* update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-01  8:27 Hans Hagen via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-01  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

There have been some mails about punctuation spacing and a fix was added
to the engine that related to that. As tests showed it to be okay so we
made an update. It took a bit longer than normal because we were in the
middle of some other math stuff: additional fonts and extensibles.

Daniel Flipo maintains a few math fonts (like concrete, xcharter,
erewhon, kp, euler) and the last few weeks more extensive support for
extensibles was added and concrete became quite nice too, so these fonts
make a nice benchmark. As they are part of the lmtx install and we made
sure to support them.

In the process we adapted our 2023 roadmap of which part is attached (we
included an example end then decided to show of concrete).

When we go through the process of 'upgrading' we noticed some
interesting names for symbols and 'constructs'. Quite some come from
plain and/or amsmath (in the past taco and aditya did some porting to
context) and we're not always sure if something is really used (or even
what it was intended for) so if you notice something weird or missing,
let us know. Examples are welcome too. It might also be that something
can go away because it's obsolete or never needed (so far we could
resist te kick-out-symbole-name temptation when it comes to symbol names
that we think no sane user can remember or imagine to be there).

When often add extra tests to the test suite (math subsection).

Hans & Mikael

ps. Alan and I are still messing around with some cross referencing.
That code is still experimental and can have issues that we're looking
at but hard to nail down (huge complex cross-referencing documents).
More about that later.

==================================

We added the tex of the pdf below

====== extract from roadmap ======

\usemodule[article-basic,abbreviations-logos]

\setupbodyfont[concrete]

\starttext

\startsubject[title=Math in \CONTEXT\ roadmap]

\startitemize[n]

\startitem
     After playing with math support for more than a year, we have come
to the
     conclusion that it is time to move on. We have already discarded italic
     correction and now are replacing rules with extensibles. Much was
already in
     place (and applied) but experiences with type one antykwas made us
review
     some \OPENTYPE\ fonts. Not using rules makes some of them look
better. The
     effect is subtle and probably not \AMS\ compliant, but we think
that it will
     work out well for simple math like fractions of decimal numbers.
     Consequently, we have added to our shrinking to-do list the burden to
     investigate whether we can remove those obsolete code paths from
the engine.
     After all, who needs italic correction, who prefers ugly rules to
beautiful
     glyphs, and who understands all these font parameters? Furthermore,
after all
     these years, we don't expect \OPENTYPE\ font and \UNICODE\ math
technologies
     to improve much; we don't know if \MICROSOFT\ is developing their
technology
     further at all. Therefore, we are confident that what we are doing
is the way
     it should have been done when math was upgraded. Hopefully users
will notice
     the improvements.
\stopitem

\startitem
     Math also means physics and units (that topic was brought up
recently on the
     list by Gavin). Therefore, because we're in cleanup mode, we decided to
     eliminate some more. With \ISO\ now in place for a long time, we
are going to
     ignore the existence of the inch as unit from now on. The unit will
probably
     remain in the engine for nostalgic reasons, but it will no be
accepted in
     MWE. Instead, we will provide some more modern, culturally correct,
     kid-friendly units that we will use in examples, manuals and such.
Because
     the four-person strong team dealing with this wants to avoid making
mistakes,
     we will go through a careful and scientifically sound process of
calibration
     first, using a selected tex savvy audience. We expect these new
units to be
     stable a month from now. Believe it or not, in the process of
documenting all
     this, we found a buglet in the new math dimension spacing, so it
has already
     paid off. Expect to hear more in a month or so, and enjoy your
inches as long
     as you still can. In case you wonder how this relates to math other
than
     mentioned: the math subsystem has 'mu' as adaptive unit, and that
inspired is
     to come up with one for text (in addition to two new more or less fixed
     units).
\stopitem

\startitem
     The math family model is a fundamental concept in \TEX\ but we
think we can
     do without. First of all, \OPENTYPE\ math fonts have (design)
script and
     scriptscript sizes built in, so for that we have one family.
Second, only
     full bold (heavy) makes sense as companion for regular math which is
     something that in practice we can support otherwise. So, this makes us
     consider dropping families altogether which then provides (mem)
space for
     even more classes or dictionaries. If we nevertheless decide to keep
     families, we can certainly go with less than we have now, maybe two
(or four
     if we want to be generous and also resemble original tex) of them
is enough.
     We cannot imagine users wanting more. As a side note: completely
divorcing
     families could make the math engine a bit leaner. It is hard to
explain and
     users only care about the outcome. So more on this later.
\stopitem

\startitem
     Another path to explore is to identify the few building blocks that are
     needed for typesetting math, and then doing a bit more at the tex
end. Of
     course that would nil quite some earlier effort, which is a bit
frustrating,
     but still \unknown\ maybe the math engine can be reduced to a
fraction of
     what is is now.
\stopitem

\startitem
     When we look at the math fonts and some characters in there, we
sometimes
     wonder what makes sense. For some, searching in e.g. arXiv brings
no hit.
     Basically we have obsolete math symbols and currently used one.
That made us
     think about ancient math versus modern math, just like there is
ancient greek
     and modern greek. Because math is a script one can wonder about
obsolete math
     dialects with symbols just like there are plenty deal scripts in
\UNICODE. We
     already are working on dictionaries but another axis is useability.
\stopitem

\startitem
     We no longer have the small / large extensible family model so we can
     simplify delimiters in the engine. Not something users should worry
about.
\stopitem

\startitem
     We're not sure why math is considered stable because everything moved
     forward. Therefore we're preparing a bid for extra math symbols as
needed in
     modern explorative and daring math thesis. When symbols are really
used, and
     we have proof of that, it should be possible to get them un
\UNICODE, just
     like all these emoji. We welcome input and as an example of
currently faked
     symbols we added some to the distribution as easter eggs. One example:

     Mikael got contacted by a stressed student working on a thesis on
     probability. This student needed to typeset the characteristic
function of a
     random variable \im {X} with density function \im {f_{X}}, and it was
     insisted to use another notation than the (wide) hat, that was
already used
     for something else. For this reason the \tex {widerandomhat} was
introduced,

     \useMPlibrary[newmath]

     \startformula
         E[\ee^{\ii tX}] = \widerandomhat{f_{X}}(t)\mtp{,}
         E[\ee^{\ii t(X_1+X_2)}] = \widerandomhat{f_{X_1} \ast
f_{X_2}}(t)\mtp{.}
     \stopformula

     Naturally, it is automatically scaled, just like the ordinary wide hat

     \startformula
         \widehat{a+b+c+d+e+f} \neq \widerandomhat{a+b+c+d+e+f}
     \stopformula

     Once the thesis is printed, we will contact the \UNICODE\ Consortium to
     suggest that it gets a slot.
\stopitem

\startitem
     Our most ambitious project is a reverse engineering one, which is
why it is
     conducted at the engineering faculty of the Dnul university (we cannot
     reveal the real name yet). In math articles one can find
visualizing like
     $x\leftarrow x$ and there are plenty of \TEX\ commands that have
arrow or
     hook in their names. If you look at the names of math symbols plenty
     are kind of weird. We think it is not natural and are considering a
\quote
     {natural language math input} project, where you tell what it is
and get the
     symbols you expect. For that we need to analyze typeset math and
from the
     context as well as visualization derive a dataset that we can feed
into a
     machine learning subsystem that then can be used to turn input into
type. We
     have several stages in mind spanning years but it can be fun. Think
of it
     like \quote {untagged math} which then of course results in \quote
{untagged
     pdf}, but better!
\stopitem

\stopitemize

Mikael & Hans

\stopsubject

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

[-- Attachment #2: 230401-0.pdf --]

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-01 13:46 ` Willi Egger via ntg-context
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2023-04-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cute, as always today :-)

Willi

> [...]
>    conducted at the engineering faculty of the Dnul university (we cannot
>    reveal the real name yet). In math articles one can find visualizing like
>    $x\leftarrow x$ and there are plenty of \TEX\ commands that have arrow or
>    hook in their names. If you look at the names of math symbols plenty
>    are kind of weird. We think it is not natural and are considering a \quote
>    {natural language math input} project, where you tell what it is and get the
>    symbols you expect. For that we need to analyze typeset math and from the
>    context as well as visualization derive a dataset that we can feed into a
>    machine learning subsystem that then can be used to turn input into type. We
>    have several stages in mind spanning years but it can be fun. Think of it
>    like \quote {untagged math} which then of course results in \quote {untagged

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  1:46 ` Alan Braslau via ntg-context
From: Alan Braslau via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Alan Braslau

Here in Colorado, we need $\widecowboyhat$.
Of course, care should be taken so that it typeset properly in
right-to-left as well.

Alan

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 10:27:41 +0200

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  8:35 ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 10:28, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
wrote:

> Hi,

As a side note (it's 2 april now)
the concrete font of the pdf  is not rendered well both on web and t on
win/linux desktop .
No surprise,  I did some experiments  with mflua years ago and  my results
had the same problem.
Is it a known issue?

--
luigi

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  9:05   ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 10:35 AM luigi scarso via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 10:28, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

> As a side note (it's 2 april now)
> the concrete font of the pdf  is not rendered well both on web and t on win/linux desktop .
> No surprise,  I did some experiments  with mflua years ago and  my results  had the same problem.
> Is it a known issue?

If you talk about the math font, I do not see what you mean. Daniel
has worked a lot on his fonts, and they now work well.

If you talk about the text font, Hans changed the concrete typescript
so that it uses the variable "mono" Latin modern instead of the
concrete text font that comes from Computer modern unicode. But the
font is also boldened slightly, and perhaps that is what causes your
problem (It did look weird on my phone for half a second or so before
it "got normal"). In okular I see no problems.

/Mikael

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  9:19     ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 11:06, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> If you talk about the math font, I do not see what you mean. Daniel
> has worked a lot on his fonts, and they now work well.

indeed the body font is not concrete opentype math but it looks very
similar at first sight
(of course... ). I was deceived because I remember its shapes quite well (C
,g a ).

> If you talk about the text font, Hans changed the concrete typescript
> so that it uses the variable "mono" Latin modern instead of the
> concrete text font that comes from Computer modern unicode. But the
> font is also boldened slightly, and perhaps that is what causes your
> problem (It did look weird on my phone for half a second or so before
> it "got normal"). In okular I see no problems.

here evince & mupdf are quite ok (evince somewhat bolder than mupdf),
okular looks not so good. They all have a caching-something,
after the first zooms  the pdf is rendered differently.

--
luigi

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  9:29   ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 10:35, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 10:28, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <
> ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

> As a side note (it's 2 april now)
> the concrete font of the pdf  is not rendered well both on web and t on
> win/linux desktop .
> No surprise,  I did some experiments  with mflua years ago and  my
> results  had the same problem.

getting old... the pdf doesn't look so bad as I was used to remember
https://meeting.contextgarden.net/2017/talks/2017-09-14-luigi-mflua/slides.pdf

So yes , it's the instance of the variable font.

--
luigi

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02  9:41     ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 11:29 AM luigi scarso via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 10:35, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 10:28, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>> As a side note (it's 2 april now)
>> the concrete font of the pdf  is not rendered well both on web and t on win/linux desktop .
>> No surprise,  I did some experiments  with mflua years ago and  my results  had the same problem.
>

> getting old... the pdf doesn't look so bad as I was used to remember
> https://meeting.contextgarden.net/2017/talks/2017-09-14-luigi-mflua/slides.pdf
>
> So yes , it's the instance of the variable font.

Oh, that looks like a very nice talk, I wish I had been there.

/Mikael

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02 11:57       ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luigi scarso via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/2/23 11:19, luigi scarso via ntg-context wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 11:06, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>> wrote:
>
>     If you talk about the math font, I do not see what you mean. Daniel
>     has worked a lot on his fonts, and they now work well.
>

> indeed the body font is not concrete opentype math but it looks very
> similar at first sight

Hi Luigi,

according to type-imp-concrete.mkiv, Concrete-Math.otf seems to be only
used for the math font.

> here evince & mupdf are quite ok (evince somewhat bolder than mupdf),

Well, evince displays it wrong (this is an already known issue with fake
bold fonts in evince/poppler, reported years ago
[https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/645]).

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02 12:21         ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 13:57, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 4/2/23 11:19, luigi scarso via ntg-context wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 11:06, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
> > <ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>> wrote:
> >
> >     If you talk about the math font, I do not see what you mean. Daniel
> >     has worked a lot on his fonts, and they now work well.
> >

> > indeed the body font is not concrete opentype math but it looks very
> > similar at first sight
>
> Hi Luigi,
>
> according to type-imp-concrete.mkiv, Concrete-Math.otf seems to be only
> used for the math font.
>
> > here evince & mupdf are quite ok (evince somewhat bolder than mupdf),
>
> Well, evince displays it wrong (this is an already known issue with fake
> bold fonts in evince/poppler, reported years ago
> [https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/645]).

hm, 4years ago, quite old... and this is not a fake bold, this is an
instance of a variable font.
But yes, it seems that evince still has the same problem.

--
luigi

* Re: update / punctuation / math
@ 2023-04-02 15:42           ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-04-02 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luigi scarso via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/2/23 14:21, luigi scarso via ntg-context wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 at 13:57, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>
>     Well, evince displays it wrong (this is an already known issue with fake
>     bold fonts in evince/poppler, reported years ago
>     https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/-/issues/645).
>
> hm, 4years ago, quite old... and this is not a fake bold, this is an
> instance of a variable font.
> But yes, it seems that evince still has the same problem.

Sorry, Luigi, I meant
http://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/attachments/20230401/1f8c6cc9/attachment-0001.pdf.

According to type-imp-concrete.mkiv, text has the feature boldened-10
applied to it.

Even with a variable font (which might not be the case in the link
above), extending the font fakes the bold, such as in:

  \definefontfamily
    [mainface]
    [rm]
    [Source Sans 3 VF]
    [features={default, boldened-10}]

  \setupbodyfont[mainface]

  \starttext
  \input zapf
  \stoptext

Evince displays it poorly and this is what happens in the link above.

Pablo