The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-30 20:26 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-08-30 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Clem Cole:

  Clearly from the time, ditroff did not yet exist.   The more I think about
  it, Brian K actually might know some of the story.

===

I'm quite sure Brian Kernighan knows the full story of the origins
of typesetter-independent troff (as it was originally called, in
CSTR 97, published in 1981; the binary was just /usr/bin/troff).

The reason I'm so sure of that is that it was Brian who rewrote
troff to bring it into the modern era and to make it supportable.
He's also the author of the CSTR.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-25 23:14 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-08-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Clem Cole

    > Looking at the v6 distribution tape I have, the assembler versions of
    > roff and nroff was there

Whoa! The standard V6 distribution tape, as in the one there are a couple of
copies of in the repository, does not have that.

Do you have that in machine-readable form? If so, can you get it to Mr. Toomey
ASAP?

    > The order I remember is this ... V5, V6, Patches, Typesetter C, TS, V7

Where do USG and PWB fit into that?

The repository has PWB (or, what is _claimed_ to be PWB), which is how I know
the MIT system is PWB. But there is nothing of the others (except the kernel
manual for USG, which shows that the version described in it is basically V6).

If anyone has TS in _any_ form (including hardcopy listings, please speak up!
Those 'early' PDP-11 versions are very poorly documented now, and I'd love to
get more on them.

    Noel

* [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-24  7:02 arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-08-24  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

My two cents, ...

> From: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:30:19 -0400
> To: ron@ronnatalie.com
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel
>
> Yep.  Im pretty sure I remember void being in typesetter C also.   IIRC the
> differences between that version of Dennis???s compiler and what was included
> in 7th Edition was mostly in the libraries ie stdio was first released as
> part of the typesetter compiler but it was still a work in progress.

K&R 1 did not have void or structure assignment. Those came later,
although I'm not sure when.  They may have been mentioned in an
appendix; my copy isn't handy to check.

At what point did each struct become its own namespace? I think
around the time of K&R1.

> From: Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:52:24 -0400
> To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel

> The big changes to the language were between 6th Edition and Typesetter
> which were done in concert if not to support Brian???s work on the troff
> rewrite.  Plus the first draft of book was being written around then also.

The troff rewrite was later, circa '81 or so. Definitely NOT in the
V6/V7 timeframe.

Arnold