* Printing problem
@ 2023-03-16 11:49 Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.

I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
"negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
"offending command".

So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
happening?

Thanks

/Mikael

[-- Attachment #2: dugga.pdf --]

* Re: Printing problem
@ 2023-03-16 12:02 ` Martin C. Moncrieffe via ntg-context
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin C. Moncrieffe via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Prints fine on a LaserJet Pro M501 from Preview.app.

__martin

On 16 Mar 2023, at 11:49, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

Hi all,

I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.

I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
"negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
"offending command".

So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
happening?

Thanks

/Mikael

* Re: Printing problem
@ 2023-03-16 12:31 ` Willi Egger via ntg-context
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Mikael,

As asked, I printed the page on a HP Officejet Pro 7740 as well in draft- as in high-quality mode.
The print-out looks ok in both cases, there is all text and no errors.

Kind regards

Willi

> On 16 Mar 2023, at 12:49, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
> clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
> the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
> corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.
>
> I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
> well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
> "negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
> right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
> "offending command".
>
> So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> happening?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Mikael
> <dugga.pdf>___________________________________________________________________________________

> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
> wiki     : https://contextgarden.net

* Re: Printing problem
@ 2023-03-16 13:15 ` Keith McKay via ntg-context
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Keith McKay via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sent from my phone to a HP Color LaserJet MFP M283 printer. Perfect print.
Keith McKay

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023, 11:51 Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context, <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
> clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
> the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
> corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.
>
> I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
> well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
> "negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
> right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
> "offending command".
>
> So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> happening?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Mikael

* Re: Printing problem
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-03-16 14:09 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Kyocera FS-C5100DN,
* Apple Preview: ok
* Adobe Acrobat Pro 9: doesn’t print, no error
* Adobe Acrobat Reader DC: PostScript Error (after "poäng")
* Qoppa PDF Studio 2019: ok
* Skim: ok
* Firefox (pdf.js): ok (prints as lowres image, as usual)
* Foxit PDF Reader 11: ok

Looks like it might be a problem with Adobe’s PS/PDF library.

Hraban

Am 16.03.23 um 12:49 schrieb Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
> clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
> the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
> corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.
>
> I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
> well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
> "negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
> right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
> "offending command".
>
> So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> happening?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Mikael

* Re: Printing problem
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-03-16 18:40 ` lynx--- via ntg-context
From: lynx--- via ntg-context @ 2023-03-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was able to print Mikael's PDF without any problem.

I used a HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M276W....BUT I should note that I also
used the PostScript driver available from HP's Linux-specific web pages:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/

Michael

On 2023-03-16 04:49, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have had some printing problems lately, and it is not perfectly
> clear to me (or to Hans, we have discussed this a bit) whether it is
> the printer that has a lack of memory or if the pdf files are somehow
> corrupted. It might have to do with type3 fonts.
>
> I attach a pdf file that does not print on our printer at work. Or
> well, it prints almost all of the page, but stops at the word
> "negativa" (or was it "egenvärden", I do not have the printout here
> right now). Then the printer also prints an error report about some
> "offending command".
>
> So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> happening?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Mikael

[-- Attachment #2: dugga.pdf --]

* Re: Printing problem
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-03-17 18:15 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-03-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 3/16/23 12:49, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> happening?

Hi Mikael,

a friend printed the file on a Canon 4235i (from Windows 10 with Acrobat
Reader DC), there were no printing problems and the result is
high-quality output (as I would expect from many ConTeXt-generated
documents).

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: Printing problem
@ 2023-03-20  9:33   ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-03-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 7:15 PM Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 3/16/23 12:49, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> > [...]
> > So, a request: If you have an easy access to a printer, can you print
> > this page and report back if all of it comes out, or what is
> > happening?
>
> Hi Mikael,
>
> a friend printed the file on a Canon 4235i (from Windows 10 with Acrobat
> Reader DC), there were no printing problems and the result is
> high-quality output (as I would expect from many ConTeXt-generated
> documents).
>
> Just in case it might help,
>
> Pablo

Thanks to all who tested. In the end I was not able to reproduce the
problem when printing from another computer that runs linux. I can
only reproduce when printing from the built-in pdf viewer in Chrome
OS. It only seems to happen when extensibles are "converted" into
type3 snippets (so that one can copy a big parentheses that has pieces
and get the correct unicode character, for example). This can be
disabled with

\disabledirectives[math.extensibles]

and I can use that when printing from this computer. I should probably
report somehow to Google, but that seems less clear how to do, if
possible.

Thanks again!

/Mikael

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-10  9:50       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-03-10  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> Hans—
>
> The problem appears to be the Bonum font from the TeX Gyre
> distribution. If I change the font to GFSDidot, all is well.
>
> Too bad—Bonum is a good font, I think, for papers that are to be
> presented by reading.

Can you make a small example file, with \pdfcompresslevel=0 that we can
use to communicate the problem with Jacko/Janusz?

Hans

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-10  9:47     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-03-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 24 page PDF file produced using ConTeXt  ver: 2007.02.21
>>> 11:55 MKII and the latest TeXShop. I can only print pp. 1-3 of this
>>> file with TeXShop. Acrobat Pro, however, has no trouble printing the
>>> entire file (mercifully�this paper is for a conference for which I
>>> leave tomorrow) and TeXShop has no problem with my other files, some
>>> of which are quite long.
>>>
>>> So I do I figure out what the problem is? It seems to be with the
>>> file, but I have no idea what. The encoding is hardly weird or
>>> unusual.
>>>
>>> Though I can print the thing, the problem is still somewhat pressing.
>>> I sent the file to two people who usually have no difficulty with my
>>> PDFs. But this time one could not open the file�it was reported as
>>> damaged.
>>>

>> hm, can you preflight the document?
>>
>> also, take the latest pdftex since there has been font bugs recently
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Hans—
>
> I am not sure what you mean but I am now against the wall. I
> continued to edit the document and now the PDF is not printable (past
> page 3) at all—Acrobat Pro 8, TeXShop, PDFView are all stymied.
>
> How do I preflight the document  and where is the latest pdftex? (Is
> it not in the latest ConTeXt?)

pdftex is in the tex live repos

concerning the pdf ... can you send me the pdf?

Hans

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 17:42     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-03-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans—

The problem appears to be the Bonum font from the TeX Gyre
distribution. If I change the font to GFSDidot, all is well.

Too bad—Bonum is a good font, I think, for papers that are to be
presented by reading.

Alan

On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Alan Bowen wrote:
>>> I have a 24 page PDF file produced using ConTeXt  ver: 2007.02.21
>>> 11:55 MKII and the latest TeXShop. I can only print pp. 1-3 of this
>>> file with TeXShop. Acrobat Pro, however, has no trouble printing the
>>> entire file (mercifully�this paper is for a conference for which I
>>> leave tomorrow) and TeXShop has no problem with my other files, some
>>> of which are quite long.
>>>
>>> So I do I figure out what the problem is? It seems to be with the
>>> file, but I have no idea what. The encoding is hardly weird or
>>> unusual.
>>>
>>> Though I can print the thing, the problem is still somewhat
>>> pressing.
>>> I sent the file to two people who usually have no difficulty with my
>>> PDFs. But this time one could not open the file�it was reported as
>>> damaged.
>>>
>> hm, can you preflight the document?
>>
>> also, take the latest pdftex since there has been font bugs recently
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hans—
>
> I am not sure what you mean but I am now against the wall. I
> continued to edit the document and now the PDF is not printable (past
> page 3) at all—Acrobat Pro 8, TeXShop, PDFView are all stymied.
>
> How do I preflight the document  and where is the latest pdftex? (Is
> it not in the latest ConTeXt?)
>
> Alan

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 17:31   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-03-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya—

I am using character protrusion.

So far as printing goes, TexShop still prints long files with
protrusion turned on and still fails with the question file when I
turn it off.

But, as for not being able to open the file, I will check to see what
the recipient is using to read it. That is a good tip. Many thanks.

Alan

On Mar 6, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>> Though I can print the thing, the problem is still somewhat pressing.
>> I sent the file to two people who usually have no difficulty with my
>> PDFs. But this time one could not open the file—it was reported as
>> damaged.
>
> Do you by any chance use character protrusion. I had trouble with
> character protrusion with pdf-1.4. It works correctly on my computer
> (WinXP+Acrobat 7.0) but, I could not open the file on Solaris+Acroread
> 5.0. Acroread 7.0 opened the file correctly on Solaris, so I assumed
> that acroread 5.0 does not support the new method of character
> protrusion of pdftex.
>
> I sent the file to someone on a Mac. If they double clicked on the
> file, acrobat 7 reported the file was damaged. If they opened the file
> from File->Open menu, it opened correctly. Since it was not my
> computer, and the file was opening correctly, I assumed it was a
> problem with the configuration on the Mac. (As you can see, I am very
> confident that pdftex is doing the right thing :). Disable character
> protrusion got rid of the problem with acroread 5.0 and Mac, so I did
> not worry about it more (there were other things to worry about, like
> the content of the pdf)
>
> Aditya

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 16:29 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-06 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06 15:55       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-03-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2007/3/6, Alan Bowen <acbowen@princeton.edu>:
>> How do I preflight the document  and where is the latest pdftex? (Is
>> it not in the latest ConTeXt?)
>
> Get the last TeX Live (http://www.tug.org/tex-live/); the ConTeXt in
> it is quite recent.
>
> Best
>    Martin

Hi, Martin—

I am running the final TeXLive 2007 (from http://www.tug.org/mactex/)
with ConTeXt  ver: 2007.02.21 11:55 MKII.

Alan

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 15:33     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-03-06 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/3/6, Alan Bowen <acbowen@princeton.edu>:
> How do I preflight the document  and where is the latest pdftex? (Is
> it not in the latest ConTeXt?)

Get the last TeX Live (http://www.tug.org/tex-live/); the ConTeXt in
it is quite recent.

Best
   Martin

* Re: printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 15:30   ` Alan Bowen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-03-06 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06 13:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-03-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> I have a 24 page PDF file produced using ConTeXt  ver: 2007.02.21
> 11:55 MKII and the latest TeXShop. I can only print pp. 1-3 of this
> file with TeXShop. Acrobat Pro, however, has no trouble printing the
> entire file (mercifully�this paper is for a conference for which I
> leave tomorrow) and TeXShop has no problem with my other files, some
> of which are quite long.
>
> So I do I figure out what the problem is? It seems to be with the
> file, but I have no idea what. The encoding is hardly weird or unusual.
>
> Though I can print the thing, the problem is still somewhat pressing.
> I sent the file to two people who usually have no difficulty with my
> PDFs. But this time one could not open the file�it was reported as
> damaged.

hm, can you preflight the document?

also, take the latest pdftex since there has been font bugs recently

Hans

* printing problem
@ 2007-03-06 12:22 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2007-03-06 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

@ 2001-11-08 17:06 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-08 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

We have a color printer (oce 715 aka canon) with a fiery rip. When we print
from acrobat directly, the same lines come out in different linewidths;
when we print from acrobat as image, things are ok (bit slow and no control
over duplex). PRinting from GSview via the windows gdi goes ok (but again
slow). Should i deduce from this that a fiery rip cannot handle ps/pdf ok?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl