* news / bold math
@ 2003-11-26 14:58 Hans Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-11-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

News:

   http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0005.pdf

bold math and mixed bold math; only defined for lucida (dunno other bold
math fonts yet)

I also uploaded new versions.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* `Standard' vs `Beta'?
@ 2003-11-27  2:14 ` Bob Kerstetter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-11-27  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

what is the difference between the "distributed" and the "beta"
versions of context? How current is my version? Does it have all of the
cool stuff for doing "column sets"?

type this in the terminal

context -version

prints this on the screen:

pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11a-2.1
kpathsea version 3.5.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

Thanks

Bob Kerstetter
http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/

* Re: news / bold math
@ 2003-11-27  6:10 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2003-11-27  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> News:
>
>   http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0005.pdf
>
> bold math and mixed bold math; only defined for lucida (dunno other bold
> math fonts yet)
>
> I also uploaded new versions.

following error occures on every context run with
the new context:

-----------
(c:/fpTeX/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \??bo \v!synchroniseer

\setvalue #1->\expandafter \def \csname #1
                                           \endcsname
\docommando #1->\setvalue {\??bo #1}
                                     {\verticalstrut \vskip
-2\lineheight \ve...

\next1 #1,->\docommando {#1}
                             \doprocesscommaitem
\doprocesscommalist ...item \gobbleoneargument #1,
                                                   ]\relax \global
\advance \...
l.22 ...calstrut\vskip-2\lineheight\verticalstrut]

?
-----------

a bug?

Greetings Lutz

* Re: news / bold math
@ 2003-11-27  6:34   ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2003-11-27  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Hi all!

> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>
>> News:
>>
>>   http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0005.pdf
>>
>> bold math and mixed bold math; only defined for lucida (dunno other
>> bold math fonts yet)
>>
>> I also uploaded new versions.
>

> following error occures on every context run with
> the new context:
>
> -----------
> (c:/fpTeX/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
> systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \??bo \v!synchroniseer
..
..
..

> ?
> -----------
>
> a bug?

after some tweaking one error remains:

(c:/fpTeX/texmf-local/tex/context/user/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.110 \pdfoptionpdfinclusionerrorlevel
                                       =0
?

Greetings Lutz

* Re: `Standard' vs `Beta'?
@ 2003-11-27  9:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-11-27  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:14 27/11/2003, you wrote:

>what is the difference between the "distributed" and the "beta" versions
>of context? How current is my version? Does it have all of the cool stuff
>for doing "column sets"?

in most cases recent versions of distributions have the latest context,
however, you can download the version from our site, put it in your texmf
local tree, run mktexlsr and texexec --make --alone and it should work; i'm
working on a tree on our server so that one can rsync

columnsets are available in older versions, but not always with all tricks

>type this in the terminal
>
>context -version
>
>prints this on the screen:

>pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11a-2.1
>kpathsea version 3.5.2
>Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
>covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
>the GNU General Public License.
>For more information about these matters, see the files
>named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
>Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

there is a new pdfetex on the tex live dvd/cd, but for the moment 1.11a is pl

Hans

* Re: news / bold math
@ 2003-11-27 19:47 ` Mikael Persson
       [not found]   ` <32868.129.16.195.171.1069962458.squirrel@mail.medic.chalme rs.se>
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-11-27 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> News:
>
>    http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0005.pdf
>
> bold math and mixed bold math; only defined for lucida (dunno other bold
> math fonts yet)
>
> I also uploaded new versions.
>
> Hans

Hi everyone,

this looks fine. I have used Wolfram's Mathematica fonts for a while, and
they have, among others, bold math. I give a link to two pdfs with some
examples. One can download the fonts from Wolframs site.

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/testfile.pdf

I have also generated list of characters available at

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/fontlist.pdf

My question is if there is a way to make the following in a nice way:
Suppose one uses the Wolfram-Times math font as default in a doc. Then one
would like to swich to the Wolfram-Times-Bold math font with \bf. But
maybe one also wants to be able to switch to the Wolfram-Courier math font
with some switch, and perhaps also Woflram-Courier-Bold math font with
another switch.

Moreover, if anyone is interested: There is a package to use these fonts
in LaTeX. I have more or less copied and changed it to work with ConTeXt
and it works more or less. There are some stuff not working yet. If anyone
is interested in this, If I get an OK from the author of the LaTeX package
I can make it available online if anyone is interested.

Regards, Micke P

* Re: news / bold math
       [not found]   ` <32868.129.16.195.171.1069962458.squirrel@mail.medic.chalme rs.se>
@ 2003-11-27 21:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-11-27 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 20:47 27/11/2003, you wrote:

>this looks fine. I have used Wolfram's Mathematica fonts for a while, and
>they have, among others, bold math. I give a link to two pdfs with some
>examples. One can download the fonts from Wolframs site.

can you give a pointer to those fonts?

Hans

* Re: news / bold math
@ 2003-11-27 21:38       ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-11-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> At 20:47 27/11/2003, you wrote:
>
>>this looks fine. I have used Wolfram's Mathematica fonts for a while, and
>>they have, among others, bold math. I give a link to two pdfs with some
>>examples. One can download the fonts from Wolframs site.
>
> can you give a pointer to those fonts?
>
> Hans

Yes, I forgot to add an url for that :)

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.html

There are links to different versions.

/Micke P

* Re: `Standard' vs `Beta'?
@ 2003-11-28  1:06     ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-11-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans.

On Nov 27, 2003, at 3:26 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 03:14 27/11/2003, you wrote:
>
>> what is the difference between the "distributed" and the "beta"
>> versions of context? How current is my version? Does it have all of
>> the cool stuff for doing "column sets"?
>
> in most cases recent versions of distributions have the latest
> context, however, you can download the version from our site, put it
> in your texmf local tree, run mktexlsr and texexec --make --alone and
> it should work; i'm working on a tree on our server so that one can
> rsync
>
> columnsets are available in older versions, but not always with all
> tricks
>
>> type this in the terminal
>>
>> context -version
>>
>> prints this on the screen:
>
>> pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11a-2.1
>> kpathsea version 3.5.2
>> Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>> Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
>> covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
>> the GNU General Public License.
>> For more information about these matters, see the files
>> named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
>> Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>> Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.
>
> there is a new pdfetex on the tex live dvd/cd, but for the moment
> 1.11a is pl
>
> Hans

* Re: news / bold math
@ 2003-11-28 10:36         ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-11-28 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:38:52PM +0100, Mikael Persson wrote:
> > can you give a pointer to those fonts?

Windows (type 1 and ttf):
> http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.html

For completeness:

MACINTOSH:
  http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/macintosh/general/latestfonts.html

UNIX .pfa:
  http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/unix/general/manualfontdownload.html

UNIX .pcf:
  http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/unix/interface/pcf.html

Tobias

PS: Links taken from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

* m-bib and crossref
@ 2003-11-28 20:28           ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2003-11-28 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having a problem with the m-bib module, in that it does not seem to
be handling crossrefs properly.  For example, in my bibtex database I have
the following entries:

@inproceedings{ bos92sigs,
    author = "Jurjen N. E. Bos and David Chaum",
    title = "Provably Unforgeable Signatures",
    crossref={CRYPTO92},
    pages = "1-14"}

@proceedings{CRYPTO92,
  editor    = {Ernest F. Brickell},
  title     = {12th Annual International
               Cryptology Conference, Santa Barbara, California, USA,
               August 16-20, 1992, Proceedings},
  booktitle = {Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO '92},
  publisher = {Springer},
  series    = {Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
  volume    = {740},
  year      = {1992},
  isbn      = {3-540-57340-2},
  bibsource = {DBLP, http://dblp.uni-trier.de}
}

if I cite bos92sigs in a LaTeX document, the following reference is
produced:

[3] Jurjen N. E. Bos and David Chaum. Provably unforgeable signatures. In
    Ernest F. Brickell, editor, Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO 92, volume
    740 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 1-14.  Springer, 1992.

But ConTeXt + m-bib produce:
[4] Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable
    signatures.  In [??], pages 1-14.

What this looks like is that m-bib does not handle bibtex crossrefs
properly; it tries to create another entry in the publication list and put
a reference to that new entry in the crossrefrencing entries (although it
did not add an entry for the CRYPTO 92 proceedings in my publication
list...).  What it should be doing (according to the bibtexing document)
is supplying the missing entries (such as booktitle, publisher, etc.) to
the crossreferencing entry, and then creating a new entry in the
publication list only if the same item is crossref'ed by min-crossrefs
(default=2) normal entries.

Is this indeed the case?  If so, is there a simple fix (e.g. some option
that is not in the m-bib documentation)? Or is there some other
bibliography package that handles bibtex crossrefs properly?

Thanks,
William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

	-- Jarvis Cocker

* Re: news / bold math
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-29  0:08 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-11-29  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen said this at Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:58:55 +0100:

>bold math and mixed bold math; only defined for lucida (dunno other bold
>math fonts yet)

Very cool.

I'm trying it with Euler, and it almost works. However, the [size]
typescript finds the namespace too crowded... well, as far as I can tell,
the size definitions done by:
   \usetypescript[boldmath][euler][size]
are knocked aside by:
   \usetypescript[math][euler][size]

The best case gets the normal weight, the boldmath bodyfont, and \bfm
weight available. Either normal or bold has the different design sizes
(10, 7, 5pt) applied, but not both at once. From what I understand (and
my font knowledge is still limited--I don't know how or where the size
typescripts get called), this will be an issue in supporting cmr boldmath
as well.

Does anyone else have some insight?

If you'd like to try them out, my current files are attached. They depend
on the virtual euler package:
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/eulervm.html?
action=/tex-archive/fonts/>

adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

[-- Attachment #2: eulerbold.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 3509 bytes --]

* ConTeXt and emacs
@ 2003-11-29 14:50             ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-11-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear co-listers,

I'm (very slowly) trying to use emacs with ConTeXt. I have tried Berend
de Boers context.el which offers a good many nice features, but I
couldn't find for the life of me how to do a couple of things (such as
run texexec on the file I'm editing). A while ago, Patrick mentioned
that new versions of auctex will be context-aware, but the "stable"
version I dlded knew nothing about ConTeXt. Has anybody succeeded in
installing a new version that's working? Any how-tos about it?

Best

Thomas

* Re: ConTeXt and emacs
@ 2003-11-30  0:49               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-30  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas

[...]

> as run texexec on the file I'm editing). A while ago, Patrick
> mentioned that new versions of auctex will be context-aware, but the
> "stable" version I dlded knew nothing about ConTeXt.

It is in the cvs-version of AUCTeX.

> Has anybody succeeded in installing a new version that's working?
> Any how-tos about it?

Do you know how to use cvs? If yes, look at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=auctex

for instructions on cvs access.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: ConTeXt and emacs
@ 2003-11-30  4:24               ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-11-30  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Dear co-listers,
>
> I'm (very slowly) trying to use emacs with ConTeXt. I have tried
> Berend de Boers context.el which offers a good many nice features, but
> I couldn't find for the life of me how to do a couple of things (such
> as run texexec on the file I'm editing).

In Emacs, to process a file with texexec you can select "TeX file" from
the TeX menu or you can hit C-c C-f. (providing context.el is loaded)
If you need to run texexec with any switches, I guess you could start up
eshell (M-x eshell) and do it manually from there.
Matt

* Re: Re: ConTeXt and emacs
@ 2003-11-30  9:34                 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-11-30  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

sorry, I'm too dumb for CVS. I succeeded in finding your file
context.el and dlding it, but how do I make it work in auctex? Is it
sufficient to just copy it into site-lisp/auctex/ ? I guess I'll have
to modify tex-site.el, right? Sorry for those stooooopid questions, but
these are my first steps with emacs--it took me ages just to find out
how to make it use mac-roman in the right way so I could use files in
it and TeXShop.

Best

Thomas

* Re: ConTeXt and emacs
@ 2003-11-30 20:12                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-30 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas,

> sorry, I'm too dumb for CVS. I succeeded in finding your file
> context.el and dlding it, but how do I make it work in auctex? Is it
> sufficient to just copy it into site-lisp/auctex/ ?

Oh, no. context.el only works with the cvs version of the other files
that come with AUCTeX.

> I guess I'll have to modify tex-site.el, right? Sorry for those
> stooooopid questions, but these are my first steps with emacs--it
> took me ages just to find out how to make it use mac-roman in the
> right way so I could use files in it and TeXShop.

If you are interested, I can send you the current cvs version of
AUCTeX off-list. You need to follow the install-instructions that are
mentioned in file README.CVS. But: you need autoconf installed on
your system for the cvs version.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: m-bib and crossref
@ 2003-12-01 10:45             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2003-12-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:28:51 -0700 (MST), William wrote:

> But ConTeXt + m-bib produce:
> [4] Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable
>     signatures.  In [??], pages 1-14.

If you run ConTeXt one more time, you will get:

  Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable signatures.
  In (Brickell, 1992), pages 1-14.

The module inserts a 'default' \cite command for the referenced item.  This is
exactly the behavior I intended, even if it is not compatible with LaTeX practise.
Personally I like 'real' cross-referencing better than filling in fields in order to
minimize the number of keystrokes in the BIB file.

Unfortunately, there is an error in the code that prevents the referenced entry
from automatically appearing in the publication list.

A quick hack: replace '\completepublications' with

  \setbox0\vbox{\placepublications}
  \completepublications

This will essentially typeset the list twice, the internal \cite will be processed
in the first pass, and will therefore be known in the second pass. I have
written down this bug for a future release, implementing a clean solution
for this bug is too hard for me to allow me to write a fix right this instant.

> Is this indeed the case?  If so, is there a simple fix (e.g. some option
> that is not in the m-bib documentation)? Or is there some other
> bibliography package that handles bibtex crossrefs properly?

I don't think there is any other package. If there was, I wouldnt have written
m-bib in the first place.

A little side note: "-min-crossrefs" is not applicable since the entire database
*always* appears in the bbl file. This is a problem that is caused indirectly by
the fact that Bibtex is not a generic bibliographic manager, but instead is a
LaTeX-centric data preprocessor.  :-/

Greetings,

Taco

* Re: m-bib and crossref
@ 2003-12-01 19:00               ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2003-12-01 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> If you run ConTeXt one more time, you will get:
>
>   Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable signatures.
>   In (Brickell, 1992), pages 1-14.
>
> The module inserts a 'default' \cite command for the referenced item.  This is
> exactly the behavior I intended, even if it is not compatible with LaTeX practise.
> Personally I like 'real' cross-referencing better than filling in fields in order to
> minimize the number of keystrokes in the BIB file.

I suppose that's a valid sentiment, although it saves many, many
keystrokes when your bib file is full of proceedings and journal articles.
Plus it looks fairly silly to reference the proceedings when you reference
only one or two of the articles in it (the same goes for books, journals,
etc.).  Oh well... until I'm willing to write my own package I suppose I
have to play along or go back to LaTeX.

> Unfortunately, there is an error in the code that prevents the referenced entry
> from automatically appearing in the publication list.
>
> A quick hack: replace '\completepublications' with
>
>   \setbox0\vbox{\placepublications}
>   \completepublications

Thanks, however there is a slight problem with this method: When I use
refcommand=num and numbering=yes (which is required for some
publications), then the crossreference in the article entry is corect,
e.g.

[4] Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable
    signatures. In [11], pages 1-14.

However, the entry for the proceedings themselves have the wrong number,
they get reset and start over from 1 e.g.

[1] Ernest F. Brickell, , editor (1992). 12th Annual International
    Cryptology Conference, Santa Barbara, California, USA, August 16-20,
    1992, Proceedings, number 740 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science. ,
    Springer.

Do You know of any way around this, or am I just going to have to manually
edit the bbl file?

Two more questions:
1: Whenever a reference includes an editor, it is typeset as:
(Editor Name), , rest of reference (see above for example).  I've  tried
playing around with the various namesep settings, but I can't get rid of
that second ", " pair.  How do I get rid of it?

2: As you can see above, I've selected \normalauthor for the typesetting
of names in the references, however, whenever a publication has three or
more authors, the names are typest in the apa \invertedshortauthor format.
Is there some way to override this?

Thanks for the help and for the package -- I would hate to have to
manually create my list of references for every paper I write.

William D. Neumann

---

@ 2003-12-04  8:48                 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2003-12-04  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:00:08 -0700 (MST), William wrote:

> > Personally I like 'real' cross-referencing better than filling in fields in order to
> > minimize the number of keystrokes in the BIB file.
>
> I suppose that's a valid sentiment, although it saves many, many
> keystrokes when your bib file is full of proceedings and journal articles.
> Plus it looks fairly silly to reference the proceedings when you reference
> only one or two of the articles in it (the same goes for books, journals,
> etc.).  Oh well... until I'm willing to write my own package I suppose I
> have to play along or go back to LaTeX.

If there are more people that agree with you I might change my mind ...

> However, the entry for the proceedings themselves have the wrong number,
> they get reset and start over from 1 e.g.
>
> Do You know of any way around this, or am I just going to have to manually
> edit the bbl file?

You could always \cite the proceedings manually. If you put the reference
 in a \setbox command it wont  show up in the running text, like so:

 \setbox0\hbox{\cite[XX]}

Wrt to your other questions: could you send me your input file(s) or
the exact settings you used? It will be (a lot) easier to re-enact your
observations if I do not have to guess and invent stuff myself.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: m-bib and crossref
@ 2003-12-05 19:20                   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2003-12-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:00:08 -0700 (MST), William wrote:
> >
> > I suppose that's a valid sentiment, although it saves many, many
> > keystrokes when your bib file is full of proceedings and journal articles.
> > Plus it looks fairly silly to reference the proceedings when you reference
> > only one or two of the articles in it (the same goes for books, journals,
> > etc.).  Oh well... until I'm willing to write my own package I suppose I
> > have to play along or go back to LaTeX.
>
> If there are more people that agree with you I might change my mind ...

Hello,
me too, I agree. I'm just beginning to learn ConTeXt, but soon I'll have
some application of your bib-module.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/
------------------------------------

* ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-08 17:20       ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-12-08 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello ConTeXt Users,

I have been using LaTeX for 15 months or so. From one source document I
am able to produce:

1. PDF
2. HTML
3. Word (via HTML conversion)

ConTeXt is very attractive because of its detailed control, layers,
colors, few or no packages(!!!!!), magical developers, and on and on.
It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from the
same document?

Thanks,

Bob Kerstetter
http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/

* Re: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-08 18:55         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2003-12-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from the
> same document?

Hello,
I like TeX4ht for LaTeX. It would be great, if TeX4ht and ConTeXt work
together. It seems, that it works well with plain-TeX, so why not with
ConTeXt?
Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/
------------------------------------

@ 2003-12-08 20:33         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-12-08 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 08.12.03, um 18:20 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Bob
Kerstetter:
> ConTeXt is very attractive because of its detailed control, layers,
> colors, few or no packages(!!!!!), magical developers, and on and on.
> It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from the
> same document?

The normal way to get both PDF and HTML is using a XML source.
You know of ConTeXts native XML mode?
AFAIK you can import XML or HTML into MS Office, too, so you need no
real Word DOC output.
Or perhaps there's an other XML to RTF/DOC Konverter...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-08 20:57           ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-12-08 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 8, 2003, at 12:55 PM, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Bob Kerstetter wrote:
>
>> It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from the
>> same document?
>
> Hello,
> I like TeX4ht for LaTeX. It would be great, if TeX4ht and ConTeXt work
> together. It seems, that it works well with plain-TeX, so why not with
> ConTeXt?

TeX4ht is excellent. It's what I use for LaTeX to HTML and Word (via
HTML convertion). It would require writing a custom configuration file
to make it work with ConTeXt. I could be done, I just don't know how to
do it. I have tried repeated to understand TeX4ht's conversion, but
have never succeeded.

* Re: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-08 21:51           ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-12-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 8, 2003, at 2:33 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am Montag, 08.12.03, um 18:20 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Bob
> Kerstetter:
>> ConTeXt is very attractive because of its detailed control, layers,
>> colors, few or no packages(!!!!!), magical developers, and on and on.
>> It can obvious produce PDF. Can it also produce HTML and Word from
>> the same document?
>
> The normal way to get both PDF and HTML is using a XML source.
> You know of ConTeXts native XML mode?
> AFAIK you can import XML or HTML into MS Office, too, so you need no
> real Word DOC output.
> Or perhaps there's an other XML to RTF/DOC Konverter...

I know XML source should work, but at least for me, creating XML source
is unproductive.  I work with a text editor and find writing this:

``Hello world,'' says HAL.

much more productive than writing this:

Maybe I'm missing something, but for writing, XML's markup requirements
-- which are invisible to field-based data entry screen -- are way too
intense for hand-editing. TeX source is much less verbose. It is easier
to create, proof (both visually and audibly),  spell check
troubleshoot, etc. I have not seen an editor capable of doing XML
source in a productive manner, like (La)TeX with text editor.
OmniOutliner for OS X is close to being close, but too far from the
goal to use. Is there some "special thing" I don't know? ???

Thanks.

Bob Kerstetter
http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/

* Re[2]: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-08 22:06             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-12-08 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, December 8, 2003 Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> I know XML source should work, but at least for me, creating XML source
> is unproductive.  I work with a text editor and find writing this:

> ``Hello world,'' says HAL.

> much more productive than writing this:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but for writing, XML's markup requirements
> -- which are invisible to field-based data entry screen -- are way too
> intense for hand-editing. TeX source is much less verbose. It is easier
> to create, proof (both visually and audibly),  spell check
> troubleshoot, etc. I have not seen an editor capable of doing XML
> source in a productive manner, like (La)TeX with text editor.

I agree with you. Productive editing of XML document requires
specialized editors, and I still haven't found an (open source)
one that was up to the task. Vex is quite promising, in this
regard.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-09  7:52               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-09  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 23:06 08/12/2003, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Monday, December 8, 2003 Bob Kerstetter wrote:
>
> > I know XML source should work, but at least for me, creating XML source
> > is unproductive.  I work with a text editor and find writing this:
>
> > ``Hello world,'' says HAL.
>
> > much more productive than writing this:

both are wrong in the perspective of xml (structured document coding):

   <quotation>Hello World</quotation>, says HAL

is the way to go

Hans

* context2html converter (was: ConTeXt Switcher? )
@ 2003-12-09 12:52                 ` Maurice Diamantini
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2003-12-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

> both are wrong in the perspective of xml (structured document coding):
>
>   <quotation>Hello World</quotation>, says HAL
>
> is the way to go

Hum, yes.
But for
	$x^2 + y^2=25$

you should write (from one of your previous post):

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\usemodule[mathml]
% \usetypescript[palatino][texnansi] \setupbodyfont[palatino]
% \usetypescript[palatino][texnansi] \setupbodyfont[times]
% \usetypescript[fourier] [ec]       \setupbodyfont[fourier]
\starttext
     \startTEXpage
         \startXMLdata
             <math>
                 <apply> <eq/>
                     <apply> <plus/>
                         <ci> x </ci>
                         <apply> <power/>
                             <apply> <sin/>
                                 <ci> x </ci>
                             </apply>
                             <cn> 2 </cn>
                         </apply>
                         <ci> y </ci>
                     </apply>
                     <ci> y </ci>
                 </apply>
             </math>
         \stopXMLdata
   \stopTEXpage
\stoptext

So I think xml is an exchange format, not a human language
as are LaTeX/ConTeXt or even TeX.

A context2html solution is a big miss for ConTeXt
tex4ht could be that solution.
(if only a tex4ht power user would switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt :-)

Maurice Diamantini

* Re: context2html converter (was: ConTeXt Switcher? )
@ 2003-12-09 23:16                   ` Bob Kerstetter
From: Bob Kerstetter @ 2003-12-09 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 2003, at 6:52 AM, Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> A context2html solution is a big miss for ConTeXt
> tex4ht could be that solution.
> (if only a tex4ht power user would switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt :-)

I have contacted a friend who is a tex4ht power user and asked if he
could help with making tex4ht work with ConTeXt. He said his
"uneducated guess" is that tex4ht can be made to work with ConTeXt, but
he would need help installing ConTeXt on his Sun Solaris account. He
does not have root access. The help would consistent of:

"Where to put things, setting up configuration files if such are
needed, and similar issues that a user like me with no root access
might encounter to get the system to run. In short, someone who can
lead me in small steps through the installation process."

Do such instructions already exist? Or, if someone can provide that
type of help, please contact me offlist and I'll put y'all together.

* Re: context2html converter
@ 2003-12-10 10:39                     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-12-10 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Kerstetter <bkerstetter@mac.com> writes:

Hi Bob,

> "Where to put things, setting up configuration files if such are
> needed, and similar issues that a user like me with no root access
> might encounter to get the system to run. In short, someone who can
> lead me in small steps through the installation process."
>
> Do such instructions already exist? Or, if someone can provide that
> type of help, please contact me offlist and I'll put y'all together.

I have put some instructions at http://levana.de/context/ I could
help with installation steps.

Patrick
--
mon trainsistor j'adore

* ConTeXt-live distribution
@ 2003-12-10 12:55                       ` Maurice Diamantini
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2003-12-10 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

Le 10 déc. 03, à 11:39, Patrick Gundlach a écrit :

> Bob Kerstetter <bkerstetter@mac.com> writes:
>> ... that a user like me with no root access
>> might encounter to get the system to run. In short, someone who can
>> lead me in small steps through the installation process."
>>
>> Do such instructions already exist? Or, if someone can provide that
>> type of help, please contact me offlist and I'll put y'all together.
>
> I have put some instructions at http://levana.de/context/ I could
> help with installation steps.

I think Hans provided a limited version for a context standalone
distribution.
But I had problem for install it (whith perl) so I give up.

Also the standard tetex distribution provided with fink (on MacOSX-10.3)
did'n work for me (some itemize bug), and I had to install the texlive
distribution.

The texlive is very nice because it is complete. But it is very heavy
(only the demo version old on a single CD-ROM : the full texlive
take 1.2 Go and need a DVD !)

Why is texlive so big ?
Because it contains all old stuff that any LaTeX/TeX distribution should
contain to be compatible with every TeX based document from the
last few decade ;-)
- every package which was ever able to do multicols
- every package which allows to do clever table
- every package which allows to do verbatim, ...

But ConTeXt is an independant, modern TeX based distribution (even if
it don't (yet) know about simple html :-).

So was do we need to be able to switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt?
- a simple standard tetex distib for our old LaTeX document
- a standalone ConTeXt distribution similar to the texlive
   in the idea

This ConTeXt-live should be multiplatform and contain:
- all uptodate reference doc about ConTeXt tools
- all available exemples or model documents
- all contrib extention (m-bib, math, ...)
- the TeX/Metapost and perl distribution.
- all tools (xml, html, ....)

This could be distibute as iso image and could be
use as simple (no privilege) user.

This would also make much easier to give acces to context to
beginer (without the need of texmf experience).

Also, what is missing for ConTeXt versus LaTeX
1 - some good LaTeX class emulation
     (a simple "table of content" is uggli in ConTeXt)
2 - some exemples for writing mathemaics using the new Giuseppe
     math packages
3 - some mean to write xml or html FROM ConTeXt (and NOT the reverse!)
3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and xml)
4 - ...

-- Maurice Diamantini (a recent latex2context switcher)

P.S
sorry for my bad english

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution
@ 2003-12-10 13:29                         ` Zunbeltz Izaola
From: Zunbeltz Izaola @ 2003-12-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 3023 bytes --]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> Le 10 déc. 03, à 11:39, Patrick Gundlach a écrit :
>
> > Bob Kerstetter <bkerstetter@mac.com> writes:
> >> ... that a user like me with no root access
> >> might encounter to get the system to run. In short, someone who can
> >> lead me in small steps through the installation process."
> >>
> >> Do such instructions already exist? Or, if someone can provide that
> >> type of help, please contact me offlist and I'll put y'all together.
> >
> > I have put some instructions at http://levana.de/context/ I could
> > help with installation steps.
>
> I think Hans provided a limited version for a context standalone
> distribution.
> But I had problem for install it (whith perl) so I give up.
>
> Also the standard tetex distribution provided with fink (on MacOSX-10.3)
> did'n work for me (some itemize bug), and I had to install the texlive
> distribution.
>
> The texlive is very nice because it is complete. But it is very heavy
> (only the demo version old on a single CD-ROM : the full texlive
> take 1.2 Go and need a DVD !)

I don't have the distribution in the hand, but i think the full texlive is
in a DVD, beacause in the same DVD there is a copy of CTAN. I think a
runing copy of TeXLive can be extracted from this DVD to a CD-ROM ( or
two)

> Because it contains all old stuff that any LaTeX/TeX distribution should
> contain to be compatible with every TeX based document from the
> last few decade ;-)
> - every package which was ever able to do multicols
> - every package which allows to do clever table
> - every package which allows to do verbatim, ...
>
> But ConTeXt is an independant, modern TeX based distribution (even if
> it don't (yet) know about simple html :-).
>
> So was do we need to be able to switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt?
> - a simple standard tetex distib for our old LaTeX document
> - a standalone ConTeXt distribution similar to the texlive
>    in the idea
>
> This ConTeXt-live should be multiplatform and contain:
> - all uptodate reference doc about ConTeXt tools
> - all available exemples or model documents
> - all contrib extention (m-bib, math, ...)
> - the TeX/Metapost and perl distribution.
> - all tools (xml, html, ....)
>
> This could be distibute as iso image and could be
> use as simple (no privilege) user.
>
> This would also make much easier to give acces to context to
> beginer (without the need of texmf experience).

I'm a ConTeXt beginer, but i think that texmf is necesary, expecially for
fonts, isn't it?

> Also, what is missing for ConTeXt versus LaTeX
> 1 - some good LaTeX class emulation
>      (a simple "table of content" is uggli in ConTeXt)
> 2 - some exemples for writing mathemaics using the new Giuseppe
>      math packages
> 3 - some mean to write xml or html FROM ConTeXt (and NOT the reverse!)
> 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and xml)
> 4 - ...

chears,

Zunbeltz

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution (Typesetting music in ConTeXt)
@ 2003-12-10 15:10                         ` Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2003-12-10 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:55:34 +0100
Maurice Diamantini <diam@ensta.fr> wrote:

: 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and
: xml)

That would be very-very nice. By the way, are there any plans to
implement this feature (Lilypond binding) or, may be, some other ways to typeset
music in ConTeXt?

Best, Pavel.

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution
@ 2003-12-10 16:32                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:55 10/12/2003, you wrote:

>This would also make much easier to give acces to context to
>beginer (without the need of texmf experience).

There is indeed such an iso image (100 MB including all doc).

But .. as an experiment you try the following:

(1) download one of:

   http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texsync.rb
   http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/texsync.exe

(2) run:

   texsync --update --tree=doc --destination=<yourpath> --force

   with <yourpath> being for instance (on windows) d:/tex/documentation

(3) and/or:

   texsync --update --make --tree=doc --destination=<yourpath> --force

   with <yourpath> being for instance (on windows) d:/tex/

Given that you have perl installed, the file 'setuptex.bat' (there is also
a linux one) in the texroot should provide you the minimal system you want.

The destination is optional, and when omitted, it will use kpsewhich to
determine the root; a first time there is probably no such root.

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution
@ 2003-12-10 16:43                           ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-12-10 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this another way of saying that there's a new version (+ beta) on the
site? :)

@ 2003-12-10 16:44                           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:10 10/12/2003, you wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:55:34 +0100
>Maurice Diamantini <diam@ensta.fr> wrote:
>
>: 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and
>: xml)
>
>That would be very-very nice. By the way, are there any plans to
>implement this feature (Lilypond binding) or, may be, some other ways to
>typeset
>music in ConTeXt?

if i'd time i'd write a metapost based engine ....

with regards to lilypond, it depends on how latex dependent things are

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution
@ 2003-12-10 16:54                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-10 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 17:43 10/12/2003, you wrote:
>Is this another way of saying that there's a new version (+ beta) on the
>site? :)

since i synced the sit ewith my machine ... indeed (unless something went
wrong)

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt-live distribution (Typesetting music  in ConTeXt)
@ 2003-12-10 18:55                             ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-12-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 16:10 10/12/2003, you wrote:

>> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:55:34 +0100
>> Maurice Diamantini <diam@ensta.fr> wrote:
>>
>> : 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and
>> : xml)
>>
>> That would be very-very nice. By the way, are there any plans to
>> implement this feature (Lilypond binding) or, may be, some other ways
>> to typeset
>> music in ConTeXt?
>

> if i'd time i'd write a metapost based engine ....
>
> with regards to lilypond, it depends on how latex dependent things are

Lilypond makes use of LaTeX only. Secondly be aware, that the software
runs under Linux and under Cygwin.

I would love to see a METAPOST based engine, but I understand, that this
is a project for the time Hans has nothing to add anymore to ConTeXt. ;-)

Willi

* Re: Typesetting music  in ConTeXt
@ 2003-12-10 22:05                               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-12-10 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 10.12.03, um 19:55 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Willi Egger:

>>> : 3 - some package or binding to Lilypond (for writing music/midi and
>>> : xml)
>>> That would be very-very nice. By the way, are there any plans to
>>> implement this feature (Lilypond binding) or, may be, some other
>>> ways to typeset
>>> music in ConTeXt?
>>
>> if i'd time i'd write a metapost based engine ....
>> with regards to lilypond, it depends on how latex dependent things are
>
> Lilypond makes use of LaTeX only. Secondly be aware, that the software
> runs under Linux and under Cygwin.

Hm, perhaps it would be possible to use some MusicTeX version? AFAIK
that's based on PlainTeX and could be compatible.

But as I looked at it last time, it was impossible to get a working
distribution (lots of patches and dependencies of tools on unreachable
sites...); but perhaps someone knows how?

Another problem are appropriate music fonts (I know only Metafonts,
besides either unusable or expensive PS fonts).

Even if I know that Hans is a capable wizard, I don't think that some
Metapost music typesetting could provide more than some single note
lines. If we talk about music typesetting (or try to port or adapt
something for ConTeXt) we must think in orchestra concert book
dimensions; I guess musical typography more difficult than "usual".

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: ConTeXt Switcher?
@ 2003-12-11  5:40               ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-12-11  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Re: Typesetting music  in ConTeXt
@ 2003-12-11  8:24                                 ` Maurice Diamantini
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2003-12-11  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini, Maurice Diamantini

Le 10 déc. 03, à 23:05, Henning Hraban Ramm a écrit :

> Am Mittwoch, 10.12.03, um 19:55 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Willi
> Egger:

>>> if i'd time i'd write a metapost based engine ....
>>> with regards to lilypond, it depends on how latex dependent things
>>> are
>>
>> Lilypond makes use of LaTeX only. Secondly be aware, that the
>> software runs under Linux and under Cygwin.
>
> Hm, perhaps it would be possible to use some MusicTeX version? AFAIK
> that's based on PlainTeX and could be compatible

I think there VERY much more work about lilypond that about Musi*TeX.
Also Lilipond has a modern approch and has a very good (*TeX)
documentation.

 From http://lilypond.org/web/about/faq.html

	Will run on my computer?

	LilyPond is written for Unix, so it should run on any modern Unix
variant,
     including Linux/GNU and MacOS X. There is also a MS Windows port,
which uses
     the Cygwin environment.

     About other format:
     We have the following requirements:
	    • 	the format must use ASCII,
	    • 	it must be concise enough to type by hand,
	    • 	it must have a concise formal specification,
	    • 	it must be expressive enough to support many types of notation
and
             printed formats.
     We believe that none of the existing formats address all these
requirements.
     For example, MusicXML cannot be typed by hand, DARMS is limited in
its
     application, ABC has no strict formal definition, and NIFF is
binary.
     Nevertheless, this does not restrict you for using those formats:
there are
     filters that convert from various formats to .ly

    Also there is some converter from lilypond to xml

So instead of Hans restarting a new Music Notation project, Hans should
make lilypond team using Context instead of LaTeX ;-)

Also I noted that :
- Lilypond is NOT a TeX macro, it only seems to be a
   dedicated (powerfull) subset of TeX (but allow input of TeX macro)
- Lilypond make use of TeX for page breaking and other stuff

So How to use Lilypond with ConTeXt?
1 - use Lilypond as an independant tool for building short
     (less or equal to one page) as pdf figure and
     include them in context as external figure
     (that is the way I'll do, because I'm not clever
     enought to do much more :-)
2 - make Lilypond team understand how ConTeXt is much
     more interesting as automatic formatic tool for
     creating pdf than LaTeX is!
3 - Allow using lilypond inside ConTeXt with
	  \startmusic
       \stopmusic
	I think this method would be much like typesetting
     chimical
     Hans has not to be developping a nex package, just
     using one that already exist

Also I think Lilipond could interest much more people
that the only short xTeX poeple user.
But Lilipond in not as easy to install (to many LaTeX
dependancy).

So the Lilypond tead could be interested by the new future
alternative ConTeXt-live CDROM distribution ;-)

ConTeXt-live (alias LaTeX-3: the only "nothing to install"
TeX based type system that allow to do :
- Mathematical,
- graphical (Metapost),
- Chimical,
- Musical
hight quality pdf documentation or web based presentation!!!

P.S.
I don't (yet) use  Lilypond, but I looked after some text based
Music notation for my wife.
I thought first to MusixTex (too eavy, too old) then the abc format
(which could be import as ps/pdf figure), then I found that
lilypond was closely related to TeX.
So it's probably the choice I'll do.

-- Maurice Diamantini

* Re: Re: Typesetting music  in ConTeXt
@ 2003-12-11 23:51                                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-11 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:24 11/12/2003, you wrote:

>So instead of Hans restarting a new Music Notation project, Hans should
>make lilypond team using Context instead of LaTeX ;-)

i'm not that sure (remembering a talk) that th lilypond team is that fond
on tex -)

>Also I noted that :
>- Lilypond is NOT a TeX macro, it only seems to be a
>   dedicated (powerfull) subset of TeX (but allow input of TeX macro)

it uses the \ as escape (as tex and rtf do)

>- Lilypond make use of TeX for page breaking and other stuff
>
>So How to use Lilypond with ConTeXt?
>1 - use Lilypond as an independant tool for building short
>     (less or equal to one page) as pdf figure and
>     include them in context as external figure
>     (that is the way I'll do, because I'm not clever
>     enought to do much more :-)

if there is a clean way to generate a cropped piece of music, this is
actually simple:

There is a mechanism in context for processign snippets, something along
the lines:

\long\def\dostartTEXapplication[#1]#2#3\stopTEXapplication
   {\bgroup
    \bgroup
    \let\f!temporaryextension\c!tex
    \setbuffer[\@@texapp]%
      \ifx\starttext\undefined
        \pdfoutput=1
        \pdfcompresslevel=9
        \hsize0pt
        \vsize0pt
        #2\relax% preamble
        \ifdim\hsize=0pt \hsize20cm\fi
        \ifdim\vsize=0pt \vsize20cm\fi
        \output{}
        \parindent=0pt
        \everypar{}
        \hoffset=-1in
        \voffset=\hoffset
        \setbox0\vbox{#3}
        \ifdim\wd0<1in \message{[warning:  width<1in]}\fi
        \ifdim\ht0<1in \message{[warning: height<1in]}\fi
        \pdfpageheight=\ht0
        \pdfpagewidth=\wd0
        \box0
        \expandafter \bye
      \else
        \starttext
        #2% preamble
        \startTEXpage[#1]%
          \topskip\zeropoint
          \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#3}%
          \saveTEXapplication02% dimensions
          \box\scratchbox
        \stopTEXpage
        \expandafter \stoptext
      \fi
    \endbuffer
    \egroup
%   \doifelse\jobsuffix{dvi}\donetrue\donefalse
%   \executesystemcommand{texexec \bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex --once --batch}%
    \executesystemcommand{texexec --tex=pdftex --format=plain
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.tex}%
%   \ifdone % eps
%     \executesystemcommand{dvips -E* -o \@@texapp.eps \@@texapp}%
%   \else % pdf
%     \executesystemcommand{dvips \bufferprefix\@@texapp}%
%     \executesystemcommand{ps2pdf \bufferprefix\@@texapp.ps
\bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf}%
%   \fi
%   \restoreTEXapplication % dimensions
    \setbox\scratchbox\hbox
      {\expanded{\externalfigure
%        [\bufferprefix\@@texapp.\ifdone eps\else pdf\fi]
         [\bufferprefix\@@texapp.pdf]
         [\c!object=\v!nee]}}%
%   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox
%     {\lower\ht\scratchbox\hbox{\raise\dimen2\box\scratchbox}}%
%   \wd\scratchbox\dimen0
%   \ht\scratchbox\dimen2
%   \dp\scratchbox\zeropoint
\ruledhbox\bgroup
    \box\scratchbox
\egroup
    \egroup}

\def\startMUSICTEX
   {\dosingleempty\dostartMUSICTEX}

\long\def\dostartMUSICTEX[#1]#2\stopMUSICTEX
   {\startTEXapplication[#1]
      {\input musicnft\relax
       \input musictex\relax
       \hsize5cm}#2%
    \stopTEXapplication}

\protect

\starttext

\starthiding

\startMUSICTEX
   \def\nbinstruments{1}\relax % a single instrument
   \generalmeter{\meterfrac{4}{4}}\relax % 4/4 meter chosen
   \debutextrait % starting real score
   \normal % normal 12 pt note spacing
   \temps\Notes\ibu0f0\qh0{cge}\tbu0\qh0g\enotes
   \finextrait % terminate excerpt
\stopMUSICTEX

\startMUSICTEX
   \def\nbinstruments{3}\relax % a single instrument
   \debutextrait % starting real score
   \temps
     \Notes\ibu0f0\qh0{cge}\tbu0\qh0g\enotes
     \Notes\ibu0f0\qh0{cge}\tbu0\qh0g\enotes
   \finextrait % terminate excerpt
\stopMUSICTEX

\stophiding

\startMUSICTEX
  \generalsignature{1}%
  \def\nbinstruments{1}%
\debutextrait
  \NOtes\zsong{Au }\qu g\enotes
  \NOtes\zsong{clair }\qu g\enotes
  \NOtes\zsong{de }\qu g\enotes
  \NOtes\zsong{la }\qu h\enotes
  \finextrait
\stopMUSICTEX

\stoptext

Willi has played with this and maybe the two of you can figure out what
this should look like for lilypond.

>2 - make Lilypond team understand how ConTeXt is much
>     more interesting as automatic formatic tool for
>     creating pdf than LaTeX is!

go ahead ...

>3 - Allow using lilypond inside ConTeXt with
>           \startmusic
>       \stopmusic
>         I think this method would be much like typesetting
>     chimical
>     Hans has not to be developping a nex package, just
>     using one that already exist

see a few lines back

>Also I think Lilipond could interest much more people
>that the only short xTeX poeple user.
>But Lilipond in not as easy to install (to many LaTeX
>dependancy).

which is strange since there is not much latex needed for music

>So the Lilypond tead could be interested by the new future
>alternative ConTeXt-live CDROM distribution ;-)
>
>ConTeXt-live (alias LaTeX-3: the only "nothing to install"
>TeX based type system that allow to do :
>- Mathematical,
>- graphical (Metapost),
>- Chimical,
>- Musical
>hight quality pdf documentation or web based presentation!!!
>

>P.S.
>I don't (yet) use  Lilypond, but I looked after some text based
>Music notation for my wife.
>I thought first to MusixTex (too eavy, too old) then the abc format
>(which could be import as ps/pdf figure), then I found that
>lilypond was closely related to TeX.
>So it's probably the choice I'll do.

i suggest that you mail a bit with Willi Egger (also on this list) in order
to sort out how to proceed; i can hack tha macros once i know what needs to
be done

Hans

* Re: Re: Typesetting music  in ConTeXt
@ 2003-12-11 23:57                                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 23:05 10/12/2003, you wrote:

>Even if I know that Hans is a capable wizard, I don't think that some
>Metapost music typesetting could provide more than some single note lines.
>If we talk about music typesetting (or try to port or adapt something for
>ConTeXt) we must think in orchestra concert book dimensions; I guess
>musical typography more difficult than "usual".

one reason to consider metapost is that it is better suited for
calculations besides being fun; the main problem is in the input language
since all examples i've seen so far are kind of awful; but don't worry .. i
currently don't have time for it -)

Are there gui based apps that generate musicxml, whatever that is (maybe
just another dtd being application data turned into <>'s)?

Hans

* Re: context2html converter (was: ConTeXt Switcher? )
@ 2004-04-01 17:22                     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2004-04-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> I have contacted a friend who is a tex4ht power user and asked if he
> could help with making tex4ht work with ConTeXt. He said his
> "uneducated guess" is that tex4ht can be made to work with ConTeXt, but

Hello Bob,
any news about TeX4ht for ConTeXt?
Cheers, Peter

--