The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] net neutrality
@ 2017-12-11 20:13 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-12-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole

    > Just like the electric company, needs to deliver electrons at some
    > rate/force.

If you want electrons at more than X bazillion per second, you'll have to pay
to have a higher-amperage service. And if you use more electrons, you pay
more. What's your problem with ISPs doing the same?

      Noel

* [TUHS] net neutrality
@ 2017-12-11 20:14 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-12-11 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 03:13:18PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Clem Cole
>
>     > Just like the electric company, needs to deliver electrons at some
>     > rate/force.
>
> If you want electrons at more than X bazillion per second, you'll have to pay
> to have a higher-amperage service. And if you use more electrons, you pay
> more. What's your problem with ISPs doing the same?

They already do that.  You pay based on how fast you want it to be.  Just
like the electrons.

We regulate utility companies for a reason.

* [TUHS] net neutrality
@ 2017-12-11 20:18   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-12-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, the net neutrality thread is way too off-topic for TUHS.
Please continue the conversation off the list.

Many thanks, Warren

* [TUHS] net neutrality
@ 2017-12-11 21:09 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-12-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gmail, you just hit m and the thread is gone.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
>
>     > Did you read the reddit link I sent?
>
> No, because I despise Reddit.
>
>     > Because if you had you wouldn't be asking this.
>
> Now that I look at it, most of what I lists is ISP's _blocking_ sites.
> I _already_ said I wanted to see a rule preventing that.
>
>     > unregulated businesses will do whatever they can to make more money
> with
>     > absolutely no concern about the consequences
>
> Sure - like content providers.
>
>       Noel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] net neutrality
@ 2017-12-11 20:27 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-12-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-11 20:13 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-12-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 03:10:22PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
>
>     > look at the history, various ISPs like Verizon, Comcast, etc, have done
>     > stuff like block bittorrent, skype, etc
>
> Bittorrent is a complex situation, some ISPs were ordered by a court to block
> it.
>
> As to Skype, I agree ISPs shouldn't block sites - but if you read my message,
> I already said that.
>

>     > The problem is I paid for the bits.  Bits is bits.  I paid for a rate,
>     > that's what they got paid for, why should they get to charge a second
>     > time for the same bits? That's exactly what they want to do.
>
> Fine, you pay your money, you get X Mbits/second.
>
> If you (or the site you're getting bits from) wants _more_ than X
> Mbits/second, charging you - or them, which is I gather mostly what ISPs want
> to do - for that privilege is a problem... how?

Did you read the reddit link I sent?  Because if you had you wouldn't be
asking this.  I took the time to go find it, it lays out past bad behaviour
that is nothing like what you are suggesting.  It took me a while to find
it, you could at least scan it and then maybe there is a conversation to
be had (not sure what though, it's pretty obvious in this, and pretty much
every other case, that unregulated businesses will do whatever they can to

@ 2017-12-11 20:10 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-12-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-12-11 19:48   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-12-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> The problem is I paid for the bits.  Bits is bits.  I paid for a rate,

​Amen brother...   they must be made a common carrier.  Just like a
shipping contain is 'said to contain' - they don't get to peek inside.
The bits are not theirs.   They have one and only one job -- delivery them.
Just like the electric company, needs to deliver electrons at some
rate/force.   They don't get to say I what I use them for.   The bits
coming in/going out are between me and the side I am communicating.

They are carriers i.e. plumbing --- which of course they do not like.   It
means its a lot hard for them to differentiate themselves other than in
service and price for delivery.   Period.

Clem​

@ 2017-12-11 19:36 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2017-12-11 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 02:23:28PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> This whole 'net neutrality' campaign drives me completely crazy.
>
> If all people wanted was a rule saying 'ISPs can't give third parties _worse_
> service, or - more importantly - deny service altogether, unless those parties
> pay up' (i.e. what would amount to targeted extortion), I'd be _all for_ a
> rule like that.
>
> But the 'net neutrality' aficionados (most of whom, I'm fairly sure, are not
> aware of/thinking about these details) are all signing up for a much more
> expansive rule, one that says 'no ISP can offer anyone _better_ service for
> paying more money' - which is quite different. My problems with this latter
> form are two-fold.

So that's not at all the case.  Go look at the history, various ISPs like
Verizon, Comcast, etc, have done stuff like block bittorrent, skype, etc,
anything that they decided wasn't in their interest.

The problem is I paid for the bits.  Bits is bits.  I paid for a rate,
that's what they got paid for, why should they get to charge a second
time for the same bits?  That's exactly what they want to do.  You
pay them, you pay netflix, you've paid for the carrier, you've paid
for the content, oh, you want it to actually stream?  Too bad, Netflix
didn't pay their extortion so your movie watching sucks.

Don't believe me?  OK, how about this?

https://np.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/comments/7i595b/will_the_repeal_of_net_neutrality_actually_help/dqwzn1g/