* autoconfig
@ 1997-04-01 19:28 Byron Rakitzis
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1997-04-01 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Ok, I've been thinking some more about this and I went through
rc's config.h to see what could be done about it all. Here's
a walk through the list of options in config.h, I wanted to see
if I could get rid of most or all of them:

> #define DEFAULTPATH "/usr/ucb", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "."

I think this can be deduced by running /bin/sh as a login shell
with $PATH unset, and snarfing the output of "echo $PATH".

> #define NODIRENT
> #define SVSIGS

Handled by GNU autoconf.

> #define NOCMDARG
> #define DEVFD
> #define TMPDIR "/var/tmp"

I am sorely tempted to remove named pipe support. It never worked
properly. So something is needed to auto-sense the particular
encoding for /dev/fd (systems encode this differently), which I
doubt is supplied by GNU autoconf.

> #define NOLIMITS

Should be handled by autoconf, or can be extended to do so.

> #define NOSIGCLD

Handled by autoconf.

> #define READLINE

Leave this as-is.

> #define NOEXECVE

I think I should bundle my fake execve; it is a very small amount
of code and will only cause extra file opens and the like on an
exec failure, which is out of the "performance loop".

> #define DEFAULTINTERP "/bin/sh"

Ditto, this should just be a standard feature.

> #define PROTECT_ENV

Given that every /bin/sh I have tried croaks on rc-native environment
variable representation in some way or other, PROTECT_ENV should
be the only method for encoding env. variable names.

> #define NOECHO

rc's echo should be built in.

> #define NOJOB

Does anyone use this? It forces sh-like semantics for backgrounding.
Why should it be an option? I haven't found a use for it, but I think
I put it in in self-defense early on.

My conclusion: It seems that rc + an autoconfig script could take
out all the configuration options. I don't see the point of going
with Posix, then.

* Re:  autoconfig
@ 1997-04-01 23:52 Alan Watson
From: Alan Watson @ 1997-04-01 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: byron; +Cc: rc

> I am sorely tempted to remove named pipe support. It never worked
> properly.

I use it all the time (on Digital UNIX). It might not work properly,
but it works well enough to be useful.

Alan Watson

* Re: autoconfig
@ 1997-04-02  9:38 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1997-04-02  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: byron, rc

> My conclusion: It seems that rc + an autoconfig script could take
> out all the configuration options. I don't see the point of going
> with Posix, then.
 Posix feels more "professional" than autoconfig. Perhaps I'm just very vain.

Bengt

* Re: autoconfig
@ 1997-04-02 17:30 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1997-04-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bengtk, byron, rc

>  Posix feels more "professional" than autoconfig. Perhaps I'm just very vain.

It's not vain, just very silly.

Until one standard is 100% of the "marketplace" that you wish to serve,
then leveraging well-understood, succesful, tools like FSF's autoconf
are the way to go.

This is my experience based on having developed and released several
software packages to the net at large.
	/r$

* Re: autoconfig
@ 1997-04-02 20:24 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1997-04-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: byron, schwartz; +Cc: rc

>But it works just barely well enough for SunOS, which has no /dev/fd

Ok, I'm convinced that people use named pipes w/rc! It will be no
problem to leave it as-is.

>| > #define NOJOB

>| Does anyone use this? It forces sh-like semantics for backgrounding.
>If anyone ever ports it to Plan 9, it might be handy.

Well, NOJOB *forces* sh-like semantics for backgrounding, but those
semantics are used by default when the SIGTT* signals are undefined:

#if !defined(NOJOB) && defined(SIGTTOU) && defined(SIGTTIN) && defined(SIGTSTP)
                        setsigdefaults(FALSE);
			[...]

I'm asking whether anyone forces NOJOB on a job-control Unix.

Byron.

* Re: autoconfig
@ 1997-04-05 18:38 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1997-04-05 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc, wkt

Greetings,

Since it is a very large majority for autoconfig (and some gentle
remarks about my wrongfull interest in Posix :-) I can only add that I
belive that one Posix is better than several other "standards" _at the
same time_. One by one the others might be "better", but it is their
multitude that makes me pine for Posix.

OK?

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengtk@damek.kth.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''