The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-30 20:26 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-08-30 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Clem Cole:

  Clearly from the time, ditroff did not yet exist.   The more I think about
  it, Brian K actually might know some of the story.

===

I'm quite sure Brian Kernighan knows the full story of the origins
of typesetter-independent troff (as it was originally called, in
CSTR 97, published in 1981; the binary was just /usr/bin/troff).

The reason I'm so sure of that is that it was Brian who rewrote
troff to bring it into the modern era and to make it supportable.
He's also the author of the CSTR.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-30 20:48 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:27 PM Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

> Clem Cole:
>
>   Clearly from the time, ditroff did not yet exist.   The more I think
> about
>   it, Brian K actually might know some of the story.
>
> ===
>
> I'm quite sure Brian Kernighan knows the full story of the origins

That was not what I was saying....  (yes, I know Brian wrote ditroff and
have spoken at length to him about actually).
What, I was saying since he was Brian Ried's advisor on Scribe (during that
timeframe BTW), he might know some of the other details I refered too.
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-25 23:56 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-25 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 7:14 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Clem Cole
>
>     > Looking at the v6 distribution tape I have, the assembler versions of
>     > roff and nroff was there
>
> Whoa! The standard V6 distribution tape, as in the one there are a couple
> of
> copies of in the repository, does not have that.

The v6 stuff is in Warrens archives.  The files are in the ./s7 directory:
{,n}roff[1-8].s  show dates of July 17, 1975

> Do you have that in machine-readable form? If so, can you get it to Mr.
> Toomey
> ASAP?
>

>     > The order I remember is this ... V5, V6, Patches, Typesetter C, TS,
> V7
>
> Where do USG and PWB fit into that?

This is order of the releases  we had at CMU.

PWB 1.0 was before USG was formed I want to say '77 Mashey lead the team
for sure and I think Frazer may have been part.

USG was Created and APS and Ted were two of First hackers who were there.
Ted tried to get me at some point but I did not want to move to NJ.

Fwiw: The job of USG was to support Unix for the operating companies that
wanted to use Unix at the TelCos.   Steve Johnson I think went over there
from Research at some point (I assume to lead the development tools).

PWB 2.0 was the first Formal full USG release - I think in 1980 but they
did stuff before that.  steve might remember who the original managers were
And other things they released -  I thought Mashey had moved on by then.
Korn's stuff became the Core of the toolkit releases at some point but
dates on that are fuzzy in my memory.

also, Until PWB 3.0 (aka System III) none of the USG releases were licensed
to universities or anyone outside the Bell System . .   but a number of
at&t employees brought it with them On their OYOC times so 1.0, 2.0 etc all
leaked.

I thought TS was done in MH not Summit.  Heinz L was doing Merit around
that time too.    As I understand it, the TS kernel was attempt at bringing
the PWB 1.0 changes in line with what Research had at the time.  Some later
version of That kernel plus some of the Columbus changes for things like
shared memory and ipc became either PWB 2.0/3.0.

PWB 4.0 went to the TelCos but was not released outside.  I don't know of
any University that was interested in it because by the BSD was available
so even if an employee brought it, I don't think many people wanted it.

> The repository has PWB (or, what is _claimed_ to be PWB), which is how I
> know
> the MIT system is PWB. But there is nothing of the others (except the
> kernel
> manual for USG, which shows that the version described in it is basically
> V6)

Right that was leaked somehow.

.

> If anyone has TS in _any_ form (including hardcopy listings, please speak
> up!

I have looked in fact the week I did a huge clean out in the basement.  So
far nothing new. I'll let you know if I find anything readable.

> Those 'early' PDP-11 versions are very poorly documented now, and I'd love
> get more on them.

Yeah as I said it was stream with a lot of cross pollination.

Clem
--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-25 23:14 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-08-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Clem Cole

    > Looking at the v6 distribution tape I have, the assembler versions of
    > roff and nroff was there

Whoa! The standard V6 distribution tape, as in the one there are a couple of
copies of in the repository, does not have that.

Do you have that in machine-readable form? If so, can you get it to Mr. Toomey
ASAP?

    > The order I remember is this ... V5, V6, Patches, Typesetter C, TS, V7

Where do USG and PWB fit into that?

The repository has PWB (or, what is _claimed_ to be PWB), which is how I know
the MIT system is PWB. But there is nothing of the others (except the kernel
manual for USG, which shows that the version described in it is basically V6).

If anyone has TS in _any_ form (including hardcopy listings, please speak up!
Those 'early' PDP-11 versions are very poorly documented now, and I'd love to
get more on them.

    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-25 23:02         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John P. Linderman; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Fsck was very much a CMU program. I had a small hand in it - the reason why
the errors Messages are upper case in fact. (a different story).    That
said it was hardly a new idea - Ted modelled it from a similar program he
saw at UMich on MTS and one I ran on TSS called the file system checker.
 im guessing there may have been other programs like it.

Before fsck Ken had icheck ncheck and dcheck.  IIRC Masheys team in PWB @
Whippany I think, wrote fsdb which shows up around the same time     I also
think the Columbus folks may have something early on also.

Ted took fsck back To USG and it became part of the Summit releases.  Bill
Joy had been his roommate at Michigan which I think is how to made to ucb.
But Joy had it there before I showed up.

Clem

@ 2018-08-25 22:19       ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2018-08-25 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-08-25 19:58     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 2:38 PM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> The APS work started in the summer of 1979. See
> http://www.eprg.org/papers/202paper.pdf
> and see some of the other stuff at
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/index.html.
>
> I think that's after V7 was released.

Ok, so that was clearly the first ditroff.

Typesetter C *must have been the original troff release* which was separate
from V6; but I don't remember what all was in the release.   Looking at the

@ 2018-08-25 18:30   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2018-08-25 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, clemc, arnold

The APS work started in the summer of 1979. See http://www.eprg.org/papers/202paper.pdf
and see some of the other stuff at
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/index.html.

I think that's after V7 was released.

Arnold

@ 2018-08-24 12:00 ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2018-08-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, tuhs

Arnold, I caution on absolutes.   Typesetter C predates V7.  It was for V6 but a release of ditroff  may have been after V7. - do remember something like that in the early 80s.  What I do not remember the order of which compilers.  The driver for writing ditroff was the Labs getting an APS5 typesetter which was in the late 70s.

And (I’m less) certain here, I think Bourne once told me they used the APS5 for the V7 manual set masters because it supported more fonts.

Btw. The whole reason why typesetter C had a compiler included was the v6 compiler was not insufficient (primarily missing support for stdio) but V7 was not.

That said the dates and some of the ordering are fuzzy in my mind at this point.  I’m trying to use other things that I have absolute dates for and trying line them up.

We had V5, quickly upgraded the V6, then TS and finally V7.  I left in late Spring ‘79.   That order I know is right and Ted was the reason we had TS as he brought it with him in 76 / 77.  (Same for the proofs for K&R1).

We got typesetter C at some point I thought before Ted brought TS but that’s fuzzy.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

> On Aug 24, 2018, at 3:02 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
>
> My two cents, ...
>
>> From: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:30:19 -0400
>> To: ron@ronnatalie.com
>> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel
>>
>> Yep.  Im pretty sure I remember void being in typesetter C also.   IIRC the
>> differences between that version of Dennis???s compiler and what was included
>> in 7th Edition was mostly in the libraries ie stdio was first released as
>> part of the typesetter compiler but it was still a work in progress.
>
> K&R 1 did not have void or structure assignment. Those came later,
> although I'm not sure when.  They may have been mentioned in an
> appendix; my copy isn't handy to check.
>
> At what point did each struct become its own namespace? I think
> around the time of K&R1.
>
>> From: Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:52:24 -0400
>> To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [TUHS] C++ / Kernel

>> The big changes to the language were between 6th Edition and Typesetter
>> which were done in concert if not to support Brian???s work on the troff
>> rewrite.  Plus the first draft of book was being written around then also.
>
> The troff rewrite was later, circa '81 or so. Definitely NOT in the
> V6/V7 timeframe.
>
> Arnold

* [TUHS] changes in C compilers
@ 2018-08-24  7:02 arnold