The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Clem's Law.
@ 2022-06-27  3:58 steve jenkin
From: steve jenkin @ 2022-06-27  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

I thought this comment was very good.

I went looking for “Clem’s Law” (presume Clem Cole) and struck out.

Any hints anyone can suggest or history on the comment?

steve j

==========

Larry McVoy wrote Fri Sep 17 10:44:25 AEST 2021
<https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2021-September/024424.html>

	Plan 9 is very cool but I am channeling my inner Clem,
	Plan 9 didn't meet Clem's law.
	It was never compelling enough to make the masses love it.
	Linux was good enough.

==========
--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

* [TUHS] Re: Clem's Law.
@ 2022-06-27  4:37 ` josh
From: josh @ 2022-06-27  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve jenkin; +Cc: TUHS

> Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> My own take on this is what I call "Cole's Law" Simple economics
> always beats sophisticated architecture.

Cole's Law is a bit of a better name than Clem's Law :P. Clem has
invoked his law on this mailing list in various contexts, check out
the archives.

Josh

@ 2022-06-27  4:51   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2022-06-27  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: josh; +Cc: steve jenkin, TUHS

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022, 10:39 PM josh <joshnatis0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> > My own take on this is what I call "Cole's Law" Simple economics
> > always beats sophisticated architecture.
>
> Cole's Law is a bit of a better name than Clem's Law :P. Clem has
> invoked his law on this mailing list in various contexts, check out
> the archives.

I thought Cole's Law was thinly sliced cabbage. .

Warner

@ 2022-06-27  7:14   ` Steve Jenkin
From: Steve Jenkin @ 2022-06-27  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Thanks very much for the help.

	"Cole's law of economics vs. sophisticated technology”
and
	"Cole's law that *Simple Economics always beats Sophisticated Architecture*”

———

Earliest ref I could find, Jan 2020

	[TUHS] [TUHS -> moving to COFF] # and the Preprocessor
	<https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2020-January/019809.html>

with a thread in Dec 2020

	[TUHS] Cole's Slaw
	<https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2020-December/022587.html>