The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIX turns forty
@ 2009-05-21 20:39 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2009-05-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 May 2009, at 05:56, Derek Peschel wrote:

> Interesting question!  And related questions -- When did the current
> start of the epoch get chosen?  Were there any false starts or early
> changes?  (I seem to recall reading about one change, moving forward
> by a year.)  And were there ever any dates in the system that couldn't
> be correctly recorded, because the epoch started too late?

The current epoch was choose for the 4th edition, the man page date
is 8/5/73. The first edition's epoch was 00:00:00, Jan. 1, 1971.
This can be obtained from the time(2) man page. Here they are parapharsed,
I like that epoch changed from the second to thrid editions, but the
man page date did not; and the "bugs" line from the 3rd edition is memorable.

v1:
 DATE: 11/3/71
 BUGS: The chronological-minded user will note that 2**32 slxtieths of a seeond is only about 2.5 years.

v2:
 DATE: 3/15/72
 BUGS: The chronological-minded user will note that 2**32 slxtieths of a seeond is only about 2.5 years.

v3:
 DATE: 3/15/72
 BUGS: The time is stored in 32 bits. This guarantees a crisis every 2.26 years.

v4:
 DATE: 8/5/73

* [TUHS] UNIX turns forty
@ 2009-06-05  3:48 Brian S Walden
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian S Walden @ 2009-06-05  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133570

> So when do the official celebrations begin?  What's a good estimate
> of the month and date in 1969 when it all began?
>
> Tim Newsham

* [TUHS] UNIX turns forty
@ 2009-05-19  4:42 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2009-05-19  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

What a lovely thought!

ISTR that many of the papers in the 1978 issue were from the V7
distribution, so the text is around, but not in that format.
DMR could probably clarify more about those issues. (Please?)

I own paper copies of both, although I'm not sure I could find them
quickly if necessary. :-)

I doubt that SysIII is free, even the 16 bit stuff; the userland is
more interesting than the kernel land, and that stuff didn't really care
(much) about 16 vs. 32 bit.

Arnold

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 23:20:03 -0300
> From: Rafael R Obelheiro <rro at das.ufsc.br>
> To: tuhs at tuhs.org
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:27:50PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
> > I'd love to get as much of literature, ads, pdf's & stuff for all the
> > research editions, and package them up to celebrate the 40th...
>
> On a related note, does anyone know if the 1978 and 1984 issues of the
> Bell System Technical Journal dedicated to UNIX have been made
> available online, or if this is even a possibility? AFAIK, a few
> papers have appeared here and there, but having the full collection
> would be another nice way of celebrating the 40 years...
>
> Best regards,
> Rafael
>

> > I've been doing some limited stuff with v1 & the BSD stuff but it'd be
> > fun to do something for 1/4/5/6/32v...
> >
> > Oh and now that Im thinking about it, is the 16bit SYSIII stuff free?
> > I know it was 'ok' by the fact it had been omitted by the opening memo
> > that had stated that the 32bit versions of SYSIII & SYSV were not
> > free...
> >
> > On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham at lava.net> wrote:
> > > So when do the official celebrations begin? �What's a good estimate
> > > of the month and date in 1969 when it all began?
> > >
> > > Tim Newsham
> > > http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [TUHS] UNIX turns forty
@ 2009-05-15 16:48 Tim Newsham