* Simple question
@ 2022-05-09 22:15 Gerben Wierda via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerben Wierda via ntg-context @ 2022-05-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the easiest way to have a ‘database’ of translations for strings and maybe links?

I now have 4 languages and 2 versions so 8 documents, but I’d like to have all translatable strings together so I can maintain these in a single file. Ideally I can do a file where the key of the translation is one language (say English) and the translations are part of that.

Something I can call like this

\translatephrase[English phrase][nl]
\translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][nl][simple]

and where I can maintain all the translations a bit like this:

\translationentry[English phrase]{
		\definetranslatephrase[nl]Nederlandse frase]
		\definetranslatephrase[fr][Phrase français]
	}
}

\translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][simple][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file-simple.pdf]]
\translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][none][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file.pdf]]

Where the \translatelocation command can be used inside an \externalfigure command and \translatephrase can be used as as text.

In the end I’d like to compile with

context language=fr mode=simple mainfile.tex

Doable?

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A IT Strategy <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>

* Re: Simple question
@ 2022-05-10  7:10 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-05-10  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerben Wierda via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 10.05.22 um 00:15 schrieb Gerben Wierda via ntg-context:
> What is the easiest way to have a ‘database’ of translations for strings
> and maybe links?
>
> I now have 4 languages and 2 versions so 8 documents, but I’d like to
> have all translatable strings together so I can maintain these in a
> single file. Ideally I can do a file where the key of the translation is
> one language (say English) and the translations are part of that.
>
> Something I can call like this
>
> \translatephrase[English phrase][nl]
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][nl][simple]
>
> and where I can maintain all the translations a bit like this:
>
> \translationentry[English phrase]{
> \definetranslatephrase[nl]Nederlandse frase]
> \definetranslatephrase[fr][Phrase français]
> }
> }
>
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][simple][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file-simple.pdf]]
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][none][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file.pdf]]
>

> Where the \translatelocation command can be used inside an
> \externalfigure command and \translatephrase can be used as as text.
>
> In the end I’d like to compile with
>
> context language=fr mode=simple mainfile.tex
>
> Doable?
>
> Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
> R&A IT Strategy <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
> Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture
> <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
> Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>

Hi Gerben,

a lot is doable, it depends on by whom ;)
But this looks like a quite easy case.

Of course the answer is always “Lua tables”, but I guess the
translations would be most easy to maintain in a CSV file (you can edit
it in LibreOffice or Excel, while the latter often botches the encoding).

It could look like:

key;en;de;nl
yes;yes;ja;ja
LANG;English;Deutsch;Nederlands

i.e. the first column is the keyword and the other columns contain the
translated term (so you can also change the “original” version).

(We’re using the same in a LaTeX3 project made by Marei.)

Without researching I assume there are already Lua functions to read a
CSV file into a Lua table, and the lookup is easy – since I’m not fluent
in Lua, I won’t provide the function(s) for you.

BTW there is already \translate
(https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/translate) that changes text
depending on the current language.

And there is the translate module that changes terms within the whole
text:
https://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/modules/mkiv/m-translate.mkiv

Other options like .po files might be more versatile but also much more
involved.

This covers \translatephrase; for your figures I’d just just a language
variable in the path, like \externalfigure[images/\LANG/cow.pdf]
If this is always the current language, use \currentlanguage.
You can also setup the language dependent directory in
\setupexternalfigures.

Regarding modes, the current language is set as a system mode (*en,
*nl), and of course you can query modes with one of the many \doif
macros. (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modes)
Since it doesn’t make sense to try
\externalfigure[path/\currentmode/cow] (you never know how many modes
are active), you can set a macro or variable depending on a mode:

\doifmode{simple}{\setvariable{gerben}{level}{simple}}
and then
\externalfigure[images/\getvariable{gerben}{level}/\currentlanguage/cow]

Hraban

* Database of translations (was: Simple question)
@ 2022-05-10  7:16 ` Marco Patzer via ntg-context
From: Marco Patzer via ntg-context @ 2022-05-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 May 2022 00:15:30 +0200
Gerben Wierda via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> What is the easiest way to have a ‘database’ of translations for
> strings and maybe links?

Here's an idea:

\usemodule [translate]

%% \mainlanguage [nl]

\assigntranslation [en=alpha, nl=beta]\to\TRfoo
\translateinput [foo] [\TRfoo]

\assigntranslation [en=gamma, nl=delta]\to\TRbar
\translateinput [bar] [\TRbar]

\enableinputtranslation

\starttext
  foo bar
\stoptext

It's not a good solution, but it's a start. There's also

  \translate [en=foo, nl=bar]

But I don't know how to combine it with \translateinput. That would
remove the need of the \TR… macros.

Marco

* Re: Simple question
@ 2022-05-10 15:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2022-05-10 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Gerben Wierda via ntg-context schrieb am 10.05.2022 um 00:15:
> What is the easiest way to have a ‘database’ of translations for
> strings and maybe links?
>
> I now have 4 languages and 2 versions so 8 documents, but I’d like to
> have all translatable strings together so I can maintain these in a
> single file. Ideally I can do a file where the key of the translation
> is one language (say English) and the translations are part of that.
>
> Something I can call like this
>
> \translatephrase[English phrase][nl]
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][nl][simple]
>
> and where I can maintain all the translations a bit like this:
>
> \translationentry[English phrase]{
> \definetranslatephrase[nl]Nederlandse frase]
> \definetranslatephrase[fr][Phrase français]
> }
> }
>
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][simple][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file-simple.pdf]]
> \translatelocation[../LMTX-Output/without-ids/en/file.pdf][none][nl][../LMTX-Output/without-ids/nl/file.pdf]]
>

> Where the \translatelocation command can be used inside an
> \externalfigure command and \translatephrase can be used as as text.
>
> In the end I’d like to compile with
>
> context language=fr mode=simple mainfile.tex
>
> Doable?

To set language dependent texts you can use the labeltext mechanism
which is used by ConTeXt to change the captions for floats etc.

Besides the default \labeltext and \setuplabeltext commands you can
create your own instance of the mechanism for your texts.

%%%% begin example
\definelabelclass [gerben]

\setupgerbentext [en] [phrase=English phrase]
\setupgerbentext [nl] [phrase=Nederlandse frase]
\setupgerbentext [fr] [phrase=Phrase français]

%\mainlanguage[nl]
%\mainlanguage[fr]

\starttext
\gerbentext{phrase}
\stoptext
%%%% end example

To change images you use multiple sub folders where each folder has
images which the same name. In ConTeXt you can use a mode to choose
which directory is used to load the image. Another method is to map the
file names of the images to symbolic names and use only the symbolic
names in your document.

%%%% begin example
\setupexternalfigures [location={local,global,default}]

\useexternalfigure [simple] [cow.pdf]
%\useexternalfigure [simple] [hacker.png]

\starttext
\externalfigure[simple]
\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang

* Re: Simple question
@ 2022-05-10 16:47   ` Gerben Wierda via ntg-context
From: Gerben Wierda via ntg-context @ 2022-05-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.

Is it possible to change the name of the resulting PDF file based on the language and a mode?

So that with a command

	context language=fr mode=simple file.tex

the result is in

	file-simple-fr.pdf

and with

	context language=ru mode=none file.tex (or no mode given)

the result is

	file-ru.pdf

* Re: Simple question
@ 2022-05-10 18:05     ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2022-05-10 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

Don't know how if there's an automatic way, perhaps look into ctx processing instructions.
Anyway you can use
--result=name
As you have to set quite a few options on the command line (modes, language) you'll perhaps want to use a makefile anyway.

@ 2002-09-16 18:11 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-09-16 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Michel,

Did you try the font DIngbats from Herman Zapf?

See attachment

Willi

[-- Attachment #2: Triangle.tex --]

\setupbodyfont[ss,12pt]
\definefontsynonym[Dingbats][uzdr]
\definesymbol[box][\getglyph{Dingbats}{\char116}]
\def\Triangle{{\tfa\rotate[rotation=90]{\symbol[box]~}}}

\starttext
\subject{Dingbats from Herman Zapf}
\blank[2*big]
{\bf Usage:}
\blank[2*big]
\type{\definefontsynonym[Dingbats][uzdr]}
\blank
\type{\definesymbol[box][\getglyph{Dingbats}{\char113}]}
\blank
\type{\def\Check{{\tfa\symbol[box]~}}}
\blank[big]
This is the example: \Triangle \quad I order this item. \par

\stoptext

* Re: simple question
@ 2002-09-16 18:00 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-09-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hello,

Michel van Ast wrote:
> I have a simple question (hope the answer is simple as well).
> I use \triangleright to get an open triangle. Butâ?¦how do I get a
> â?~closedâ??, filled  triangle, like â-º (hope you can see something more than
> a squareâ?¦). What code should I use.
I think I should switch my mail reader to one which supports UTF8 ...
Anyway using an xterm and less I could actually see this symbol ;-)

See:
  texmf/doc/amstex/amsguide.dvi

This should do what you want:
  \setupbodyfont[ams]
  $\blacktriangleright$

Tobias
--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Re: simple question
       [not found] <009338BB68A541498BE072F8D0E602FA01ECA3@sbsserver.hoofdkant oor.lokaal>
@ 2002-09-16 14:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:53 PM 9/16/2002 +0200, Michel van Ast wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have a simple question (hope the answer is simple as well).
>I use \triangleright to get an open triangle. But…how do I get a
>‘closed’, filled  triangle, like ⭺ (hope you can see something more than
>a square…). What code should I use.

\setupbodyfont[ams]

$\blacktriangleright$

it all depends on if your font has such a symbol (lbr also works well)

>Then I have a more complicated question, I think…
>How can I use a symbol of my own (a little image) in a summary?

   \definefiguresymbol [blabla] [blabla.png]

which is actually just an wrapper around

   \definesymbol[blabla][\externalfigure...]

but more clever since it scales

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* simple question