The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 17:21 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-11-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nemo:

  And for that reason, I have never used Python.  (I have a mental block
  about that.)

====

I used to feel the same way.  A few years ago I held my nose
and jumped in.  I'm glad I did; Python is a nifty little
language that, now I know it, hits a sweet spot twixt low-level
C and high-level shell and awk scripts.

Denoting blocks solely by indentation isn't at all bad once
you do it; no worse than adapting from do ... end to C's {}.

What still bugs me about Python:
-- It is unreasonably messy to give someone else a copy of
a program composed of many internal modules.  Apparently
you are expected to give her a handful of files, to be
installed in some directory whose name must be added to
the search path in every Python source file that imports
them.  I have come up with my own hacky workaround but it
would be nice if the language provided a graceful way to,
e.g., catenate multiple modules into a single source file
for distribution.
-- I miss C's style of for loop, though not often.  (Not
quite everything can be turned into a list or an iterator.)
-- I miss one particular case of assigment having a value:
that of
	while ((val = function()) != STOP)
		do something with val
Again, there are clunky ways to work around this.

As for 80 columns, I'm firmly in the camp that says that
if you need a lot of indentation you're doing it wrong.
Usually it means you should be pulling the details out
into separate functions.  Functions that run on for many,
many lines (once upon a time it was meaningful to say
for many pages, but no longer) are just as bad, for the
same reason: it's hard to read and understand the code,
because you have to keep so many details in your head at
once.

Likewise for excessive use of global variables, for that
matter, a flaw that is still quite common in C code.

Having to break an expression or a function call over
multiple lines is more problematic.  It's clearer not
to have to do that.  It helps not to make function or
variable names longer than necessary, but one can carry
that too far too.

Style and clarity are hard, but they are what distinguishes
a crap hack programmer from a good one.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(Sitting on the lower level of a train in Texas,
not on a pedestal)

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 17:56 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-10 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 01:21:09PM -0400, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Style and clarity are hard, but they are what distinguishes
> a crap hack programmer from a good one.

Yep.  My version of this is "optimize for the readers, there are many
of them and one of you".

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 17:04 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-11-11 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-11-10 13:21, Norman Wilson wrote:

> -- It is unreasonably messy to give someone else a copy of a program
> composed of many internal modules.  Apparently you are expected to
> give her a handful of files, to be installed in some directory whose
> name must be added to the search path in every Python source file that
> imports them.  I have come up with my own hacky workaround but it
> would be nice if the language provided a graceful way to, e.g.,
> catenate multiple modules into a single source file for distribution.

Aren't to supposed to make an "egg", or something?

Even before those, you could make a package, "sdist" it, and have the
recipients run "python setup.py install".  Still simpler process than
installing many C libraries from source ...

> -- I miss one particular case of assigment having a value:
> that of
> 	while ((val = function()) != STOP)
> 		do something with val

I was once in a remote job interview with a Ruby shop.  I don't know
Ruby, but they said I could use Python.  Of course this situation came
up (it's pretty common when you think about it) and on this occasion a
whim made me write it thus:

while True:
    val = function()
    if val == STOP:
        break
    do_something()

Their reply was overflowing with shock and horror that I would use
"while True", and that was the end of that opportunity for me.
Apparently Ruby has a construct to handle this cleanly, without having
to call function() from two sites.

> Toronto ON
> (Sitting on the lower level of a train in Texas, not on a pedestal)

What's a Torontonian doing in Texas?  Are you researching the sequel to
"Tideland" ? :-)

To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 17:30   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2017-11-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017, at 12:04, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-11-10 13:21, Norman Wilson wrote:
> > -- I miss one particular case of assigment having a value:
> > that of
> > 	while ((val = function()) != STOP)
> > 		do something with val
>
> I was once in a remote job interview with a Ruby shop.  I don't know
> Ruby, but they said I could use Python.  Of course this situation came
> up (it's pretty common when you think about it) and on this occasion a
> whim made me write it thus:
>
> while True:
>     val = function()
>     if val == STOP:
>         break
>     do_something()
>
> Their reply was overflowing with shock and horror that I would use
> "while True", and that was the end of that opportunity for me.
> Apparently Ruby has a construct to handle this cleanly, without having
> to call function() from two sites.

Python has one as well, though it's a bit obscure - ISTR around half of
the people who commented on a thread on the python mailing lists where
this came up weren't familiar with it.

for val in iter(function, STOP):
    do_something()

If the function needs arguments, you have to use a lambda. If the
condition is something other than equality to some value... well, you
can hack something together, but it's debatably cleaner than the while
True loop.

(If the function is readline, though, you can just iterate over the file
object)

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 18:05     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-11-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-11-11 12:30, Random832 wrote:

> for val in iter(function, STOP):
>     do_something()

A neat trick, thanks.

> (If the function is readline, though, you can just iterate over the
> file object)

This doesn't work if the file object can be a tty (such as stdin), IIRC
due to stdio buffering effects.

@ 2017-11-11 17:38                         ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2017-11-11 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

These posts are nothing to do with Unix heritage and haven't been for a
while.  I've resisted the urge over and over to point out why most of
you are wrong in various ways.  :-)  If I can resist, so can you.  Lets
have more signal, less noise.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 17:25                         ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy writes:
> > So if you _prefer_ 80 columns, go for it.  Just don't tell me that there are
> > technical reasons why I should abide by your preference.
>
> Feel free to keep ignoring the valid technical reason I have stated over
> and over.  And other people have stated the same thing as well.
>
> With that, I'm out, this thread is going to /dev/null.  Thank you procmail.

They're not valid to me.  As I read the studies, you're choosing speed over
comprehension, I'm choosing the opposite.

Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 17:24                       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-11 17:23                       ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy writes:
> > Wait, so _how_ do you like continuations to be indented?
>
> I do it like so
>
> 	if ((super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smart > 1) &&
> 	    (super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smarter > 2)) {
> 	    	something stupid here;
> 	}

To me, and to be clear that this is a personal preference as opposed to
something factual, I would do the above as:

 	if ((super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smart > 1)
	 && (super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smarter > 2)) {
 	    	something really smart here;
 	}

The one space indent shows that it's a continuation, but doesn't fool my
eye into thinking that it's a block like Larry's example.

There are many times that I am scrolling through code very quickly looking
for block structure, and I'm optimizing for that in my eyes.

There's also another personal preference above, which is that I prefer

	if this
	 AND that
	if this AND
	 that

Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 17:19                     ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-11 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Kosela writes:

> I don't think it is about being dogmatic.  Please believe there are still
> some people who just _prefer_ 80 columns.  It could be because they were
> introduced to computing when this was a standard and they still treat it as
> a standard for text based computing, or they just find the aesthetics of
> this format much more pleasant to their eyes.
>
> For me there is something truly magical in the way 80 columns text look on
> a dark CRT display -- I also love the glow of green or amber phosphor and
> scanlines as visible clearly on vt220 for example.  So even though I am
> also using xterms these days, my perfect UNIX computing platform is
> still definitely a full screen text console 80x24 using CRT terminal.
>
> HD widescreen LCD displays are nice...but for modern graphics and video at
> high resolutions.  Try to display perfectly old Amiga or
> C64 graphics/games on a modern widescreen and you will know what I am
> talking about.  You need an old CRT for that, in 4:3 format.
>
> The same is for displaying text -- I don't believe you need the next gen
> monitor to display UNIX text based console (technology essentially from the
> 70s).  It actually looks worse on modern displays, which are optimized for
> HD _graphics_ and high native resolutions.
>
> If you think about it -- computing platforms and the Internet were text
> only in the 70s, 80s and a good part of the 90s, but since the rise of
> Windows 95 and the World Wide Web, the world has abandoned text and moved
> fully into the graphical world.  But we also lost something -- full screen
> text mode will always remain beautiful from an aesthetics perspective and
> it is still the best stimulant of the imagination, just like books.
>
> Todays generations do not even know how to stay focused on reading text --
> all they do is swipe their fingers on next colorful images on Instagram or
> Facebook...
>
> --Andy

Well, I think that you slightly misinterpreted my point.

I learned a great thing from a manager in the mid-1980s.  He told our group that
it was perfectly OK to say "I want to do it this way because I like it." And, if
there was no countervailing technical reason and if nobody else had a competing
way that they liked it then you'd get your way.  But, we'd never get our way or
a raise for that matter if he had to wade through a pile of pseudo-technical
hand-waving arguments that really were just about how you liked it.

My objection was people saying that there were technical reasons for 80 columns
when they were really saying that that was what they liked.

So me, yes, I pine for the Glance G displays that I worked on at BTL.  I have
a certain Pavlovian response to green flashes from my days working on Tektronix
storage tubes.  But really, my 32" UHD monitor is the best looking thing that
I've ever had.  Obviously something that puts out 640x480 pixels is going to
look bad without scaling, but that's OK.  I don't play old video games on my
modern computer.  I have a pair of side-by-side 132x87 windows in an easy to see
font that I use for most work with room for a bunch of small windows on the side.

The majority use of my display is for typing code.  I don't use graphical tools
unless forced to by a client, especially in the springtime.  I got a good
classics education and the admonition "Beware the IDEs of March" has stuck with
me :-)  When I need to mess with graphics the display is awesome.  Was editing
some audio yesterday and being able to use audacity at full screen width made
up for some of it's UI problems.

@ 2017-11-11 16:47                     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 08:40:21AM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-11-10 13:02, Jon Steinhart wrote:
>
> > As an example, I abhor styles that say that continuations of long
> > lines should be indented either an extra tab or right-aligned with the
> > first line.
>
> Wait, so _how_ do you like continuations to be indented?

I do it like so

	if ((super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smart > 1) &&
	    (super_long_name_that_some_idiot_thought_was_smarter > 2)) {
	    	something stupid here;
	}

In my vi tab is a tab but shiftwidth is 4, and I map ^A to ^T (I think
that came from the editor on CPM), and I set autoindent.
So after the first line I hit

	return
	^A
	(super....
	return
	tab
	something...
	return
	^D
	^D
	}

just to add to the arcaneness of this endless thread :)

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11 16:40                   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-11-11 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-11 14:33                   ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2017-11-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 10, 2017, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:

> [...]

The same is for displaying text -- I don't believe you need the next gen
monitor to display UNIX text based console (technology essentially from the
70s).  It actually looks worse on modern displays, which are optimized for
HD _graphics_ and high native resolutions.

If you think about it -- computing platforms and the Internet were text
only in the 70s, 80s and a good part of the 90s, but since the rise of
Windows 95 and the World Wide Web, the world has abandoned text and moved
fully into the graphical world.  But we also lost something -- full screen
text mode will always remain beautiful from an aesthetics perspective and
it is still the best stimulant of the imagination, just like books.

Todays generations do not even know how to stay focused on reading text --
all they do is swipe their fingers on next colorful images on Instagram or

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-11  9:24                 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2017-11-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

(apologies for prolonging this thread)

For me, context is everything while programming.  Header, code, the other code, man page, spec doc, etc.  I usually manage that by getting as many “terminals” as I can on screen: 4 side-by-side xterms, 80 rows of 80 columns using 6x13 font on my 1920x1200 screen.  The choice of 80 columns, as has been pointed out, is arbitrary (and historical), but I find it’s a reasonable compromise between clarity of the code (minimal line breaking) and maximising context (4 columns, rather than fewer).  If you’re using 132 columns, you almost completely eliminate line-wrapping, but you’re also wasting a lot of visual real estate as the great majority of lines are less then half that long.

That said, 80 columns doesn’t work for Java: C is fine, C++ mostly ok, Python is ok, but with Java, the naming culture is for incrediblyLongDescriptiveNamesForEveryThing, and even 132 columns can be too tight.

To be honest though, it’s vertical space that I find more important: being able to see the entire function, or all the related header definitions, etc, without scrolling means far less cognitive overhead.  Four lots of 80 rows is *so* much better than one lot of 24 as to be almost indescribably more productive.

@ 2017-11-11  0:24                             ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-11  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall writes:

> And yes, I'm a crusty dinosaur who won't adapt to the modern times; my
> windows are 80x24, with the occasional 80x40, but occasionally using wide
> screens for side-by-side diffs ("sdiff" is a wonderful tool), etc.  I also
> have poor eyesight, so I can't use small fonts.

If you like sdiff check out this:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/difftool.png

You have to install BitKeeper to get it but that's easy, go to bitkeeper.org
and hit the download button.  You don't have to use BK for source management,
you can do

	bk difftool A B
	bk difftool file dir	# dir means dir/file

and you get the highlighting that makes sdiff jealous.

--lm

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 23:59           ` Don Hopkins
From: Don Hopkins @ 2017-11-10 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who’s heard David Beazley tell his epic Python hacking saga?

He’s a true hacker’s hacker, who wrote SWIG, and eats, breaths and shits Python in his sleep.

David Beazley: Discovering Python - PyCon 2014
Speaker: David Beazley
So, what happens when you lock a Python programmer in a secret vault containing 1.5 TBytes of C++ source code and no internet connection? Find out as I describe how I used Python as a secret weapon of "discovery" in an epic legal battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4Sn-Y7AP8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4Sn-Y7AP8>

-Don

@ 2017-11-10 23:52                             ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2017-11-10 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-11-10 6:05 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> Dave Horsfall writes:
>>
>> And yes, I'm a crusty dinosaur who won't adapt to the modern times; my
>> windows are 80x24, with the occasional 80x40, but occasionally using wide
>> screens for side-by-side diffs ("sdiff" is a wonderful tool), etc.  I also
>> have poor eyesight, so I can't use small fonts.
>
> At last, some honesty :-)  Beats hand-wavy rationalizations for doing it the
> way that one likes.

I actually think people _should_ do what they are most comfortable
doing; individuals certainly vary and their preferences even moreso.

Adjusted of course for _team_ work. The more people who have to deal
with the product, the more reason to respect the well studied functional
typographic and cognitive norms.

--T

> Having only a 32" monitor on my desk I can actually make the fonts smaller
> than I can read with my old eyes even though they're still crisp.  Been
> considering getting a cheap 65" UHD TV as a monitor that I can hang on my
> wall.  Would eliminate the problems with farsightedess.  Would also free
> up a bunch of desk space.

> Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 23:05                           ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 22:59                 ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 22:58                         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-11-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, William Corcoran wrote:

> It could also be that the 80 column display with 24 rows using 8 bit
> characters fit nicely within a 16k memory chip (or four (4) 4K chips). I
> wonder if that fact eventually helped OEM’s settle in on the ubiquitous
> 80x24 terminal size?

Perhaps.  I still have horrible memories of the VT-05, flogged as the
console for the PDP-11.  It was 72x20 (yes, really!), upper-case only (but
flipping a switch caused it to transmit lower-case as well), lacked a few
characters, etc...  It probably used even smaller chips.

@ 2017-11-10 22:46               ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2017-11-10 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-11-10 3:43 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> Toby Thain writes:
>> Just don't move on without some limit. There are real
>> cognitive/typographic reasons why excessively long lines hurt
>> comprehension. This is why both 500 year old books and 5 month old books
>> have narrow measures.
>>
>> 80 might be too narrow for most, but at some point beyond 132 is "too
>> far". :)
>
> Well, I would claim that books have technological limitations that are
> different than computer monitors.  It's a matter of doing what's appropriate
> instead of taking a dogmatic approach.

It's _reading_. Code doesn't magically escape typographic factors. The
human visual/processing system is the constraint, it does not care
whether you're reading paper or the more hostile LCD - and it has not
changed materially in the millennia we've been doing writing (and
certainly not the 500 years we've been doing books). There is also a
body of modern research on this. Even research specifically focused on
code, I believe.

> I will point out that while it's sometimes a pain, the reader/writer ratio
> is a major driving force.  I save on typing and use very terse code when
> writing stuff for myself.  But, when writing stuff where there are many
> readers I feel that it's my job to put in the extra work to make it more
> accessible to the reader, partly because I don't want the readers bugging me.
>
> Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 22:10         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-11-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, Nemo wrote:

> And for that reason, I have never used Python.  (I have a mental block
> about that.)

The last language I used where indentation was part of the syntax was
FORTRAN; although I have Python installed (some tools use it where I would
use Perl), I will never use it.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 21:50                         ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Corcoran writes:
> It could also be that the 80 column display with 24 rows using 8 bit characters
> fit nicely within a 16k memory chip (or four (4) 4K chips). I wonder if that
> fact eventually helped OEM’s settle in on the ubiquitous 80x24 terminal size?

Well yes, having worked for a company that made terminals at the time, that is
one of the reasons.  The other is the availability of monitors that were cheap
because they were compatible with televisions.  Similar to the reason that we
were stuck with crappy HD monitors for years.

Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 21:34                       ` William Corcoran
From: William Corcoran @ 2017-11-10 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

It could also be that the 80 column display with 24 rows using 8 bit characters fit nicely within a 16k memory chip (or four (4) 4K chips). I wonder if that fact eventually helped OEM's settle in on the ubiquitous 80x24 terminal size?

Truly,

Bill Corcoran

On Nov 10, 2017, at 4:12 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com<mailto:jon at fourwinds.com>> wrote:

Larry McVoy writes:
I read books and code by look at the middle of the page or the middle of
the terminal and scrolling my eyes downward.  I don't look side to side.
I literally read the middle of the text and I get the rest through
peripheral vision.

This is what Warner (I think) was saying about books.  If you make them
too wide you have to move your eyes back and forth and that is both
slower and more tiring.

80-100 columns is fine, 132 is too wide, that forces people to move
their head/eyes back and forth.

Well, our physiology may be different.  I've got a 132 column window
open in front of me and I don't have to move my eyes side-to-side to
read.  I'm not seeing any of it via peripheral vision.

@ 2017-11-10 21:12                     ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 21:09                   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 21:02                 ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy writes:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:43:36PM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > Toby Thain writes:
> > > Just don't move on without some limit. There are real
> > > cognitive/typographic reasons why excessively long lines hurt
> > > comprehension. This is why both 500 year old books and 5 month old books
> > > have narrow measures.
> > >
> > > 80 might be too narrow for most, but at some point beyond 132 is "too
> > > far". :)
> >
> > Well, I would claim that books have technological limitations that are
> > different than computer monitors.  It's a matter of doing what's appropriate
> > instead of taking a dogmatic approach.
> >
> > I will point out that while it's sometimes a pain, the reader/writer ratio
> > is a major driving force.  I save on typing and use very terse code when
> > writing stuff for myself.  But, when writing stuff where there are many
> > readers I feel that it's my job to put in the extra work to make it more
> > accessible to the reader, partly because I don't want the readers bugging me.
>
> So for the Nth time, there are people who read, I'm one of them,
> by looking down the middle of the text and getting the rest through
> peripheral vision.  I read easily 3-4x faster than a decently fast reader
> and I get enough info that I can find the place where I need to go read
> more closely later.
>
> I can't imagine I'm the only person who does this, I'm special but not
> that special :)  So for me, wider is optimizing me out, not optimizing
> for me.

Well, as someone who also reads I don't really understand how your point
relates to 80 columns.  It sounds to me that you're making an argument
for something else in which I strongly believe, which is that the block
structure of the code should be clearly visible so that a reader doesn't
have to read every line in order to understand what's going on.  As an
example, I abhor styles that say that continuations of long lines should
be indented either an extra tab or right-aligned with the first line.
Both of those styles break the visible block structure.

Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 20:59                 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 01:46:30PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> > silly.
> > >
> > > Just don't move on without some limit. There are real
> > > cognitive/typographic reasons why excessively long lines hurt
> > > comprehension. This is why both 500 year old books and 5 month old books
> > > have narrow measures.
> >
> > I've made that point and people blithely ignore it.
> >

> When I was debating style wars in the 90's, we adopted a 'wide is OK'
> approach, but with a soft limit of ~130 and a hard limit of 160 in
> exceptional cases. There was some research that showed that there's a
> limited field of view you want to be able to look at the code without
> moving your eyes side to side, just up and down. With the technology of the
> time, above about 130 would be hard to read 'at a glance'. Years later, I
> went looking for those studies, and couldn't find them and the original
> advocate of the view couldn't provide them.
>
> I'm the first to admit that 80 is too few. But 200 is definitely too wide
> and 100-120 seems to still be the sweet spot for my eyes and the range of
> hardware that I use.

I could live with 100.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 20:58               ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-10 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 20:46               ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-11-10 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 20:43             ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 20:39             ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 20:36           ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2017-11-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-11-10 2:05 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> Nemo writes:
>> On 9 November 2017 at 14:14, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:
>>> At least it’s not python where the indenting makes a semantic difference.
>>
>> And for that reason, I have never used Python.  (I have a mental block
>> about that.)

> Separate from this, I think that the whole 80 column thing is a bit silly.
> I have used 132 as by default for a long time now.  Would go wider but just
> because I have always found it worthwhile spending money on the best monitors
> doesn't mean that everyone else can.  Everything including my laptop is now
> a UHD monitor which rocks!
>
> I feel that longer lines work better than one-character variable names.
> And, longer lines are way more readable than wrapped lines.  I have never
> been fond of the notion that code should be broken up into functions for the
> purpose of keeping lines short; I feel that code should be broken up into
> functions if it makes sense to do so, for example if the functions are used
> more than once.  Writing for the limitations of the I/O device doesn't seem
> to be a good paradigm.
>
> In any case, I don't think that being an old UNIX person means that one has
> to live in the past.  There was nothing magic about 80 columns; it was just
> the technology of the time.  Technology has changed, so move on.

Just don't move on without some limit. There are real
cognitive/typographic reasons why excessively long lines hurt
comprehension. This is why both 500 year old books and 5 month old books
have narrow measures.

80 might be too narrow for most, but at some point beyond 132 is "too
far". :)

--Toby

> Jon

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-10 19:05         ` Jon Steinhart
From: Jon Steinhart @ 2017-11-10 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-10 16:18       ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-11-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 November 2017 at 14:14, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:
> At least it’s not python where the indenting makes a semantic difference.

And for that reason, I have never used Python.  (I have a mental block
about that.)

As an 80-column aside, my alma mater allowed free runs in PL/C
(remember that?) on card decks.  I always numbered my cards in columns
73+ (and that save me from my clumsiness more than once).  One day,
they decided to read in all 80 columns.  Easily fixed by programming a
card-punch to add /* and */ but highly annoying.  But using cards
probably baked 80 columns into my head.

N.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-09 20:46     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-11-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Hopkins wrote:
> Forth code needs stack comments on every line to be readable, and 40
> columns makes that damn hard to do.

I have never used shadow screens, but it sounds like they would help
with this.

> http://www.donhopkins.com/home/archive/forth/supdup.f

I'm dazed, this packs so much obsolete technology it's totally awesome!

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-09 19:14     ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-11-09 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

At least it’s not python where the indenting makes a semantic difference.

From: Don Hopkins @ 2017-11-09 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.donhopkins.com/home/archive/forth/supdup.f <http://www.donhopkins.com/home/archive/forth/supdup.f>

http://www.donhopkins.com/home/code/tomt-cam-forth-scr.txt <http://www.donhopkins.com/home/code/tomt-cam-forth-scr.txt>

http://www.donhopkins.com/home/code/tomt-users-forth-scr.txt <http://www.donhopkins.com/home/code/tomt-users-forth-scr.txt>

( GASHV: horizontal/vertical gas with collisions)       24 LOAD
    ( rotate right/left depending on time phase; do collisions)
: RULE0      KC0 IF
            C0 ELSE
         T0 0= IF
          Y0 ELSE
          X0 THEN
               THEN ;
                                                        ( echo)

-Don

> On 9 Nov 2017, at 08:24, Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> ron minnich wrote:
>> So, 80 column folks
>
> And then there's old-school Forth style, where lines are limited to 64
> characters.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-09  7:24 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-11-09  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-09  6:52       ` Otto Moerbeek
From: Otto Moerbeek @ 2017-11-09  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 12:46:52AM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>  |On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>  |> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:52:03PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
>  |>> So, 80 column folks, would you find this
>  |>> a(b,
>  |>> c,
>  |>> d)
>  |>>
>  |>> more readable than
>  |>> a(b,c,d)
>
> Someone who is no longer on this list said to the same topic to
> me, in October:
>
>   Wer zu schnell nach Rechts kommt, strukturiert zu wenig ;-)
>
>   Who approaches the right too fast, does not structure enough

Can related to that very much, I take it as a hint that my nesting
gets too deep when I'm hitting the right margin.

	-Otto

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-09  1:00             ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2017-11-09  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 04:43:05PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> > Sure, my laptop can.  But what about the ones that can't?
>
> That's why I think this argument doesn't hold up well. If we're to
> consider those, then what about the ones that can't handle two
> 80-column windows at the font size required by the user?

At the end of the day we have to pick *something*.  Since those of us
older farts with the older eyes tend to have more say, thankfully its
stayed at 80 columns as opposed to people who can say "I have *no*
trouble with terminals at 6 point font, what's your problem?"

Sure it's arbitrary, but it's arbitrary the same way that if you want to
make sure a car or an RV is legal in all states in the US, it had
better not be more than 96 inches (8 feet).  Most states will allow
102 inches (8.5 feet); but funny thing --- car manufacturers hate
having multiple SKU's for different states.

Heck, for that matter, chosing 8 bits for a byte and making words be
mulitples of 8 bits was arbitrary.  I'm sure the designer of 18-bit
and 36-bit machines thought so, anyway....

						- Ted

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-09  0:04             ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-11-09  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> It killed 80 columns, but not 8 character hard tabs!
>
> Whoever came up with 4 column tabs should be shot. ;)

One employer used sw=4, so I got used to using ^T (and still do).  The
next employer insisted upon tab=4 and hard tabs, but I still insisted upon
ta=8.  Then, one day, I misread the indentation in a legacy C program with
8-tabs and some 4-tab mods, with disastrous results...

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 23:49           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-11-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/8/2017 6:24 PM, Andy Kosela wrote:

> On Thursday, November 9, 2017, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net
> <mailto:krewat at kilonet.net>> wrote:
>

>     xterms killed that requirement for me a long time ago.
>

> I still use 80 columns on my xterms.  Like Larry said, most things in
> Unix still looks perfect on 80 columns display, plus it's easier to
> read -- less eye movements from left to right. If you think about it,
> regular books have a similar format.  It has been
> scientifically proven that very long lines are just harder and
> slower to read.

Besides programming, system administration and other tasks these days
sometimes requires a few more columns than 80:

http://pdp10.kilonet.org/images/xterm.jpg

And that's just one example.

I forgot to mention my using xterms past 80 columns wasn't so much about
writing code (although, I do regularly go past 80 columns) but general
UNIX stuff too.

--

BTW, no disrespect to anyone here, whatever floats your boat ;)

@ 2017-11-08 23:46     ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-11-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
 |On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
 |> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:52:03PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
 |>> So, 80 column folks, would you find this
 |>> a(b,
 |>> c,
 |>> d)
 |>>
 |>> more readable than
 |>> a(b,c,d)

Someone who is no longer on this list said to the same topic to
me, in October:

  Wer zu schnell nach Rechts kommt, strukturiert zu wenig ;-)

  Who approaches the right too fast, does not structure enough

More or less.  In the context that i turned to space indentation
when i started using C not C++.

 |> yeah, I do.  I work on thinkpad x220 sized machines which are just \
 |> big enough
 |> for two 80 column windows with a little left over.  When I'm checking \
 |> in code,
 |> reviewing code, debugging code, I frequently want to see two versions \
 |> of the
 |> same file side by side.  If you code wider than 80 columns it greatly \
 |> reduces
 |> the speed at which you can figure out what happened.

I missed the possibility in screen(1), now in tmux(1) i can use

  bind-key -T prefix       <      set-window-option force-width 80
  bind-key -T prefix       >      set-window-option force-width 0

again.

 |The thing that sort of vexes me about these arguments is that the
 |number 80 is so arbitrary. If you can fit two 80 column windows
 |side-by-side, then surely you could do the same with two 78-, 72- or
 |even 64-column windows. So why not 64, 72 or 78 columns?

Whatever you say, i only wanted to add that "Human attention" is
only so far stretchable, and that readers likely cannot grasp line
lengths of that size, especially if densely packed or the
surrounding lines are of significantly different length.  Some
neurologist could surely correct me.
With tab indentation, a function with one level of conditionals
eats up 16 rows, so the more or less ideal line length of 64 (if
i recall correctly Knuth advocated 66) is the result.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 23:39             ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-11-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Ron Natalie wrote:

>> I still do...  I even had a Betamax VCR at one time; damned hard trying
>> to find tapes for it, but.
>
> Ah yes, the slightly less popular beta format.

Yeah; although technically inferior, VHS had about twice the recording
time and hence won (mediocrity rules the market).

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 23:35           ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-11-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 23:28         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-11-08 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 23:24         ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2017-11-08 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 23:15         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-11-08 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 23:15       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-11-08 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 23:07     ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2017-11-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 22:30   ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-11-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 22:17 ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2017-11-08 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/08/2017 01:52 PM, ron minnich wrote:
> So, 80 column folks,

I don't consider myself to be an 80 column person.  -  I default my
XTerm windows to 132 x 50.  (Rows matter less.)

> would you find this
> a(b,
> c,
> d)
>
> more readable than
> a(b,c,d)

I don't know if it plays into preferences or not, but I do find that
having things on one line makes it significantly easier to
programmability modify the line with a Regular Expression.

Maybe I need to learn some more about RE's to make working across lines
easier.

> would you have code review software that automatically bounces out lines
> that are 82 columns wide? How far does this go?

My $EMPLOYER does have CR processes that complain about lines longer
than 80 characters.

> I do recall 80 column monitors, but I started on 132 column decwriter
> IIs and hence have never had sympathy for 80 columns. It's weird that so

Interesting.  I wonder if that's where the 132 column (alternative)
standard came from.  I.e. XTerm's "Allow 80/132 Column Switching" option
in the VT Options menu.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: Dan Cross @ 2017-11-08 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

>> > Not really.  Programmers need windows side by side.  Lots and lots of bit
>> > mapped displays can handle 2 80 column windows at a reasonable font size.
>>
>> Lots of them can also handle two 100 column windows, or perhaps more
>
> Sure, my laptop can.  But what about the ones that can't?

That's why I think this argument doesn't hold up well. If we're to
consider those, then what about the ones that can't handle two
80-column windows at the font size required by the user?

>> > And I made the point about side by side diff tools.
>>
>> But what about 3-way merge tools?
>
> Dude, you're talking to the guy that invented distributed source management
> and has written what is likely the best 3 way merge tool on the planet (jk,
> it's good though).  My 3 way merge
>
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [ left version ] [ right version ]
>         [       merge      ] [   help    ]
>         [       merge      ] [   help    ]
>         [       merge      ] [   help    ]
>
> Works great!

Touche. :-)

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:40         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 21:40         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-11-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>>[..]
>> And I made the point about side by side diff tools.
>
> But what about 3-way merge tools?

Another small point about this: consider that `diff` et al prepend
special characters to the beginning of a line in their output. So if
one wants to run e.g., `diff -u a.c b.c`, and the line-length limit in
a source file is 80 characters, then won't one see a non-trivial
amount of either wrap-around or truncation in diff output? This,
again, begs the question of why not use a shorter line-length limit
than the presumed maximum screen width?

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:34       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-11-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 04:19:49PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:

>> > yeah, I do.  I work on thinkpad x220 sized machines which are just big enough
>> > for two 80 column windows with a little left over.  When I'm checking in code,
>> > reviewing code, debugging code, I frequently want to see two versions of the
>> > same file side by side.  If you code wider than 80 columns it greatly reduces
>> > the speed at which you can figure out what happened.
>>
>> The thing that sort of vexes me about these arguments is that the
>> number 80 is so arbitrary.
>
> Not really.  Programmers need windows side by side.  Lots and lots of bit
> mapped displays can handle 2 80 column windows at a reasonable font size.

Lots of them can also handle two 100 column windows, or perhaps more
realistically 82- or 85-column windows, but here's the thing that I
don't buy about that argument: if given a large enough screen,
proponents would claim that they needed 3 side-by-side windows instead
of two. As a simple test, I can put two 100x75 windows side-by-side on
my desktop here at work, using a font size big enough for my
deteriorating eyesight. I can fit three 80x75 windows next to one
another, but I can fit *4* 60-column windows next to each other.

> And I made the point about side by side diff tools.

But what about 3-way merge tools?

> And I made the point about being able to read down the center and get the
> rest through peripheral vision.
>
> Would I like wider?  Not really, at this point the vast majority of the
> code I look at, the man pages and other docs I look, they all fit in 80
> columns.  Sure, you could pick something else but you are just fighting
> reality.
>
> It's like video on phones.  We still call it taping.  Probably still will
> in a 100 years.  Where's the tape?  In history.

Language is a funny thing. Well, I better get back in the saddle and
write some code.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:28       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-11-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:

> It's like video on phones.  We still call it taping.  Probably still will
> in a 100 years.  Where's the tape?  In history.

I thought I was the only one who still called it "taping" when recording
to digital media.

-uso.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:24     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-08 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-08 21:19   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2017-11-08 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:52:03PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
>> So, 80 column folks, would you find this
>> a(b,
>> c,
>> d)
>>
>> more readable than
>> a(b,c,d)
>
> yeah, I do.  I work on thinkpad x220 sized machines which are just big enough
> for two 80 column windows with a little left over.  When I'm checking in code,
> reviewing code, debugging code, I frequently want to see two versions of the
> same file side by side.  If you code wider than 80 columns it greatly reduces
> the speed at which you can figure out what happened.

The thing that sort of vexes me about these arguments is that the
number 80 is so arbitrary. If you can fit two 80 column windows
side-by-side, then surely you could do the same with two 78-, 72- or
even 64-column windows. So why not 64, 72 or 78 columns?

Being tethered to a 1960s hardware standard has always struck me as
odd and the justifications have an "after-the-fact" quality to them.
Sure, 80-columns seems to be approaching some cognitive optimum, but
when I see things like deliberate misspellings or grammar errors to
keep a comment under the 80-column maximum, I feel like something's
wrong.

My own feeling is that programmers should be given some latitude to
make the correct decision in this domain, and that individual excesses
should be addressed in the code review process. That said, I once
worked in a code base (in Common Lisp, no less!) where the standard
was 100 columns, but this was frequently exceeded (I think I measured
that, out of a half-million or so lines of CL, something like 10% were
longer than 100 characters).

> So the question isn't what you said above, it's do you want to have to
> reach for the horizontal scrollbar constantly?  Maybe you do, I don't.

I think this is the wrong question: why would it be constantly? Even
in code-bases with longer code limits, I claim that the vast majority
of lines should be far less than the limit. What's the median line
length? 90% percentile? Etc.

> And you could say "get a higher res screen" which I'm doing, my 1920x1600
> carbon x1 is on the way.  But
>
>         (a) I still have lots of x220, x230 screens that are useful
>         (b) I can't see a font smaller than what I'm using, the x1
>             will be 2 80 column windows next to each other.

I'll bet that you could get two 82-column windows side-by-side. :-)
Larry, I'll buy you a beer the next time I'm on the west coast if you
can't.

> All of this boils down to "do you optimize for the reader or optimize for
> the writer".  Ron wants writer, I want reader.  Write once, read many.

I'm not sure I would characterize it that way. I think we all want
reader, but we just differ in how we want to get there.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:18   ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2017-11-08 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Bakul Shah wrote:

> It is this spellingThingsOutInExcruciatingDetail that I find
> hard to read. Whether you use 80 columns or 800.  Why not
> think a bit harder and come up with shorter name?  Fix that
> and you don't need wide columns.

This is how I operate too - I use a lot of abbreviations (one particularly
hairy program I have has "havesnddrv", "iielc", "dblgrx" (have sound
driver, IIe language card, double resolution graphics respectively)).

Of course anyone familiar with the domain of what the program is doing
(it's an Apple ][ emulator) will probably understand the terminology.

-uso.

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:06 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2017-11-08 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 20:52:03 +0000 ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
ron minnich writes:

> So, 80 column folks, would you find this
> a(b,
> c,
> d)
>
> more readable than
> a(b,c,d)

That's still only 7 chars!

> (this is a real example, with slightly shortened names)

It is this spellingThingsOutInExcruciatingDetail that I find
hard to read. Whether you use 80 columns or 800.  Why not
think a bit harder and come up with shorter name?  Fix that
and you don't need wide columns.

Not to mention longer words are easier to misspell (which then
brings in an all singling all dancing IDE...)

> would you have code review software that automatically bounces out lines
> that are 82 columns wide? How far does this go?
>
> I do recall 80 column monitors, but I started on 132 column decwriter IIs
> and hence have never had sympathy for 80 columns. It's weird that so many
> punched-card standards are required in our code bases now (see: Linux).

Shorter lines are just faster to read. Which is why (printed)
newspapers have multiple columns.

>  moving away from serious ... (look for Presottos' I feel so liberated ...)
>
> http://comp.os.plan9.narkive.com/4W8iThHW/9fans-acme-fonts

Funny. To adjust column width in acme I use monospace font
and a file called "ruler" (reproduced below):

          1         2         3         4         5         6         7
01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789
        |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 21:02 ` Larry McVoy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-11-08 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:52:03PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
> So, 80 column folks, would you find this
> a(b,
> c,
> d)
>
> more readable than
> a(b,c,d)

yeah, I do.  I work on thinkpad x220 sized machines which are just big enough
for two 80 column windows with a little left over.  When I'm checking in code,
reviewing code, debugging code, I frequently want to see two versions of the
same file side by side.  If you code wider than 80 columns it greatly reduces
the speed at which you can figure out what happened.

So the question isn't what you said above, it's do you want to have to
reach for the horizontal scrollbar constantly?  Maybe you do, I don't.

And you could say "get a higher res screen" which I'm doing, my 1920x1600
carbon x1 is on the way.  But

	(a) I still have lots of x220, x230 screens that are useful
	(b) I can't see a font smaller than what I'm using, the x1
	    will be 2 80 column windows next to each other.

All of this boils down to "do you optimize for the reader or optimize for
the writer".  Ron wants writer, I want reader.  Write once, read many.

--lm

* [TUHS] 80 columns ...
@ 2017-11-08 20:52 ron minnich
                   ` (3 more replies)