The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 20:04 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-12 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Doug McIlroy

    > Allowing more or less arbitrary attachments was a real convenience. But
    > allowing such stuff to serve as the message proper was dubious at
    > best.

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm completely clear what you mean there? Do you mean
'non-ASCII-text objects were processed by the mail system without being told
to do so explicitly, by the user'? That, combined with the below, is indeed a
problem.

    > it also posed a security threat.

The problem isn't really so much the ability to have attachments, as that
people defined attachment types with open-ended capabilities, up to and
including what I call 'active content' - i.e. content which includes code
which is to be run.

(Yes, yes, I know - even without that, it's possible to feed 'dumb'
applications bad data, and do an intrusion; I seem to recall there was one of
those with JPEG's, so even plain images were not perfectly safe.  And someone
just provided an example of an with plain ASCII. But those holes are much
harder to find/use, whereas active content is a security hole the size of a
trans-Atlantic liner.)

Without an _incredibly_ secure OS (something on the order of late-stage
Multics, when the security had been beefed up even over the original design
[the jargon to search for is 'AIM', if you're interested], or better),
bringing in 'active content' from _outside_ the system, and running it, is
daylight madness - it's an invitation to disaster.

This is true no matter _how_ such content comes in: via HTTP, with a Web
browser; via SMTP, with e-mail, whatever.

Dave Moon coined a phrase, based on an old anti-drug movie: 'TECO madness: A
moment of convenience, a lifetime of regret.' These active contents all, to
me, fall into that category. They _seem_ like a good idea, and provide
interesting capabilities - until some cracker uses one to wipe your hard
drive.

    > With active text such as HTML, it is all too easy to mistakenly brush
    > over a phishing link.

HTML email is another of my pet peeves/hot buttons - it's just another vector
for active conent. So, for the 'convenience' of being able to send email in
multiple fonts ('eye candy', I derisively call it), we get to let malefactors
send in viruses that can wipe a hard drive.

To me, this kind of thing is professional malpractice, on a par with building
cars that catch on fire, or buildings that collapse. People need to suffer
incredibly severe penalties for propogating this kind of nonsense; maybe then
software engineers will stop valuing convenience over regret.

       Noel

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 21:34 ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2017-03-12 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017, at 16:04, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Doug McIlroy
>
>     > Allowing more or less arbitrary attachments was a real convenience. But
>     > allowing such stuff to serve as the message proper was dubious at
>     > best.
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure I'm completely clear what you mean there? Do you mean
> 'non-ASCII-text objects were processed by the mail system without being
> told
> to do so explicitly, by the user'? That, combined with the below, is
> indeed a
> problem.

I think he means the fact that MIME specifies the type of the main
message body (not just attachments), so you can have a message with *no*
text parts.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 22:12   ` Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Random832

    > I think he means the fact that MIME specifies the type of the main
    > message body (not just attachments), so you can have a message with *no*
    > text parts.

Right, that I could discern; what I couldn't get with an definitiveness was
_why_ that was particularly a problem.

(Another possibility, other than the one I previously gave, is perhaps that
there simply is no text part, which one can peruse, ignoring the rest?)

	 Noel

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13 14:58     ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-03-13 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Mar 2017 18:12 -0400, from jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa):
> (Another possibility, other than the one I previously gave, is perhaps that
> there simply is no text part, which one can peruse, ignoring the rest?)

Well, one could argue that if whoever is sending you something doesn't
even bother with telling you why they are sending it and what it is,
then is it really worth your time?

I can live with multipart/alternative { text/plain, text/html }
messages where the plain text part is actually _meaningful_ (my MUA is
set up to do nothing with text/html unless I ask it, at which point
they are fed through 'lynx -dump' plus a few other parameters), but
have been known to shoot back HTML-_only_ messages to the originator.
Usually with a comment to the effect of "this looks like it came
through garbled". I'm still waiting for the first such recipient to
obviously take the hint, but I haven't yet given up hope.

The worst part is that apparently lots of "modern" MUAs don't handle
multipart messages well. As in they'll get a perfectly fine MIME
multi-message e-mail (for example a forwarded message plus some
commentary), and it apparently shows up as _blank_. Yes, yes, MIME is
a complex standard with lots of potential pitfalls, but really,
_blank_? As in nothing showing up at all? Even _Outlook_ does better
than that.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13 21:56       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-13 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> I can live with multipart/alternative { text/plain, text/html } messages
> where the plain text part is actually _meaningful_ (my MUA is set up to
> do nothing with text/html unless I ask it, at which point they are fed
> through 'lynx -dump' plus a few other parameters), but have been known
> to shoot back HTML-_only_ messages to the originator. Usually with a
> comment to the effect of "this looks like it came through garbled". I'm
> still waiting for the first such recipient to obviously take the hint,
> but I haven't yet given up hope.

Procmail?  I'd like to have that script :-)

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-14 10:33         ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-03-14 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
 |On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Michael Kjörling wrote:
 |> I can live with multipart/alternative { text/plain, text/html } messages
 |> where the plain text part is actually _meaningful_ (my MUA is set up to
 |> do nothing with text/html unless I ask it, at which point they are fed
 |> through 'lynx -dump' plus a few other parameters), but have been known
 |> to shoot back HTML-_only_ messages to the originator. Usually with a
 |> comment to the effect of "this looks like it came through garbled". I'm
 |> still waiting for the first such recipient to obviously take the hint,
 |> but I haven't yet given up hope.
 |
 |Procmail?  I'd like to have that script :-)

This really is a kind script of yours, using MIME multipart/mixed
and only providing the text part.  What spread in the wild
(initiated by a member of the RedHat security team as far as
i know) was using multipart/alternative but then not providing the
alternative.

 |Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will \
 |suffer."

I don't really care as long as plain text mail is possible, and
used, except that, here Michael Kjörling is unfortunately right,
that major players like Google Groups sent out digests where the
text partial was mutilated to being useless, for example not even
giving a complete subject line, whereas the alternative HTML part
gave at least some text (the details i have forgotten).  This was
in 2015.  By sheer distress i added an option to favour the HTML
part of multipart mails, and then got bitten from this new
alternative-less trend.  (My MUA is too stupid yet to handle this
with a bit of intelligence.)  The good news is that in the
meanwhile even the HTML part has become practically useless if you
don't have a (i think, fully blown) browser at hand.

--steffen

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-16 18:52         ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-03-16 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Mar 2017 08:56 +1100, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
>> I can live with multipart/alternative { text/plain, text/html } messages
>> where the plain text part is actually _meaningful_ (my MUA is set up to
>> do nothing with text/html unless I ask it, at which point they are fed
>> through 'lynx -dump' plus a few other parameters), but have been known
>> to shoot back HTML-_only_ messages to the originator. Usually with a
>> comment to the effect of "this looks like it came through garbled". I'm
>> still waiting for the first such recipient to obviously take the hint,
>> but I haven't yet given up hope.
>
> Procmail?  I'd like to have that script :-)

Sorry, no automation, but it'd probably be possible to cobble
something together using procmail and formail. Just "unauto_view *"
and "alternative_order text/plain text/html text" plus hitting "reply"
in Mutt and coming up with something bearing a not too close
resemblance to insults. The exact wording tends to vary with how
annoyed I am at the particular sender at the moment.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
       [not found]     ` <12de3888-3a82-4a8c-9177-50e6cb4cb931.maildroid@localhost>
@ 2017-03-19  2:34       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-19  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, William Pechter wrote:

> Talk about security Remember when Shar files were sent to /bin/sh...
> Often as root.
>
> We forget how safe we felt the environment was.

Yep, which is why "unshar" came to be.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-14 10:49         ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-03-14 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
 |>|Turning off the HTML text part takes a button click (or took once
 ||i looked last)
 |
 |No offense taken, but there's no way to turn off the HTML part
 |when that's the only part--and that is often the case.

It is the decision of the sending party what type of message is
produced, this i hope is still possible even for purely web-based
mail clients.  This sender-side decision i was referring to in the
post quoted above.  Unfortunately your observation is correct, but
luckily on this list, and also on most lists that i read!

But it seems many administrator tools only ever generate HTML or
other rich text log files and statistics, and so on request
generating mails to send these as the main body my MUA will
support in the future (even though very primitive yet, disallowing
additional signature injection, for example).  The world turns,
and integration progresses, and if you don't move you will be left
behind: this is not necessarily something bad.  E.g., on FreeBSD
many tools in the base system now use a XO (i think) library for
generating output, so that the output can be plain text, as
normal, but also JSON or XML, and maybe even binary CBOR at some
future time, and if there is a correct MIME type then why should
Mail not be a valid transport for this, that then can be correctly
decoded on the receiver side according to the MIME content type.
I for one very much prefer plain text in human interaction.

--steffen

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13 22:14       ` Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-03-13 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> |Turning off the HTML text part takes a button click (or took once
 |i looked last)

No offense taken, but there's no way to turn off the HTML part
when that's the only part--and that is often the case.

Doug

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13 20:21     ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-03-13 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

i wrote:
Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:
 |Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
 ||And it's an annoying chore when companies I actually want
 ||to deal with send receipts and the like in (godawful) HTML only.
 ..
 |And market power is actively misused by major players, but which
 ..
 |Turning off the HTML text part takes a button click (or took once
 |i looked last) ... and it turns out to be too much work.  Even
 |that.

I actually realized that this sounded snappish and overly
offensive, and i want to apologize for that.  It was definitely
and absolutely meant as a general statement, like, why walking to
the TV and turning it off, if standby is so easy.  Something more
like this..

--steffen

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13 11:37   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-03-13 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
 |On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Doug McIlroy <[1]doug at cs.dartmouth.edu[/1]\
 |> wrote:
 |
 |  [1] mailto:doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
 |
 |And it's an annoying chore when companies I actually want
 |to deal with send receipts and the like in (godawful) HTML only.
 |
 |Or when your HR and Legal dept sends legal documents (like tax info \
 |and patent disclosures )  using XPS instead of PS or PDF and wonder \
 |why much of the
 |company can not or will not read it when "legal can read it just fine."

And market power is actively misused by major players, but which
is possibly the only natural aspect of them: Google simply uses
Cascading-Style-Sheets to create quotes, which is fine per se, but
it does this by using a "class gmail_quote" without giving the
actual definition of it, forcing everbody all around the world to
special treat "gmail_quote", otherwise it will look like above.
There is not even an external reference to the CSS.

  On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Doug McIlroy <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=

@ 2017-03-13  5:58   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-13  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Paul Winalski wrote:

> Back in the day plain ASCII wasn't really secure, either.  There were
> bugs in the firmware of the VT100 and other smartish terminals that
> would cause strange behavior if certain malformed control sequences were
> received.  For example, causing the bell (actually a loud beep) to sound
> continuously until the terminal was power-cycled.  There was one
> sequence that stored bad data into the user preferences area of the
> EPROM.  That bricked the terminal by causing it to go into a reset/crash
> loop.  DEC ended up modifying VMS Mail to filter out ASCII control
> characters by default when it displayed email messages.  You could still
> display the unfiltered text, but you had to explicitly ask for that to
> be done.

Giggle...

Back when "packet radio" was popular in the Amateur ("ham") radio world,
we used to send each other ASCII bombs.  Just program say F1 (the "help"
key under Messy-Dog) to do a "FORMAT /Y C:" and wait...

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13  5:39       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-13  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

[...]

> This actually caught some really bad behaviour on HP's part (this is all
> ancient history so I doubt anyone cares).  They sucked it into Word,
> turned on track changes, made some minor changes, then turned off track
> changes and made some major changes.  If I had been trusting Word's
> history we would not have noticed the major changes.  But I didn't, I
> caught them, when they were presented to HP they did the classic
> "however did that happen, we have no idea, blah, blah, blah".  Pretty
> darn sleazy.

A former boss of mine used to get quotes in Word all the time (we were a
Unix house); he used to run "strings" against the document, and challenge
the supplier with the fact that they were giving a competitor a better deal.

To this day, "strings" is still my best Word decoder...

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13  1:59             ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-13  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I used to have an undocumented mail service on my workstation at Sun. I
> could send mail with a subject line specifying what I wanted and it sent
> it to me.  Mainly used it when I was teaching at Stanford and I wanted
> to grab stuff but couldn't get into Sun's network from the outside.  In
> fact, just found the script, it only worked if I was coming from
> lm at CS.Stanford.EDU or lm at Sunburn.Stanford.EDU so I must have been
> worried about security.

Giggle...  Back when I was working for GEAC, I happened to find an outside
line that they had forgotten was there, and me being a Unixoid and wanting
to avoid their poxy M$ firewall, I used it for email etc.

The IT bod understood, and it wasn't closed until after I left.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13  1:28     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-03-13  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 08:34:27PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> Or when the project management consultants ask to see your requirements
> document and you send it to them in troff and they write back, "I can't
> open this in Word." Sigh.
>
> One of my pet peeves when I got my first job outside of a university
> environment was that I was expected to drop all of the tools I'd been
> accustomed to using and start using "the standard", which basically meant
> something Microsoft based. Even though I was running FreeBSD on my
> workstation, and not Windows NT. It was somewhat maddening; whenever I
> tried to use Windows I felt like I was typing in jello because it was so
> unfamiliar.

Yep, agreed.  I fought the good fight in my company, our commercial
contract is a troff document (complete with troff's version of #ifdef so I
sourced a generic MLA, an Intel specific one, a Cisco specific one, an HP
specific one, an educational one, and something else I'd have to go look).

Invariably the customers would suck the roff output into word and wack
it and send it back.  I built up tools to deal with that, I'd export
back to text and then run it through something I call pfmt which
reformats stuff such that each sentence starts on a new line.
That made it very easy to diff and see changes.

This actually caught some really bad behaviour on HP's part (this is
all ancient history so I doubt anyone cares).  They sucked it into Word,
turned on track changes, made some minor changes, then turned off track
changes and made some major changes.  If I had been trusting Word's
history we would not have noticed the major changes.  But I didn't,
I caught them, when they were presented to HP they did the classic
"however did that happen, we have no idea, blah, blah, blah".  Pretty
darn sleazy.

--lm

P.S.  For those of you who are business guys, yeah, every single customer
we have ever had has been on our paper.  Including Intel.  We may be the
only small company that can make that claim.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13  0:34   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-03-13  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> And it's an annoying chore when companies I actually want
>> to deal with send receipts and the like in (godawful) HTML only.
>>

> ​Or when your HR and Legal dept sends legal documents (like tax info and
> patent disclosures )  using XPS instead of PS or PDF and wonder why much of
> the company can not or will not read it when "legal can read it just fine."

Or when the project management consultants ask to see your requirements
document and you send it to them in troff and they write back, "I can't
open this in Word." Sigh.

One of my pet peeves when I got my first job outside of a university
environment was that I was expected to drop all of the tools I'd been
accustomed to using and start using "the standard", which basically meant
something Microsoft based. Even though I was running FreeBSD on my
workstation, and not Windows NT. It was somewhat maddening; whenever I
tried to use Windows I felt like I was typing in jello because it was so
unfamiliar.

I finally gave up MH for email (and acme Mail under Plan 9) when I realized
this whole "web" thing was here to stay and that GMail had acquired a
somewhat reasonable user interface, that email attachments were now the
norm even within a single organization, and that I wasn't going to get away
from any of it. The world moves, even if not always forward. But I still
somewhat resent the idea that the "cloud" is forcing me into a specific
model of working that requires I learn a mandated toolset that I don't
really care for: I'd rather be able to pick and choose the tools that best
suit the problem at hand and my style of working and combine them in ways
that are useful to me, but that weren't anticipated by the original
authors. I think that's sort of the essence of the Unix tool philosophy,
but something that's fallen by the wayside, even under Unix, and I think
that's a real shame.

        - Dan C.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-13  0:11       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-03-13  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I changed systems to many times and in the old days storage was so
expensive, email got archived to tape thinking if I needed its I would read
it later - then either did pull want a wanted or let if go fallow and the
the bits decay.

@ 2017-03-13  0:09     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-03-13  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Clem Cole @ 2017-03-13  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe - I'm not sure how much of my Tek old stuff is recoverable.  I did
just find something for Noel recently.  Who knows ;-)
There is one tape I have from that time that a) I'm not sure what is on it
and b) if its readable.  It's on my to do list.   I will add it to the pile,

Clem

@ 2017-03-13  0:00           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-03-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to have an undocumented mail service on my workstation at Sun.
I could send mail with a subject line specifying what I wanted and it
sent it to me.  Mainly used it when I was teaching at Stanford and I
wanted to grab stuff but couldn't get into Sun's network from the
outside.  In fact, just found the script, it only worked if I was
coming from lm at CS.Stanford.EDU or lm at Sunburn.Stanford.EDU so I must
have been worried about security.

I had a different one that I made available publicly that served up
all the papers in /u/lm/Doc/postscript/.

--
---

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 23:43       ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-03-12 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uuencode was very basic.  It could be used for what later was called
"attachments", but it couldn't handle rich text message bodies, multiple
attachments, and it had security issues and UNIX-specific content.  The
coolness factor of Borenstein's original "let me sing you email" was all
it took to get us hooked.

     Mary Ann

@ 2017-03-12 23:41         ` Gregg Levine

Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

@ 2017-03-12 23:35   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-03-12 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-12 21:10   ` Dave Horsfall
       [not found]     ` <12de3888-3a82-4a8c-9177-50e6cb4cb931.maildroid@localhost>
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-03-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017, Paul Winalski wrote:

> Is it possible to send multi-part email bodies using uuencode, as it is
> with MIME?

Not directly, but I guess you could fudge it as multiple SHAR files.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 18:57 Andy Valencia
From: Andy Valencia @ 2017-03-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Back in the day plain ASCII wasn't really secure, either.

No need to use the past tense.  I had a need to assess how much
damage one could do if allowed to feed arbitrary text into xterm.
I came away sobered.

Do not--ever--use a mail agent which will plumb unfiltered text
through to an xterm.  nmh, for one:

    http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?36056

Andy

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 18:33 ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-03-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/12/17, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> Allowing more or less arbitrary attachments was a real convenience.
> But allowing such stuff to serve as the message proper was
> dubious at best. Not only did it require recipients to obtain
> special software to read some messages; it also posed a
> security threat.
>
> I still use mailx precisely because it will only display plain text.

Back in the day plain ASCII wasn't really secure, either.  There were
bugs in the firmware of the VT100 and other smartish terminals that
would cause strange behavior if certain malformed control sequences
were received.  For example, causing the bell (actually a loud beep)
to sound continuously until the terminal was power-cycled.  There was
one sequence that stored bad data into the user preferences area of
the EPROM.  That bricked the terminal by causing it to go into a
reset/crash loop.  DEC ended up modifying VMS Mail to filter out ASCII
control characters by default when it displayed email messages.  You
could still display the unfiltered text, but you had to explicitly ask
for that to be done.

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 18:26 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-03-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-12 18:22 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-03-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Back when I was at Sun the attachment thing was all the rage.  Yet
I developed a system, I did my important stuff in roff, I'd attach
the typeset version but I'd make the main message be nroff | colcrt -
output.

Why?  Because while all the "cool kids" liked the attachments, the
execs (they'd be the guys I was trying to convince) just read whatever
the text said.  If they wanted to see the other stuff they forwarded
to their admin who knew how to print it.

I was measurably more effective at getting the execs to do what I
wanted than other engineers.

--
---

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 18:13 Doug McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-03-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-12 17:42 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-03-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-12 15:10 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dan Cross

    > why did you consider it such a step forward? I'm really curious about
    > the reasoning from folks involved with such things at the time.

This was N layers up from my zone of responsibility when I was on the IESG
(which was the internetwork layer), and I don't recall any discussion about it
on the IESG (although if you really care, there might be minutes - I don't
recall when IESG minutes started, though, perhaps this was before that). That
lack of any memory may be nothing more than a sign of my fading memory, but it
could mean it wasn't a very contentious topic.

FWIW, here's my current analysis of the issues; I doubt my analysis then
would have been substantially different.

The fundamental thing that email does is send something - originally a
section of text - from party A to party B in a way that requires no previous
setup or interaction: party B can be anyone in the entire universe of
entities which support that service. MIME is an extension of this model to
carry other types of data: images, etc.

There is a very good analogy to the pre-existing real-world mail system: that
too allows one to send things to anyone without prior special arrangement, and
it supports not only transferring text, but also sending more than that -
physical objects. This pre-existing system argues that this model of operation
is i) useful, and ii) issues raised by it have probably mostly been worked
through.

So the extension of email to carry more than just text seems like a very
plausible extension.

For the 'average' user, the ability to include images in email is a huge
improvement over any alternative. Any kind of 'pull' model (in which the
receiver has to do something to retrieve the data later from some sort of
server) requires access to such a server on the part of the sender; use of a
'push' model (in which data is sent in the same way as text, as part of a
single transfer) is clearly better.

Security issues raised by sending binary data through email are a separate
question, but I note that those issues will mostly still exist no matter how
the binary data is transferred. (E.g. the binary might contain a virus no
matter whether it's transferred via SMTP or FTP.) The ability of email to send
to anyone does raise issues in this context, but this margin is not big enough
to fully explore them.

I also do get a little uncomfortable when email is used instead of a file
transfer system, for very large files, etc, etc. The thing is that the email
system was not designed to transfer really huge objects (although the size
allowed has been going up over time). The store-and-forward model of the
email system is not really ideal for huge objects, etc, etc.

But having said all that, the extension of the email model to send content
other than pure text - images, etc - still seems like a good idea to me.

	Noel

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12 13:53 ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2017-03-12 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 11 Mar 2017, at 19:07, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:
>
> When MIME came out in 1992 I became a champion of SMTP/MIME as a standard - it was a big improvement.  But uuencod predated MIME by 12 years.

Somewhere I may have a copy of a rant I wrote in about 1995 called 'MIME as a disease vector'.   It argued that the single biggest thing that MIME did was to establish the Windows/Office monopoly, and that this was why MS were so enthusiastic about it.  It did this by making it trivial for a Windows user to send documents in Office formats which, if you wanted to read or modify them, required you to use Windows.  Thus the disease (proprietary formats and monopolies) was effectively spread by MIME.

I still think it's essentially correct, although I would not now use such loaded wording, and also clearly this was just inevitable: MIME or some equivalent way of sending typed binary data by email was useful, and this undesirable consequence unavoidable.  Looking at things from the other side of the Windows monopoly period it all looks less horrible as well: Windows didn't end up killing Unix even.

--tm

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-12  6:28       ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-03-12  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: The Not Ready for Prime Time Super User root@csl3.wisc.edu

@ 2017-03-12  1:14     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-03-12  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-11 23:05   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-03-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-11 23:01 ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-03-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/11/17, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:

> Apparently today 3/11/17 is being publicized as the 25th anniversary of
> the email attachment, citing Nat Borenstein's MIME.  Piotr points out
> that uuencode predates MIME, and he's right.

Is it possible to send multi-part email bodies using uuencode, as it
is with MIME?

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] attachments: MIME and uuencode
@ 2017-03-11 19:07 Mary Ann Horton