and I'd like to turn them all into nnml groups in
> > Gnus.  Is there some way to do this?
>
> Well, probably it's enough to delete everything about that server
> from your .newsrc.eld file.

Is there some reliable way to do that?  I see nnml stuff all over the
place in .newsrc.eld, including inside some fairly elaborate lisp
expressions.

What if I just blow away .newsrc and .newsrc.eld completely?  I'm not
as concerned about the news groups.  I can always re-subscribe to
those.

I tried to just delete the nnml server from the *Servers* buffer, but
I got a message that it was "read-only".

> Then start Gnus and see that neither nnml nor nnmh are mentioned
> anywhere, in particular not in the list of servers you get with ^.
>
> Then quit Gnus and add an nnml entry to gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> Then you ought to be able to see that server with ^ after starting
> Gnus, then you can hit g on it in the server buffer.  This should
> give you an active file and lots of .overview files.

Well, if I can figure out how to completely get rid of the nnml
server, and then re-add it, I'll try it.

Thanks!

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis
               Funny stuff at http://www.pfdstudio.com
                 The artwork formerly shown as prints
    List of resources for children's writers and illustrators at:

@ 2003-04-04 15:46                 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]                 ` <znn6dxgd.fsf_-_@bitstream.com>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> What if I just blow away .newsrc and .newsrc.eld completely?  I'm not
> as concerned about the news groups.  I can always re-subscribe to
> those.

That would work.  (You also lose data about other servers you have,
but I think you know that.)

* Re: Turning MH folders into nnml groups
       [not found]             ` <adf6gvdd.fsf@bitstream.com>
@ 2003-04-05 13:58               ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2003-04-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> A. L. Meyers <me@privacy.net> writes:
>
>> pd@world.std.com (Peter Davis) writes:
>>
>> > A. L. Meyers <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> > I think I'd like to try using nnmh to see how the speed is (on a 3GHz
>> > Pentium with 1Gb of memory).  I have a tendency to switch mail tools
>> > among different programs, and MH is the most consistently supported
>> > format.  With that, I could switch among gnus, MH-E, MH itself, mutt,
>> > and Sylpheed.  That covers pretty much all the ones I'm likely to use.
>> >
>> > Is there some automatic way to switch my nnml groups to nnmh?  I
>> > suppose I could to 'F' to find all the groups, subscribe to the nnmh
>> > ones and unsubscribe from the nnml ones, right?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > -pd
>>
>> If I recall correctly, nnml is already in "one mail, one file" format
>> but has some additional index files.  If you search back through the
>> archives, you will find a thread or two on the conversion subject.
>> There is, I recall, a way to automate the process into one or two
>> commands but, alas, I cannot recall exactly how.  Maybe some of the
>> knowledgeable experts who frequently contribute here :-) can assist?
>> nnmh can, however, read the raw nnml mail files without changing them.
>> nnmh does not use the nnml index files.
>
> Thanks.  Yes, nnml is kind of like supercharged nnmh.  However, I
> can't seem to get gnus to open my various MH folders, nor to generate
> new .overview files for them.  I'd like to start over completely, and
> add everything afresh.

nnmh has no .overview files AFAIK and AFAICS, having looked at my own
numerous nnmh directories.

Cheers!

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Re: HELP! HELP! HELP!
       [not found]                           ` <84brzknbzu.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-04-05 18:26                             ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-04-05 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
>> Well, I *thought* that was it.  However, I'm now seeing some very
>> weird behavior.  Specifically:
>>
>> 1) I fetch new mail.  This appears to work normally, and all the
>>    appropriate groups have unread message counts in the *Group*
>>    buffer.
>

>> 2) I enter a group, and the number of messages in the *Summary* buffer
>>    doesn't match the message count.  For example, the new message
>>    count said 5 new messages, but only 1 is displayed in the summary
>>    buffer (and no, it's not a collapsed thread).
>
> Given that these counts are (bad) estimates anyway, I'm not surprised.
>
> Does C-u RET show all articles as it is supposed to do?
>
>> 3) I hit 'n' on that message, and another message gets added to the
>>    *Summary* buffer.  Continuing to type 'n' continues to add messages
>>    to the *Summary*.
>
> Hm.  There was a variable for auto-extending groups like this.  Hm.
> I can't find that variable, though.  Anyone?
>
>> 4) At some point, 'n' stops adding messages, and starts simply jumping
>>    the cursor around among the various displayed articles.  However
>>    ... the display in the *Article* buffer *doesn't* match the line in
>>    the *Summary* buffer, and I can't get them to match.
>
> `g' should do the right thing.  But I've also seen `n' jumping around.

Thanks again, Kai.  I'll try this again, re-creating the Active file from
scratch.  It's entirely possible that the old one didn't quite match the
folder structure anymore.

Thanks!

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: Turning MH folders into nnml groups
@ 2003-04-05 19:33                 ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-04-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

A. L. Meyers <me@privacy.net> writes:

[...]

> > Thanks.  Yes, nnml is kind of like supercharged nnmh.  However, I
> > can't seem to get gnus to open my various MH folders, nor to generate
> > new .overview files for them.  I'd like to start over completely, and
> > add everything afresh.
>
> nnmh has no .overview files AFAIK and AFAICS, having looked at my own
> numerous nnmh directories.

What I wanted to say was: "I can't seem to get gnus to open my MH
folders *as nnml groups*, not to generate new .overview files for
them".

However, I think I've gotten past this.  It basically took cleaning
all the nnml out of my system, and then regenerating, per Kai's
suggestions.

Thanks,

-pd

--